PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue retraining a feat, need suggestions

ZeroSpace9000
2016-10-06, 08:25 PM
I'm looking over options to tune up the Rogue I'm playing right now, and I'm focusing specifically on my feats today. I plan on keeping most of them, though for reference I've got:
Skill Focus (UMD)
Bookish Rogue
Weapon Finesse (Bonus feat)
Extra Rogue Talent (Underhanded)
Improved Init

Of the lot here, the Rogue Talent I took is really not working out like I'd hoped, and I'm considering options to replace it. What I'm looking to do is improved my combat prowess, as I'd specc'ed more as a social rogue, but that's turned out kinda underwhelming. I have ranged options that will help immensely, namely crossbow+Gravity Bow. One thing I've considered for later is Barroom Brawler at next levelup, to pick up corner-case feats as needed, but a lot of the juicy ones have a 1 or 2 feat tax on them. What I want is suggestions for an entry-level feat that opens up interesting options.

Thanks in advance for your help, playground.

Geddy2112
2016-10-06, 09:35 PM
Underhanded is an incredibly good rogue talent, but it does require some finesse(pun intended) to pull off. It requires a surprise round, which means that not everyone is aware, and generally if you are going to gank somebody sneak attack people will notice. If you manage to stealth and things are not aware of you, but so long as all characters/monsters on all sides are aware, then no surprise.

If your DM is not a big fan of surprise rounds or does not use the rules, then it is worthless. I like the idea of baroom brawler because you could always get underhanded back as a feat if you needed, but you could get deadly aim, or any other ranged boosting feat as well. Or if nothing else, dodge. It is good to have flexibility.

Psyren
2016-10-06, 11:07 PM
Get Skill Focus Stealth. Not only is it a decent increase (+6 untyped at level 10 or higher), but it qualifies you for the excellent Hellcat Stealth (i.e. HiPS) and Dampen Presence (i.e. Darkstalker.)

Also, see if your GM will let you retrain into Unchained Rogue.

Topaz
2016-10-06, 11:19 PM
I'll second Dodge; if you want to open up a whole forest of Feat Trees, retrain to Dodge, add Mobility for your next feat, and then you can go all kinds of ways to become the master of moving on the battlefield. As long as you are keeping your Acrobatics high enough to avoid AoOs (and I'm assuming you are), Dodge+Mobility+Spring Attack means maximizing your Flanking opportunities.

ZeroSpace9000
2016-10-06, 11:53 PM
Good suggestions all. I've got some ideas already, but this is food for thought. One amusing feat I saw was Mirror Move; the idea of being a copy fighter struck me as potential hilarity. Worth the effort?

Also, can't believe I didn't state it in the OP, but I am playing an Unchained Rogue already, Psyren. It's why I have Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. Finesse Training 1, BTW, is set to daggers, mainly for concealment reasons.

neversterling
2016-10-07, 07:31 AM
I'm looking over options to tune up the Rogue I'm playing right now, and I'm focusing specifically on my feats today. I plan on keeping most of them, though for reference I've got:
Skill Focus (UMD)
Bookish Rogue
Weapon Finesse (Bonus feat)
Extra Rogue Talent (Underhanded)
Improved Init

Of the lot here, the Rogue Talent I took is really not working out like I'd hoped, and I'm considering options to replace it. What I'm looking to do is improved my combat prowess, as I'd specc'ed more as a social rogue, but that's turned out kinda underwhelming. I have ranged options that will help immensely, namely crossbow+Gravity Bow. One thing I've considered for later is Barroom Brawler at next levelup, to pick up corner-case feats as needed, but a lot of the juicy ones have a 1 or 2 feat tax on them. What I want is suggestions for an entry-level feat that opens up interesting options.

Thanks in advance for your help, playground.

Probably should get rid of Underhanded, unless you have a reliable source of Invisibility and don't mind starting the fight alone.

If you have TWF, get ITWF. The -5 is a non-issue with debilitating injury, or Quick Draw or Rapid Reload since it seems like you like a ranged/switch hitter.

Maybe Twist Away for some good Fort saves.

I really don't favor Dodge, or Barroom Brawler on a non-Fighter/non-Monk/someone without encyclopedia knowledge of Combat Feats. Extra Rogue Talent is not a combat feat, but it is a feat you should probably take at level 11, 13, and 15 for the Advanced Rogue Talents.
There are so many juicy ones.

ZeroSpace9000
2016-10-07, 08:05 AM
Probably should get rid of Underhanded, unless you have a reliable source of Invisibility and don't mind starting the fight alone.

If you have TWF, get ITWF. The -5 is a non-issue with debilitating injury, or Quick Draw or Rapid Reload since it seems like you like a ranged/switch hitter.

Maybe Twist Away for some good Fort saves.

I really don't favor Dodge, or Barroom Brawler on a non-Fighter/non-Monk/someone without encyclopedia knowledge of Combat Feats. Extra Rogue Talent is not a combat feat, but it is a feat you should probably take at level 11, 13, and 15 for the Advanced Rogue Talents.
There are so many juicy ones.

I don't have TWF, and even if I did, I wouldn't meet the BAB requirements till level 8, so I couldn't take it until 9 unless I wanted to burn the Combat Trick talent on it. Rapid Reload is also an 'eh' feat, as I don't get iterative attacks yet, and when I do there's the option of shortbows.

I see why you would be hesitant about Barroom Brawler, but honestly I can easily scout out feats in advance and keep a list handy for those special situations. And as for taking Extra Talent for advanced talents, the issue there is I doubt I'll get high enough for that to matter. The DM has said he's not interested in power-leveling at all, and in the 6 months of playing almost weekly sessions, we've only leveled once.

Twist Away looks interesting, but I'm eyeing a dip into Brawler very closely, which would address my Fort Save issues. I'll still keep an eye on this though.