PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Conjuration questions

bookkeeping guy
2016-10-07, 01:36 AM
So I did look at past threads on Shadow Conjuration and the spell description. There are still many things unanswered despite how many previous threads there are on this.

Differences between monster summoning and this spell fail to fully line out the differences. For example...monster summoning 1 or (insert version here) fully describe duration and number of monster summons including strength.

Shadow conjuration doesn't state anywhere how many monsters are summoned. I've looked at many threads and can't find this. Is it just summoning 1 or more than one?

I am confused about the summons durations too.

Also if its being used by like a warlock type wouldn't they be making some kind of deal with the summons for long term employment? and what would be the exchange?

Name1
2016-10-07, 01:58 AM
Are you talking about this spell right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm)?

If yes... It does everything the same way the choosen Conjuration does, except where noted otherwise. If you use it on Summon Monster I, you get to make the same choices as if you had cast Summo Monster I.

Necroticplague
2016-10-07, 05:46 AM
So I did look at past threads on Shadow Conjuration and the spell description. There are still many things unanswered despite how many previous threads there are on this.

Differences between monster summoning and this spell fail to fully line out the differences. For example...monster summoning 1 or (insert version here) fully describe duration and number of monster summons including strength.

Shadow conjuration doesn't state anywhere how many monsters are summoned. I've looked at many threads and can't find this. Is it just summoning 1 or more than one?

I am confused about the summons durations too.

Also if its being used by like a warlock type wouldn't they be making some kind of deal with the summons for long term employment? and what would be the exchange?

It probably wasn't discussed in other threads because it's not really ambiguous.

You use material from the Plane of Shadow to shape quasi-real illusions of one or more creatures, objects, or forces. Shadow conjuration can mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning) or conjuration (creation) spell of 3rd level or lower.
So, except for the quai-realness factor, it functions exactly as whatever summoning spell you chose it to act like, so it could be a summon monster 1 ,2, or 3. So the monsters are 'whatever's on the mimicked spells list', duration is 'as the mimicked spell', amount of monsters is 'as the mimicked spell'.

Also, you can't make deals with summons for long term employment. Summoning spells only last 1 round/CL, regardless of what you do. That kind of deal is the province of Calling spells (i.e, Planar Binding), not Summoning spells.

Mordaedil
2016-10-07, 07:34 AM
I'll be honest, I kinda expected this to be more a vein of "how real is 20% of a honey badger" than "but how many do you summon" kind of a question...