PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [Template] True colour dragon.

smoke prism
2016-10-07, 07:37 AM
An idea I had for a template. I'll post the actual template later, but for now, I'll leave you with the description of the true colour Dragon.

What do you guys think ?

The true colour dragons are a rare sub-species of chromatic and metallic dragons whos bloodline is more pure than there kin.

This pure bloodline makes them exemplary members of there species.

It also has a secondery and less well know perk, it makes them extremely close to the original blood of there progenitor (Bahumat for metallic dragons and Tiamat for chromatic dargons. To this day, there have been no confirmed reports of true colour dragons who have Io as there progenitor).

This divine blood typically shows its self either at birth or during extream (for a Dragon) age. It rarely if ever manifests in between these two extreames.

The apperance of a true colour Dragon dosent depart greatly from that of there kin, but they do have tell tales signs of difference. The most common sign is that they are are covered in a translucent aura of flames that match there colour. Other common signs are: sleeker bodies, gold or silver symbols carved into there scales and eyes with an alien glow in them.

An important think to understand about true colour dragons is, that whilst they have a blood connection to the Gods, they aren't compelled to act in accordance with that Gods tenets.

True colour dragon: (What I've got so far)

Initiative:
Initiative is recalculated because of the increase to dexterity.
Speed:
All of the True colour dragon’s speeds increase by 30 feet, and any flying speed they possess goes to perfect maneuverability.
Armour class:
True colour dragon gains a deflection bonus to AC, equal to their charisma bonus.
Special qualities:
Divine Blood :
Due to the divine blood that flows through their veins, each true colour dragon gains access to a special selection of powers. A true colour dragon gains a number of blood points, as shown below. These points are spent to acquire the powers below, ones they are spent, the choice is permanent. Unless over wise noted, they can only be taken once.
Atributes:
Str: +8 , Dex: +8 , Con : +8 , Cha: +10
CR:

smoke prism
2016-10-07, 07:40 AM
Reserved just in case.

khadgar567
2016-10-07, 07:48 AM
An idea I had for a template. I'll post the actual template later, but for now, I'll leave you with the description of the true colour Dragon.

What do you guys think ?

The true colour dragons are a rare sub-species of chromatic and metallic dragons whos bloodline is more pure than there kin.

It also has a secondery and less well know perk, it makes them extremely close to the original blood of there progenitor (Bahumat for metallic dragons and Tiamat for chromatic dargons. To this day, there have been no confirmed reports of true colour dragons who have Io as there progenitor).

This divine blood typically shows its self either at birth or during extream (for a Dragon) age. It rarely if ever manifests in between these two extreames.

The apperance of a true colour Dragon dosent depart greatly from that of there kin, but they do have tell tales signs of difference. The most common sign is that they are are covered in a translucent aura of flames that match there colour. Other common signs are: sleeker bodies, gold or silver symbols carved into there scales and eyes with an alien glow in them.

An important think to understand about true colour dragons is, that whilst they have a blood connection to the Gods, they aren't compelled to act in accordance with that Gods tenets.
I think you may want to ditch colored flame from fluff and give them unnatural shine on their bodies since they also have divine tattoos to show their power may be give them limited divine casting

smoke prism
2016-10-07, 09:20 AM
I think you may want to ditch colored flame from fluff and give them unnatural shine on their bodies since they also have divine tattoos to show their power may be give them limited divine casting

Just curious as to why you think I should ditch the aura. Also not all of the true colour dragons have the same manifestations, the auras just the most common one.

I also thought about divine spellcasting, but I'm not sure if it fits, as true colour dragons don't necessarily worship ever dragon God.

khadgar567
2016-10-07, 09:41 AM
Just curious as to why you think I should ditch the aura. Also not all of the true colour dragons have the same manifestations, the auras just the most common one.

I also thought about divine spellcasting, but I'm not sure if it fits, as true colour dragons don't necessarily worship ever dragon God.
flames and tattoos dont mix well in my opinion for divine magic they draw directly where deities draw not as worship way but more like a ur priest way were they meditate to shipon divine energy from their blood

MrNobody
2016-10-07, 11:14 AM

What do you guys think ?

I really like the idea, both in the general fluff and in the hint you gave about the realization. Please go on!!!!

I have a couple of suggestion, though.
First, i don't love the idea of the age of manifestation. In part it would explain why there are so few pure color dragons (few dragons come to oldest ages, and many can die while wyrmlings) but it lacks of... grace?
I would prefer an age related scaling system: either the dragon borns pure or.it will never become. However, passing from one age to the other the gifts of the pure.blood intensify.

Second, you may a list of optional abilities out of the "signs of purity" (flames=aoe damage; runes = add divine spells to list, ecc) that can be chosen while applying the template. Fluff aside, it would be a nice way to show at a mecanical level why some dragons have a specific sign and others don't.
If you like the suggestion of the scaling power i gave you above you can mix it with this second idea: at every category of.age a pure color dragon could chose an additional sign to manifest (some, like runes.for.spells, could be taken.more than once), increasing its pure and its pure aspect!

I hope i helped! 😁

tantric
2016-10-07, 05:53 PM
way back in the day, in dragon magazine, there where the prismatic dragons - gems, neutral alignment with psychic powers. loved that. in my world, the dragon gods had colors that existed no where else:

Bear Rootclaw is the Orpiment Dragon, and the Mother of the Sun, the Handmaiden, and Subtyrannus with her first husband, Owl. With Lion Eyeblade she bore Tiger. She is practical, steady and stabile, moving slowly and then only to better see her Children. (Taurus) Staid

Owl Allknowing the Umber Dragon is, of course, the Dragon of Knowledge. He is Bear Rootclaw's twin brother. He is the only stationary Celestial, always staying at the zenith.

Lion Eyeblade is the Mate of Bear, and the Father of the Three Great Wyrms. He is colored Gamboge, and most Regal of the Celestials. Eyeblade always attempts to circle the other Dragons, to keep them in Check, but his Pride is too large for that to be really practical. (Leo)

Wolf Homecall the Elves name Perse. He is the Mate of Seal, and the Father of Hidestar, Darkseer and Hsi Lung. He is the Dragon of Ethics, and is devoted to his Wife, keeping her from harm in her Wanderings. (Virgo)

Seal Spiralfalls is the Ultramarine Dragon. She is Introverted and Moody, but Nurturing (and the Ur-mother). In the Skies she follows a lazy spiral, heedless of the other Wanderers, and often only the call of Wolf saves her. (Cancer)

Viper Hidestar is colored Sloe, often invisible against the garish night. He is Secretive and Vindictive, but Powerful. Hidestar often stalks those who have wronged Him, especially Firefog. (Scorpio)

Bat Darkseer is the Dragon of Ambition and Duty. Her Color is Heliotrope, and She follows the Path of the Sun through the Night. (Capricorn)

Monkey Silvertoes is the Amaranthine Dragon, the lord of Language, Speed and Thought. He is the fastest of the Wanderers, ever pursuing but never conjoining. He is the Brother of Sliptongue, and the Child of Viper and Bat. (Gemini) It should be noted that Monkeys are somewhat mythical creatures - or least very scarce on Worldstree.

Otter Sliptongue, colored Ecru, is the Dragon of Balance and Diplomacy. Ever he seeks to come between Tiger and His prey, so that His Balance will send the Cerise Dragon on another course, should the prey be too weak. (Libra)

Tiger Firefog is the Dragon of Nobility and Righteousness, whom the Elves color Cerise. He is reckless and vengeful, chasing all the other Celestials but for Dolphin Fargoer, who is His Sister. (Sagittarius)

Dolphin Fargoer the Chartreuse is the Dragon of Adventure. Her impulsiveness and rash whimsies send Her to the far corners of the Skies, but Her way home is always lit by Her Brother, the Tiger. (Aries)

Sloth Wandereyes is the Outsider, unkin to the Other Wanderers. Its color is Moire, and It's Nature is Mystery. The Sloe Dragon is the Lord of Emotions and Intuition, and his Path is fully unpredictable. (Pisces)

smoke prism
2016-10-08, 07:02 AM
I'm thinking I might make a similar but watered down template for those with draconic ancestry (e.g. dragonborn and kobolds).

I'm also thinking of a mixed bloodline template, because a half red/half black Dragon would be terrifying.

smoke prism
2016-10-08, 04:33 PM
Just posted what I've got so far in the OP. Thinks need to be added and the text need to be fixed up, but the bare bones are there. What do people think so far ?