PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spell Point System at Epic Levels

Schattenbach
2016-10-07, 07:59 AM
Hello,

right now I'm pondering about if I should use the Spell Point system or not for one setting that goes way up into epic levels (Level 35+ ... also has a couple of demigods and lesser deities running around) and how to best handle it so ...

... that with the spell point system - as MP like system of spellcasting - in place, the setting itself actually makes sense (one of the most basic issues is that there are still x uses per day abilities
around ... but those can be handwaved away by explaining them as such that the creature/item simply slowly recovers its supernatural power stock for the ability/cannot use it more often because of some natural restriction put in place/ecetera)
... that it doesn't cause any particular compatibility issues with metamagic, spellslots and casting stats going beyond 9 level slots and salient abilities like the Divine Spellcasting salient ability
... that it doesn't go out of hand in regard to the unfairness between caster-types like wizards when compared to the likes of sorcerers (there's always the option of not allowing wizards and the like and to only allow spontaeous spellcasters, but ... I would like to avoid that if possible), maybe by granting them better access to things that make up for their lack of versatility (... as the setting has plenty of dragons and the like, there being a buckload of magic items and artifacts especially suited for, for example, CHA based casters, and magic items tend to slightly even things out between casters as well as between casters and noncasters at epic levels, anyway).
... blasting-type casters & regular non-casters don't end up to kind of get the short end of the stick (more than usual) ... though I guess that, as long as they manage aquire good magic items, they should be somewhat viable (although still at least slightly inefficient)
... there isn't any need for excessiv houseruling & homebrewing stuff but to simply make the system work as it is by using slight adjustments to the setting
... are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Has someone some suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Xar Zarath
2016-10-08, 01:27 AM
Well does the spellcasting PC's spell points accrue even at epic levels? How do epic spells factor into spell point cost?

I admit I haven't figured out spell points with regards to epic play so some other playgrounder with more knowledge on the matter should be able to help you.