PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build Idea for a Scout/Ranger/Swashbuckler thoughts?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 10:21 AM
Allowed book: PH1 and PH2, Complete series, Race books.

Race: Human

Stats:

Str. 10
Con. 10
Dex. 16
Int. 16
Wis. 9
Chr. 12

Level 1: Scout (Feats: Able Learner and Point Blank Shot)
Level 2: Swashbuckler (Weapon Finesse)
Level 3: Ranger (Undead Enemy, Ranged Focus) Feat: Precise Shot
Level 4: Swashbuckler
Level 5: Swashbuckler (Insightful Strike)
Level 6: Scout (Feat: Swift Hunter)
Level 7: Ranger
Level 8: Scout
Level 9: Ranger (Feat: Improved Skirmish)
Level 10: Ranger
Level 11: Ranger
Level 12: Ranger (Feat: Crossbow Sniper)
Level 13: Ranger
Level 14: Ranger
Level 15: Ranger (Feat: Rapid Reload)
Level 16: Ranger
Level 17: Ranger
Level 18: Ranger (Feat: Natural Bond)
Level 19: Ranger
Level 20: Ranger

Thoughts? Changes?

Troacctid
2016-10-07, 11:15 AM
I'd probably ditch the swashbuckler levels. It looks like they're not really doing anything for you.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 11:58 AM
that's possible was thinking insightful strike to take the high INT into damage. but you may be right. replace them with couple fighter levels maybe? to get the feats a bit sooner?

Goby
2016-10-07, 01:28 PM
Insightful strike doesn't apply to ranged attacks, which is what you're building for. If you end up in melee, you're dead with a ten con and d8 hit die.

Swift hunter require scout 3, to get +1 to AC from skirmish, so you need that before 6 to take the feat.

I'd consider changing your stats around if you can, upping con and strength, dropping int and Chr, and building a more straight swift hunter. Remember that any levels other than scout or ranger will hurt your skirmish progression.

Fouredged Sword
2016-10-07, 01:38 PM
The classic is to go

Scout 3 / ranger 17 with greater manyshot to deal lots of attacks after your move. Pick favored enemies to bypass skirmish immunity (undead, constructs, elementals, plants).

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 02:01 PM
ok have not changed stats yet but here is the updated build:

Level 1 Scout: (Skirmish 1d6) (Able Learner, Point Blank Shot)
Level 2 Ranger: (Favored Enemy: Undead) (Track)
Level 3 Scout (Precise Shot) (Uncanny Dodge) (Battle Fort +1)
Level 4 Scout (Fast Movement and Skirmish 1d6 +1AC) (Trackless Step)
Level 5 Scout (Swift Hunter)(Skirmish 2d6 +1AC)
Level 6 Ranger (Improved Skirmish) (Rapid Shot)(Favored Enemy-Elementals)
Level 7 Ranger (Endurance) (Skirmish 2d6 +2 AC)
Level 8 Swashbuckler (Weapon Finesse)
Level 9 Ranger (Animal Companion)(Natural Bond)
Level 10 Ranger (Skirmish 3d6 +2AC)
Level 11 Ranger (Many Shot)
Level 12 Ranger (Feat?)(Favored Enemy-Construct)(Woodland Stride) (Skirmish 3d6 +3 AC)
Level 13 Ranger (Swift Tracker)
Level 14 Ranger (Evasion) (Skirmish 4d6 +3 AC)
Level 15 Ranger (Quick Reconnoiter)
Level 16 Ranger (Improved Precise Shot) (Skirmish 4d6 +4AC)
Level 17 Ranger (Favored Enemy-Plant)
Level 18 ?(Combat Reflexes)
Level 19 ?
Level 20 ?

Thoughts on new build? what should I take I final 3 levels? Feat at level 12?

Darrin
2016-10-07, 02:41 PM
I would also recommend getting rid of Swashbuckler. How about:

Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfing, or Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc
1) Ranger 1. Feat: PB Shot, Bonus: Track. Human: Weapon Focus Light Crossbow. Wild Empathy -> Spiritual Connection ACF (Complete Champion). Favored Enemy: Undead.
2) Ranger 2. Bonus: Rapid Shot.
3) Scout 1. Feat: Rapid Reload. Skirmish 1d6
4) Cloistered Cleric 1. Bonus: Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, Magic Domain (Deity: Io).
5) Ranger 3. Bonus: Heat Endurance (Sandstorm ACF)
6) Scout 2. Feat: Crossbow Sniper.
7) Scout 3. Skirmish 1d6AC+1.
8) Scout 4. Bonus: Swift Hunter. Skirmish 2d6AC+1.
9) Ranger 4. Champion of the Wild ACF -> Bonus: Manyshot (Complete Champion), Feat: Improved Rapid Shot. Animal Companion -> Distracting Attack ACF (PHBII) or Spiritual Guide ACF (Complete Champion).
10) Ranger 5. Favored Enemy: Constructs. Skirmish 3d6AC+2.
11) Dragon Devotee 1.
12) Dragon Devotee 2. Feat: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish 4d6AC+2/6d6AC+4.
13) Dragon Devotee 3. 1st level Sorcerer casting (pick at least 2 divination spells, such as true strike and sniper's shot, ask DM to let skirmish count).
14) Dragon Devotee 4. Skirmish 5d6AC+2/7d6AC+4
15) Unseen Seer 1. Feat: Woodland Archer (RotW). Skirmish 6d6AC+2/8d6AC+4
16) Unseen Seer 2.
17) Unseen Seer 3.
18) Unseen Seer 4. Feat: Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium), Dragonfire Strike (Dragon Magic), or Extra Turning. Skirmish 7d6AC+2/9d6AC+4
19) Highland Stalker 1.
20) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 8d6AC+2/10d6AC+4

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 02:56 PM
highland stalker or unseen seer would be interesting I think as ending possibilities. I have gone away from the crossbow and just went with straight long bow. the reason I like human is the group does not have a skill monkey at all so I was trying to dual as archer and skill monkey :) the group consists of 3 clerics and 1 Duskblade besides me. and I agree dropping swashbuckler seems like the right call for sure.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 03:09 PM
Other races I was considering were Grey Elf
and Raptoran

Darrin
2016-10-07, 05:06 PM
Crossbow Sniper is good for adding half your Dex bonus to damage at any range. You can also stack on more Dex damage with Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium) within 30', and Hit-and-Run Fighter (Drow of the Underdark) against flat-footed opponents within 30'.

Other races I was considering were Grey Elf
and Raptoran

Gray Elf works pretty well, almost as well as human, because you can grab PB Shot as a bonus feat from the Elf domain (Sehanine Moonbow has Dream, Elf, Knowledge, Travel, and Trickery domains).

If you want flight (and most archers do), Dragonborn of Bahamut is better. You can keep your human bonus feat by dropping Endurance instead. Take the Wings aspect, or if you want both wings and a breath weapon, trade one of your existing feats (such as Shield Proficiency) for Dragon Wings.