View Full Version : I Have Been Granted Ultimate Power! (I Want Build Ideas)

TheButterSwan
2016-10-07, 01:57 PM
Hi! So, I've had the rare treat of rolling AMAZING for our next game session. I managed to roll three 16s two 15s and one 13... So with all this power thrust upon me, Im really at a loss. With my gaming group we typically dont build "proper" teams and we usually find ourselves missing a couple roles. So, that doesnt really matter much to me. Its not been specified exactly what we'll be doing, but none of the party seems to know each other and we're going to be kind of randomly thrust into the situation. Heroes? Yes. Any idea of whats going on? No. Anyway, do you guys have any ideas? Perhaps a build that only works with amazing rolls or something of the like?

We allow balanced homebrew/third party material and allow anything first party - including UA. Im a RAF than RAI than RAW kind of guy, but my group typically puts RAW before RAI as sometimes theres too much to search through.

Foxhound438
2016-10-07, 03:22 PM
some good options for you:

Barbarian 2/ warlock x: resistance to damage with fiend patron THP makes for quite a tanky gish, and the high stats will leave you with decent AC on top. Probably go 16/15/16/13/15/16, find something with +2 str for race.

Life cleric 1/ lore bard x: good ol' massive aura of vitality. not much else to be said here.

warlock 1 (or 2)/ monk x: Eldritch blast teir damage (more for most of the game) with far superior utility options. Stun lock a thing and then hit it with your greatsword hands? sign me up. go 15/16/16/13/16/15 and pick something with bonuses to dex. Charisma is not really needed for this build since all the warlock is there for is hex.

aside from that there's always the sorc 3/ other caster x for metamagic on whatever caster you prefer.

Specter
2016-10-07, 03:40 PM
The main difference between having decent rolls and great rolls in terms of class choice is that it opens up to any multiclass imaginable, so go crazy. Paladin/Monk is the most taxing multi of all, for example, but it's open for you, oh holy fist of justice. If you like the idea, go for it. Or Ranger/Paladin, like the old Consecrated Harrier. Or any other concept you'd like to try.

Oramac
2016-10-07, 03:43 PM
I'm probably the weirdo here, but any time I roll that good for stats, I find myself tempted to play a truly badass single-class character.

Anyway what level are you starting at?

The Death Knight in my sig has been playtested pretty well.

Also, 6 Paladin / 14 Sorc is a really strong build that isn't MAD.

Otherwise:

Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank&p=20954743#post20954743) is a ton of fun (and with those stats, you'll be nearly invincible).

TheButterSwan
2016-10-07, 04:38 PM
I'm probably the weirdo here, but any time I roll that good for stats, I find myself tempted to play a truly badass single-class character.

Anyway what level are you starting at?

The Death Knight in my sig has been playtested pretty well.

Also, 6 Paladin / 14 Sorc is a really strong build that isn't MAD.

Otherwise:

Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank&p=20954743#post20954743) is a ton of fun (and with those stats, you'll be nearly invincible).

We're starting at level 5, I believe! I've liked some of these ideas and Im honestly excited to go a little crazy with it!

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-07, 05:13 PM
A character for fun that also works decently in combat and RP. (Would love to play this guy)

Aarakocra (Raven looks)
With bonuses stats come to :
Str 16
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 16
Cha 15

Entertainer background.
For build go all Totem Barbarian.

Pickup a shield at start with your GP and pick a spear and longsword.

Totems would be Eagle (fluff falcon), Bear (fluff Roc), Wolf (fluff Raven).

Skills are:
Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Performance.

This lets you start with 19AC without any armor and as you level 2 of your ASI to max STR and 2 for the feats Shield Master and the UA Spear Mastery feat.

You become hard to hit with good AC, very fast as (falcon) turns your speed to 50 land/ 100flying for a bonus action to dash and disadvantage on AoO against you when dashing. This will increase to 70/120 once your fast movement kicks in. When (Roc) kicks in you can carry up to 540lbs and still fly so you can carry a medium sized person easily either to drop an enemy or help allies.
With feats your spear will become your main weapon and Dex saves become almost no issue and you laugh at fireballs. (+6 on Dex save with advantage. Half damage if you fail, none if you save)

With background go with Tumbler/Dancer/Storyteller
Trait of a hopeless romantic
Ideal of stories and legends must not be forgotten.
Bond of idolizing heroes of old.
Flaw of being a sucker for a pretty face.
My choice for instrument would be Viol so you can work it into your skits.

Earn free room and board by preforming skits as you tell stories of legendary heroes, using Performance and enacting the battles via Dance and Tumbling.
Play on the Trait and Flaw to flirt and fall for the prettiest/most handsome person at your skits.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-07, 05:27 PM
Some sort of gish is the only thing that leaps out for a specifically high-stat character-- with three 16s you could actually go for a strength-based Valor Bard or Bladelock or something, if that's your desire.

Sigreid
2016-10-07, 06:17 PM
Bladsinger, only don't tell the party you're a bladsinger. When things look dark just pull out your weapon and wail. The "what the hell!?!" moment alone will be worth it. :smallbiggrin:

TheButterSwan
2016-10-07, 07:23 PM
A character for fun that also works decently in combat and RP. (Would love to play this guy)

Aarakocra (Raven looks)
With bonuses stats come to :
Str 16
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 16
Cha 15

Entertainer background.
For build go all Totem Barbarian.

Pickup a shield at start with your GP and pick a spear and longsword.

Totems would be Eagle (fluff falcon), Bear (fluff Roc), Wolf (fluff Raven).

Skills are:
Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Performance.

This lets you start with 19AC without any armor and as you level 2 of your ASI to max STR and 2 for the feats Shield Master and the UA Spear Mastery feat.

You become hard to hit with good AC, very fast as (falcon) turns your speed to 50 land/ 100flying for a bonus action to dash and disadvantage on AoO against you when dashing. This will increase to 70/120 once your fast movement kicks in. When (Roc) kicks in you can carry up to 540lbs and still fly so you can carry a medium sized person easily either to drop an enemy or help allies.
With feats your spear will become your main weapon and Dex saves become almost no issue and you laugh at fireballs. (+6 on Dex save with advantage. Half damage if you fail, none if you save)

With background go with Tumbler/Dancer/Storyteller
Trait of a hopeless romantic
Ideal of stories and legends must not be forgotten.
Bond of idolizing heroes of old.
Flaw of being a sucker for a pretty face.
My choice for instrument would be Cool so you can work it into your skits.

Earn free room and board by preforming skits as you tell stories of legendary heroes, using Performance and enacting the battles via Dance and Tumbling.
Play on the Trait and Flaw to flirt and fall for the prettiest/most handsome person at your skits.

This sounds pretty great xD I had actually considered a Grappler as well, but I dont know where to begin with that. Im thinking Rogue/Barbarian but Ive seen a lot of people have mentioned the fact you should figure out a way to get Enlarge Person... Bard/Fighter? Im still open for other ideas because Im loving these so far! I was just also curious how I could make a grappler to worry about? Aarakocra sounds optimal so I dont get surroumded but that also sounds like a lot to set up in this case. Im thinking barbarian would be nice so I could maybe throw people at others?

Gastronomie
2016-10-07, 07:52 PM
I think DEX Paladin 2 / Draconic Sorcerer 3 would be interesting. Perhaps go 15-16-16-13-15-16, and buff this to 15-18-16-13-16-16 with Wood Elf. Or you can use Half-Elves or Variant Humans or whatever you like, whatever really works if your stats are so high.

First ask your DM if it's okay to make a shield the arcane focus for Sorcerer spells as well, or if you can buy a bit-pricey arcane focus for Sorcerers in the form of a smexy tattoo or something that doesn't use up both your hands, and if he says yes to either, go Rapier + Shield. I advice you take the Defense fighting style over Duelist. If he says no, you need to cope with having a rapier in one hand and nothing in the other till you hit 2/4, where you should get War Caster as a Feat. Well, even if he says you can cope with the arcane focus problem, you should still go War Caster either way for advantage on concentration saves, but if the DM is a nice guy you can hold a shield from level 5.

You get good spellcasting, smite hard, are good at tanking, and can use all sorts of fun tricks to help any party. Stuff like Web + Careful Spell are amazing at low levels. The SCAG cantrips (Green-Flame and Booming Blade) help you with damage, even without Extra Attack.

If you think your game ends before level 12 I suggest you go only Paladin 2 or 3, but if your game is going to get to level 20 you might want to go Paladin 6 at some point for Aura of Protection.

Asmotherion
2016-10-07, 10:53 PM
Just for this, I give you MADness:

Blade Warlock 12 Paladin 2 Sorcerer 6
Don't long rest when/if you have downtime, isnstead use 2 consecutive short rests. Each time use your warlock slots to make them Spell Points and then 4th level spell slots. Now you have a much less restricted number of 4th level spell slots to use Divine Smite.

each short rest gives you 20 spellpoint worth of spell slots. A 4th level spell slot costs 7 spell points. With 40 spell point worth from the time of a long rest you can save up 5 spell slots per day. Finally short rest once more for your warlock spell slots, and when the fight with the BBG comes, get all smity.

At the same time you still have Eldritch blast, Agonising and Repelling and hex as an exelant ranged option, And your blade will eventually deal smite+10 damage per hit.

You want 20 Dex 18 Con and 20 cha for this build. If you want a str based weapon, you'll need to increase str as well.

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-08, 01:29 AM
This sounds pretty great xD I had actually considered a Grappler as well, but I dont know where to begin with that. Im thinking Rogue/Barbarian but Ive seen a lot of people have mentioned the fact you should figure out a way to get Enlarge Person... Bard/Fighter? Im still open for other ideas because Im loving these so far! I was just also curious how I could make a grappler to worry about? Aarakocra sounds optimal so I dont get surroumded but that also sounds like a lot to set up in this case. Im thinking barbarian would be nice so I could maybe throw people at others?

Could definitely work with Aarakocra. Replace the feats with tavern brawler and grappler and should be golden. Check with your DM and they may let you still hold weapons and use grapples to grab people with the leg talons if you want to use it while flying.

odigity
2016-10-08, 01:49 AM
Be a great weapon Fighter.

Put the 13 in Str, the rest wherever you like.

djreynolds
2016-10-08, 03:32 AM
elven paladin, swashbuckler, bladesinger.

Gignere
2016-10-08, 09:23 AM
With such stats I would do a Paladin/Bladesinger wielding a whip, get spell sniper so you can GFB and BB with the whip, later nab war caster to do it on an OA. GFB/BB + Smite at 10ft = Sadface DM.

, or a Barbarian/Bard stealing Armor of Agathys and Fireshield and just let the enemies die pounding on your chest.

Shining Wrath
2016-10-08, 01:04 PM
What sounds like fun to you?
I'd say NOT a druid nor a beastmaster ranger - you don't want a class that relies on stats that aren't yours.
If you want to single-class I'd suggest either the partial casters, which tend toward MADness - Eldritch Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Arcane Trickster; or a melee cleric domain (tempest, war).

Based purely on my whim at the moment I'll choose Mountain Dwarf War Domain cleric. Put the 13 in dexterity. After MD adds I'd see [18,13,18] and [15,16,15]. Full plate, shield, warhammer. Take Intimidate as a skill if you can find a good way to do it.

If you want to multiclass you'd be a fearsome Sorcadin.

Temperjoke
2016-10-08, 01:18 PM
I'm normally not one for multiclassing, but with those stats I'd go for a Half-Elf Swashbuckler 14/Lore Bard 6 combo. This would let you leverage a high mix of Charisma and Dexterity, turning you into a jack-of-all trades sort, able to utilize all the bonuses you get from your stats.