PDA

View Full Version : Help me develop system checks to see how my system will handle things.

Telesto
2016-10-07, 03:25 PM
This is for the purpose of thought experiments with one of the 3 systems I am making. The other two systems are simplifications of the main system, meant for gaming by children/quick gaming and an 8-bit version of the system (more complicated but essentially based on investment as one levels, and the actions one gets from that investment).

Anyway, I do not need to bore you with the details, and am lind of averse yo even posting how the system works. What I will give forth is the details necessary to generate thought experiments with the system. At the moment I am working on the Ranger, the bear, the pack of wolves and the BBEG. The idea is that the ability to bond/create/call a bear or a pack of wolves, or a swarm of snakes, etc should all be roughly the same thing, but the bear should do decent damage, the wolves less damage even considering their numbers, and the swarm of snakes should do nearly nothing. It's been fun to work with and see how it pans out.

What I am asking for is system tests generic enough to work for any conceptual system. Assume the system has Dungeons and Dragons-esque abilities, but anyone can access them through level up (so if you wanted to rage and call a pack of wolves to help you fight, you can, if you wanted to sneak attack in a favored terrain, you could, if you wanted to buff the party while sneak attack smashing things with a warhammer, you could). The only issue one faces is the strength of action as you spread yourself out. I've developed the system enough to conceptualize the interactions. What I need is to test how these interact with attempting to do things Dungeons and Dragons might do.

So, from the basic interactions such as my own Ranger, Bear, Wolves, and Swarm vs a BBEG, to complicated interactions which typically may break D&D like shield smacking infinite combos in Pathfinder, what can you come up with to test a system without knowing how the system works?