PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Race Vajra (Some slightly rework)

Shiryu
2016-10-07, 04:25 PM
Hello everyone this is my 2nd try crating a race which i imagined since it is feature for the 5e I decide to introduce the race with answering the questions posted.

Why does my campaign need the race to be playable?
The Storm Giant King Hekaton has disappeared leaving the other giants to run rampant upon the world with nobody to hold them in control. The humans, dwarves, elves, and other small folk of the Sword Coast will be crushed underfoot from the onslaught of these giant foes, but Vajra a race of creatures that residents in the high mountains feeling the balance of the earth changing decide to help the other races to return it to its balance.

Race Lore
These Race was Forged from the pillars of the Patheon and the conflict of Surtur, god of fire(LE) and Moradin, dwarf god of creation LG both the one who were forged from Surtur and Moradin fell on a misty mountain.
The one forged from Surtur had a more tiefling to demonic appearance with 4 arms while moradin make them look more human, a great war between the two same races begun until it was stopped from 3 heroes one Vajra from the Surtur one Vajra of Moradin the last one and the strongest was a Vajra of both-kind together united there race and became leaders.The Leaders of the Race in order to keep the balance between them decide to split the race in two those of the hierarchy of 4 arms became the Vajra of Discord and build there homes in the top of the mountain while the others became the Vajra of Harmony and build a giant Monastery.Of course that race didn't go unnoticed from the other races such as the giants and dwarfs, the dwarfs especially the duergar acknowledge the power of this race but The Storm Giant King Hekaton saw them as a treat to his throne and demand there extermination but it was stopped from the Hero of Vajra and Demi-God of Surtur and Moradin Sura, upon stopping the invasion Sura with the leaders asked politely the storm king for an alliance forgiving him for attacking them. Hekaton acknowledge his wrongdoing and forge an alliance with the Vajra and also gave the leader of Harmony his blessing and a weapon forged from his hand.After this the hero of vajra disappeared and was never been seen or heard the leaders of Harmony and Discord decide to put laws and rules on there kind and gave an Oath of balance that no matter what both evil and good will remain equal.

What does the race look like?

Vajra(Discord)

These race have horns from 3 to 5; the horns are curved inward toward there head and resemble a crown, most of them have tattoos (optional) with silver golden or blood red marks on parts of chest arms face or even legs, there hair are mostly long or medium, there eyes are red, gold and rarely silver depending there bloodline, the characteristics of these race is the two additional arms that they control normally, the height of these creatures stand 6’ 5” for Male and female 6’ 2”. The Vajra never leave the place were they live until they reach Adulthood which starts at 28 years old, Vajra tend to live longer that the average human around 30 with 60 years more, both male and female Vajra are treated equally and both genders can attain the same teachings were its been a sorcery or a fighting skill.There 2nd pair of arms tends to be discomfort when wielding other weapons but most of them tend to practice them to wield stronger weapons.

Vajra(Harmony)
These race have human characteristic tattoos of blood, gold and silver on face chest arms and legs (optional) there hair are mostly short or medium, there are eyes have normal human pupil there arms and especially there fist are way harder than that of normal human there height is the same as there counterpart Vajra but unlike them there female attain to be in some occasion damsel in distress.

Are there interesting conflicts built into the race’s history and culture that make the race compelling from a storytelling standpoint?

Vajra is a race mostly heard in tiefling tales as a race of demon lords who wanted only destruction this race from human history is treated as another demonic race but the truth is the Vajra is a race who focus on wisdom and balance and most of all Harmony and Discord but none of the fey or human race has ever encounter them truly, the only know races who have come with a conflict is the Giants, the Salamanders the dark dwarfs, aarakacroa, Dragons and the most familiar the Djinni.

What is the race’s relationship to the other playable races?

Humans: The Vajra(Discord) see the humans as something alien but most curious to see they really want to get along with most of them but through study they understand they get the same treatment with the tiefling Vajra(Harmony) dont like there other counterpart to be mistreated so they tend to be caution around them.

Dwarfs: The Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) see the dwarfs as short humans and treat them the same but some of the Vajra has come with a strong terms of relationship with the dark dwarfs and so they treat them with a familiar respect.

Fae races ( Wood elf etc): The Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) see them as magic users whom they can learn a lot although they have the patience for teaching, they see them as a race of megalomaniacs who looking down on them so sometimes they will term to have heating conversations.

Halfing/Gnomes: Having to kneel to see the characteristics of these race most of the Vajra(Discord) will end up on the floor laughing on such a goofy shorter than short race and treat them as children of dwarfs hardly taking there actions seriously even if they try to kill them. Vajra(Harmony) tends to see them as cunning trouble makers but good to have one to watch your back instead of stabbing it.

Aarakacroa: Mostly calling them message’s of the sky they have a lot of respect for this race mostly because of the trading deals they make and the news they learn.

Tiefling: The Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) understands the problem this race suffers on the eyes of the other races and so they term to be much friendly with them.

Dragonborn: The Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) try to understand if they are real dragons or just lizards, they don’t get along well most of the vajra see them as lizard vermin bastard sons of dragons.

Genasi: Same as Humans.

Goliath/Half-Orc: Most of the Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) warriros wish to become brothers or sisters in arms with them.

What classes and backgrounds are well suited to members of the race?

Vajra(Discord)

Vajra(Discord) Ability Score Increase +2 Strength and +1 Dexterity.

Vajra(Discord) favors Fighter (especially with archery skill),Barbarian.

4 Arms power: When you roll a str save dice you can reroll it or add your Str modifier.

Vajra(Discord) there 2 other arms can wield two additional light weapons or a light crossbow, or interact with one additional object. on lvl 4 instead of getting a feat or increase your ability score you can spend 10 or more downtime days to practice one of your other 2 arms to be able to wield a martial weapon, at the next ability score you can do the same to the last one.

Vajra(Harmony)

Vajra(Harmony) Ability Score Increase +2 Dexterity and +1 Wisdom.

Masters of Body: When you roll a dexterity save dice you can re roll it or add your dex modifier.

Vajra(Harmony) favors Monk,Cleric (especially Tempest).

Mask of Moradin: You can use this power once as bonus Action and regain it back after a long rest.

Upon wearing a mask of light you can add any of your modifier permanently until the end of the fight on Spell Save,AC, save rolls and attack rolls.

Vajra can carry twice the weight of a normal human.

The Langue they learn are Vajra, Giant, Common / Optional Tiefling, Dwarfish.

Most of the well know backgrounds for Vajra are Acolyte, Criminal, Hermit, Noble, Outlander, Sailor and Soldier.

Most of the Vajra are either Neutral or Chaotic never any Lawful by Law (ironically the gods who created them were lawful).

Hardering Skin: Vajra(Discord)(Harmony) gain +1 to AC or +1 on Spell save.

Speed:[/B ]Vajra base Speed is 35.

[B]Restrictions and Laws

Vajra by the Law of there race they cant become Paladins because paladins are either pure good who wants to destroy everything that is evil, or Pure evil and want to destroy everything that is good.
Vajra tend to despise them and if you have a paladin in your team the DM or players determinate's there relationship.

Vajra(Harmony) tend to worship deities of N even if they are NG or NE.
Vajra(Discord) tend to worship deities of Chaos.

Lawfull deities are forbient of worship.

So yeah these are the changes hope you like them :P.

Amnoriath
2016-10-07, 05:35 PM
Your flavor has a good start but the idea of balance needs further explanation and it lacks origins. Mechanically this is broken, boring, and without reverance to your flavor. Only 20th level fighters are guaranteed 4 attacks. Even with this removed it is just a cheap way to get heavy weapons with other fighting styles. Ultimately you need to start with giving more definition with your flavor and go from there mechanically.

Shiryu
2016-10-08, 12:50 AM
Your flavor has a good start but the idea of balance needs further explanation and it lacks origins. Mechanically this is broken, boring, and without reverance to your flavor. Only 20th level fighters are guaranteed 4 attacks. Even with this removed it is just a cheap way to get heavy weapons with other fighting styles. Ultimately you need to start with giving more definition with your flavor and go from there mechanically.

Can you give more or else an example plz because i sont know were to start from the.flavor i was thinking to make this an abilitty to grow 2 arms as a bonus action for as amny hours as there level but sunno how that will help them i believe some extra bonus on athletic or acrobatics?

khadgar567
2016-10-08, 03:41 AM
Feels good with strong shiva theme and if you ask me i go with indian gods as focusing theme 16 attacks on 20th level is bit to much but on the good way

Shiryu
2016-10-08, 04:30 AM
Feels good with strong shiva theme and if you ask me i go with indian gods as focusing theme 16 attacks on 20th level is bit to much but on the good way

im working on a uptade probably gonna remove the 4 attacks and two arms theme

khadgar567
2016-10-08, 09:26 AM
im working on a uptade probably gonna remove the 4 attacks and two arms theme
And we have vannila race with no particular power

Amnoriath
2016-10-08, 12:06 PM
Can you give more or else an example plz because i sont know were to start from the.flavor i was thinking to make this an abilitty to grow 2 arms as a bonus action for as amny hours as there level but sunno how that will help them i believe some extra bonus on athletic or acrobatics?

What is this balance of? Is it nature, society, commerce..etc? Then is it moderation, harmony, or what? Either way we don't know what they are balancing and how or why they do so. What I see is they act like some kind of spartanesque arbiters that are quite reclusive and selective that seek some kind of harmony but mechanically what you have is something that is purely a physical being. Even the Half-Orc isn't purely physical giving proficiency in Intimidation. The idea of the additional arms isn't that broken the issue is treating just like any other arm and hand. For instance it wouldn't be broken if these arms were thinner or oddly positioned as to not exploit heavy weapons in other styles. Perhaps they aren't really physical like they get a modified Mage Hand instead that in and of itself has some nice uses. Also the choice of an AC bonus or save is just weird when the name itself speaks AC.

Shiryu
2016-10-08, 02:30 PM
What is this balance of? Is it nature, society, commerce..etc? Then is it moderation, harmony, or what? Either way we don't know what they are balancing and how or why they do so. What I see is they act like some kind of spartanesque arbiters that are quite reclusive and selective that seek some kind of harmony but mechanically what you have is something that is purely a physical being. Even the Half-Orc isn't purely physical giving proficiency in Intimidation. The idea of the additional arms isn't that broken the issue is treating just like any other arm and hand. For instance it wouldn't be broken if these arms were thinner or oddly positioned as to not exploit heavy weapons in other styles. Perhaps they aren't really physical like they get a modified Mage Hand instead that in and of itself has some nice uses. Also the choice of an AC bonus or save is just weird when the name itself speaks AC.

hmmm ill work on it more but the question is hsall i keep the 4 arms theme or shall i focus on something else?

Shiryu
2016-10-08, 02:36 PM
And we have vannila race with no particular power

what is that mean?

Amnoriath
2016-10-09, 10:09 AM
hmmm ill work on it more but the question is hsall i keep the 4 arms theme or shall i focus on something else?
Well 4 arms are really just an aesthetic with some benefits tied with them. It isn't important in the current flavor unless perhaps they have origins from other creatures or creators of them. Personally the idea sounds and looks cool but may be more of a hassle to balance out when trying to bring in important aspects of the flavor here, especially if you are considering sub-races.

khadgar567
2016-10-09, 10:48 AM
what is that mean?
what means is you got good idea in your mind dont ditch it for another worthless wizard clone of a race

Shiryu
2016-10-11, 01:23 AM
what means is you got good idea in your mind dont ditch it for another worthless wizard clone of a race

NEVER im just need a little work until is done im gonna put 2 versions of Varja one with two arms but with a bonus and the other with 4 normal size arms but a small tweak

khadgar567
2016-10-11, 01:32 AM
NEVER im just need a little work until is done im gonna put 2 versions of Varja one with two arms but with a bonus and the other with 4 normal size arms but a small tweak
sorry for hars post I like to see the changes

Shiryu
2016-10-11, 06:54 PM
sorry for hars post I like to see the changes

aaand they are ready :P

PapaQuackers
2016-10-11, 08:07 PM
Unarmed strikes without Martial Arts only do strength modifier damage. A d6 as a racial ability far out strips the Monk for like 5 levels and is OP.

Even a D4 is too much.

khadgar567
2016-10-12, 12:43 AM
Speed is to much but good

Shiryu
2016-10-12, 12:56 AM
added some tweaks i forgot to add.

Shiryu
2016-10-12, 01:01 AM
Speed is to much but good

i make it a small rebalance

Shiryu
2016-10-12, 01:04 AM
Unarmed strikes without Martial Arts only do strength modifier damage. A d6 as a racial ability far out strips the Monk for like 5 levels and is OP.

Even a D4 is too much.

you are right i retweak it a bit but having your unarmed strike to hit with a d4 or even d6 later on i feel the damage its too low especially on lvl 5 and up you fight creatures that have armor.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-12, 04:52 AM
Its still too much, you cant give a class feature as a racial ability. Its not like this race cant use weapons.

Shiryu
2016-10-12, 05:37 AM
Its still too much, you cant give a class feature as a racial ability. Its not like this race cant use weapons.

then what do you suggest i shall put them to have for racial ability? shall i make them add there dexterity modi instead of str when they hit with a weapon? or they add there dex modi on dmg roll?

khadgar567
2016-10-12, 06:08 AM
then what do you suggest i shall put them to have for racial ability? shall i make them add there dexterity modi instead of str when they hit with a weapon? or they add there dex modi on dmg roll?
4 arms is looking good but I dont know what the quakers think.

Shiryu
2016-10-12, 03:52 PM

i hope you see the changed i made.

Shiryu
2016-10-14, 11:01 PM
UPTADE

changed a racial trait on Varja(Harmony)