PDA

View Full Version : How would a fight in darkness with sacred weapon look like?

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-07, 06:36 PM
Hey guys :)

As you read it above, how would a fight within a darkness spell look like, if I have a weapon with sacred weapon"casted" on it? Would I see my enemy? If yes, would my enemy see me also?

In a second scenario I also have a channel divinity, but now it only sheds 10 feet in dim light. Did the rules change?

In any case our enemy has no darkvision, but we do.

Draco4472
2016-10-07, 06:43 PM

As you read it above, how would a fight within a darkness spell look like, if I have a weapon with sacred weapon"casted" on it? Would I see my enemy? If yes, would my enemy see me also?

In a second scenario I also have a channel divinity, but now it only sheds 10 feet in dim light. Did the rules change?

I would rule whether the light of Sacred Weapon is visible or not to be dependent on the level of the Darkness spell. If Darkness is casted at a level higher then Sacred Flame, the light of the latter would not be visible. Otherwise, the light should be visible, and as such your enemy can see your weapon as well, and as such the more intelligent foes you'll face will know where your body would be in relation to the weapon.

I think this can lead to shenanigans with a mage hand holding the weapon to distract your foe in question. Lead them to that spike pit you almost fell in earlier in the dungeon!:smallbiggrin:

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-08, 01:40 AM
Mmh sacred weapon is not a spell, and as such it is unaffected by the darkness spell itself. But its emitted light is magical and penetrades the darkness. The question I have is, whether I may attack with advantage because my enemy is blinded, or my enemy with disadvantage, in both scenarios

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-08, 01:51 AM
Mmh sacred weapon is not a spell, and as such it is unaffected by the darkness spell itself. But its emitted light is magical and penetrades the darkness. The question I have is, whether I may attack with advantage because my enemy is blinded, or my enemy with disadvantage, in both scenarios

If you are able to light the area inside the darkness spell, they would be able to see as well, due to the light, and would not be blinded so the advantage/disadvantage would be removed and attacks would just be normal until the light is gone.

djreynolds
2016-10-08, 03:22 AM

I don't know, but that is a very cool image. Its like a shining light splitting airy darkness and shadows. Like the darkness is like black fog and sword is just splitting it.

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-08, 04:55 AM
So my situation is me as a drow paladin (Oath of the eternal flame) against a human sun soul monk. Both LV5.

My Char wants a revenge, either by fighting or by other methods. Involving the monk in a fight in darkness seems to be the best option to me.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-08, 06:04 AM

Since neither are spells they would not affect the darkness spell.

Jeremy Crawford best said it on twitter https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/722870799082721280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

@MrMattFree Does light from a magic weapon’s characteristics (not via a spell) count as magical that can illuminate a Darkness spell?
@JeremyECrawford Darkness cares only about light created by a spell. #DnDJeremy

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-08, 06:42 AM
Since neither are spells they would not affect the darkness spell.

Jeremy Crawford best said it on twitter https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/722870799082721280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

@MrMattFree Does light from a magic weapon’s characteristics (not via a spell) count as magical that can illuminate a Darkness spell?
@JeremyECrawford Darkness cares only about light created by a spell. #DnDJeremy

So it can illuminate or not?

Gignere
2016-10-08, 06:44 AM
So it can illuminate or not?

Ask your DM but based not the designer's explanation it does not.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-08, 07:23 AM
So it can illuminate or not?No it cannot apparently.

The sentence saying nonmagical light can’t illuminate darkness seems to not mean that any magical light that are not created by a spell of 2nd level or lower can.