PDA

View Full Version : LF a magic item that can capture incorporeal undead.

Yogibear41
2016-10-07, 06:53 PM
Is there a magic item or some kind of permanent magical effect that is available say around level 9 or lower, that can be used to store captured incorporeal undead in, primarily things like wraiths, shadows, and ghosts. It doesn't have to be portable but if it is that would be great as well.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-10-07, 06:57 PM
I think I remember a ghost trap device in ghostwalk. Can't remember if it's ghosts only or if it's any incorporeals.

Jack_Simth
2016-10-07, 07:24 PM
Is there a magic item or some kind of permanent magical effect that is available say around level 9 or lower, that can be used to store captured incorporeal undead in, primarily things like wraiths, shadows, and ghosts. It doesn't have to be portable but if it is that would be great as well.

Hmm. I'm not familiar with anything specifically for doing that... but there's ways to make that sort of thing happen.

What do you consider "available say around level 9"? Are you looking at WBL, construction requirements, or something else? Do you have a specific budget in mind?

Additionally: Are you worried about...
... it being reusable, or is single-use OK?
... a save on the part of the target (keep in mind: Magic devices, by default, have a very low save DC) or are they assumed to be under your control enough that further saves aren't an issue?
... use time (AKA, must it be something you can do in one round, or is the creature sufficiently under control already that a ten minute ritual isn't a problem)?
... the number of such that can be stored in the device?
... the undead "starving" (Libris Mortis Undead Metabolism section)?

You mentioned "Store captured undead" so I'm going to assume that the target is under your control enough that you can just have it do stuff for now.

Given that assumption, then something like an Enveloping Pit (Magic Item Compendium, page 159) fits the bill: markets at 3,600 gp, highest-level requirement is Plane Shift (Cleric-5, so available at 9th level). Open it up, stuff them in, close it. Undead don't breathe, so they are fine (provided they don't have to deal with the undead metabolism section of Libris Mortis), it's quite deep, so you can store a lot of them. It's a different plane, so once it's closed incorporeality doesn't help them escape. It's also reusable (although if when you open it up to add the next, be sure to be ready for the one in there to try and escape!). In the case of something like "controlled via Command Undead" then you just need a feasible thing you'd ask of a friend: "Hey, buddy, do you mind checking to see if I accidentally left my moneybag down there under my spare jacket? It's dark, you can see in the dark, and I can't fly without expending a spell on it... I'd obviously need to if it's down there, but I'd rather not if it turns out to be elsewhere..."

Yogibear41
2016-10-07, 08:13 PM
I was just throwing out a ball park number for the level business. I do want it to be reusable. What I am going for is using the Souls as Power for item creation in the BOVD, which lets me turn incorporeal undead into 10xp worth of item creation. I'm still working on my character concept so I am not 100% sure what my method of control will be, either rebuking, or some type of spell, or another route.

Jack_Simth
2016-10-07, 08:19 PM
I was just throwing out a ball park number for the level business. I do want it to be reusable. What I am going for is using the Souls as Power for item creation in the BOVD, which lets me turn incorporeal undead into 10xp worth of item creation. I'm still working on my character concept so I am not 100% sure what my method of control will be, either rebuking, or some type of spell, or another route.
Ah. Well, then for temporary storage, the Enveloping Pit is probably the way to go... but you'll need to re-control them when you open it, and you'll need to talk to the DM on the exact suitable preparation method to use them (maybe the Magic Jar focus when you posses one? You may also want to figure out how to get Ghostly Grasp as a normal-ish character...).

Eisfalken
2016-10-07, 08:31 PM
Dunno about an item, but the best place to start scheming is force effects (usually evocation-based spells), since they affect the Ethereal as well as Material planes.

Also, consider various abjuration and conjuration spells for locking a creature in place so that it can't leave (mostly various forms of binding magic).

Calthropstu
2016-10-07, 08:37 PM
Anything that can cast forcecage or otilukes resilient sphere should do it.

If you are looking for more permanent, I don't know of any object that would do that without custom magic coming into play.

MisterKaws
2016-10-07, 08:47 PM
Riverine-coated chains. Just wrap them around the ghosts and you can drag them anywhere.