PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Netflix

Vinyadan
2016-10-08, 03:44 AM
Hello, I have a couple of questions about Netflix. I'm thinking of subscribing, but I was wondering:

1. Does choosing lesser video quality mean also seeing movies with lesser audio quality? I am buying a very low quality projector to try it out, and so I expect an output of 800x480, so video quality isn't important to me, but audio quality is something I really care for. I usually use headphones.

2. Are the classics there? Pixar movies, Kurosawa, Leone, Tarkovsky? Any big thing I would lack?

3. What languages are there to choose from? Can I choose from all languages or just OV and my place of residence?

Thank you!

huttj509
2016-10-08, 04:41 AM
Hello, I have a couple of questions about Netflix. I'm thinking of subscribing, but I was wondering:

1. Does choosing lesser video quality mean also seeing movies with lesser audio quality? I am buying a very low quality projector to try it out, and so I expect an output of 800x480, so video quality isn't important to me, but audio quality is something I really care for. I usually use headphones.

2. Are the classics there? Pixar movies, Kurosawa, Leone, Tarkovsky? Any big thing I would lack?

3. What languages are there to choose from? Can I choose from all languages or just OV and my place of residence?

Thank you!

It has Kagemusha, but not other Kurosawa, Once Upon a time in the West. Selection varies, unfortunately.

Languages depend on what source. for example, Luke Cage is in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, with Chinese Subtitles available, but Midsomer Murders is just in English.

Ark Evensong
2016-10-08, 05:46 AM
Also note that what's available to watch will differ depending on your region, as well. (I know a lot of places on the internet will just assume everyone's from the USA.)

Eldan
2016-10-08, 06:09 AM
It also matters which country you are in. Switzerland, for one, only has a tiny fraction of the US selection. Mainly because they need to negotiate copyrights with local TV stations and movie distributors for everything they release to us.

huttj509
2016-10-08, 07:22 AM
Also note that what's available to watch will differ depending on your region, as well. (I know a lot of places on the internet will just assume everyone's from the USA.)

Didn't even think of that. I wasn't so much assuming "everyone's USA" as not realizing selection differed much.

Legato Endless
2016-10-08, 12:39 PM

Thank you!

Even if they are there, they might not last. The most irritating aspect of Netflix is the library changes minutely on a day to day basis. It's pretty standard for a month to see a dozen films or more expire. The loss of Dr. Who in the middle of an archive binge is a bit of a sore spot for a friend of mine. This isn't Netflix fault, they can't really be expected to hold onto everything with contract expirations/alterations, but it's good to keep in mind your access to various IP isn't unlimited. (Calendar schedules are easily available online for tracking this)

Peelee
2016-10-08, 01:01 PM
One thing I'ma add, even though I know it's a very unpopular move.

Netflix has everything, if you're willing to get the discs.