PDA

View Full Version : New player please help

DemonMutt9
2016-10-08, 11:00 AM
Okay I have an idea for a character I want to play as but I need some help with specifics and technicalities.
See I have no source books to use or anything like that so I'm using search engines for most everything. However I can't seem to find anything for what I'm looking for.

If possible I would like some help creating a half giant but its the other half that is the problem.
I actually wanted to see what it would be like to create a half giant naga cross breed.
My other thought was a half giant turned into a dryder.
But I have no way of figuring out the mechanics of this because to be frank..... I don't understand what I'm doing when I do try to look through the information on all of this stuff. I can't figure out what racial traits I'm supposed to wind up with, what ones I'll lose, or what my bonuses and penalties would look like. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
Please any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you Mutt

KillianHawkeye
2016-10-08, 11:21 AM
Well it depends... what game system are you going to play in?

In D&D 3.5, for example, half-giant isn't a template. It's a stand alone race. And naga generally aren't playable creatures, so having a character be part naga would be extremely difficult to figure out. As for driders, they're only made by Lolth and her priestesses AFAIK. I'm not sure if they can only be made from drow or if that's just the will of Lolth, but again there isn't any rule for making driders of other species.

If you're playing a different edition of D&D you'll probably run into similar problems, but you'll need somebody else to confirm that for you.

DemonMutt9
2016-10-08, 11:57 AM
Thank you as far as edition I'm not sure. I think the group I started playing with is using a mish mash really. There seems to be mostly elements of 3.5 but I've also noticed a fair bit of pathfinder really. A prime example being that one of our guys is a half firegiant. And is basically a McGyver . one of our guys I think is a type of undead, or ghoul.
And one is some kind of snake shapeshifter and part snake at the same time but he's not a naga. And I've never seen six shooters in DND but one guy has them. So it confuses me at times.
But still thank you for the info it was actually very helpful.

MintyNinja
2016-10-08, 02:38 PM
Thank you as far as edition I'm not sure. I think the group I started playing with is using a mish mash really. There seems to be mostly elements of 3.5 but I've also noticed a fair bit of pathfinder really. A prime example being that one of our guys is a half firegiant. And is basically a McGyver . one of our guys I think is a type of undead, or ghoul.
And one is some kind of snake shapeshifter and part snake at the same time but he's not a naga. And I've never seen six shooters in DND but one guy has them. So it confuses me at times.
But still thank you for the info it was actually very helpful.

Talk with your GM. They've created the rules you're looking for as I don't think any of us are able to help you. Good luck.

DemonMutt9
2016-10-08, 02:52 PM
Thank you really.
I was kinda starting to worry about it to be honest because I truly thought it would be a really cool idea. Thanks though and believe me I understand.