PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Arcane Tattoo feat chain [PEACH]

Ugganaut
2016-10-08, 12:05 PM
After working out the bugs in my Psionic Tattoo attempt, it looked like a class feature. So this is my attempt at an arcane version, and it looks a lot cleaner.

Arcane Tattoo Apprentice (Feat)
You have learned the basics of storing certain types of energy and materials inside tattoos on your body.
A small humanoid has four slots, a medium humanoid has six slots, and a large humanoid has ten slots.
Animated Tattoo(2 slots): During a long rest, you can cast Find Familiar, instead using one ounce of ink as the material component. The spirit bonds with the ink, which then arranges as a tattoo wherever you choose on your body. Casting Find Familiar again merely changes the shape of the tattoo corresponding to the new familiar. Special: If you have another form your familiar can take from a class feature, you can use that instead.
Storage Tattoo(1 slot): During a long rest, you can use an ounce of ink to tattoo the image of a weapon onto your body. As an Action, you can dissolve one simple or martial melee weapon, or casting focus, into the tattoo. The tattoo takes the shape of the item stored. As a bonus action, you can summon the item into your hand.
Spell Tattoo(1 slot): During a long rest, you can use an ounce of ink to tattoo arcane symbols of energy containment onto your body. You can cast a 1st level spell you know into the tattoo. You can then use the tattoo to cast the spell at a later date. The tattoo disappears after the stored spell is expended. You can only have one Spell Tattoo on your body at a time.

Arcane Tattoo Journeyman (Feat) - Prerequisite: Level 4, Arcane Tattoo Apprentice
You have learned to store certain types of energy and materials inside tattoos on your body.
Animated Tattoo(2-3 slots): When you cast the Find Familiar spell associated with this feat, you can also choose from: Pony or Mastiff(2 slots), Riding horse, Camel or Elk(3 slots).
Storage Tattoo(1 slot): You can now store any single item weighing no more than 10lbs. As normal, the tattoo changes shape to match what is being stored.
Spell Tattoo(1 slot): You can now cast a 2nd level spell you know into the tattoo.

Arcane Tattoo Master (Feat) - Prerequisite: Level 8, Arcane Tattoo Journeyman
You have learned to store certain types of energy and materials inside tattoos on your body.
Animated Tattoo(3-4 slots): When you cast the Find Familiar spell associated with this feat, you can also choose from: Ape, Giant Wasp, Brass or Copper Dragon Wyrmling(3 slots), Lion, Tiger, Brown Bear, Giant Owl, Giant Eagle, Hippogriff(4 slots). Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one melee or ranged attack of its own.
Storage Tattoo(2 slots): Your tattoo takes the shape of a large black hole, and acts like a Bag of Holding. If the tattoo is overloaded, pierced, or torn like a normal bag of holding, the contents scatter on the ground, and you take 5d10 force damage.
Spell Tattoo(1 slot): You can cast a 3rd level spell you know into the tattoo.

Any feedback?

Ugganaut
2016-10-09, 06:13 AM
Have made some more changes. The initial feat grants Find Familiar, Weapon storage mimicking Blade Meld, and a 10gp/cast tattoo scroll. Because you can only do one tattoo a day, the most spell tattoo can do is give you a backup slot for emergencies, if you cast it every day its a waste, as it requires you to cast the spell into the tattoo(and the same action to cast it out), and costs 10gp. I figured this was about the equivalent of a cantrips power, bringing it in line with Magic Initiate.
The second feat allows a mount, broadens the use of storage tattoo, and increases spell tattoo.
The third feat allows the possibility of a flying mount, which I thought for 3 feats and minimum 8th level, should be over kill. I added the two dragon wyrmlings as a mount option for small creatures, or cool familiars for medium creatures. Familiars can now attack, but only a melee or ranged, so no dragon breath weapons - that might get too much.

Still not sure if its good enough. I like the first feat, but to take the second two over so many other great feats, it needs to be pretty damn good. Its really only utility its adding at the moment, which could be the issue. Maybe have the level three feat allow spell tattoo able to cast as a bonus action?