PDA

View Full Version : Computer How to do mods... Help?

Devigor
2016-10-08, 03:27 PM
I have installed mods before, but... I can never figure out what to do AFTER I have installed it. I've never seen them in the games or anything, so I'm wondering if I am missing a step? I've looked for tutorials, but they never make sense. Do I have to unzip files? What do I do?

For one thing, I don't have WinRar, and I don't know how to get it. If it costs any money, I can't get it.

The reason I'm posting this now is because I just downloaded the Tyranid mod (I've modded Minecraft following the page on the wiki, but those didn't work either) for Dawn of War: Soulstorm, and then installed it upon opening the completed download. I see the files in my C drive, etc. etc., but I don't know how to USE them. Help?

Devigor
2016-10-08, 10:46 PM
Found my answer.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-10-09, 08:14 AM
For the future, modding techniques varies hugely between games, and most have guides online or detailed instructions in the mod itself on how to install.

Psyren
2016-10-11, 01:36 PM
Also, WinRAR is shareware. (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

Knaight
2016-10-12, 01:42 AM
Also, WinRAR is shareware. (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

Also WinRAR is mediocre at best: 7Zip is where it's at.

Devigor
2016-10-15, 06:07 PM
@Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll The problem had nothing to do with installation; everything was already installed. USING the mod after installation was the issue, and that was not even something I found on the internet after checking. My brother showed me an application he used to run mods on different games, and I got that and ran it to finally get the mods going.

@Psyren and @Knaight One of those tools was also not the problem; I have .7zip, there just wasn't anything to unzip.

enderlord99
2016-10-15, 07:24 PM
I take it what your brother showed you was Curse?

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-15, 09:59 PM
still wondering what game was trying to be modded...

enderlord99
2016-10-15, 10:26 PM
still wondering what game was trying to be modded...

Minecraft, according to the OP.

Istarial
2016-10-16, 03:02 AM
Dawn of war: Soulstorm, actually, if you read it a bit closer.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-16, 03:04 AM
Dawn of war: Soulstorm, actually, if you read it a bit closer.

I wasn't aware that game COULD be modded...

Istarial
2016-10-16, 03:52 AM

Yeah, there's some pretty good ones- new factions and units, etc. My personal favorite is Ultimate Apocalypse- perhaps not perfectly balanced, but a lot of fun. Because titans.

GloatingSwine
2016-10-16, 04:56 AM

It actually has a mod manager built right into the game, the "Game Manager" option on the main menu shows you a list of mods you have available and lets you switch between them.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-16, 01:31 PM
It actually has a mod manager built right into the game, the "Game Manager" option on the main menu shows you a list of mods you have available and lets you switch between them.

Huh, all these years, never saw it.

Tempted to do a Starcraft 2 mod. Actually, I wish Starcraft 2 had done squad-based units like Soulstorm did. A squad of Marines being able to have 'weapon upgrades' to upgrade to Marauder or Firebat, with the ability to separately train a Medic to attach to the unit. Golliath gets an upgrade, think Hellfire Dreadnought, scout vehicle probably a Vulture with optional flamethrower for turning it into a Hellion. And, of course, Siege Tank. Give them Wraiths for air support. Maybe make their relic unit the BC?

mollylayne
2016-11-03, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the information..

Vaz
2016-11-05, 12:46 AM
Huh, all these years, never saw it.

Tempted to do a Starcraft 2 mod. Actually, I wish Starcraft 2 had done squad-based units like Soulstorm did. A squad of Marines being able to have 'weapon upgrades' to upgrade to Marauder or Firebat, with the ability to separately train a Medic to attach to the unit. Golliath gets an upgrade, think Hellfire Dreadnought, scout vehicle probably a Vulture with optional flamethrower for turning it into a Hellion. And, of course, Siege Tank. Give them Wraiths for air support. Maybe make their relic unit the BC?

Could use the different abilities for the races; Ork Waaagh, Sisters of Battle Faith, and Dark Eldar gibs etc. Don't know much SC lore, so cannot help, but I'd imagine that the IG tunnels system could be appropriate for Terrans, SoB Faith for the Protoss, and Zerg using Waaagh.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-11-05, 02:55 AM
Could use the different abilities for the races; Ork Waaagh, Sisters of Battle Faith, and Dark Eldar gibs etc. Don't know much SC lore, so cannot help, but I'd imagine that the IG tunnels system could be appropriate for Terrans, SoB Faith for the Protoss, and Zerg using Waaagh.

Actually no, that's the problem. Those are in no way appropriate.

Terrans are almost straight up Space Marines, if you want to include Reapers, basically pull the Seraphim from Sisters. Instead of having Heavy Bolter upgrades or Flamer upgrades or Plasma upgrades, you get Marauder or Firebat upgrades. Medics are a separate support unit you can attach to a squad.

Protoss will likely take a lot from the Eldar. Banshees with a reskin make for a good Zealot. That kind of thing.

Zerg can certainly use some of the things from the Orcs, like the basic melee unit's ability to have a stupid number of units in the squad, and how each one is nastier the bigger the squad size gets for the zerglings. Re-skin is necessary, of course. Too bad the Tyranids didn't appear in Soulstorm, because... well... zerg are pretty much a ripoff of the 'nids anyway.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-11-05, 06:40 AM
There is the Tyranid Mod, but I can't remember if they had any fun with mechanics. I don't think so.

Vaz
2016-11-05, 08:13 PM
Actually no, that's the problem. Those are in no way appropriate.

Terrans are almost straight up Space Marines, if you want to include Reapers, basically pull the Seraphim from Sisters. Instead of having Heavy Bolter upgrades or Flamer upgrades or Plasma upgrades, you get Marauder or Firebat upgrades. Medics are a separate support unit you can attach to a squad.

Protoss will likely take a lot from the Eldar. Banshees with a reskin make for a good Zealot. That kind of thing.

Zerg can certainly use some of the things from the Orcs, like the basic melee unit's ability to have a stupid number of units in the squad, and how each one is nastier the bigger the squad size gets for the zerglings. Re-skin is necessary, of course. Too bad the Tyranids didn't appear in Soulstorm, because... well... zerg are pretty much a ripoff of the 'nids anyway.

You can fully change up the models. Changing models is fine in the game, although the tools are dated (you'll need like 3ds Max 8, because that's the only way the plugin works to make it compatable for Santos'). But the stats can be easily rejigged as can the UI, and the tooltips (UCS Strings), so you can change its appearance to anything.