PDA

View Full Version : Request a 5e Archetype: All Ideas Welcome

PapaQuackers
2016-10-08, 08:06 PM
I was wondering if I could get some requests for 5e Archetypes.

They can range from the super specific to the extremely vague. I just want some ideas to work on.

GalacticAxekick
2016-10-08, 10:11 PM
Generally I think a broad is better, provided that the player can refine it to suit specific roles. Wizards are a wonderful example of this: even within subclasses, each wizard can play very differently. Monks are poorer in this aspect. Essentially every Way of the Open Palm monk is going to have the same abilities.

I think 5e's martial classes definitely need more flexibility. I'd want subclasses something like this?:

Fighters gain features to better distinguish weapons and armours, and gain extra attacks/reactions as they level up. Each fighter subclass has a distinct paradigm and uses its actions/reactions accordingly, but is free to use any loadout of weapons and armours to better distinguish themselves

Sentinel subclass specializes in protecting themself, their allies and their territories. They'd probably get reactions that parry to increase AC, riposte missed attacks, halt enemies hit by AoOs, AoO enemies for alternative reasons (like entering reach or attacking another target while within reach.
Skirmisher subclass specializes in aggressing enemies and invading their territories. They'd probably get reactions to spend on their own turn to dodge AoOs, move extra far, etc, as well as reactions to dodge ranged attacks and AoEs off their turn, all at the cost of having fewer AoOs and not being able to secure space.
Warlord subclass specializes in enhancing and coordinating the abilities of their allies. They'd probably get reactions to use the Help action from a distance, as well as the ability to forgo attacks and instead command allies, siccing them against enemies or commanding them to take moves.

So you might have one Sentinel who's using a halberd and full plate to control a sphere of space, toppling anyone who enters, using heavy-armour and zweihander specialties to improve their performance. Or you might have a Sentinel with a scimitar and plain leathers holding a mighty foe's aggro, cutting them down should their attention ever wander. Light-armour and einhander specialties.

You might have one Skirmisher using a mace, shield and chainmail to charge through enemy ranks, dodging this and that, and finally crash into their choice foe. Heavy armour and shield specialties. Or you might have a Skirmisher with two shortswords tumbling in and out of melee, leaving a heap of injured foes and a red carpet in their wake, never quite where you want them. Light armour and two-weapon specialties.

You might have one Warlord on the front lines with a spear and scale armour, coordinating her offensive with a sister in arms. Heavy armour and einhander specialties. Or you might have a Warlord a quarter mile down, surveying the battlefield, shouting orders and making adjustments by the point of an arrow. Light armour and ranged specialties.

Fighters already have Fighting Styles in 5e, but I find that they're too numeric. They grant higher stats, not more options. I'd prefer if each specialty gave you unique abilities tied to your weapon/armour type, and if you could choose one for weapon AND one for armour to really define your character.

Weapon groups would be Einhander (anything in one hand, nothing in the other), Zweihander (anything in two hands), Dual-Weapon (dual wield), Shielded (Shield in one hand, anything in the other), and ranged (a thrown or ammunition weapon). Armour groups would simply be light, medium and heavy.