PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying High Mental Attribute Characters

Name1
2016-10-08, 08:59 PM
Hello playground,

I have a little question regarding playing high mental attributes: How do you roleplay them?
In my situation, I have a character who (thanks to houserules, yadda yadda) has an Int score of 110 (which is low compared to a HIVE, but yeah), a Wis score over 500 and a load of charisma (should be around 200?). In addition to that, it get's to add it's Str Mod (why Str makes sense for it has backstory reasons) to all Int-Based Skill and attribute checks, which... Well, he has what amounts to Permanent Emanation: Consumptive Field, so that explains that.

So... how does one roleplay something like that? How alien would the thought processes be? How would it interact with the world? Would it act like a dog as it's mind sees the benefits of acting like a pet? Would it assume control of a country? What would it want to do and how should I make it act?

The alignment is LE.

DarkSoul
2016-10-08, 09:04 PM
The Architect from the Matrix movies would probably be good inspiration. Big words, complete self-assurance, unable to comprehend flaws in his plans (because usually there aren't any).

A character that intelligent has completely different thought processes from the average person, because their intellect is literally an order of magnitude above "average". The character is so intelligent that they'd likely be able to instantly form a nearly-foolproof plan for any situation with little to no foreknowledge.

Seto
2016-10-08, 09:27 PM
You don't roleplay scores like that accurately. They're simply absurd. Your character's mind is to to a deity's as a human's is to a pigeon.
Do understand that I'm not saying that you're playing wrong or anything like that. Having such a character is probably fun. But if your concern is roleplaying his scores realistically, drop that concern and just settle for "he's really smart". Because, short of getting the DM to give you all their notes, it can't be done. Roleplaying Wizards with 25 INT is hard enough.

White Blade
2016-10-08, 11:12 PM
Remember that intellect represents skill at achieving objectives, not goals.

And before every decision ask the GM for a Wis or Int check to determine the most efficient course to victory. And use Epic Skills. A lot.

You can speak and convert your worst enemy into a stalwart ally and whole cities into crazed fanatics. You can read minds. You can tame the Tarrassque. Your medical attention is more effective than an average heal spell. You can break the most complex trap in two seconds. You know everything that has ever been public knowledge. You can use Autohypnosis to make yourself immune to harm (Well, +255 HP per day).

Name1
2016-10-09, 07:47 PM
Huh... looks like I was way off. I mean, a lot of its life and backstory kinda sorta revolve around the fact that it never really had much food, so it raided trashcans in a metropolis and was hit with rocks thrown by commoners pretty often 'cause... well, it's raiding their trashcans.

With what I know now, that doesn't seem to be the right type of behavior then, 'cause now it clearly got preferable options.
Uhm... What would a LE character with those stats do? Like, history and goal wise. The idea I had in the beginnig was pretty basic: Get food, find a mate, raise children, done, but that's far from enough now.

Are there any goals it should shoot for? Immortality (well, agelessness) has already been achived (well, it can make itself younger), so that's out... What would be a reasonably achievable goal?

Hogsy
2016-10-09, 10:56 PM
Huh... looks like I was way off. I mean, a lot of its life and backstory kinda sorta revolve around the fact that it never really had much food, so it raided trashcans in a metropolis and was hit with rocks thrown by commoners pretty often 'cause... well, it's raiding their trashcans.

With what I know now, that doesn't seem to be the right type of behavior then, 'cause now it clearly got preferable options.
Uhm... What would a LE character with those stats do? Like, history and goal wise. The idea I had in the beginnig was pretty basic: Get food, find a mate, raise children, done, but that's far from enough now.

Are there any goals it should shoot for? Immortality (well, agelessness) has already been achived (well, it can make itself younger), so that's out... What would be a reasonably achievable goal?

What is it? You keep referring to your character as an "it", raiding trashcans and whatnot so I am not really sure whether it's actually a humanoid race? Also, what kind of setting are you playing in? A little backstory about the character and the world can help us give you way more well-rounded opinions regarding your question. Characters of that magnitude tend to have such big goals and obejctives that our feeble minds can't even dare to imagine. Like, the personality of a guy with 200 charisma, 500 wis and 110 intelligence is just... I'm not even sure if deities have such absurd statistics. Is the rest of the party up there with you, or are you the guy with the huge head? This is a character whose mere intuition is like forseeing the future for people like us, he could literally be hitler, and we'd give him a nobel peace prize(oops, already did that), but really, he could obliterate an entire civilization and convince the rest of the universe, and a bunch of deities, that it was the right course of action. He could propably make a Deity HIS OWN avatar. For example, on a more realistic, yet comical, scale, it'd look something like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRchqfk2JY). This guy goes on to become the manager, quits, goes to the company's HQ and convinces the CEO to give him her job. With that kind of intelligence, as others have already pointed out, you'd be able to conjure up foolproof plans with tons of counterplans incase those plans fail in mere seconds, for every possible scenario regarding your current situation, or alternative situations you may find yourself into due to glitches in the system.

My personal opinion is to ditch the "how I can roleplay this efficiently" and just have fun with it. That is because, to be totally frank, I do not think you can. Your mind can't comprehend what a charisma score of 200 would be like, or a wisdom score of 500(!!). Intelligence 110 may be a little bit possible, but it would require, well put by others once again, the DM hand you his notes. Just have fun, be really smart, have cities worship you and give the most profound advice to your buddies. As for the goals of such a creature, I'd say they would be very very personal. From what I have read though, I don't think a character with such mental abilities would believe in trivial things such as alignments. Lawful evil? Pathetic. Think of some very personal objectives and ideals this character may have, and go from there. Do not constrain yourself to alignments, because your character has ventured eons ahead of them. And besides, the only reason we use alignments is to give us, the players, a sense of direction. Most often than not, it's the actions that decide the alignments, not the other way around. Those are just my two cents, anyway.

White Blade
2016-10-10, 12:07 AM

If you could have anything you've ever wanted, what would you get? Do you want a legacy? To sit on top of a mountain and contemplate all the atoms in your thumb? You can!

Does your LE set up rejoice in pain? Is he a sadist? Does he view the universe as a malfunctioning machine? A fatal, hostile cosmic power? A beautiful symphony? A discordant chaos to be tamed? He's at a level where his only serious competition is ALL OF CREATION. But maybe he wants to whittle toys and be left alone to play with his grandchildren, creation be damned. Maybe his goal would be to erase himself from memory in that instance. Is he curious? Maybe he wants to create a Universal Codex that contains all knowledge in hyperdense expressions that fit on a single page. Maybe it would be to learn the name of every child or to know every lullaby or every dance or every craft. Maybe he's a megalomaniac who would spread out himself until everything that exists could only say "I" through him.

Or maybe when you have a WIS of 500, you realize all that is chasing the wind and you do mild but satisfying physical labor, love your mate, and go to bed on a full stomach till you die.

Efrate
2016-10-10, 12:09 AM
Deconstruct the underlying truths of the multiverse and reconstruct it with a few minor steps, a push here or there, and its your multiverse now, you are beyond the DM. From what I remember of the epic skills, you continuously read thoughts and know everyones motivation for everything, as an EX no less, and can instantly make pretty much anyone/thing your fanatic follower. You have your own private multiverse where even the deities dance to your whim. You become an overgod with minimal effort, surpass the realm of normal deities and become so far removed from the reality you know that you are unrecognizable to everyone.

It unsuitable for more than a single session lark, you then move beyond reality and do not concern yourself with the actions of mortals, gods, and PCs. I had an epic wizard/cleric once who got to like 150 int/wis and it was already so insane as to be functionally unplayable simply because there is almost no way to fail at anything barring DM fiat.

For silliness? Take extreme care in minute things, like make sure no one every steps on this blade of grass or it changes the future of everything because you can see all the possibilities. Make up whatever silliness you want, then make an untrained ability roll and what you said becomes trurth, you just understand on a whole different level.