PDA

View Full Version : reading pdf files on Kindle?

whisperwind1
2016-10-08, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, so I have a selection of pdfs from Drivethrurpg.com and I wanted to bring them on the go with something bigger than my tiny 3 inch screen smartphone. I was considering getting a kindle for this purpose, but I want to be sure the stuff will actually work on it. Do you guys know if I can read these files on kindle, or to go through a converter or something like that?

Much appreciated!

Gnoman
2016-10-09, 02:08 AM
You can indeed use PDF on a Kindle. However, depending on the quality of the PDF, you may not be happy with the result. I've purchased a few SFB rulebooks from ADB that were little more than a very clean scan, and we're almost unreadable because therr was no way to scale it.

You might be better off with a mid-range tablet instead.

Vinyadan
2016-10-09, 09:50 AM
I agree, ebook readers just aren't meant for PDF files. They use formats like epub, mobi and so on, which are very simple, so that the reader can make them flow as you would have a simple web page flow, if you change your web browser window width. PDF files are much more complex and have other stuff integrated that makes reflow extremely difficult and often unsatisfying; if there is no reflow, then you will just look at the page as-is, only on a B&W six-inch screen without real scrolling; in general, an underwhelming experience. You'd be better served with the lowest cost kindle fire tablet than with a kindle ebook reader. The only ebook reader I've heard was meant for PDF was an amazingly overpriced sony 13 inch monster that was only sold to business owners. A grand thing, in theory, but unreachable for most and as costly as a good laptop.

whisperwind1
2016-10-09, 10:06 AM
I agree, ebook readers just aren't meant for PDF files. They use formats like epub, mobi and so on, which are very simple, so that the reader can make them flow as you would have a simple web page flow, if you change your web browser window width. PDF files are much more complex and have other stuff integrated that makes reflow extremely difficult and often unsatisfying; if there is no reflow, then you will just look at the page as-is, only on a B&W six-inch screen without real scrolling; in general, an underwhelming experience. You'd be better served with the lowest cost kindle fire tablet than with a kindle ebook reader. The only ebook reader I've heard was meant for PDF was an amazingly overpriced sony 13 inch monster that was only sold to business owners. A grand thing, in theory, but unreachable for most and as costly as a good laptop.

Lol thanks for the advices, I ended up purchasing a 7 inch tablet similar to the kindle fire ( Alldaymall a88x 7") since it seems that format won't be an issue there.