PDA

View Full Version : Two for the Price of One (IC, 3.P, Invite)

Pages : [1] 2

JBarca
2016-10-08, 11:53 PM
After hearing rumors of the ever-growing successes of Teluren Denrickson's army to the southwest, you decide it's time to investigate. He is a warchief, first and foremost, but the amount of land he's claimed of late has been dubbed "Telion" by his followers. Though not apparently fighting for a righteous cause, he also is not needlessly cruel, nor does he make war against the innocents. Perhaps you can convince him to fight for Hieroneous? A beacon of the Lightning Lord, folding thousands of men and women without the desire or skill to be full-time warriors into its flock, is a real possibility.

You begin your march west across the Kathara Desert, pausing only to let your followers rest and drink. When you're less than a day's journey from the edge of the desert, though, something strange happens: a large group of Ghosts appears on the horizon. Hundreds of them, all swirling around a central location. They make no overtly hostile actions, but stay clustered together. A scout returns, explaining that his companion was killed when they neared the spirits.

You decide to investigate personally. The spirits leave you alone. You seek their aura, and find an overwhelming presence of taint, as you would expect. The violence that follows is brief - though Ghosts, they are not powerful spirits. Each holds a spear, sword, club, or bow. They fight in formation. They wear armor, of two distinct styles. Clearly, a battle was fought near here and the resulting carnage created enough malevolence that Ghosts were spawned from the fallen soldiers.

As you continue to travel, you notice more and more Ghosts dotting the countryside. Scouts report elderly men and women wandering the lands as zombies. Some strange new types of Undead are also spotted. Half-spirit, half-physical, these monsters are nearly mindless in their desire to move directly away from certain locations.

Worse still, a few of your warriors, including one captain, are killed by these wandering spirits and corpses. And you cannot revive them. They stay dead, even with your personal touch. Within two days, scouts report that the burial sites of your fallen followers are now haunted by their spirits. While still detecting as Evil, these spirits don't defend themselves in any way or instigate violence against you or yours.

The worst of it all, though, is what you notice when you camp. The Undead don't stay dead. Each one can be temporarily discorporated or dissipated, but they will inevitably return within twelve hours.

Before long, you come to the conclusion that something is happening to the Souls of the departed. As you reach this realization, you receive a Sending from Feinschmeker, requesting a meeting. It seems he has noticed the disturbing trend as well. Knowing that he has access to some ill-defined resources that could help solve this mystery, you accept the invitation and prepare to leave your men for a time.

Something strange is going on. A Councilmember had his body destroyed in battle over a week ago, but has not yet been found in his coffin. Preliminary divinations reveal that the Vampire is, in fact, utterly destroyed. His soul has taken on the form of a vengeful Ghost near the site of his death (the archives of a temple to Corellon Larethian that he was attempting to infiltrate). When destroyed, this Spirit simply reforms. The Elves are not pleased, and neither is the Council. Some members report that their victims are no longer rising as Spawn.

Instead, Ghosts, Zombies, and other types of intelligent and unintelligent Undead are rising across the land. No one is staying dead, and the natural process of recreation for Vampires and Liches has been interrupted in a spectacular fashion. In the ensuring vote, you, as a leading member of the Council and one of the more active members, are elected to investigate the occurrences and put a stop to them in any way you can.

Naturally, you begin by speaking with Tyrga. The two of you soon realize that it is likely that the souls of everyone slain are beginning to return to the Primes. Something is preventing them from moving on to the afterlife.

You contact your Archon buddy and request a meeting, hoping his expertise will be able to shed some light on the problem.

It is dark atop the Key, a small mountain on a large island east of Thrylia. A copper-skinned Celestial, nearly glowing with holiness, stands opposite a well-dressed, well-kept man of somewhat indeterminate, though moderately advanced, age. Having arrived at nearly the same time, the two begin to discuss the issue at hand...

Feel free to use this place for OoC stuff (use spoilers), or you can use the Gchat (either with all three of us or just me, I don't care). Otherwise, IC stuff here. Private stuff should go in Spoilers labeled DM or JBarca or w/e.

antoin
2016-10-09, 12:14 AM
"Sah."

"Surely you've heard about the rising numbers of ghosts and undead in the land. It's the natural way of the world, is it not, that people who are dead stay dead? Besides concern for the safety of innocents who are being terrorized by these abominations, I'm concerned about what could be causing this. My expertise is largely in the matters of Arcana and this...strikes me as well beyond the work of a spell."

"Do you have any insight? What could be doing this to peoples' souls?"

"On a more theological note, how does Heironeous's justice and mercy apply to these people? I imagine he would not be fond of unlife, but something tells me these undead might be victims, not the perpetrators. Do they suffer condemnation or do they receive pity?"

glitterbaby
2016-10-09, 02:48 AM
The twelve-foot tall, copper-skinned celestial examines his work-in-progress before saying anything. Thinking it wise to never skip niceties when dealing with mortals, Halfir dons a grin.

"I see that I need not ask how you are progressing in your growing morality. Heironeous must surely favor you to see you in such good keeping. I am glad to see you well, my child.

On to the matters at hand then; you correct in many of your assumptions. A great curse plagues this land though not one likely of the works of any mortal's arcane prowess. The fact that souls are not, or cannot move on is troubling. The answer could lie in the latter of the two. Perhaps the souls are not capable of moving on. This could be the result of any number of things but, with the information I currently hold, I am led to believe that our answer lies in the Planes. Perhaps there is some misalignment and the souls cannot physically move on. Perhaps something is blocking them or there is too large a metaphysical gap for them to jump. A more extreme suggestion is that the Astral Plane, through which all souls filter before reaching their final destination, is somehow functioning improperly. Finally another reason could be, and it really is absolutely ludicrous, that the souls are being rejected from the Outer Planes in some way.

I agree with you, all of these potential reasons are likely outside the scope of any mortal's arcane capabilities. It's possible that some group would be appealing to a higher power and also possible that said group could be blindly prodding at machinations beyond their understanding.

What types of creatures have you encountered into which these restless spirits have manifested?

As for your question on morality, I apologize but there is no good answer. If the spirits threaten innocents, they must be dispatched. Our first priority is, and must always be, saving those who are yet savable.

You feel inspired by Halfir's raw glory. +1 moral bonus to attacks, AC, and saves while you're within line of sight of him.

antoin
2016-10-10, 02:37 PM
"Keep calling me your child and I'll start calling you Dad," Feinschmecker says with a sarcastic grin on his face. You get the sense that he might have been ever-so-slightly offended.

"Your theory about the metaphysical gap is plausible - however, such an occurrence would be strange and remains wholly unexplained, even if true. I find it hard to believe that anything is wrong with the Astral Plane - I got here just fine, didn't I? Souls being rejected from the Outer Planes is...well, 'ludicrous' is putting it mildly, at least for this scale. And even if that were what is happening, it would be something I wager would be beyond our ability to help."

"The story of mortals reaching at power beyond their ken is nothing new, and I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the case after all. The question is, if it is such a group, who and WHO? Who would desire that - especially in the event of their own death? Life as a zombie is less than glamorous. WHO would grant such power to mortals to be exercised - do not the gods desire souls to journey to their planes?"

"The spirits have manifested themselves as ghosts, zombies, skeletons, wraiths, and some simply remain as lost spirits. I haven't sat down to talk with them about their problems, if that's what you're asking. However, I wouldn't be opposed to capturing some to find out more."

"Lastly, my question still stands on the fate of souls that are trapped in undead form. Does Heironeous universally condemn all unlife? I agree that these souls should be sent to their respective resting places. Sooner rather than later, for the aggressive types. But if some virtuous man dies and finds himself wandering as a wraith...is he to blame? Once he is liberated from his unliving form, is he still free to rest with Heironeous? If the answer is no, shouldn't our efforts be focused on containing the undead until they can be truly set free instead of slaughtering them outright?"

glitterbaby
2016-10-10, 05:44 PM
Halfir frowns at Feinschmecker's dismissal of graciousness.

"You requested insight and I produced a wide variety of potential explanations. The difficulty with issues of this magnitude is that they are usually... difficult.. to explain. Once you achieve a certain level of power, strength of will becomes the main determinant. The more powerful of the mortals tend to have a more consistent strength of will while those who aren't likely to achieve much are more consistently weaker willed. My kind are usually cemented in place. Except in rare cases, we are unable to grow in power but are guaranteed to have what we are created with."

His final sentence comes slowly. He seems to be completely lost in thought, as if only perceiving one second passing when ten do. A smile makes it's way across his face again and, as though it where the first sentence of his response, Halfir offers a quick and quip:

"You seem to speak from experience, Feinschmecker. Ah-ha unlife as a zombie, could you imagine?"

"I think one time can hardly be considered nothing new. I think the question of who would want to is rather trivial. There exist beings of considerable power that are not gods. Beings that would love to spite the gods. One potential origin of this accursed plot would be one of abyssal origin. Those scum care not for the souls of mortals, they have no need for them. It potentially makes sense in terms of their overall goals as well, we've been making progress on the portals. Potentially an "if I can't get it then no one can" type of motivation."

"Regardless of who is doing it, you present a fair question: how do we manage the undead that are here now. If they were normal ghosts, we could destroy them without any question. Normal ghosts are simply echoes of the soul departed. In this case the souls of the departed have physically not left the world. I've encountered half-spirit, half-corporeal creatures. Even worse, the souls manifest again after twelve or so hours so even if we wanted to destroy them, which would destroy the soul causing it to diffuse into the magic of the plane, we'd have to find what's tethering them and destroy it. The best course of action would be to give the creatures a wide berth. Evacuate citizens if need be and defend them against any aggressive creatures. This is a situation with many moving parts and unexplained or unknown variables. I cannot answer your question, I'd have to meditate on it."

antoin
2016-10-10, 08:40 PM
"We'll have to see what your meditation holds for answers to the ethical dilemmas in front of us. In the meantime, I think a hunt for one of these afflicted souls is the most direct way to gather more information. What if we teleport to a city and just go after some of the first ones we see? Unless, of course, you have a particular specimen in mind. I don't have anything better to do tonight, and undead like the dark or whatever."
Feinschmecker is as nonchalant as the text would indicate.

1d20 + 6 K(Local) for a good city for such an occasion

1d20 + 22 K(Planes) to know what Halfir is capable of

antoin
2016-10-10, 08:44 PM
[roll0] K(Local) see above
[roll1] K(Planes) see above

JBarca
2016-10-10, 09:16 PM
Local - A good city? What are the criteria?
Planes - Trumpet archons serve as celestial messengers and heralds, though their martial skills are considerable. They are able to cast spells equal to the upper echelon of mortal Clerics, though they tend to prefer melee combat.

And general Archon traits: -Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.

- Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. The save DC varies with the type of archon, is Charisma-based, and includes a +2 racial bonus. Those who fail take a –2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

- Immunity to electricity and petrification.

- +4 racial bonus on saves against poison.

- Magic Circle against Evil (Su): A magic circle against evil effect always surrounds an archon (caster level equals the archon’s Hit Dice). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an archon’s statistics block.)

- Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects.

- Tongues (Su): All archons can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

glitterbaby
2016-10-10, 09:41 PM
"You have me mistaken. I have no intentions of spending an entire day in meditation when we have a problem so pressing on hand. I won't remain idle while innocents are being threatened. Our best course of action until the source have been discovered and dealt with will be to inform all the clerics and rulers of the land to avoid the undead. They ought to evacuate where they need to and station a cleric with every group that travels out. Even the more unsavory clerics will be able to rebuke and command. The more conflict we can prevent the more souls we can potentially save."

"I did have one group of undead in mind. A horde of ghostly warriors I encountered a few days back. I slew them but they ought to have remanifested. We can speak to them now or we can warn the nations, might be better to gather a little more information so I suggest we seek out the undead first.

antoin
2016-10-10, 09:45 PM
"Going for the undead now works for me," Feinschmecker says as a little burning humanoid on his shoulder disappears with a wink and a smile.

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/robin-williams-inline.jpg

glitterbaby
2016-10-10, 10:42 PM
"It's over by the Kathara. I came across the group with my army."

Halfir then gives a description of the area to suit the needs of the Greater Teleport spell.

He then disappears.

(Su) Greater Teleport to the place.

antoin
2016-10-10, 11:14 PM
Greater TP

JBarca
2016-10-15, 07:47 PM
You both step through the Astral Plane, mere seconds apart, and find yourselves in a desert. It is cold, and the half-moon is the only real light.

In the distance, you can see vague shapes of shambling forms, milling about in a cluster near the point Halfir expected the spirits to be. You are certain that the spirits are still there; you can feel the psychic echo of hundreds of souls, pressing against the very border of the Plane. The spirits, though, are invisible, especially in the dimness. A weak breeze blows toward you, carrying the scent of death and decay from the direction of the dead.

After a few seconds, a few forms move toward you. They are much less clumsy than the others. In fact, they seem to be walking nearly completely upright and with no difficulty. Perhaps survivors? Their approach is slow, almost cautious.

The forms are at least 200ft away.

The approaching figures are still over 150ft away. What do you do?

The ground beneath you is replete with vermin and small rodents, but nothing with a real Int score.

antoin
2016-10-15, 08:48 PM
I think you, JBarca, take care of our Perception checks? Otherwise I can roll here: [roll0]

Gesturing magically, I speak softly to Halfir: "Any particular tactics you fancy? I'd suggest drawing these ones moving toward us away from the other odd shambling forms, in case they turn out to be unfriendly. Then we engage them in conversation, or, that failing, we end them and move on to said shambling forms. I can only read more about them if they get a little closer, but I'd rather divide and conquer."
Cast Moment of Prescience on myself.

glitterbaby
2016-10-16, 04:12 PM
"I'm going to allow them to approach as I approach casually. If they are, indeed, hostile, I'll offer them the first blow. You may stand back if you'd like, I do not expect you to display the same honor as I."

Halfir waits

JBarca
2016-10-16, 04:25 PM
The figures approach, coming to a stop about 50 feet away, then stop. They look to be fourteen completely normal humanoids - eight Humans, two Dwarves, and three Halflings, and one Half-Elf. They each wear armor of decent, though not spectacular, make and carry weapons of a similar quality (spears, short swords, hammers, and bows). They each wear a silver broach on their breast. A swirl, like a hurricane, surrounding a flame.

One of the Dwarves, hefting a large warhammer, steps forward another pace and holds up his hammer in greeting before handing it to the other Dwarf. leaving himself unarmed. He walks to within 30 feet and speaks quietly. Were it not for the utter silence of the desert, you would strain to hear him. His eyes are wide, his flesh pale, and his bead is matted with blood.

"Hail. Krothgun of the Djinn-Blessed, at your service. Unless you have a message for me or mine, we ask you to depart this place. We are celebrating a miracle and do not wish to be interrupted."

Neither of you recognize the name or the symbol.

The fourteen are all Undead and have Intelligence scores ranging from 8 to 14 (The Dwarf speaking is 14, none of the others is above a 12).

glitterbaby
2016-10-16, 06:45 PM
Halfir gives the dwarf a once-over before unsheathing the Ambassador and plunging it into the sand. He the approaches and offers a fist-to-chest salute.

"Aye, friend. Halfir, at yours. Cast aside your worries; you're among friends. Pardon our ignorance but what sort of miracle? As you can probably imagine, I'm terribly curious."

Detect Evil SLA

antoin
2016-10-16, 07:25 PM
Making a bizarre gesture towards Krothgun's head("bead?"), Feinschmecker asks, "Has this...miracle or its celebrations injured any of you? (with a genuine smile) I'd be happy to heal you if that's the case."
Std: Detect Magic. Bluff that the "bizarre gesture" is not Detecting and is just that: [roll0]
Swift: Vatic Gaze Krothgun.
In your mind: Ready yourself. I'm suspicious.

antoin
2016-10-16, 07:26 PM
Because the roller hates me:[roll0]

JBarca
2016-10-16, 08:48 PM
The Dwarf shakes his head in wonder and Feinschmecker's question.

"Just the opposite. Mine and mineself were killed in battle, but rose again mere seconds later to continue the fight. The Flame and Moradin have truly blessed our cause. That is the miracle."

There is Evil present. After six seconds, you know that there are fourteen auras, and the strongest is "Strong." After another six seconds, you know that each of the fourteen Humanoids is surrounded by an Evil aura.

First round - Magical auras are present.
Second - Three magical auras are present. The strongest is faint.
Third - All auras are faint. One is on Krothgun, one on the other Dwarf, and one of the Half-Elf. The auras are not within line of sight though (ie, they're probably items in pockets or packs), so you don't know the schools.
Krothgun has no spellcasting ability.

glitterbaby
2016-10-16, 09:01 PM
Halfir frowns.

"I see. I regret to inform you that this is not a phenomenon specific to this particular case and that it may not be Moradin or any other God responsible. At this point, this is purely conjecture but my companion and I are attempting to gather information. We'd be blessed if you lot would be willing to answer a few questions."

"There is a lingering Evil aura surrounding them all. My first assumption is that it's the result of some powerful necromancy. The most powerful of the auras is Strong so we're not facing some mere zombie raising. My first guess is they're Vampires but I'd need a moment to ensure that. That might explain the blood on his beard. Regardless of the specifics, they don't seem aggressive. I don't believe this to be their fault."

JBarca
2016-10-16, 09:49 PM
Krothgun pauses a moment, shakes his head as though clearing it of some thought or other, then shrugs.

"I suppose I don't see too much of an issue with answering a few questions."

He turns and waves, and all but the other Dwarf return to the site of their battle. The Dwarf approaches. Younger than Krothgun, he bears a hammer and a short sword, but he places them on the ground a few feet away from the discussion. Blood and viscera cover his left side. He bows at the waist until his torso is parallel to the ground, then straightens.

"Darmuthg of the Djinn-Blessed, at your service."

glitterbaby
2016-10-16, 10:46 PM
"A pleasure, I'm sure. Straight to business then and slow me if I'm moving too fast or being too direct. Any and all information could be vital so you'll forgive me if I seem to gloss over niceties."

Halfir then asks a series of questions. After each question he waits for an answer and carefully makes note of it in his head. With a significantly above average intelligence, I'm hoping Halfir can keep track of the responses without taking physical note of them.

Some of the more important questions asked are:

Briefly note your and yours' history. Whence do the lot of you hail? Under which banner did you march? You mentioned Moradin, is he the only god or concept you revere?

When, both in relative and objective time, was the battle in which you fought? Death can have a way of skewing perceptions, I need to be sure you're not actually hundreds of thousands of years old and are just returning now, though I doubt that as a possibility.

What did you experience in the brief moments you were dead? If it is as you said and it were mere seconds, you should have not had any experiences at all; your souls should not have yet left your bodies. Could you confirm or deny this?

What caused you to fall in the battle? You all seem like capable combatants, surely no mere mundane army felled you?

Is the blood spattering your clothes and beards from the battle? Why were your companions clean yet you're soaked?

Do you feel as though you are in the same moral and ethical frame-of-mind as before? Would you feel confident in your abilities to make the same decisions as you would before?

Finally, are you aware the stink of Evil lingers over you? Your aura is filthy. Is this your way or have you been tainted?"

antoin
2016-10-17, 04:52 PM
@Halfir's noggin
Do not fear to press any issue or to see what their so-called celebration is. They are laughably mundane. That being said, I believe you to be correct in thinking this necromancy was not their own doing. They do not possess the strength to pull it off themselves.

Vatic Gaze the other scrub

JBarca
2016-10-17, 06:35 PM
Briefly note your and yours' history. Whence do the lot of you hail? Under which banner did you march? You mentioned Moradin, is he the only god or concept you revere?

"We hail from all across Thrylia. I myself am from the Lapiz clan. Darmuthg is as well. Others are from various settlements and nations. We even have a Halfling marching with us from across the sea. We fight as Djinn-Blessed, as we said. Our banner is the Silver Flame of Herhalium-" He taps the piece of silver on his chest "- though we each have our own practices. I and mine worship Moradin. Others Hieroneous, Correllon Larethian, Olidammara, Yondalla... All the deities have a place here."

When, both in relative and objective time, was the battle in which you fought? Death can have a way of skewing perceptions, I need to be sure you're not actually hundreds of thousands of years old and are just returning now, though I doubt that as a possibility.
"We fought a few days ago. Four, maybe? I don't recall the date of our battle, if that's what you're asking. No need to keep track of that sort of thing out here. I am sure I don't know what you're hinting at here, so be out with it."

What did you experience in the brief moments you were dead? If it is as you said and it were mere seconds, you should have not had any experiences at all; your souls should not have yet left your bodies. Could you confirm or deny this?
"Nothing. Darkness like the deepest tunnels. And pain, of course. I'm no soul expert, I can only say that I die

What caused you to fall in the battle? You all seem like capable combatants, surely no mere mundane army felled you?
"An arrow to the chest for me. Darmuthg took an axe to the flank, but kept fighting until he bled out. He did us proud." Krothgun claps a hand to his companion's shoulder, who maintains his stoic expression.

Is the blood spattering your clothes and beards from the battle? Why were your companions clean yet you're soaked?
"From the battle, aye. Our foe had a potent Arcanist aiding them, so it mayhaps could be that they were felled by his curses rather than by a blade or bolt. I could not tell you."

Do you feel as though you are in the same moral and ethical frame-of-mind as before? Would you feel confident in your abilities to make the same decisions as you would before?
"Not sure what you're asking here, friend. These questions are foolish, and my men await me..."

Finally, are you aware the stink of Evil lingers over you? Your aura is filthy. Is this your way or have you been tainted?
"Again, I don't know what you mean. My 'aura?' I'm a simple Dwarf. I fight, I enjoy gold, I long for the mountains. This talk of taint and auras is for a priest or philosopher, not a warrior. Is that all?"

Both Dwarves have been growing ever more impatient as your questions continue.

No casting ability whatsoever.

antoin
2016-10-17, 09:01 PM
"We hail from all across Thrylia. I myself am from the Lapiz clan. Darmuthg is as well. Others are from various settlements and nations. We even have a Halfling marching with us from across the sea. We fight as Djinn-Blessed, as we said. Our banner is the Silver Flame of Herhalium-" He taps the piece of silver on his chest "- though we each have our own practices. I and mine worship Moradin. Others Hieroneous, Correllon Larethian, Olidammara, Yondalla... All the deities have a place here."

"For what cause do you fight? Are you roving mercenaries, or do you pursue a certain goal? Who pays you?"

"We fought a few days ago. Four, maybe? I don't recall the date of our battle, if that's what you're asking. No need to keep track of that sort of thing out here. I am sure I don't know what you're hinting at here, so be out with it."

"As my companion has stated, even an apparently brief sojourn into death can drastically alter your perception of the world. Answer me these questions - how long have you been awake? How long ago did the battle end? Have you been watching your opponents to see if they might rise again as well?"
Following this, I ask him a few broad questions such as leaders of major nations, just to see if his answers match the present, or something close to it.

"Not sure what you're asking here, friend. These questions are foolish, and my men await me..."

I ask him his views on several basic ethical questions, and ask him how that compares with the ideals of the Silver Flame and his views before his death.

"Again, I don't know what you mean. My 'aura?' I'm a simple Dwarf. I fight, I enjoy gold, I long for the mountains. This talk of taint and auras is for a priest or philosopher, not a warrior. Is that all?"

"He is a priest of sorts, and I am a philosopher. And your insight, 'friend' (in flawless Dwarvish), is invaluable to us. Please, spare no detail."

glitterbaby
2016-10-17, 10:13 PM
"Where will you go now?"

JBarca
2016-10-17, 11:36 PM
"For what cause do you fight? Are you roving mercenaries, or do you pursue a certain goal? Who pays you?"

"We fight for our Genie masters. In truth, we are mercenaries, but there is no reason not to fight for royalty than can conjure up all the wealth we'll ever need with the snap of his fingers."

"As my companion has stated, even an apparently brief sojourn into death can drastically alter your perception of the world. Answer me these questions - how long have you been awake? How long ago did the battle end? Have you been watching your opponents to see if they might rise again as well?"
Following this, I ask him a few broad questions such as leaders of major nations, just to see if his answers match the present, or something close to it.
"We've been 'awake' for... For several days now. Four, perhaps? We woke up immediately following the battle."

His answers regarding current events are accurate for the most part. Ignorance seems to be the cause of the mistakes.

I ask him his views on several basic ethical questions, and ask him how that compares with the ideals of the Silver Flame and his views before his death.
He answers one or two questions (giving you the vague sense of Lawfulness) before he tires of the talk. "As I said, I'm not a philosopher. I tire of this, and wish to rejoin my followers."

He turns to leave, answering Halfir's question over his shoulder. "East. Our masters await."

Darmuthg offers a brief bow, then hurries to follow, grabbing the discarded weapons as he goes.

glitterbaby
2016-10-18, 12:04 AM
"Your masters are to the east then? I'd very much like to have a word with them. Where are they, specifically?"

JBarca
2016-10-18, 09:29 AM
The Dwarves continue walking. Krothgun speaks over his shoulder before reaching shouting distance.

"Herhalium lies to the east, as I said. I wish you luck and no ill-will, but you've kept me and mine long enough."

glitterbaby
2016-10-18, 07:54 PM
"Safe travels, friends."

"Come, Feinschmecker. We have an appointment with a few heads of state. The Traveling City awaits."

antoin
2016-10-20, 12:31 AM
After a few minutes, Feinschmecker casts Find the Path (to the Traveling City) on Halfir.
"You got around 3 hours. Go get 'em, champ. Just Send or teleport back here when you find it. Depending on how far away it is, I'd rather save the spell slots if I can. I'll wait around this area until I hear from you."
Probably irrelevant, but I take [roll0] damage from casting the spell.

JBarca
2016-10-20, 07:28 PM
You're pulled East by Northeast by the spell.

glitterbaby
2016-10-20, 07:31 PM
Greater Teleport, say halfway, across the desert int hat direction. I'm going to be continuing this until I'm able to find the place.

JBarca
2016-10-20, 08:11 PM
You blink and find yourself in a heavy sandstorm, about 200 miles away from your initial position. Between it and the darkness of night, you can see absolutely nothing. The sand is stinging, but you get the distinct impression that the storm is dying down quickly. The sands are settling, the winds are dying.

There is a moment's delay in the effects of your spell as it catches up to your magical movement and brush with the Astral. You are guided farther in the same direction.

A 100 mile teleport later, and you are in a silent plain of sand. It's dark, it's cold, and it smells of baked sand. You are pulled backwards.

This continues, pulling you closer and closer to the first teleport endpoint, finally ending a mere 206 miles from your start point with Feinschmecker. Eight teleportations (one to confirm) and you are definitely within a few hundred feet of the spell's end. You begins to fly as the sandstorm finally dies around you, leaving it silent once again. within seconds, the spell ends, having brought you to its target. You are surrounded by silence.

antoin
2016-10-20, 08:50 PM
Feinschmecker twiddles his thumbs: [roll0]
Feinschmecker casually examines the camp. If pressed on why he's there, he simply states he'd like to "study" their fallen enemies (which he does). He is amicable and does his best not to step on any toes. While he's there, he's looking for any notable magical loot, and who they were fighting (and their bodies).

JBarca
2016-10-20, 09:32 PM
There is no camp. Do you mean you're walking toward the mass of shapes a few hundred feet away?

antoin
2016-10-20, 09:35 PM
mhm

Random fact of the day: messages have to have at least 10 characters.

glitterbaby
2016-10-20, 09:47 PM
Halfir returns in the dead of night, an unimpressed look upon his face.

"Our magick failed us, Feinschmecker. Disappointing... Too often are the denizens of this world looking for the most efficient option when they ought to be seeking the correct route. When I came upon the area the spell led me I was met with nothing but two dim auras. The first was originally a strong conjuration, the second a moderate transmutation. Unfortunately it seems our city has evaded us for the time being. Perhaps the creatures we encountered earlier have some innate calling from home? My guess going forward is that if the city is approached by magical means it leaves."

JBarca
2016-10-20, 10:03 PM
There are no bodies on the ground as you approach. Every body is moving about. Every body is Undead, with a huge variety of Int scores (from 5-15). There are even a few dozen creatures flying around the sky above you, invisibly.

As you near, though, the more shambling forms begin to congregate on you and they do no look like they want to chat. A few of the fourteen who approached you earlier stand in their way and urge them to be reasonable, but the creatures continue to march toward you. They are misshapen and ugly, with rotting flesh and tortured visages. They look almost like Zombies, but there is still some level of intelligence in their hate-filled eyes.

antoin
2016-10-20, 10:10 PM
Feinschmecker slowly backs up to give them space. "Some celebration. I merely came to study the bodies of your fallen foes to make sure they did not rise again. I advise you to listen to your more reasonable colleagues and leaders."

OoC: I'm not letting them get within 20 ft.

JBarca
2016-10-20, 10:16 PM
They continue to follow, though their more reasonable companions slow them down. You can easily outrun them, and none seem to be carrying ranged weapons. The don't give up pursuit, though. You are aware that they do have intelligence, but it's low (average of 7 or so).

antoin
2016-10-20, 10:22 PM
I continue trying to investigate and talk to them(including Detect Magic and Vatic Gaze) while leading them on a little ring-around-the-rosie thing if they keep being menacing and advancing. Ideally, I circle around back to where they were before so I can see what was going on there.

JBarca
2016-10-20, 10:28 PM
The say nothing, and are possibly incapable of speech. None of the creature following you or slowing them down are capable of spellcasting. There are a bunch of faint auras, probably 5-10. No more than one centered on any one being.

Nothing is really going on, anymore. Everyone is watching the crazy new kid lead a bunch of monsters around in a circle. As you near, the bunch up, clearly ready to defend themselves. The invisible creatures in the air also being moving toward you, but not with any real speed, yet. Of the few dozen invisible creatures, three can cast spells (3rds, 3rds, and 4ths).

JBarca
2016-10-21, 09:20 AM
Your mind slave is next to to tou, waiting patiently.

You reappear, but your companion is nowhere to be seen. The creatures you came here to investigate are doing as they were when you first arrived, but they send no one to treat with you this time.

JBarca
2016-10-22, 11:56 AM
Yeah he proceeds to tell me everything he knows about the Traveling City, about the origins of his group
About their group's exact mission, their leaders, how much they get paid
Etc.

"Well, the city is made of air entirely. It sails about on clouds and in mist. The walls and streets, the roofs, everything is made of compressed air. It's surrounded by a swirling dome of a similar gas. I frankly have no idea how it all works, but I'm almost sure it has something to do with Airlord Bhehesslhin. He's the Genie who rules the city and controls where it goes. It typically stays in the Kathara, but sometimes, when the Airlord is feeling particularly flighty, it will move vertically. It sails so high that the clouds in the sky mix with the clouds that make up the city's base. It will go so high that you can't even see the ground anymore. You can see nothing but air and the occasional cloud. It's amazing, and terrifying.

The city is constantly surrounded by the worst sandstorm you've ever seen. Miles across, with winds whipping the sand around like it's trying to hurt you. Take special dispensation from the Airlord to make it through unscathed. It's good that we have that, or I'd never reach the air tunnel. I've seen the storm close to the city shred a man down to bone in seconds. Horrifying, honestly, but brutally effective.

Anyway, the city isn't huge, but it's big enough to warrant a Genie lord. The streets are never perfectly straight, the walls are all bowed. It's made of wind, after all. Some of the building are four or five stories tall. It's beautiful the way they manage to color the air itself.

The best bar is the Crooked Flightpath. Cheap vodka, great wenches, and the best singer this side of Arkionak [Huge metropolis far to the east. Famous continent-wide for it size and magic-based culture/architecture]. Plus it's got the Lifted Skirts right across the way. The whores there are better'n any you'll find elsewhere. Down the main avenue, you can find a multitude of inns and taverns - the Blasted Brick, the Winged Waypoint, the Breezy Bunk, the Breath of Evening, and the Bird's Eerie. The Bunk's cheap, but the Eerie is more comfortable. The Waypoint is owned by some old Wizard, but he spends most of his time in the Palace. He's an advisor and probably bodyguard to Bhehesslhin.

Seleyila is an incredible duelist. She runs a prestigious fencing academy off some backroad, about a block off the main avenue. She's rumored to be Bhehesslhin's daughter, but no one would say that out loud of either of them. Beautiful lass, if a bit skinny. Deadly with that blade of hers. I'd wager it's enchanted, but who knows. She could be just that good.

There's a small enclave of Dwarves in the city. They claim to hate it, but they have carved out a respectable living as the city's earth experts. Gems, stone, earth, metal - they import and trade in the wares better than anyone else, and also run a bit of a consultation service. They're headed by Krothgun's uncle, actually. Barthgam. He's got a diamond bigger than my fist that he likes to show off. Word is that he plans to give it to Bhehesslhin as a gift before too long, possibly during a holiday or for the Airlord's birthday.

The population is pretty mixed. Genies are fairly common, though, which is interesting. You can walk down the cloud paths and find street magicians capable of literally creating food or drink, fancy illusions, and the like. Many business owners do business as a pastime - they definitely don't need the gold. The city is guarded by two nasty looking monsters. Not sure what they are, but they're entirely peaceful so long as you're a friend of Bhehesslhin's. They stand at the only entrance to the city, which is a small opening in the solid air dome surrounding the place. The opening is connected to a tunnel, maybe 50 feet long, also made of that solid air. So anyone approaching has to walk for a long distance down a narrow tunnel, well within the line of sight of two monsters. Chilling. Incredibly easy to defend, too, but I don't think anyone has ever tried to assault the place, except for the odd Demon every now and again. It's only been around for about fifty years, though, so maybe someone'll come after us.

Herhalium*has no formal military, though. Not even a police force. Regardless, no one disrupts Bhehesslhin's law out of fear of him and his three pets. The two guards are frightening enough, but his third pet is a Dragon. A Dragon! It dwells beneath his palace, they say. I'd like to see it, but I value my life too much.

But that's where we come in. Well, with the laws and military, not the Dragon, of course. We are the Djinn-Blessed, a group of mercenaries hired by the Airlord himself to serve the city. We were created when the city was founded, though I wasn't there personally of course. Krothgun was, and a few of the other elders.

We're led by a Janni named Estefane. She's a mage of some sort, but I don't know the specifics. She rarely is in the field anymore. Krothgun is the usual field commander for longer missions - he has a talent for logistics, I'm told. For faster, strike-and-fade style of missions, Reeve leads us. He's an Elf - a distant relation of mine, in fact. He's an archer by trade, but he is also a brilliant tactician.

Our mission is simple; we do what the Airlord commands. He fills our coffers, we fight for him. This almost always means we fight leftover Demons patrolling the desert. Sometimes we fight roaming tribes, too. Rumor is that he wants to claim the whole desert as his own domain. But anytime a group gets too strong or organized, we show up and destroy them. We're incredibly effective and motivated, since he pays so well. I'm given six gold coins a day. Each warrior is given the same. Mages are given nine, and priests eleven. Officers get fourteen, Korthgun and Reeve make more than that."

He stops suddenly, as though he feels he's completed your command.

JBarca
2016-10-22, 07:10 PM
After a few minutes of waiting, Halfir, you send two creature approaching from the opposite side of the group of mercenaries.

Feinschmecker, you sense a being standing at the location you first appeared in.

Outsider, 20 Int. Same as Halfir.

As your approach within 60ft, you see each other. Alongside Feinschmecker is an Elf. He wears brigandine armor and has a rapier at his hip.

You're aware that the Elf is under the effects of some heavy Enchantment magic, due mostly to his perfectly steady gait, perfectly level stare, and complete lack of interest in anything going on around him.

antoin
2016-10-22, 07:33 PM
"Howdy, Halfir! Any luck finding the city? This gentleman gentle-elf, excuse me, was just telling me all about it. Sounds quite nice!"
The Elf is commanded to smile and act rather amiable. To aid his charade, I telepathically inform him that we really ARE quite friendly, and he's got no reason to worry. He might even be rewarded for helping us find the City!

JBarca
2016-10-22, 07:40 PM
The Elf stops walking toward Halfir and smiles at him. He waves and continues smiling, seemingly thrilled to be in the presence of the Archon.

glitterbaby
2016-10-22, 11:25 PM
Saying nothing, Halfir flies towards the elf. First examining the creature over a moment, Halfir places a thumb on the elf's forehead and looks up towards the night sky. He murmurs a few words in an ancient tongue and a mote of light flickers into being. The light grows to encapsulate the pair before extinguishing. Halfir inspects his handiwork.

Greater Dispel Magic: [roll0]

JBarca
2016-10-22, 11:27 PM
The Elf accepts the touch and continues to smile directly at Halfir the entire time. Nothing in his demeanor changes in any way.

glitterbaby
2016-10-22, 11:29 PM
Halfir turns to Feinschmecker.

"Explain immediately."

antoin
2016-10-22, 11:34 PM
"They were being uncooperative. I decided to try to make one cooperative. I've been very good to him the entire time, and I have every intention of continuing to do so."

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 12:00 AM
"Don't play ignorant with me. You're too intelligent to not grasp that without the ability to choose Evil, Good cannot exist. Release him now."

antoin
2016-10-23, 12:18 AM
He is release.

JBarca
2016-10-23, 12:21 AM
The Elf takes a moment and shakes his head, as though clearing it of something.

He draws his sword and points it at Feinschmecker.

"I hereby challenge you to a duel, fiend. Keep your black magic away and present your blade. I'm going to teach you how this is done in a fair fight."

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 12:50 AM
Halfir looks on, expectantly. "Your blade then, Feinschmecker."

antoin
2016-10-23, 01:18 AM
"I carry no blade. If you, Halfir, care to lend me yours (or can find me one) I can use that. Otherwise, my bare hands will do."

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 02:53 AM
"If your challenger here would approve of it, I could be gone and back with a sword within the minute."

JBarca
2016-10-23, 09:34 AM
The man is nearly shaking with anger.

"I don't care. Find a blade, you monster. I would kill you without being labeled a coward or murderer."

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 11:31 AM
"Kill? No, child I'll have none of that. I'll approve of a duel to first blood or until one party can no longer continue from fatigue, but I will have no death. As odd as it may seem, this creature is under my tutelage. As you know, redemption is a long and trying process. Feinschmecker here has come a long way since we started but there is still so much work to do."

JBarca
2016-10-23, 01:24 PM
"Fine, whatever. Get him a blade! I want to see him bleed!"

Halfir disappears, then reappears moments later, proffering a longsword to Feinschmecker.

The Half-Elf nods and extends his blade, waiting for his opponent to ready himself.

antoin
2016-10-23, 04:38 PM
"I do hope you know what a terrible idea this is. Put the blade down and I'll hold none of this against you," Feinschmecker says, casually holding the blade at his side. He makes no first move.

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 05:42 PM
Halfir walks over to each contestant and attempts to cast a spell on each.

"I'll mediate then. If you would both allow it, a divine blessing such that I can monitor both parties and ensure the sands see no more death tonight."

"Raise your blade, Feinschmecker. Declining a challenge is an act of cowardice. Raise your blade and cast aside your magicks, it is the honorable thing to do."

Greater Status

antoin
2016-10-23, 05:53 PM
"There's no need for your spells. No magic? Then there will be none of these 'divine blessings' either. Don't want any bitterness about 'not getting to finish the fight.'"

"This is getting old. Let's just get this over with."

[roll0]

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 06:04 PM
"I'll be presiding over this duel and I won't allow more death today. Accept the spell."

JBarca
2016-10-23, 06:21 PM
Init Roll - Doesn't matter. His mod is more than 6.

The swordsman drops into a fencer's stance and takes a step forward, thrusting as he does so. Once, twice, thrice, four times directly at Feinschmecker's face.

Attack rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Crit on 19-20: [roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Dmg Rolls
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

JBarca
2016-10-23, 07:27 PM
For real now. He does have a higher enough Init

The swordsman drops into a fencer's stance and takes a step forward, thrusting at his foe's face as he does so.

You're FF by nature of not acting yet, and his attack is treated as a touch attack.

attack - [roll0]
Crit if needed (18-20) - [roll1]

Damage [roll2]

antoin
2016-10-23, 09:23 PM
A look of disappointment crosses Feinschmecker's face as he glances over at Halfir.
"Why?" (@noggin)He drifts off the ground and resumes a neutral expression as he nonchalantly flicks the sword back and forth at his opponent.
I 5-ft fly straight up and full attack him.
Attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
We all know crits don't matter with this guy.
Damage:
[roll2]
[roll3]

JBarca
2016-10-23, 10:14 PM
Your opponent nimbly avoids both blows while calling out, "Flying? What sort of duel is this? Fight me like a warrior or yield and submit yourself to the justice of the City!"

He stabs upward, grasping his weapon with both hands, his eyes filled with rage.

Attack -
Crit on 18-20 1d20+20[/roll]

Dmg - [roll1] and [roll2]

antoin
2016-10-23, 10:22 PM
Effortlessly avoiding his flailing, Feinschmecker says as he glides a little closer to the ground: "You really are picky, aren't you. Sucking all the fun out of this! Besides, I'm just getting taller. Let me know if I should actually fly and attack you."
Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]
[roll3]

antoin
2016-10-23, 10:28 PM
@noggin: "While this weapon is fine in someone else's hands, it's been far too long since I've trained with a sword and my technique is trash. Care to grab me a more straightforward weapon? Spear, club, dagger, quarterstaff, whatever you fancy. I'm not picky. My current performance is embarrassing, even considering my lack of expertise with martial weapons."

JBarca
2016-10-23, 10:30 PM
The duelist capitalizes on Feinschmecker's lazy style and stabs out after a particularly looping slash.

AoO [roll0]
Crit? [roll1]
dmg [roll2]

He then jabs upward before stepping backward out of your reach and adopting a more defensive stance.

[roll3]
Crit [roll4]
dmg [roll5] and [roll6]

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 10:46 PM
"You'll fight with this. The two of us both know you need no assistance. Show me this might you keep prattling on about."

antoin
2016-10-23, 10:53 PM
@noggin: "You really are not helpful at all sometimes, you know? And prattle? When have you known me to boast about my 'might?' Much less with martial prowess...the arcana inside me is squirming at stooping to this form of combat."

One more time. My numbers went up because I forgot Mwk.
Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]
[roll3]

JBarca
2016-10-23, 10:57 PM
Both of Feinschmecker's attacks strike the Half-Elf, but fail to penetrate his armor.

The swordsman takes a moment to breath deeply, then stabs once, almost calmly.

[roll0]
Crit [roll1]
dmg [roll2]

antoin
2016-10-23, 11:07 PM
"This is pointless."
Feinschmecker disgustedly throws the sword into the ground and grabs at the swordsman.
Melee touch for a grapple. Take your AoO:
[roll0]
And the grapple check, should this work: [roll1]

JBarca
2016-10-23, 11:11 PM
"Get off me, you savage!"

The man steps backward and swings his word in an effort to fend off his enemy.

AoO
[roll0]
No point in rolling for a Crit. His atk roll can't hit your AC. Nat 20 breaks grapple.
dmg [roll1]

If fails, Grapple to avoid it [roll2]

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 11:27 PM
Looking horribly disappointed, Halfir flies over to the collapsed duel. He picks up Feinschmecker and tosses him aside.

"A disqualification is in order. If your challenger would like to continue the melee, I'll allow it."

Melee Touch: [roll0] (You're grappling so no AoO and against FF/Touch)
Grapple Check: [roll1]

antoin
2016-10-23, 11:42 PM
Feinschmecker just lets Halfir grapple him. He looks at you with disappointment tinged with betrayal in his eyes. Should you try to throw him, he will gladly be released but drift back a bit before alighting to the ground instead of tumbling to the ground like some peasant.

JBarca
2016-10-23, 11:44 PM
"Is that a forfeit, then? You're agreeing that this demon should be tried before the Airlord?"

Speaking to Halfir, here.

glitterbaby
2016-10-23, 11:54 PM
"A forfeit, if you decide it, yes. In any event, Feinschmecker will be tried before no being on this plane but me. He is under my tutelage and, therefore, my judicial authority. As I said before, redemption is a long and trying process. One cannot expect immediate results nor can one be surprised when encountering obstacles. I would certainly speak to this Airlord to hear his thoughts on appropriate sentencing. At present, you won the duel. Name your spoils and Heironeous may see them granted through me."

Diplomacy: 28 (taking 11)

antoin
2016-10-24, 12:14 AM
@noggin: "Let's...not go talk to the Airlord. At least on these terms. I'd rather not have to sit in his court - since it's his mercenary, he's going to rule against me. And I would hate to have to fight off his pets. Also, while I can defend myself with words, something tells me you make a fearsome prosecutor yourself."

glitterbaby
2016-10-24, 12:26 AM
I fear no Airlord. You sit in my court, no creature on this plane may rule over you but through me. Have no fear, Feinschmecker, no harm will come to us. Our approach is diplomatic and our goal is information gathering. Perhaps this Airlord has some information regarding the Undead springing up across the land.

antoin
2016-10-24, 04:53 PM
Suppressing the flicker of rage in his eyes to a much friendlier tone...
"First, I resent being called 'demon.' Some of the basest creatures in the multiverse. Second, according to Halfir's judgement you have won this contest or whatever this was. Personally, I don't see why people enjoy doing this - it's a waste of time and energy. In any event, if you win on Halfir's offer of a forfeit, are you not satisfied? While I would like to meet this Airlord, there is no need for trials. Take your spoils from Halfir, and either lead us to the city that we might visit him on friendly terms, or be on your way. You have no more grievance here, friend."

[roll0]

JBarca
2016-10-24, 05:03 PM
"I... Fine. I would claim as my spoils your presence at a trial, since you -" gesturing toward Halfir "- cannot claim jurisdiction within another's domain. Airlord Bhehesslhin rules these lands. He is my lord and I am his man, so an assault on me is an assault on his property. But I see now that such an outcome is not likely to occur, so as my spoils I will claim an oath from you both that you will never again do anything untoward with regards to the Airlord's men, including myself. And I'd like said oaths to be made in his presence, that he might enforce them."

Dat diplom.

antoin
2016-10-24, 05:21 PM
"If Halfir can accept, I will accept if 'do anything untoward' is more clearly defined."

JBarca
2016-10-24, 05:26 PM
"Attack physically or mentally, use hostile magic against, take control of, work against in less-than-direct ways. Things like that. I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. Don't do bad stuff to me or us."

glitterbaby
2016-10-24, 10:01 PM
"I can promise of myself and mine no undeserved affront to you and yours. As you can see, I am a being of pure Law and Goodness. I am the Celestial General of the largest force on the plane dedicated to these principles. You might say I and mine are rather predictable but I would make the declaration in any court nonetheless. As I've been saying for this entire exchange, those on the path to redemption can often be.. unpredictable as they stumble over their own obstacles, but that does not mark them demons. I can imagine Feinschmecker here would echo my declaration as well."

JBarca
2016-10-24, 10:04 PM
"Your oath binds him since he is under your power, right? If so, I'll consider myself satisfied once you swear before the Airlord."

antoin
2016-10-24, 10:06 PM
Feinschmecker nods approvingly. "Eloquently spoken."

glitterbaby
2016-10-24, 11:33 PM
Under my authority, yes. In the unlikely event he ceased his pursuit of redemption, of course he wouldn't be under my control. It would be my responsibility to reign such a creature in such a case.

To make a long answer short: yes, but with a slight nuance."

JBarca
2016-10-25, 10:36 AM
"I suppose that's the best I can ask for. I'm going to wait for the City with my companions."

With that, he walks off toward the other "normal" soldiers.

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 05:57 PM
Halfir approaches the group, addressing them before he fully reaches their midst.

"Krothgun of the Djinn-Blessed, leader of this troupe, perhaps you can offer insight."

Halfir finishes approaching.

"You mentioned Herhalium lay to the east when we spoke not an hour back. In our haste, my companion and I attempted to approach using our magicks but the city was gone upon arrival. Does the city have some sort of defense against such an approach? If so, how might we reach our destination?"

Diplomacy (new dood so new "roll"?): 28 (if I don't have a roller, probably a fair assumption I'm taking 11, correct?)

JBarca
2016-10-25, 06:07 PM
As the Dwarf turns to glare at you, dozens of monstrous abominations begin moving toward you, hate in their eyes. As the sane members of the group try to hold them back, the broken ones growl and gurgle, but make no move to hurt their (former?) comrades. Halfir seems to be their only target.

Krothgun levels his glare at you, hard as iron. "I am certain I said I had no more to say to you and yours, especially given what that beast of yours did to mine man. I care not what bargains were struck. Begone with you and leave us in peace!."

He joins his soldiers in holding back the dead.

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 06:19 PM
"Do not speak and act so blindly, friend, peace is not yours to be had. Look at your troupe! Lest my eyes and ears have been rendered false, I find the beasts under your command! Relinquish them to their nature such that I may place them again on leash."

JBarca
2016-10-25, 06:24 PM
Krothgun shakes his head, the speaks haltingly as he struggles against a growing mass of the walking dead.

"Unless mine eyes deceive me, you're an angel. You name yourself... Halfir, so unless my mind also deceives me, you... are no one we want as a foe. I would rather mine men, no matter their state, not be... butchered here today. Leave while we can still... hold them."

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 06:45 PM
"Don't be a fool Krothgun of the Djinn-blessed! Your "men" are no more than mindless beasts, unresponsive even to the lash of their master! Either allow me to leash them or give me the information I need to speak with your masters. You must know by now your resurrection was no Miracle. I have seen, even performed, great Miracles and this is not one. A great curse plagues this land and you must now play your part in ending it."

JBarca
2016-10-25, 06:52 PM
"Mine men will... be fine when the Airlord arrives. He will... remedy this, I am certain. He's invested far too much in us to allow this curse to destroy the... Djinn-Blessed. And I will not allow these soldiers to be 'leashed!'

Airlord Bhehesslhin and the City should... be here within the week. Our mission is due to expire on the morrow, so he'll... begin his search for us then."

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 06:57 PM
"And how many of your number do you expect to hold on to their sanity by then, Krothgun? I've seen this happen with my own men. You control your faculties now but the burden of time is too great for many of you to bear. You will fade; you know this. You apparently know me and can wager a guess at my motivations. I am not trying to rob you of power and station... I'm trying to help you. Now please, how might I speak with Bhehesslhin today?"

JBarca
2016-10-25, 07:01 PM
"I don't know! If I did, do you not think I would have contacted... him myself?"

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 07:15 PM
"I see you, Krothgun; I know you. You are a proud creature with great reason to be. I need to know what you're hesitant to reveal. You are fading; if you don't yet feel it, you know it. Play your part in this, Krothgun. The safety of your nation, maybe even the whole plane, hinges on you. Tell me what you are not."

JBarca
2016-10-25, 07:22 PM
"I have a way to bring myself and mine men to the City. I was told to only use it in dire dangers... though. I don't want to upset the Airlord by using... it if not necessary... and especially by bringing outsiders to him... without warning. The City is sacred. It is his domain. And it might bring along these... men too, which could prove disastrous."

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 07:40 PM
"Then allow me to arrive, weapon sheathed, as a simple ambassador. I'm unable to alter my form to one less... ostentatious yet I can't imagine concealing my true form would be anything but an insult to all parties. He claims dominion over his city and these lands, let my approach initially be one of establishing legal authority by a legitimate governing body. I am Halfir: leader of the Church of Heironeous, my recognition goes a long way in international politics. What better option do we have, Krothgun?"

antoin
2016-10-25, 07:53 PM
A long overdue Spellcraft on why they're acting so...ew: [roll0]

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 07:54 PM
Oof. TFW you have to be reminded by Antoin to use the ability you should have started with...

Spellcraft: 36

JBarca
2016-10-25, 10:12 PM
"Wait a ways that way so we can continue this discussion in peace."

Assuming you do so - once you're a good (100ft ish) distance away, the rage zombies give up and return to milling about.

Krothgun joins you shortly, now no longer required to keep his former companions in line.

"If I bring us there, we will arrive in the City Center. None are allowed into the city without being examined by the Gateguards, the two Pets of the Airlord. If I ignore that law, I could be tried for treason. I am not sure why you assume this is a matter of your weapons or appearance. It's a matter of bringing outsiders into a closed City without permission.

I know not what other options we have, but this one sits ill with me."

So far as you're aware, there are no ongoing magical effects on the milling Undead.

glitterbaby
2016-10-25, 11:05 PM
"We can't wait around for a week while this curse plagues our land. I can give you my word I shall speak for you with your Lord. These are extenuating circumstances and I can't imagine a ruler wouldn't grant one of his commanders the ability to make a judgement call when he needs to."

JBarca
2016-10-26, 10:03 AM
The Dwarf shakes his head slowly.
"Aye, but I could lose mine livelihood, or mine life, if this falls through. I fear you are vastly overestimating the Airlord's mercy and willingness to accept outsiders' opinions."

glitterbaby
2016-10-26, 01:46 PM
"I believe he'll make an exception in this case. In any event, I can offer you personal protection under my wing. I certainly understand love for one's home but if it comes down to it, you and whatever family you have can feel safe with me."

antoin
2016-10-26, 01:52 PM
"I think it might be most prudent to wait until the City comes for them. Rules are rules, after all, and keep in mind we have not met this Airlord before. While gracious to his friends, sometimes a closed society such as this City can only exist as it does with an admittedly unhealthy amount of xenophobia. (Looking at Krothgun) I would not want your station, livelihood, or life threatened by our research. While the spread of Undead is a serious issue, Halfir, I think this Airlord is but one piece of the puzzle. He will be most amenable to our help if we arrive on the best possible terms. There are several avenues we can explore in addition to this, and our quest for other answers can come before talking to him. Krothgun, what warning do you have of the City's arrival? We would come with you when it comes to pick you up. If restraining your men is necessary, I am sure Halfir and I can help you in the (looking pointedly at Halfir) most peaceable way possible. No harm will come to them under our charge, I can promise you."

"Sorry again for my methods, but here is the information I got. It's...a mouthful? Head-ful? It's that elf's perspective on things."

"Well, the city is made of air entirely. It sails about on clouds and in mist. The walls and streets, the roofs, everything is made of compressed air. It's surrounded by a swirling dome of a similar gas. I frankly have no idea how it all works, but I'm almost sure it has something to do with Airlord Bhehesslhin. He's the Genie who rules the city and controls where it goes. It typically stays in the Kathara, but sometimes, when the Airlord is feeling particularly flighty, it will move vertically. It sails so high that the clouds in the sky mix with the clouds that make up the city's base. It will go so high that you can't even see the ground anymore. You can see nothing but air and the occasional cloud. It's amazing, and terrifying.

The city is constantly surrounded by the worst sandstorm you've ever seen. Miles across, with winds whipping the sand around like it's trying to hurt you. Take special dispensation from the Airlord to make it through unscathed. It's good that we have that, or I'd never reach the air tunnel. I've seen the storm close to the city shred a man down to bone in seconds. Horrifying, honestly, but brutally effective.

Anyway, the city isn't huge, but it's big enough to warrant a Genie lord. The streets are never perfectly straight, the walls are all bowed. It's made of wind, after all. Some of the building are four or five stories tall. It's beautiful the way they manage to color the air itself.

The best bar is the Crooked Flightpath. Cheap vodka, great wenches, and the best singer this side of Arkionak [Huge metropolis far to the east. Famous continent-wide for it size and magic-based culture/architecture]. Plus it's got the Lifted Skirts right across the way. The whores there are better'n any you'll find elsewhere. Down the main avenue, you can find a multitude of inns and taverns - the Blasted Brick, the Winged Waypoint, the Breezy Bunk, the Breath of Evening, and the Bird's Eerie. The Bunk's cheap, but the Eerie is more comfortable. The Waypoint is owned by some old Wizard, but he spends most of his time in the Palace. He's an advisor and probably bodyguard to Bhehesslhin.

Seleyila is an incredible duelist. She runs a prestigious fencing academy off some backroad, about a block off the main avenue. She's rumored to be Bhehesslhin's daughter, but no one would say that out loud of either of them. Beautiful lass, if a bit skinny. Deadly with that blade of hers. I'd wager it's enchanted, but who knows. She could be just that good.

There's a small enclave of Dwarves in the city. They claim to hate it, but they have carved out a respectable living as the city's earth experts. Gems, stone, earth, metal - they import and trade in the wares better than anyone else, and also run a bit of a consultation service. They're headed by Krothgun's uncle, actually. Barthgam. He's got a diamond bigger than my fist that he likes to show off. Word is that he plans to give it to Bhehesslhin as a gift before too long, possibly during a holiday or for the Airlord's birthday.

The population is pretty mixed. Genies are fairly common, though, which is interesting. You can walk down the cloud paths and find street magicians capable of literally creating food or drink, fancy illusions, and the like. Many business owners do business as a pastime - they definitely don't need the gold. The city is guarded by two nasty looking monsters. Not sure what they are, but they're entirely peaceful so long as you're a friend of Bhehesslhin's. They stand at the only entrance to the city, which is a small opening in the solid air dome surrounding the place. The opening is connected to a tunnel, maybe 50 feet long, also made of that solid air. So anyone approaching has to walk for a long distance down a narrow tunnel, well within the line of sight of two monsters. Chilling. Incredibly easy to defend, too, but I don't think anyone has ever tried to assault the place, except for the odd Demon every now and again. It's only been around for about fifty years, though, so maybe someone'll come after us.

Herhalium*has no formal military, though. Not even a police force. Regardless, no one disrupts Bhehesslhin's law out of fear of him and his three pets. The two guards are frightening enough, but his third pet is a Dragon. A Dragon! It dwells beneath his palace, they say. I'd like to see it, but I value my life too much.

But that's where we come in. Well, with the laws and military, not the Dragon, of course. We are the Djinn-Blessed, a group of mercenaries hired by the Airlord himself to serve the city. We were created when the city was founded, though I wasn't there personally of course. Krothgun was, and a few of the other elders.

We're led by a Janni named Estefane. She's a mage of some sort, but I don't know the specifics. She rarely is in the field anymore. Krothgun is the usual field commander for longer missions - he has a talent for logistics, I'm told. For faster, strike-and-fade style of missions, Reeve leads us. He's an Elf - a distant relation of mine, in fact. He's an archer by trade, but he is also a brilliant tactician.

Our mission is simple; we do what the Airlord commands. He fills our coffers, we fight for him. This almost always means we fight leftover Demons patrolling the desert. Sometimes we fight roaming tribes, too. Rumor is that he wants to claim the whole desert as his own domain. But anytime a group gets too strong or organized, we show up and destroy them. We're incredibly effective and motivated, since he pays so well. I'm given six gold coins a day. Each warrior is given the same. Mages are given nine, and priests eleven. Officers get fourteen, Korthgun and Reeve make more than that."

In case it matters: Diplomacy [roll0]

glitterbaby
2016-10-26, 02:57 PM
"That is simply not an option, Feinschmecker. It would certainly be a preferred route were it possible but we cannot allow ourselves to be blinded by the best theoretical choice when such options are not levied unto us. In this instance, we cannot wait an entire week. The Undead threat is too menacing. There are far too many souls not being allowed to move on to their afterlives. Krothgun, you should have perished. You should be sitting at Moradin's side right now and I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me that doesn't seem more appealing to you than existing in your body, worrying about your current worries. No, there is too much at stake to allow our fears of this Airlord or of not making the best decisions. A decision must be made and we haven't any choice other than the one immediately before us."

JBarca
2016-10-26, 06:46 PM
Krothgun is already shaking his head before you finish.

"You know not of what you speak. You say you can hold off the wrath of Airlord Bhehesslhin, I name you overconfident. His power is nearly ultimate within his demesne. His authority is beyond question. You're asking me to wager everything on the word of one who associates himself with some fiend that cares not for the sanctity of the mind. I hope you see why this is not a decision I can make lightly.

glitterbaby
2016-10-27, 01:18 AM
At the word "overconfident," Halfir can't help but smirk.

"Oh, Krothgun, how naive you are. I am Halfir. I am the Indomitable. I, who have faced demons without name or number in battles none remember but which the planes themselves quake in recollection thereof... I fear no Airlord, I fear no pet of any Airlord, and you should fear no Evil so long as I pledge you my protection. Now is not the time for cowardice. Feinschmecker and I will gladly submit to... inspection... upon arrival and we are entirely interested in a diplomatic approach. We seek no trouble, Krothgun, we seek answers."

JBarca
2016-10-27, 07:52 PM
"You may not fear him, but I do. And he is not Evil, so I know not what you are trying to say. I might would be wary of insulting him in his own lands."

He is clearly wracked with indecision.

antoin
2016-10-27, 11:44 PM
"We have no reason to fear any Evil out of him. Tell me more about just exactly what this 'desperate measure' is."

JBarca
2016-10-27, 11:51 PM
"I can call his name and upon his power while throwing sand into a cloud. Myself and any others within the cloud are pulled directly to his city."

antoin
2016-10-28, 12:00 AM
"You say you can only use this in the most dire of circumstances. Look at your men, Krothgun. You have to hold them back like mindless zombies. They are not mindless, but trapped in these horrid forms. While I was initially reluctant, it's apparent to me that since we are here to aid you and by extension, the Airlord with this unsettling matter of Undeath, this certainly merits our immediate arrival to his City. We need as many resources possible to either aid us or receive our aid to resolve this matter. I find it inconceivable the Airlord is unconcerned with his men turning into...well...(Feinschmecker gestures at the mass of forms shambling about)..."

JBarca
2016-10-28, 10:54 AM
"You may... be right. What if they wander off while we're away, though? They could cause damages, or find themselves attacked by others. They must remain healthy so they can be repaired."

antoin
2016-10-28, 09:02 PM
"Leave one of your men in charge. They won't cause any harm by themselves. At any rate, given their state, I'm sure the City will be by to pick one of them up shortly. Krothgun, take one or two of your afflicted men as an example of what has happened and the four of us will travel to the City. Halfir or I will help you keep them peaceably restrained. Time is wasting, Krothgun. Let's go."

JBarca
2016-10-29, 12:23 PM
The Dwarf nods reluctantly.

He walks back to his men and gestures to Velit (The formerly enslaves Half-Elf) and Darmuthg. After a brief conversation, Darmuthg and Krothgun quickly subdue a creature that was previously Human and Velit ties him up.

Krothgun and Velit drag the Undead toward you, and it grows more restless and angry as it is pulled closer. Darmuthg has clearly been left in charge.

The Dwarf gestures to you, indicating you should all stand near him. He then reaches into his clothes and pulls out a fistful of pocket sand.

"Airlord Bhehesslhin, I call upon your name. I humbly request that you pull me and mine to you to save us from our afflictions. Airlord Bhehesslhin, I name you twice. Bhehesslhin of Herhalium, I name you a third time and follow the new connection to you."

As he intones the last sentence, he tosses the sand into the air. It begins falling immediately, but soon swirls around you as though caught in a whirlwind. You are soon blinded by the sand as the cloud grows in size for a moment. When it finally falls, you are no longer surrounded by dunes in a dark desert.

Instead, you stand in courtyard over a mile wide, lit brightly by ambient light. Small shops and carts that have gliding wings and skids instead of wheels line the edges and lanes down the center, and a press of thousands of individuals surrounds you. The ground beneath your feet is grey, thin, and wispy like a cloud, but solid enough to support your weight. The air here is fresh and constantly moving. The stiff breeze never stops, but the temperature is warm enough to make the breeze welcome rather than uncomfortable. You can smell spices, both exotic and mundane, caught int he breeze, along with a faint trace of smoke.

The press of creatures is mostly on foot, though a good number fly overhead. There are a fair amount, too, who are traveling through the air without wings or magical aid. They simply allow themselves to "fall" away from the ground, then twist and fall in another direction, before finally falling to the ground again. Despite the crowd, no one seems to be stuck or struggling to move. People flows past each other and through the crowds without a second's hesitation. There are Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, and other denizens of the Primes here, mixed with Jann, Djinn, Mephits, Arrowhawks, Air Elementals, and more. They wear robes indicating wealth, priesthood, or political power. They wear armor and have weapons at their hips. They wear nothing. The crowd is such a variety of people that no patterns can really be seen.

The buildings around you are odd. Some seem to be entirely normal, if expensive, with straight, sturdy wooden walls and slanted roofs. Others have walls that look more like very thick smoke. They billow and wisp out, and move int he wind, but stay roughly in the same area. Still others are completely invisible and only obvious when you notice frames for pictures hanging from them, or doors set into them, or people leaning on them. The structures tend to be tall and narrow, with plenty of wide open spaces between them, allowing the winds to travel unimpeded. Not a single structure seems to be made out of stone or brick.

A few hundred feet above you are clouds. Clouds all around, forming a rough dome shape over the city. The clouds move, sliding over this dome and continuing off into space. When the lanes line up and you can see the edges of the city, you notice the same thing - clouds. You are apparently high in the sky, with nothing around but the city and empty space.

In the distance over other buildings, you see a series of tall towers that dwarf everything else in the city. They reach nearly the highest point in the dome, with one parapet punching through to the sky beyond. Their domed tops are golden, their walls a silvery sheen.

When you appear, a few of the nearer creatures look at you in surprise, but most are either unaware or uncaring. Krothgun immediately moves to check the ropes binding his companion, and Velit places his hand on the hilt of his blade, watching the crowd. The few that seemed interested before quickly move on.

Welcome to Herhalium.

What do you do?

glitterbaby
2016-10-29, 01:08 PM
"At your lead, then, Krothgun. We are meant for some inspection? The sooner we can be done with that, the sooner we might speak with Bhehesslihn and the sooner we might see progress made."

JBarca
2016-10-29, 06:26 PM
"The only relevant estimation of your worth is the Airlord's. I will warn you that he will more than likely wish to speak to me alone. He does not favor intruders."

With that, the Dwarf and Velit lift the struggling being between them and begin walking toward the towers.

As you walk, you feel as light as the wind itself. Though you can both fly, you feel airy, as though you could drift away at any moment. Krothgun and Velit struggle less with their load here than they did in the desert, though Krothgun does not seem comforted by this fact. Your group is among the slowest moving procession in the marketplace, but you cause no congestion. People flow around you easily. In fact, even Krothgun's stocky frame is able to slip into narrow gaps with ease.

There is a constant Freedom of Movement effect on you and presumably everyone else.

As you near the towers, they only seem to grow taller. Within a few minutes, you see the structure to which they are attached. It is massive, tall, and covered in domes of silver, gold, and platinum. The walls are billowy in some places, sturdy in others. By far the tallest, widest, and heaviest looking building here.

More or less like the big structure in the background here, but shinier and bigger.
http://i.imgur.com/5ibB9O0.jpg

When you are within 100 feet of the front gates, fifteen Jann step forth from the crowd. Ten wear chain armor, five wear robes. All have curved swords at their hips. A single Elf stands a behind the loose half-circle around you, holding a beautifully carved bow in one hand. He wears a pin that matches the ones worn by the Djinn-Blessed. One of the Jann, a woman with robes, holds a staff in her hand, which she stamps on the ground in front of you. She speaks with authority despite her light and breathy voice.

"Krothgun. Explain before I name you ensorceled and take appropriate actions."

"Madame, I am not ensorceled, but it would not do to speak of these matters in public. These two have urgent business with our lord and I brought them here of mine own volition. They would speak with him." Krothgun is respectful, almost obescient, as he bows slightly before her. Velit adopts a bewildered expression, looking with confusion at the woman.

"I cannot allow these men into the chambers of the Airlord, and you know that. You have made a grave mistake bringing them here, Dwarf. Krothgun, formerly of Lapiz, I place you under arrest for the crime of abuse of power and threat to the security of the city. With me, now."

Gently setting his companion down, Krothgun glares forward and walks to join the woman, stiff-backed.

"You outsiders will leave. My men will escort you."

Four of Jann in armor and two in robes close a slightly tighter circle around you, though they do not approach within fifteen feet. One gestures back the way from whence you came, and wait for you to move.

glitterbaby
2016-10-30, 12:21 AM
Halfir takes closes his eyes and takes a deep breath before composing himself.

"I shall not remain silent while injustices are being carried out. Look upon my form and tell me that this city is in any way endangered. I am Halfir. If you do not know my name, know that I am a being composed of pure Law and Goodness. We pose no danger to the security to any city. Drop your fabricated charges.

Our business is important and with your Airlord. We must speak with him. The circumstances are too dire for blind adherence to such insular practices.

See me and know that I am no threat to the security of your city. Understand the weight of my words: I must speak with your Airlord."

Diplomacy 28

antoin
2016-10-30, 12:33 AM
"We are here as ambassadors of sorts to aid the Airlord with a matter that threatens the security of his lands. As Krothgun informed us, these are the Airlord's domains, and while we arrive as outsiders, we wish nothing more than to assist him and to gather and provide information about the crippling threat that looms over his lands. Look no further than the soldier in front of you (gesturing to Zombie Dood). There are many, many more like him. We would meet with the Airlord at his earliest convenience. While I have no doubt he is incredibly busy, it would be exceedingly prudent of you to allow us to meet him at his earliest convenience. If there is a law barring outsiders from seeing him, then how do any of you see him (Get it? Jann are Outsiders!) we would be happy to gain citizenship first, if you or other bureaucratic powers would so will it. At any rate, you would be making a grave mistake to shun us. We bring power and information - and if he is so interested, I'm sure some trade agreements could be made in his favor, although I'll admit this City seems far from poor."
mindsight info plz

JBarca
2016-10-30, 07:40 PM
The Janni scoffs.

"'Fabricated' charges? 'Insular practices?' You insult us directly while entirely in our power? You are a fool, Halfir. Our laws exist and they will be followed. Leave this city.

"You,-" Speaking to Feinschmecker here. "-whoever you are: we do not extend citizenship to those not born or married in the city. You can obtain guest rights easily enough, but said rights are usually only extended to those who follow our laws, which you have not. Were I you, I'd leave now and attempt to enter by more legal and standard means. This gives the Gateguards a chance to vet you before allowing entry."

For record keeping - one of the five robed Jann is detecting as Evil

Of the 15 - All are Outsiders. Int ranges from 10 to 20. Spokeswoman has 16. The Elf is a Humanoid with 29 Intelligence.

antoin
2016-10-30, 09:47 PM
Feinschmecker smiles graciously.
"What is the fastest way to leave and return to the city? I would obtain these guest rights as soon as possible, for our matter is still quite urgent. What does the vetting process consist of? I hope it is something that could be taken care of within hours, if not minutes. I apologize for our hastiness in entering your city without going through the official process. This was the fastest way we knew of to reach the city. I hope you understand our motivations and can aid us in our quest."

JBarca
2016-10-30, 10:17 PM
"My men will guide you to the gate. There, you will exit the city, then attempt to enter. The Airlord's Gateguards will judge you then."

glitterbaby
2016-10-30, 10:27 PM
Halfir exhales deeply again, trying his very best to remain composed in spite of the incompetence before him.

"Yes, fabricated charges and, you must admit, insular practices. Do not be offended so, there is nothing inherently incorrect with the latter. Blind adherence to anything, though, certainly lands one in a mess of trouble. In this particular case, we needed to speak with your Airlord and could not wait around to do so by mundane means. Krothgun, here understood the gravity of the situation and acted accordingly; the man should be commended if anything.

At any end, we will gladly submit to any further inspections before moving about your city or speaking with your Airlord but it is imperative we do so promptly."

antoin
2016-10-30, 11:30 PM
"Let's be on our way, then. Forgive my companion's tongue - many find his manner of speech rather harsh. I assure you, he has nothing but respect for this City and its laws."

JBarca
2016-10-31, 05:43 PM
The six individuals chosen to escort you begin moving, making sure that you follow. Krothgun is led toward the palace. Velit and a Janni grab the Zombie and pull him in another direction.

The Evil guy is not among your escorts.

You wind your way back through the city, and your guards begin to float as they move, keeping within a few feet of the ground. All around you, others begin to leave the ground. You choose to fly as well; it seems to be the proper way to travel. An instant after you do, there is a minor jolt the city shudders briefly. Those who were walking before drop to the ground and continue with their business. Following the shudder, the clouds around the city's dome disappear. In their place you catch a glimpse of blue skies above before a thick, reddish-brown shell encases the city. It grows darker briefly before white-yellow orbs of light ignite on every street corner.

The shell is not solid, but is instead a shifting mass of sand, surrounding the city on all sides, blowing about in a great storm. You also notice that people no longer weave through the crowds as easily. There is bumping, jostling, and crowding, much more like you'd expect in a cit of this size. The Jann with you slow and take an alternate route out of the plaza to avoid the worst of the mob, though your progress is still slow. In several places, you see various Humanoids wearing armor with the silver pin on their chest. Most stand in small groups and watch the crowd, though some are busy shopping for goods or "services."

Roughly an hour later after reaching the plaza with your group, you reach the edge of the dome. Three Jann and a Human stand here, wearing gilded plate armor and wielding halberds. They look at your escort in mild confusion, then go about their business.

One of the robed figures with you speaks.

"You'll exit here and walk to the end of the tunnel. If you wish to return, I would strongly suggest you not step out of the tunnel's mouth, though. When you return, the Gateguards will examine you and judge your fate. Good luck."

The escorts stand aside.

The "gate" is, in fact, merely a curtain of gale-force winds demarcated by yellow flags blowing in the breeze. When you walk through, you are scrubbed clean by the winds. You are in a small spherical room, surrounded on all sides by the edge of the city's dome, like a bubble attached to a much larger bubble. The room is empty but for another set of flags marking another gate.

Stepping through this outer gate, you find yourselves in a "tunnel" of wind. You walk on what seems to be hard wind, a path that is barely 10 feet wide. You can feel the wind blowing beneath your feet, but it supports you fully. All around you, sand blows, creating a long cylinder of swirling dust. The inside, where you walk, is completely clean.

The tunnel is over 100ft long. You know you've reached the end by the wall of sand blowing past your faces. It moves at incredible speeds, as though caught in a tornado.

You turn around and retrace your steps as you were encouraged to do. As you walk through the first gate again, you feel the cleansing power of the winds again, but there is more to it this time.

GLA disappears. Nothing else seems to be affected. Your Spellcraft reveals that you just walked through a Greater Otiluke's Dispelling Screen.

Nothing happens to you, but your Spellcraft reveals that you just walked through a Greater Otiluke's Dispelling Screen.

Halfir stops glowing as you stand in the small room again. This time, though, there are two new creatures. They are roughly humanoid in shape, but have dark red flesh and stand almost 15 feet tall. Their heads are adorned with small, hooked horns and you see what looks like literal flames behind their eyes. Each has a thin golden chain attached to the small of his back. The chain fades out of sight after a few feet.

You both recognize the creatures as Efreet, but they are something more. Far more. They radiate strength and exemplify the traits of other Efreet.

Things you know about Efreet -

Lawful Evil Outsiders native to the Elemental Plane of Fire
Said to be made of basalt, bronze, and congealed flames
Hate serving others and are typically each major political figures
Said to be nearly as clever as Devils
Have a number of fire-themed SLAs
Have the ability to grant wishes to non-Outsiders
Talented shapeshifters

They are also both Monsters of Legend. You know the following about said template -

Grants tougher flesh
Incredibly rare, basically the epitome of certain creatures. The stuff of myths.
Most other details are hard to come by - every Monster of Legend manifests a different set of abilities, from a natural poison to stronger attacks, from a breath weapon to a permanent Haste effect.

Both stare at the pair of you as your enter, gaze unwavering. They wait a moment, then speak as one. Their voices are rich, bassy, and seem to echo despite being in a room whose walls are just air. You can feel the heat from their breath

"Why have you come here, Halfir, called 'The Indomitable' and stranger, unknown to this city? State your intentions and be judged by we Gateguards who are in the service of the Great Bhehesslihn, King of Kathara, Shah of the Ninth Wind, and Airlord of the Traveling City of Herhalium*."

You both know that the "Ninth Wind" is region on the Elemental Plane of Air. It's likely very small and has its name due only to proximity to the "First Wind," the region that is both the largest and home to the most sentient creatures. Claiming lordship over a "Wind" can be done very easily, though. You don't know anything about the Ninth Wind in particular.

glitterbaby
2016-10-31, 09:53 PM
Halfir takes yet another moment to conceal his absolute disgust having to pass inspection by beings potentially so Evil. Simply existing, though is no crime and if these two are doing no wrong and it would impede progress with his quest, it would be imprudent to levy his Divine Wrath so wantonly. No, it would be wise to use his Divine words on a different occasion.

"I am named accurately, oh you of Highest Flame. I am servant to the Invincible, his steward on this plane. I lead the mortals who follow him in this life. My companion and I have noticed a great curse about the plane. The dead do not remain so. We would have words with the Great Bhehesslhin so we might inform him of this potential plague in his lands and to request his aid. Our quest is of paramount importance. In exchange, I can offer the Airlord of this city my voice. Few beyond the Kathara know of him and his city. My voice, as head of the church of Heironeous, would go great distances in establishing legitimate recognition by foreign powers of his rulership here in the Kathara. While his dominion in this area may be uncontested, great benefit can be had through official recognition by foreign powers via trade agreements and the like. I would request guest rights as ambassador to the city from the church of Heironeous."

antoin
2016-10-31, 10:00 PM
Bowing, Feinschmecker adds, "Halfir has spoken accurately about our mission. I would only add a request that as the curse grows with every passing hour, our passage and audience could be delayed as little as possible."
Diplom 54

JBarca
2016-10-31, 10:11 PM
Several seconds of silence pass before to two speak again, as one. They ask one question after another, pausing only to give you each time to respond before immediately asking the next.

"Ambassadors of a god of war. Such an envoy would seem to be less than peaceful. Do you in any way intend the city or its inhabitants harm?

Do you intend to war against the Airlord?

Do you intend any hostility toward the Airlord, direct or indirect?

Why do you wish the Airlord's aid, specifically?"

They do not ask the new question unless you each respond, but accept things like "What he said" and the like. You can each asnwer them all at once if you want, though, to save time.

Also, you each are aware that the way you present your thoughts seems to have literally no effect on these guys. They respond automatically and with no real emotion or inflection. Like they're following a script.

Second Round - Two auras in the area, strongest is Overwhelming.

antoin
2016-10-31, 10:17 PM
"No, we do not intend the city or its inhabitants any harm - quite the opposite."
"Absolutely not."
"Of course not."
"We wish the Airlord's aid as a being of great power. This curse that Halfir spoke of is extremely powerful in nature. We would combat this curse and benefit the Airlord and his domain, and his aid would help us combat this curse."

glitterbaby
2016-10-31, 10:36 PM
"Heironeous is a god of just war. I fully intend peaceable relations and I mean no inhabitants of the city harm. I've heard tell of a duelist of great renown and would relish the opportunity to test my steel against her's but in no way would I impart legitimate harm to any member of this city. A simple spar would be all I would take-part in were it allowed by the Airlord and his Gateguards. I would certainly request to maintain the ability to defend myself but would never think of inflicting harm were it unprovoked.

I do not intend to war against the Airlord.

I do not intend any hostility against the Airlord, direct or indirect.

The Airlord is great and powerful. This plague is a great threat and I would seek the aid of those capable in combating it."

JBarca
2016-11-01, 05:04 PM
"As you are both capable of magic, you will be asked to swear oaths in addition to those normally sworn by newcomers.

You will each swear the following or depart, never to return. Your words will be taken as binding. Failure to uphold your oaths will result in immediate expulsion from the city.

Swear you will not, through action or inaction, through awareness or ignorance, cause any direct or indirect harm, physical, mental, spiritual, or economic, to the Airlord.

Swear you will not, through action or inaction, through awareness or ignorance, cause any direct or indirect harm to the city of Herhalium, both the city physically and its population.

Swear you will not seek out loopholes to play the former two oaths against each other and that you will, if required, leave the city rather than compromise either of those.

Swear you will never, under any circumstance, relate any information you gain of this city to others, through any medium, including but not limited to: spoken word, telepathic communication through words, symbols, emotions, or images, written word, painted, drawn, or carved images, magic of any sort.

Swear you will cast no offensive magic within the boundaries of the city unless directly provoked by another."

The two shift position a bit, and their faces take on a less strict expression.

"Swear you will in no seek to subvert the laws or customs of the city.

Swear that you will each pay for your entry with one favor owed to us."

When the "shift" a bit before the last two questions, you believe that they are no longer merely speaking from a script as they had been. They're creating their own oaths, though you do not know why, or if they're supposed to or not.

glitterbaby
2016-11-01, 11:13 PM
"I, Halfir the Indomitable, so swear that I will not, unprovoked, commit any acts to cause harm, directly or indirectly, to the Airlord in any or to his citizens. On my honor, I shall not seek out loopholes in my Oath nor will I transmit my discovery and knowledge of this place to any outside of this city should the Airlord not wish it. As a being composed of pure Law and Goodness, I so swear I shall not use my magicks in an offensive manner unless directly provoked.

I will not seek to subvert the laws or customs of this city. I shall grant no being of Evil favor. Rather, I claim exemption. On grounds of tradition, I claim exemption to any entry fees as ambassador of the Church of Heironeous."

JBarca
2016-11-02, 06:11 PM
"As you fail to swear to several of the necessary oaths, you will not be allowed entry into the city."

They seem slightly pleased. Smug, even.

Then turn their attention to Feinschmecker.

antoin
2016-11-02, 08:42 PM
Feinschmecker looks askance at them before resuming a neutral expression and swearing to all but the last of them:
"I swear to not cause harm to the Airlord, to not cause harm to the City, to not use the first two oaths against each other, to refrain from speaking of the City to others, to cast no offensive magic in the City unless provoked, and to refrain from subverting the laws and customs of the City. I would first ask what the favor is before I decide whether or not to swear to that."

JBarca
2016-11-02, 08:52 PM
Back to emotionless speech. "Your oaths, like your companion's, are not explicit enough. The necessary oaths will be repeated.

"You will swear the following or depart, never to return. Your words will be taken as binding. Failure to uphold your oaths will result in immediate expulsion from the city.

Swear you will not, through action or inaction, through awareness or ignorance, cause any direct or indirect harm, physical, mental, spiritual, or economic, to the Airlord.

Swear you will not, through action or inaction, through awareness or ignorance, cause any direct or indirect harm to the city of Herhalium, both the city physically and its population.

Swear you will not seek out loopholes to play the former two oaths against each other and that you will, if required, leave the city rather than compromise either of those.

Swear you will never, under any circumstance, relate any information you gain of this city to others, through any medium, including but not limited to: spoken word, telepathic communication through words, symbols, emotions, or images, written word, painted, drawn, or carved images, magic of any sort.

Swear you will cast no offensive magic within the boundaries of the city unless directly provoked by another."

Again, they seem to come out of a trance or train of thought to speak the last two requirements.

"Swear you will in no seek to subvert the laws or customs of the city.

Swear that you will pay for your entry with one favor owed to us. Said favor will be explained when it is required. We don't know what we will require as of yet."

Same thing as last time - the last two were definitely not "on script."

Also, they were totally lying about not knowing the favor ahead of time.

The two then return to staring straight ahead, emotionless, patient.

antoin
2016-11-02, 09:11 PM
Feinschmecker swears each except the last according to the wording they gave.
"I have a counteroffer. Instead of one unknown favor to the both of you, I would owe each of you a favor - but I must be informed of them and allowed to decide before making my oath."
MINDSPEAK TO BOTH"If you'd rather not say what favors you desire in front of my companion, I understand. Either way, let's be gentlemen and be honest with each other?"

JBarca
2016-11-02, 09:25 PM
They each dart a quick glance Feinschmecker's way after he finishes, clearly a bit annoyed.

This is mindspeak, but not italicized because that's way too much formatting.

"One favor would be that you tell us, in detail and with no lies or omissions, who you are, why you are working with a literal celestial, and what power, both personal and through connections, you have at your disposal. Our second favor would come at a later date once we've had a chance to contemplate this information. It would, though, almost assuredly be to have you free us from this bondage."

They are not lying to you, as far as you can tell with your Sense Motive.

glitterbaby
2016-11-02, 10:47 PM
Halfir smirks.

"Too often are the forces of Good forced to bargain with creatures beyond their ability. Great tempters are the forces of Evil and they delight in proving their might against creatures lesser than themselves."

Halfir then, rather mechanically lists off perfectly Feinschmecker's oath of conduct within the city.

"I swear to not cause harm to the Airlord, to not cause harm to the City, to not use the first two oaths against each other, to refrain from speaking of the City to others, to cast no offensive magic in the City unless provoked, and to refrain from subverting the laws and customs of the City."

His smile grows as he finishes speaking. His voice deepens and grows louder. Halfir, himself, seems to grow beyond even his already impressive stature. He pauses a moment and when he speaks again, he is nearly yelling.

"Too often are the forces of Good forced to bargain. Too often do the forces of Evil hold the position of power. That is not the case today! I shall grant you no favor. I shall pay you nothing! I plant myself as a tree beside the river of Truth and I say to you, MOVE!"

Halfir then draws forward his Tongue, brandishing it with all his Divine Glory.

Intimidate: [roll0]
Alter Fortune if less than 10: [roll1]

JBarca
2016-11-02, 11:19 PM
The two Genies open their mouths to respond, eyebrows quirked in amusement before you reach your crescendo, then close their mouths, eyes widening slightly as you draw your blade.

A moment passes in silence. They (seemingly begrudgingly) adopt their stoic expressions and speak. You notice the echo in the room is slightly weaker than before.

"You may enter. Enjoy your stay and recall your oaths, lest the city evict you."

The stoicism turns to anger briefly. "Know that you have gained entry through threat of violence, Halfir. Neither we nor the Airlord are pleased with this, and we eagerly await his permission to destroy you."

Mind. "A new offer. We will each grant you a Wish if you free us, and we will grant one additional Wish in return for the information we discussed. Return to us if you decide to accept."

antoin
2016-11-02, 11:37 PM
Feinschmecker says with a faint smirk, "Enjoy your stay as well."
"Now that's a better offer. I expect I shall return as soon as our current business is done. I trust you will do absolutely nothing to threaten us in any way, unless you want your 'stay' to last longer than expected."

glitterbaby
2016-11-02, 11:54 PM
Halfir flourishes his blade before sheathing, a proud look on his face.

"I threaten violence to none but those who deserve it."

He then turns his back to his felled opponents and walks off into the city.

antoin
2016-11-03, 12:27 AM
Feinschmecker walks with Halfir back into the City.

@Noggin: "Remind me not to make you angry at me...(mentally chuckles) Well, back to business, I suppose? I'm sure you guessed why they were staring angrily at me." Feinschmecker's mind-voice sounds like he is beaming with joy inside, even though his face indicates nothing more than a mildly pleasant demeanor.

To the escorts in speech-voice: "Thank you for your patience. What is the most expedient way we may meet with the Airlord to discuss this curse?" @HalfyNoggin: "and ask him why he keeps such foul pets. Amusing to deal with, and I'm one to enjoy a challenge of wordplay. But they really were a nasty pair."

JBarca
2016-11-03, 09:52 AM
More than a few of the Jann look a bit surprised to see you, but they quickly recover.

"We can take you to the palace. After that, you're on your own."

Assuming you're willing, they lead you back toward the palace. They take the same route as last time. Again, though, after 20 minutes of walking, the population floats and the city shudders before returning to normal. The sandstorm around the dome disappears, replaced by the swirling mass of clouds and empty sky.

When you reach the silver gates of the palace, two Jann and two Air Elementals stand guard. The gates are open, revealing a wide open and spacious courtyard. Fountains, hedges, and trees are all tall and thin, leaving plenty of room to maneuver, both on the ground and in the air. A dozen Air Mephits flit about, tending to the plants and cleaning the pathways.

glitterbaby
2016-11-03, 10:00 AM
Halir strides forth into the palace as far as he can go before encountering a closed gate or a familiar face, the elf or Jann both come to mind.

JBarca
2016-11-03, 10:12 AM
You do eventually reach the palace proper. It is, of course, huge. Reaching far into the sky, it seems to mostly be made out of a collection of towers with a connected base rather than a main building with towers on top.

Precious metals and gemstones are used both as decoration as as part of the architecture itself. There are a number of smaller doors along the front face, though they are attached to lesser towers than the one before which you stand. The visible part of the palace has a swirling, curling platinum motif engraved across the entire face.

The gate is guarded by twelve creatures. There are five pairs of varying breeds of Sphinx alongside a pair of Astral Devas. The sphinxes are, for the most part, lounged on various perches around the gate while the Angels stand at rigid attention to either side of it. The path here is wider and more open, with no trees or tall hedges planted within fifty feet of the gate itself.

glitterbaby
2016-11-03, 10:28 AM
Halfir's typically stoic, expressionless face turns contains an uneasy optimism at the sight of Angels. He approaches with an uncharacteristic bounce in his step.

"Brothers of the wing! I am called Halfir. How came you to this place and why do you guard Bhehesslihn's palace gates?"

JBarca
2016-11-03, 10:37 AM
Several of the Sphinxes glance over in mild curiosity, but quickly return to lounging.

The two Angels look at Halfir with furrowed brows. The confusion does not look natural on their celestial visages. One speaks when the other hesitates.

"Greetings, Halfir. Why are you here?"

glitterbaby
2016-11-03, 10:45 AM
Taken aback the Celestials aren't answering his question, Halfir responds,

"I am here on behalf of the church of Heironeous. I shepherd the mortals of his following on this plane. There is a great curse spreading. The dead do not remain so, their souls trapped on the plane. We would have words with the Airlord to inform him of this and to request any aid he can provide. Are you here of your own volition, brother?"

JBarca
2016-11-03, 11:01 AM
He takes a few moments to consider your response, still obviously confused.

"I suppose we will not pry.

We are both here at the behest of The Brawler, though we are technically bound to this city as a means of giving us access to the Prime. Primes, my apologies.

Ipsone, if you would?"

One of the Sphinxes, this one with the body of a lion, the head of an ibis, and the wings of an eagle, shrugs and soars skyward before twisting to dive through an open window in the central tower.

glitterbaby
2016-11-03, 11:07 AM
"Pry? If you have a question, please feel free to ask. I would not deny a fellow celestial information.

That brings my heart to ease, then. I have yet to meet Bhehesslihn so I was hoping beyond hope he wouldn't Call my kin against their will."

JBarca
2016-11-03, 11:20 AM
"Forgive any impudence, then, but... why are you here? This seems an event of smaller scale than those with which you normally deal. Unless I was misled about your station. My apologies, there is no need to answer. It is curiosity, nothing more."

glitterbaby
2016-11-03, 03:06 PM
Halfir seems rattled, almost stunned. When he finally brings himself to respond, he is obviously disoriented.

"I... My station... The scale..."

After another moment he pulls himself together, for the most part.

"Yes, yes of course. A test in humility, my friends. Oftentimes we with power must remember our place in the grand scheme of the multiverse. For my part, I am closer to these mortals than I am to the all-encompassing glory that is Heironeous himself and so this is my task and I shall complete it."

JBarca
2016-11-03, 05:34 PM
The Angels glance at each other briefly.

"I... see. Well, welcome, then. Ipsone is making your presence known. I do not doubt that you will be seen quickly, but I cannot say for certain. Regardless, you are of course permitted to enter. I would not even think of denying you."

He does not see. Great Sense Motive rolls, all around.

With that, the two Celestial beings slam the hilts of their maces into the gates simultaneously. A crash, louder than would be expected, echoes throughout the courtyard.

After a moment, the gates swing open.

You are met with a wide open room. Hundreds of feet across and nearly seventy feet high, the floors look to be bamboo and are polished to a sheen that would rival most metals. Thick, velvety carpets are arranged in patterns of color across the floor. Framed paintings hang on the few open area of the wall not covered by elaborate gemstone murals. Some of these designs are images of mythological or historical events, some are patterns, some are portraits. On such portrait dominates your attention, as it covers most of the far wall. It's a Genie of enormous size, wielding a scimitar and shouting to a huge host of beings. At a glance, it seems that the entire image is made of diamonds of various colors.

Platinum and gold busts, weapons of silver and mithral, sets of armor in adamantine and gilded steel, and a smooth sphere, easily three feet across, seemingly made of solid obsidian all sit on pedestals and stands around the room. Doors of thin wood with metal inlays line the walls. Most are open, revealing spacious hallways, open offices, and apparently empty rooms. Upon closer inspection, these empty rooms are actually chutes leading far into the towers above. The various hallways are adorned with wealth, if to a much lesser degree than this chamber.

A set of solid gold double doors, over 20 feet tall, sits barred and locked on your right. The other doors of note, tall but thin and made of mithral, are closed but not locked and are directly opposite the gate.

A few creatures, including Elementals and Mephits, move about from hallways to offices and back as you take in your surroundings.

After a few moments, Ipsone returns and lands near you. Her voice is high pitched and chirpy, but not unpleasant.

"The Airlord has agreed to meet with you one hour hence. This is a great honor; visitors normally expect wait times numbered in days, if not weeks."

JBarca
2016-11-03, 10:32 PM
As you settle down to wait, either standing, walking around to admire the art, or sitting on one of the many benches along the walls here, the doors behind you begin to close.

Just before they do, though, the Angel flies over to Halfir.

"Halfir, I nearly failed to mention something. The Airlord will expect a gift upon meeting him. I see you are carrying nothing, so I can only assume that the Gateguards neglected to mention it to you as well. He will not be so receptive to your arguments if you displease him in this way. He prefers unique gifts to common ones, and is fascinated by complex gadgets, though he would not be displeased with another type of gift. Just a suggestion. My apologies, the gods bless you."

He leaves, slipping through the closing doors with inches to spare.

glitterbaby
2016-11-05, 02:31 PM
Halfir thanks the Angels before standing in the middle of the room to await his Ariness. A few minutes in to his waiting, he turns to Feinschmecker.

"I imagine you have roughly fifty minutes to think of your token."

antoin
2016-11-05, 03:34 PM
"I don't see any token from you, Halfir. Any thoughts on what might please him?"

JBarca
2016-11-05, 08:21 PM
An hour passes.

The great mithral doors swing open silently, and a veritable storms of wind rushes out. Your clothes flap in the gust, but you remain unaffected, despite the obvious fact that the wind was moving with enough force to bowl over most people.

A creature looking remarkably like Halfir, only smaller and less glorious, floats into view in the open doorway. He plays a single blast on his trumpet then calls out in a deep, clear voice, "Halfir the Indomitable and Feinschmecker!"

Stepping to the side and gesturing for you to enter, the Archon reveals a throne room.

It is, from floor to ceiling, gilded. Twenty tall, thin pillars stretch from to the golden archways, nearly a hundred and fifty feet up. Chandeliers made entirely of diamond and glowing orbs of light dangle from the peaks. Massive statues of gold, silver, an swirling air supporting flecks of the same metal (Creating an almost hollow look) depict a Djinni in various poses ranging from violent to peacefully presiding. All, though, speak to power.

Dozens of Jann crowd the edges of the room. Mixed into the crowd are Humans, Elves, and the occasional rarer creature such as an Elemental or two and even a Djinn. One Planetar and one Owl Archon stand together. At the front of the room, a huge pyramid shapes if formed of dozens of long silver cylinders lying horizontally, all floating, none touching each other. It creates the illusion of a staircase. Leading up to this tower, where a mortal might have a fancy carpet, is a thick sheet of cloud set into the floor. In fact, it seems as though there is no floor here - just vapor.

The base of this pyramid is surrounded by dozens of Sphinxes of various types.

Atop this pyramid floats a massive throne made of Platinum. Sitting on this chair is a Djinni. The creature is absolutely massive, twice the size of normal such beings; easily 20 feet tall with a physique to match. He is garbed in flowing robes that sparkle as though they were made of thousands of tiny flecks of precious metals and gems. A diadem of gold rests on his head and two scimitars hang from his belt. The winds from the doorway are emenating from him and do not abate as you near.

Aside from the wind, the room is silent. Airlord Bhehesslihn stares down at you expectantly as you approach the throne.

From your K: Planes checks:

Djinn are Outsiders from the Elemental Plain of Air. They tend toward CG alignments and are typically more impressed by wit than physical strength. They have the ability to turn into a storm of wind and have a few wind-based magical abilities besides (SLAs). They can also jump from and to any of the Elemental Planes, the Primes, or the Astral Plane at-will.

A rare few Djinn are capable of casting Wish as a bargaining token.

You know that Djinn are capable of casting Invisiblity, Create Food and Water, Create Wine, Major Creation, and Persistent Image in addition to the wind/air-based abilities like Gaseous Form, Wind Walk. Djinn are immune to acid and have a powerful Telepathy.

glitterbaby
2016-11-05, 11:57 PM
Halfir strides confidently along the cloud. If it gives way, he begins flying with absolute ease. Upon reaching the Airlord, Halfir offers a respectful arm-to-chest salute.

"Airlord Bhehesslihn. Your city is a feat if magical might and ingenuity. Judging by your opulence, you must truly be blessed by the gods. A token of esteem for the Djinn of your means is nothing easily conjured. I offer then, the one thing you do not have; I offer you my personal experiences and knowledge. Provided powers beyond our ken do not bar me from giving it, I shall grant you the answer to any one question."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 12:33 AM
The Djinni raises an eyebrow and holds his position for several seconds. The already silent court goes still.

Then he floats to a standing position, a mere fraction of an inch above the base of his throne.

He returns your salute, then draws one of his scimitars and holds it out before him like a scepter. When he speaks, his voice calm and steady, but loud and full of authority.

"Halfir. You are welcome in our courts. We apologize for making you wait; one of our courtiers was being most... implacable. Your gift is most welcome. We shall call upon it when we have had time to consider its most valuable application."

He returns to his seat, sheathing his blade as he does so. When he speaks again, he is much quieter and less formal. There are underpinnings of one used to being listened to, but he does not emphasize his booming presence.

"I offer you congratulations on your most recent venture, General. Your work there, and in the past, is truly inspiring. Now, who have you brought with you? My pets said they did not recognize him, which is an oddity in and of itself. A new captain, perhaps? A friend? A lover?" He offers a playful wink with his last question.

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 01:17 AM
Halfir almost laughs. These chaotic creatures always have such an odd approach to humor. He does crack a full-faced smile, something rather unfamiliar.

"I see your mastery of humor matches your apparent grace. I am pleased you find inspiration in my works. The triumph of Good is made even more glorious when it inspires more Good. To answer your question, this here is Feinschemcker, my most recent pupil. He is.. a unique being. He is no captain in any army but has denounced wickedness and is on the path to Goodness; I am his guide."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 12:43 PM
Bhehesslihn nods, a smile still creasing the corner of his mouth. He offers one last glance at Feinschmecker before turning his gaze to the Archon again. "Welcome, then, Feinschmecker.

General, tell me. Why have you come here? I doubt I have done anything to attract your ire and my servants tell me that you seek my aid. I must admit you have me curious."

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 03:25 PM
"Nothing of which I am aware, no. I come bearing ill tidings. There is what seems to be a curse spreading across the land. We would have words with you in regard to this. Your court is surely trustworthy yet the fewer ears the details of this predicament fall on, the better."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 03:37 PM
The Airlord waves and everyone leaves. Most seem a bit upset, though a few are more curious than irritated. The Celestials, among a few others, seem to not care in the slightest.

The Sphinxes hesitate until Bhehesslihn smiles. "Yes, you too. I fear no aggression from this one."

When the room is empty but for the three of you, a gust of wind closes the doors.

"A curse, you say?"

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 03:51 PM
Halfir bursts into a manic laughter, unsheathing his blade.

"Bhehesslihn you fool! I was actually a Pit Fiend in disguise! Fear me, fool! Fear me!"

#SmiteScrub

Halfir nods in appreciation.

"What seems to be a curse, yes. The dead do not remain so, rising to walk a few days later as intelligent yet seemingly mindless Undead. I have analyzed the creatures and the souls of the deceased remain in the body, corporeal or otherwise. The ghosts that are rising retain actual memories and are capable of making decisions. The zombies are not mindless. Even stranger are cases like your man, Krothgun. He seems to be entirely himself. Conjecture brings us to the conclusion the souls may be trapped on the plane or barred from the Astral, potentially fleeing back to their familiar abode.

The entire situation is... troubling. I have been gathering information but I would request you share anything you can. Have you seen this issue yet? Can you proffer a guess at any potential sources? I have my theories but they are just that, theory."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 03:58 PM
Bhehesslihn seems more than a little taken aback.

"This is most troubling. I have yet to notice anything of the sort, though I am rarely in the presence of death. Krothgun perished, you say? How unfortunate. I had wondered why his group had no yet reported in. We'll need to go about recruiting a new corps, of course... But that's neither here nor there.

Are the souls leaving and returning, or are they trapped on the Primes? I fear death and the souls of mortals are not in my area of expertise, as I'm sure you understand. The same can be said for nearly all of my subjects. I offer a refuge here in Herhalium* to those not tied to the Primes. Although I am flattered, I must admit that I do not know why you came to me for aid in this."

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 05:01 PM
"Krothgun and his company perished in battle, yes. They are still, however, very much active. The lingering stench of an Evil aura of great power lingers over them. He and his were not wicked beings in life, I gather? From my dealings with him, I assumed as much.

The souls are... I don't know. Much of this is largely conjecture. Most likely I theorize the souls are either trapped on the plane or trapped in their bodies.

I come to you, Bhehesslihn, as much to inform as to request aid. I'd ask you exercise extreme caution when ordering executions, military strikes, and the like. The more souls that remain in bodies for the time being, the better. My hope was you knew of this curse and were investigating yourself such that we might collaborate or that you may have had a guess of some secret faction of necromancers we could dispatch. Sadly I fear the solution is not so simple."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 05:20 PM
Bhehesslihn rubs his chin.

"Do deaths on other planes have similar results? What if, Hieroneous forbid, an Outsider were to perish? Have you tested these events, or things like them? I feel they might would help narrow down the problem."

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 09:32 PM
"Of course we might. I share your sentiment; there is no reason, in my eyes, not to use the tongues we've been so graciously granted.

Feinschmecker, do I not seem everything I am? I admit I am not one for boasting and as such, don't display my full power but I can't imagine I come off meager.

Back to business, though. That is a theory we have not yet tested though the results of which might be quite telling. Unfortunately I haven't a plethora of willing Evil Outsiders to wantonly slay."

JBarca
2016-11-06, 09:49 PM
The Airlord shrugs.

"We'll be back on the Primes within twenty minutes. There are still leftover Fiends from that invasion a few decades back. You could hunt down a few?

Otherwise, I'm sure a quick trip to, say, The Outlands would quickly yield your desired prey. Or, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, the Abyss is quite literally teeming with foul monsters deserving only your blade."

glitterbaby
2016-11-06, 10:28 PM
"Well, what do you say Feinschmecker? Are you up for some demon hunting?"

antoin
2016-11-06, 11:15 PM
Spellcraft the Telepathy Hijack: [roll0]

"Again, forgive both my ignorance and my curiosity, Lord Bhehesslihn, but how are the movements of this City determined? Is the faint shudder us switching between planes? Does it drift around according to your whim? I've seen many things, but I've never encountered a traveling City like this. And if you will forgive my curiosity one more time, may I ask why you chose those specific pets to guard your gate? For a city and leader as glorious and Good as you and yours are, they seem...how does one say...out of place?"

"Halfir, while I don't doubt your might - and you certainly don't come off as meager, quite the opposite - I'm somewhat confused. I thought you were sent by Heironeous to lead his Church on the Prime. Yet people know your name as a General on your home plane, and 'your station would not normally lead you here?' The Airlord Bhehesslihn (Feinschmecker bows in his direction) knows and admires you, despite his evident might? Unless you are much more humble than I originally thought, this seems...backwards."

"As for demon-hunting, I think it would be beneficial for gathering information, but...are you quite sure this is the just thing, the most Good thing to do? Use other beings, even Evil creatures, as our playthings and research subjects? Wouldn't we be denying them a chance at salvation, however small? Is it not one of the most fundamental precepts of your theology that any sentient creature can be redeemed, no matter their current state of depravity? Isn't that what led you to redeem me in the first place? While I don't consider myself - even my past self - horribly wicked, I had my own flaws. Rather severe ones, at that. And yet you deemed it right and just and Good to work on my redemption. And while I have a long way to go, I consider myself significantly improved under your tutelage."

"Do not misunderstand me - if it is the right thing to do, I would gladly aid you in some good old-fashioned demon-hunting. I just don't want to make you a hypocrite, Halfir. And I will admit I have grown to enjoy the philosophy inherent in Good - particularly debating its finer points with you to increase my understanding. Perhaps one day my questions might even help you in a decision, no?"
Diplom fiddyfo

JBarca
2016-11-07, 12:01 AM
Spellcraft the Telepathy Hijack: [roll0]
"Again, forgive both my ignorance and my curiosity, Lord Bhehesslihn, but how are the movements of this City determined? Is the faint shudder us switching between planes? Does it drift around according to your whim? I've seen many things, but I've never encountered a traveling City like this. And if you will forgive my curiosity one more time, may I ask why you chose those specific pets to guard your gate? For a city and leader as glorious and Good as you and yours are, they seem...how does one say...out of place?"

You've got no idea on the Hijack.
"The City moves where I will it, of course. It is all but a branch of my demesne, and in my demesne, I am god. Yes, it jumps between a Prime and my home Plane, primarily. I will it to shift dimensions, and it does. It is no more difficult then you willing your hand to grasp or your foot to step.

"My Gateguards came to be my pets through a long war with their people. These Efreet have unique talents that I deemed worthwhile and demanded their immortal servitude, bent fully to my will, as part of my spoils."

"As for demon-hunting, I think it would be beneficial for gathering information, but...are you quite sure this is the just thing, the most Good thing to do? Use other beings, even Evil creatures, as our playthings and research subjects? Wouldn't we be denying them a chance at salvation, however small? Is it not one of the most fundamental precepts of your theology that any sentient creature can be redeemed, no matter their current state of depravity? Isn't that what led you to redeem me in the first place? While I don't consider myself - even my past self - horribly wicked, I had my own flaws. Rather severe ones, at that. And yet you deemed it right and just and Good to work on my redemption. And while I have a long way to go, I consider myself significantly improved under your tutelage."

"Redeeming a Demon? Halfir, I think you need to take this one back to basic lessons. Feinschmecker, Demons are being wrought of Evil. They cannot be redeemed. Suggesting on redeem a Demon would be akin to one suggesting we solidify air or make rock breathable. It is impossible. Illogical."

glitterbaby
2016-11-07, 02:00 AM
Halfir closes his eyes, wincing. As though he were suddenly afflicted by an intense migraine. Dazed, he mutters a response.

"My.. My station. General... Abyss... Demons..."

Halfir suddenly opens his eyes and jerks his head back to upright. He seems filled with a new vigor, a rage of sorts. He takes another moment of silence to quell these thoughts before opening his mouth.

"I was not created to be sent to the Primes, Feinschmecker. If all you think I am is Shepherd, you are deeply mistaken. This is my task now and it is the task I shall work until my Lord issues me otherwise. It is oftentimes a test of humility. I have previously played a different role in the multiverse than the one I currently hold, but that is not information for a mortal such as yourself. No, no I think it best you didn't know.

To your other question, mortals are simply a special case. They are beings characterized by free will. Demons, however, are merely manifestations of the Abyss. They are comprised of pure Chaos and Evil. The lower demons are purely inputs dictating outputs. They operate entirely off a predetermined set of behaviors, the majority of them being kill and eat. There is little-to-no thought. As demons grow in power, they carve out for themselves are greater sense of will. The more powerful the demon, the more variation in its behaviors, the more nuanced its decision-making becomes. Eventually, a demon could theoretically be redeemed. By that point, however, it would have had to perform such heinous acts of Evil, and received positive reinforcement that the behavior is valid, that it would almost undoubtedly be completely entrenched in its Evil ways. There has never in the history of the multiverse been a case of a demon redeemed.

And yes, your questions are most welcome. I would greatly prefer to spend three weeks lecturing on the theory of Goodness than to see you slip up in the field."

Halfir makes no mention Feinschmecker's questions help him be more Good.

Will Save: [roll0]

antoin
2016-11-08, 12:53 AM
"Halfir, are you sure you're quite alright? That's twice now your station as a General of Celestia has been mentioned and you have gone into this...weird...mumbling...stupor before you gather your thoughts. I'm only concerned for your well-being. Wouldn't want to have you suddenly lost in thought on the battlefield! Has something happened to you? Unlike most of the Primes, you can be sure that you are among friends, here. Honesty will not hurt you. If there is some way I can assist you, do not be too proud to ask it. While your might is evident, surely my aid can have something to offer you?"
Feinschmecker's usual casual, sometimes sarcastic, but always positive demeanor has gone. He stares at Halfir intently the entire time, with a concerned expression on his face as his eyes look to be trying to pierce what could be nothing more a glowing facade of divine splendor incarnate. The expression might be adopted by both a worrying friend or one solving a puzzle.
Sense Motive this fool just in case: 42
(To the Airlord, as his brighter, more pleasant demeanor slowly returns)
"Once we solve or put aside the hopefully trivial problem of Halfir's...episodes...I think we'll head to the Abyss. Should we go there ourselves, or do you will the City's movements to pass through there? I quite understand if not - it's a rather unsavory place, even in the richer districts, and the whole place reeks. At least, so I've heard. At any rate, how is the best way to come back here once we're done? We would inform you of our results as soon as we can."

glitterbaby
2016-11-09, 07:11 PM
Halfir's relatively joyful expression turns immediately to one of anger and resentment.

"I am not afflicted by anything. I'm simply lost in thought. I said we would have no further words on this subject and I meant it. Now, remove these thoughts from your mind; we have planning to do. The Abyss can be quite hostile for the unprepared."

JBarca
2016-11-09, 07:51 PM
The Airlord watches the byplay with interest, stroking his chin as Halfir's emotions change drastically and suddenly. When it becomes clear the conversation is over, he shakes his head.

"No, Feinschmecker, I will not bring my city to the Abyss. I sincerely hope you jest, albeit in very poor taste. Why would I subject my people to the horrors of a place built on Evil, destruction, and rampages? What sort of leader would I be?

As for how to return, merely find the city and walk in through the gate. I suggest entering while the city is on the Plane of Air. The sandstorms kicked up by Herhalium's ambient power can be quite dangerous."

glitterbaby
2016-11-14, 01:23 AM
"Poor taste, indeed. The Abyss is a wicked place filled with endless atrocities. I would wish the place not on my fiercest rival. Though we shall fear no Evil, we would be fools for treading in that muck unprepared.

I believe this concludes our business then, Bhehesslihn. While the circumstances of our meeting were ominous, I enjoyed it nonetheless. In the future, and in times of urgency, I would greatly prefer to be able to arrive in the city without having to first manually locate it. Is this a possibility?"

JBarca
2016-11-14, 11:20 AM
He shakes his head sadly.

"Unfortunately, such a thing is not possible. It costs me much to pull others here, and I can not give that boon out freely. I do wish you the best of luck, though, and can offer some support now if you need it. Do you have any other requests of me before you leave?"

antoin
2016-11-14, 11:07 PM
"Yes, I request that you continue your trend of not taking my chat color."

"If I may...as a lifelong student of the arcane and magic in general, how did you manage to bind those two pets of yours at the gate? They seem like rather powerful specimens--not compared to you, of course, but still...I understand they were your spoils of war, but by what means do you keep them held to their oath? I imagine they'd do everything in their power to resist it."

JBarca
2016-11-15, 08:27 PM
The Airlord looks less than pleased.

"I'm afraid I don't understand how that pertains to the current problem, Feinschmecker. That being said, I merely Bound them as one usually does but used previously made agreements to strengthen my claim on their services. I would rather not go into specifics, given your apparent interest in them."

He gives you a very pointed look.

You get the distinct feeling that he is well aware of the negotiations that went on between you and the Efreet.

antoin
2016-11-15, 08:47 PM
Feinschmecker inclines his head, understanding that some things take time.
"It does not pertain; as I said, it was merely a curiosity of mine. At any rate, you have been most gracious in your reception of us, Lord Bhehesslihn. Unless Halfir has anything else to request, I think we will go prepare for our...'field work.' I hope that we will not be strangers to each other, and I look forward to the day I return to your halls. As a gift to you, once our business is done, I would offer you my skills and my assistance for a short while. I am not in the business of granting unconditional favors - while I doubt not your good intentions, I have been trapped by such agreements in the past - but you shall have what my magic or counsel has to offer you."

Diplomacy 54 to dissuade any negative impression the Airlord might have of me.

JBarca
2016-11-15, 09:14 PM
The Airlord inclines his head, accepting your explanation and offer. "I shall keep that in mind, thank you. Halfir?"

glitterbaby
2016-11-16, 07:50 PM
"How unfortunate. My hope is we might, in the future, have such beneficial dealings that such a thing would be possible.

I would discuss geopolitical matters per my obligation. Were it any interest to you, I might offer my voice as head of the Church of Heironeous on this plane, in establishing your legal rule over the Kathara. Judging by the oath requested of us by your pets upon entering, I assume you have no interest in making the existence of your city anything more than legend, but I make the token offer nonetheless. The offer is no less concrete should you wish to accept. It could prove to be of economic benefit in the form of official trade and the like.

Lastly, I have heard-tell of a dragon. I admit I hold a fascination for such beasts. Their origins are utterly awe-inspiring. This is entirely a matter of personal interest, but I would relish an introduction."

JBarca
2016-11-16, 08:19 PM
"An arrangement might be made in the future, I concede.

Yes, I wish my city to remain a mystery. I have all the trade I need here; I believe I exaggerate not when I claim that this is the wealthiest city on the Prime, when it's there. I appreciate the offer, nonetheless.

And who told you of my little pet? I do have a Dragon here, it's true. I suppose there's no harm in it. Befraim! Up!"

A second passes before your extraordinary senses (Blindsight and the like) pick up an incoming creature from beneath you. After another few moments, a drake climbs up through the clouds set in the floor. It is small for a Dragon, no more than five feet at the shoulder. It hops across the clouds, which did not support Halfir earlier, as though they were solid ground. Its silver hide gleams brightly in the reflected light of the gold in the room, making each individual scale stand out in slightly different shades.

It playfully hops past the two of you and curls itself around the Airlord's legs. The Genie's face is bright with amusement and fondness for the Dragon, clearly.

"Halfir, Feinschmecker, meet Befraimelixe, my pet. Befraim, these are my friends, Halfir the Indomitable and Feinschmecker. Say hello!"

The Dragon calms and nods solemnly, suddenly all business. "Greetings Halfir and Feinschmecker. How do you do?"

antoin
2016-11-25, 11:24 PM
Feinschmecker smiles widely and inclines his head graciously.
"Quite well. It is wonderful to make your acquaintance, Befraimelixe."
He looks expectantly at Halfir.

After the dragon introduction and any other dragon stuff:
"I would have guessed this city possessed wealth surpassing any on the Prime. Still, I believe I speak for both of us when I say that if there is something more unique that interests you, or trade agreements with mortals - for, say, a cause you support - we will be happy to help you."

"And as you mentioned that the city is the wealthiest on the Prime, when will this city be back on the Prime? It would be delightful to stay, but if Halfir and I are to continue our research by delving into the Abyss, I will need to do some preparation elsewhere."

"Also, to what spells is this city impervious to as far as location and entry or exit? We heard of this city, and I sent Halfir with a Find the Path to it, but he returned empty-handed. Is it shielded from Divinations? If on the correct plane, am I free to teleport away or into the city? If on a different plane, will a Plane Shift guide me to or from here?"

Diplom 54 to make a good impression on Widdle Dwagon.

JBarca
2016-12-04, 06:30 PM
Halfir strikes the Balor, who roars in pain and anger. Black, flaming ichor drips from a gash down the monster's side. This roar ignites the Demon's very flesh in sheets of roaring hellfire. Waves of heated air fill the small space. A bit of the flame coalesces into a long, thin whip in the Demon's left hand. As the Balor raises its blade, Halfir notices that the back of its shoulders are simply not there. The monster's black blood flows from one side of the gap to the other without spilling, in an effect similar to that which you noticed on the first handful of Dretches.

The wound on its flank, though, begins to stop bleeding and smooth over, taking on an effect similar to the one on its shoulders.

Instead of swinging, though, the Balor simply disappears. Before you can so much as blink, the flaming Demon reappears behind Feinschmecker and points. A new Demon, this one with the upper body of an attractive Human female, albeit with six arms, and the lower body of a massive serpent, pops into being adjacent to Halfir, between him and his ally. It raises six longswords and begins swinging its blades with reckless abandon.

As it does so, the Balor glares at Feinschmecker with a mix of raw hatred and vile excitement, readying its blade to strike.

The new Demon is, of course, a Marilith.
You both know all Demon traits with your knowledges. Glitter, I've told you what Halfir knows about Balors. Antoin, Feiny knows nothing about Balors.

You both know the following about Mariliths - They are high ranking Demons who often serve as field generals for Abyssal armies. They fight with many weapons and are capable combatants in their own right. The possess a wide variety of spell-like abilities and have a constant True Seeing effect.

Now, for the attack rolls - The Marilith is attacking 10 times. Four times with one sword, once each with the other five, and once with its tail. Here we go.

1[roll0]
2[roll1]
3[roll2]
4[roll3]
5[roll4]

6[roll5]
7[roll6]
8[roll7]
9[roll8]

10[roll9]

1[roll10]
2[roll11]
3[roll12]
4[roll13]
5[roll14]

6[roll15]
7[roll16]
8[roll17]
9[roll18]

10[roll19]

1[roll20]
2[roll21]
3[roll22]
4[roll23]
5[roll24]

6[roll25]
7[roll26]
8[roll27]
9[roll28]

10[roll29]

The Balor moved using a Quickened Greater Teleport SLA, before you ask. Quickened spells do not provoke AoOs.

Feinschmecker, it is you turn. There is a Balor standing adjacent to you, a Marilith about 30ft ahead of you, and a Halfir about 40ft ahead of you.

The first strike by the Marlith hits home, bypassing Halfir's resistances and dealing 13 damage. Halfir deflects the second attack, but catches the third for his trouble for 11 damage. The Marilith's previously deviously excited smile slips and it growls, readying itself to continue the fight.

antoin
2016-12-08, 01:40 AM
Feinschmecker disappears, reappears 10 feet farther away from the Balor, turns his head toward the Balor as he drifts behind Halfir over the Marilith.
"You know we're not here to fight you, right? I think our cooperation could produce some excellent results for you...me...everyone really."
I'm directly behind Halfir, adjacent to him.
Will Save DC 32 or mindslave on le balor. TP was from my Anklet of Translocation.

JBarca
2016-12-08, 04:03 PM
Dat Save: [roll0] = Will Save, pre-modifiers. Yes, he's got at least a +15.

Feinschmecker "jumps" a distance a way, glares at his foe for a moment, then turns to fly toward his ally. As he does, though, the Balor flicks its wrist and the flaming cord, now obviously a whip, lashes out, catching the mage's ankle. Grinning at its prey, it drags Feinschmecker toward its body, alight with literal hellfire.

Things which will be necessary depending on the results of the above:

[roll1] - Touch Attack
[roll2] - Unneeded.

Opposed Strength Checks.
[roll3]
vs
[roll4]

Results - Feiny, you are effectively Entangled and unable to move from your present location (sharing a space with the Balor). -2 on attack rolls, -4 Dex, Concentration check needed to cast spells. Escape requires a DC 25 Strength Check or a DC 20 Escape Artist Check.

Now, with its target wrapped in a flaming whip being burned alive by white and black flame (Feinschmecker, take 16 points of damage from Hellfire (not resisted by fire resistance or anything like it) and 12 points of normal fire damage), the Demon lifts its head to look directly at Halfir, grinning.

glitterbaby
2016-12-09, 02:54 AM
Halfir's eyes dart around the corridor, taking stock of all that's going around. He then spreads his wings and flies backwards, upwards, and over the Marilith making his way over to the Balor. He attempts to smack away the Marilith's attack that it is extremely likely to take as Halfir opens his defenses up for it. He then brings his blade to bear on the Balor, attempting to bleed his foe.

First Attack cannot be healed by fast healing or nonmagical healing. Can be healed magically with a DC 37 Heal check.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit Confirm: [roll8]

Smite Recharge: [roll9]

JBarca
2016-12-09, 08:47 PM
Halfir soars up and around the Demon, and she smiles wickedly, her many blades lashing out at the Archon. Halfir's preternatural reflexes allow him to thrust The Ambassador between himself and the Marilith at the last second, though, as he deftly blocks the first attack.

[roll0] VS Parry [roll1] - Failure = FF.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Crits? [roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

But one of the attacks manages to find its target, scratching Halfir as he soars past (11 Slashing Chaotic, Evil damage)

With a mighty swing, Halfir is able to widen the shrinking gash on the Balor's flank, and this time the wound stays open. This blow, though, leaves Halfir overextended, and the Demon lashes out to take advantage of the opportunity. His blade strikes true, cutting open Halfir's arm. Along with his blood, the Archon feels some of his Self leak out of the wound 17 Slashing, Chaotic, Evil damage AND 3 Charisma Damage AND 1 Constitution Damage).

Nat1 and a confirm = AoO from your target.
[roll16]
Crit? [roll17]
Damage [roll18] And [roll19]

Halfir's third attempt leaves another deep wound, though this one heals over quickly. Each time he strikes the Balor, though, Halfir feels some of his strength leave his body.

Halfir making two Fort Saves (one occurs after each time you hit the guy).
[roll20] AND [roll21]

(Ouch. Six Strength Damage)

The Marilith, seeing her chance, hurries forward to attack the Archon while he's distracted with the Balor. Slithering up to beneath Halfir, she again lashes out, this time with her tail.

[roll22] VS parry [roll23]
Crit? [roll24]
Dmg [roll25]

She tries to wrap her tail around Halfir and drag him down, but the Archon's larger-than-life physique easily overpowers her attempt (20 Slashing, CE Damage and a Grapple check that she loses automatically).

The Balor roars. Rage, hatred, and pain coalesce into a bone-jarring noise that would likely deafen lesser beings.

His flames continue to engulf Feinschmecker, but his blade cares only for Halfir. Once, twice, thrice, four times he swings at the flying Archon. There is minimal skill involved, but the strength and speed of the blows alone is enough to threaten even the Indomitable Halfir's adroit defenses.

Balor's attacks.

[roll26] VS Parry [roll27]
Crit? [roll28]
Damage [roll29] And [roll30]

[roll31] VS Parry [roll32]
Crit? [roll33]
Damage [roll34] And [roll35]

[roll36] VS Parry [roll37]
Crit? [roll38]
Damage [roll39] And [roll40]

[roll41] VS Parry [roll42]
Crit? [roll43]
Damage [roll44] And [roll45]

And finally, [roll46] and [roll47]

Holy cow I hope I got everything... High level play is dumb.

Only the first and last of the Balor's swings manage to slip through Halfir's defenses, but they leave him damaged in more ways than one. (13 Slash CE AND 4 Charisma Damage AND 1 Con Damage)

Total, if you don't want to add it all up - 61 damage. 7 Charisma. 2 Con. 6 Strength.

Feinschmecker is still caught against the Demon's flaming body (12 Hellfire Damage AND 6 Fire Damge).

Feinschmecker, you are up. The Balor looks very wounded, though a good portion of his wounds are closing over. The Marilith is untouched but apparently ineffectual.

You are in the Balor's square. Halfir is 10ft up and 5ft over (not directly adjacent). The Marilith is 20ft away (5ft from Halfir) and on the ground.

glitterbaby
2016-12-10, 06:52 PM
HP: 207; AC: 42, 38, 18; Fort 17, Ref 13, Will 20

The flurry of steel around him only brings a smile to Halfir's face. In the heat of battle, he barely notices all the different sources of pain. He slashes back.

To-Hit: [roll0]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

To-Hit: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

To-Hit: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Crit Confirm: [roll10]
Crit Damage: [roll11]

To-Hit: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Crit Confirm: [roll14]
Crit Damage: [roll15]

To-Hit: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Crit Confirm: [roll18]
Crit Damage: [roll19]

JBarca
2016-12-10, 07:57 PM
You Fort Saves - [roll0] AND [roll1]
If needed: [roll2] AND [roll3]

Halfir swings his blade at the Demon five times more, but the monster is able to knock two aside and simply dodge a third. Two attacks strike home, though, cutting into each shoulder.

Again, the very act of attacking the Balor weakens the Archon. Halfir, take 6 Strength Damage.

Feinschmecker, you're up. The Demon is pretty hurt, but not mortally so.

antoin
2016-12-13, 01:48 AM
Feinschmecker disappears from the Balor's grasp and appears a short distance above and away from the Balor before drifting to the roof of the building next to Halfir. Placing his hand on Halfir's shoulder and giving nothing more than a disgusted glance to the Marilith likely trying to swing at him, Feinschmecker's eyes turn to Halfir as his voice swells abruptly as the entrancing murmur gives way to a wrathful, booming voice that fills the tunnel,
"The Halfir the Indomitable I know will bow to no demon. If my tongue cannot be an ambassador to your mind to cooperate, I will send another, less merciful Ambassador. Eyes up, General! End him."
As he says this, waves of arcane energy surge from Feinschmecker to Halfir, replenishing his will and his strength. You notice that Feinschmecker seems ever-so-slightly diminished as a result.
Move to spot on map. Halfir, get Restored (as the spell).

JBarca
2016-12-13, 04:21 PM
The Balor roars again as the mage teleports free of his binds, and immediately retaliates, snapping his whip at Feinschmecker again. The Marilith also lashes out with a blade.

AoO for Casting:
Touch Attack: [roll0]

Opposed Str Checks, if necessary
[roll1]
VS
[roll2]

Normally, you'd still be able to cast. Since the specifics of a spell are decided when you cast, you'd still be able to use Limited Wish for whatever you want. But you failed your Concentration check twice (damaged and Entangled), so the spell (and its components) is lost.
[roll3] AND [roll4]

AoO for casting.
[roll5]
Crit? [roll6]
Dmg [roll7]

AoO for moving out of threatened square when pulled by Balor.
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10] This should be 5 higher, sorry.

Feinschmecker is again caught in the whip, pulling him too far away from Halfir to restore him. The mage is pressed against the Demon's flaming body again, and takes 18 Hellfire damage and 7 Fire Damage. The Marilith's attacks also deal a critical hit for 23 Evil, Chaotic, Slashing damage.

Feiny, you are effectively Entangled and unable to move from your present location (sharing a space with the Balor). -2 on attack rolls, -4 Dex, Concentration check needed to cast spells. Escape requires a DC 25 Strength Check or a DC 20 Escape Artist Check.

JBarca
2016-12-13, 05:11 PM
The Balor growls low at the mage, then continues to rain blows upon the flying Archon. The snake-like Marilith carefully slides forward and begins attacking Feinschmecker. As the Balor attacks, its wounds slowly heal over.

Balor's attacks.
[roll0] VS Parry [roll1]
Crit? [roll2]
Damage [roll3] And [roll4] - Hit

[roll5] VS Parry [roll6]
Crit? [roll7]
Damage [roll8] - Hit

[roll9] VS Parry [roll10]
Crit? [roll11]
Damage [roll12] And [roll13]

[roll14] VS Parry [roll15]
Crit? [roll16]
Damage [roll17] And [roll18]

And finally, [roll19] and [roll20]

The first two hits strike true. Halfir takes 32 Slashing, Evil, Chaotic damage and 7Charisma Damage and 2 Con Damage.
Marilith's, vs Feinschmecker. Feiny is Entangled, so his AC is 2 lower.
1[roll21]
2[roll22]
3[roll23]
4[roll24]

5[roll25]
6[roll26]
7[roll27]
8[roll28]
9[roll29]

10[roll30]

1[roll31]
2[roll32]
3[roll33]
4[roll34]

5[roll35]
6[roll36]
7[roll37]
8[roll38]
9[roll39]

10[roll40]

The Marilith strikes at Feinschmecker many times. The mage is hit with four sword blows and the tail. 18, 11, 6, 10, and 19 damage. Feiny also takes 14 Hellfire Damage and 7 fire Damage.

Seeing both of its enemies standing, albeit worse for the wear, the Balor simply disappears, leaving Feinschmecker standing in place and the Marilith looking very angry.

glitterbaby
2016-12-13, 05:28 PM
Halfir takes the blows without flinching. He releases his grip on the Ambassador with one hand and reaches towards the heavens. Halfir wreaths himself in invigorating holy light and reassumes control of his blade.

Concentration: [roll0]

The DC to cast defensively is 15 + spell level, I automatically succeed.

antoin
2016-12-14, 02:20 PM
Feinschmecker laughs at the Balor's disappearance before drifting ~30(or whatever looks definitely far enough) feet away from the Marilith.
He then says "Yeah he was a coward, wasn't he?" after which he mutters something under his breath and points at the Marilith.
Gonna try to killsteal Halfir with a 2nd (Arcane Turmoil).
Dispel Check: ok
Reserves: :(, the other +2 is from my Dispelling Cord.
A gentle reminder about Mindsight for the Marilith and if the Balor would happen to be nearby.

antoin
2016-12-14, 02:22 PM
Dispel:[roll0]
[roll1]

JBarca
2016-12-15, 03:46 PM
[roll0]

The Marilith swipes at Feinschmecker as he drifts away.

[roll1]
Crit [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Feinschmecker's spell fails to destroy the Marilith, but her eyes widen as she realizes what he's attempting, and she hurries away from the pair of adventurers, slithering deeper into the tunnel.

The Archon takes advantage of her distraction to attack, delivering a harsh blow that opens a great wound across her back. She snarls in pain and anger, even as she continues to flee.

[roll4]
[roll5]
Crit? [roll6]

The Marilith suddenly stops 40 feet away and gesture. A whirling circle of blades appears. One edge is adjacent to Halfir, and one is about 20 feet away from him. The wall goes from floor to ceiling.

Yeah, it's a Blade Barrier. She used the circular option, centered 30ft in front of her, 10ft radius.

glitterbaby
2016-12-15, 04:56 PM
AC: 42, 38, 18 ; Saves: Fort 18, Ref 13, Will 23 ; HP 283

Halfir almost scoffs as he takes off, flying straight through the swirling blades such that he might bring the weight of his blade and the sins of the demon crashing down on it.

Attack: [roll4]

Attack: [roll8]

JBarca
2016-12-15, 10:55 PM
Blade Barrier stuff.
CL checks [roll0]
[roll1]

Reflex Saves [roll2]
[roll3]

Damage [roll4]
[roll5]
lol.

Halfir, apparently uncaring and untouched, glides through a literal storm of blades and brings his own great weapon against the Demon. She screeches in pain as each blow cuts into her, leaving massive gaping wounds across her chest and shoulders. She is on her last legs, here.

Feinschmecker's turn.

antoin
2016-12-15, 11:25 PM
Feinschmecker delays, averting his eyes from the lickaroo. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmCW8Cz7mE)

JBarca
2016-12-15, 11:30 PM
The Marilith repeats her maneuver, again throwing up, effectively, two walls of blades between her and the Archon.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

glitterbaby
2016-12-15, 11:33 PM
Halfir repeats his.

Attack: [roll4]

Attack: [roll8]

antoin
2016-12-15, 11:36 PM
Feiny starts climbing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0GG-c1Jvc). (He delays again)

JBarca
2016-12-15, 11:49 PM
Blade Barrier stuff.

[roll0] DC29
[roll1] DC29

[roll2] DC??
[roll3] DC??

[roll4]
[roll5]

Halfir takes 49 untyped damage as the blades cut him up good.

With Halfir's first swing, the Marilith drops dead, then immediately dissipates into nothingness.

antoin
2016-12-16, 12:06 AM
Feinschmecker takes a short while, no more than half a minute, to drift around, assess the surroundings, and reach into a pouch in his robes, pulling out a small anklet, and putting it on his foot. He takes off an identical anklet from his foot and puts it into the pouch.

@HalfirBrain: "So, what exactly are we doing here now? A Balor knows of our existence and will likely bring more minions back to hunt us down. We have several subjects still at the entrance for testing on the Primes. Is there any point to our continued presence? You cannot conquer the whole Abyss, Halfir. It is practically infinite. You could obliterate this whole stronghold - this whole layer, even - and it would be less than a drop in the sea of Chaos and Evil in which we find ourselves."

glitterbaby
2016-12-16, 12:32 AM
"Chaos, yes. The Evil is simply a byproduct, a means of achieving their goals. And it is entirely infinite. This place is offensive and I wish to leave it. This place though... It's intriguing. I cannot leave, as much as I want to. I want to see this through to the end of this tunnel, at the very least."

JBarca
2016-12-28, 06:28 PM
After slightly less than 16 minutes, the blades disappear, leaving the tunnel clear.

As you continue deeper into the carved passageway, you see what seems to be the end. As you near, though, this "end" becomes apparent - a patch of nothingness, fully blocking your way forward. This patch is colorless - a harsh white that isn't bright, a dull gray that has no shade, a pitch black with no depth. It's nearly impossible to see any details. It is nothing. Your extra-normal senses can detect nothing past the nothingness.

The flight to this point takes about five minutes.

antoin
2017-01-10, 08:57 PM
Feinschmecker clearly takes great interest in Halfir's comments on Evil and Chaos, pausing to reflect on them for a short while.

At the end of the tunnel, he nods his head slowly before turning to face Halfir.
"This is, well...quite literally nothing. My senses fail to detect anything, and despite centuries of study the only word I can find to describe this is...nothingness. The absence of anything, even the absence of a vacuum. So if you need to have a moment of existential reflection at this spot, do so and let's be on our way. We have what we need, and this place only becomes less palatable with time."
His words have a sense of finality mixed with a tinge of impatience, making one feel as if there is no other option.

glitterbaby
2017-01-10, 10:46 PM
Halfir looks ever curiously at the expanse of nothingness. He approaches far too closely for comfort, picks up a pebble and tosses it in. He then looks expectantly at Feinschmecker.

JBarca
2017-01-10, 11:21 PM
Halfir bends down, acts as though he is grabbing something, and moves his hand toward the nothing before looking and Feinschmecker. Nothing changes.

antoin
2017-01-11, 12:05 AM
Feinschmecker raises an eyebrow.
"Um...if that's your idea of reflection...whatever suits you, I suppose. Or do you mean we should toss something in to see what happens?"

glitterbaby
2017-01-11, 12:07 AM
"Whatever do you mean? I tossed in one of those flakes of stone."

I... I thought I did, at least. It's what I meant to do. Odd is it possible this place is limiting our perceptive abilities?

antoin
2017-01-11, 05:23 PM
Feiny's eyes narrow. He picks up a flake of stone, briefly handling it before handing it to Halfir.
"Throw this in."

glitterbaby
2017-01-11, 05:24 PM
Halfir takes what is offered and tosses it into the nothingness.

JBarca
2017-01-11, 05:32 PM
After a moment, the recent memories you have are thus:

Halfir's little stunt, pretending to throw something.
A moment of silence.
Feinschmecker expressing his confusion, then attempting to interpret Halfir's antics. Halfir expressing confusion.
Something vague about Feinschmecker suggesting Halfir throw something into the nothingness.

Feinschmecker and Halfir otherwise remember previous events as you, the players, would expect.

glitterbaby
2017-01-12, 12:13 PM
"This place cannot exist... What is it..."

Halfir tries "again."

JBarca
2017-01-12, 12:29 PM
Again (to the players' minds), Halfir does not throw a rock.

This time, though, you both have a vague feeling of discomfort mixed with deja vu. Your memories are there, and are obviously real unless you were both subject to some very powerful magic, but they are more than a little confusing. Why is your mind trying to reconcile doing the same thing three times? Why hasn't Halfir thrown a rock yet?

Something is off, but you can't quite name it. Not yet, at least.

antoin
2017-01-12, 02:46 PM
Feinschmecker's look goes from mild annoyance and curiosity to obvious irritation.
"Halfir, I'm sick of these shenanigans. As uncomfortable as you might be with the prospect, I need to make absolutely sure that you are actually throwing a rock to your perception. I..."
He falters for a second, realizing his proposition is likely not going to go over all that well.
"Halfir, I need you to trust me...I'm going to Dominate you and force you to throw a rock in there. If you are still unable to, that provides us with valuable evidence on the nature of this anomaly. If you let me do this - I won't force you - be assured I will swear oaths beforehand not to do anything except what you agree to while under my control, and to release you immediately upon the end of either our experiments or if you wish my control to end. However, I must maintain complete control of you as you throw the rock, to remove the possibility of compulsion or something else acting on you."
After a brief pause, Feinschmecker hastily adds, "Of course, I will not force this on you. I know it's asking a lot. But it would begin to construct an explanation."

glitterbaby
2017-01-12, 02:55 PM
"Make a move to sever me from my Will and I shall sever your head from your shoulders."

"That is potentially the least desirable suggestion you've made thus far."

antoin
2017-01-12, 03:03 PM
Feinschmecker sighs, though he seems unsurprised.
"Easy. As I said, I knew it was asking a lot."
Feinschmecker stares at the patch for a short while before closing his eyes, deep in thought. A few seconds later, they snap open and lock on Halfir.
"Help me."
Feinschmecker begins moving all chips of rock by the patch further up the tunnel about 15 feet or so - out of reach of Halfir's position by the patch. As he does so, he elaborates on his curt request.
"We're going to test a hunch of mine. We're going to move anything resembling a pebble or fragment of rock that you would throw but leave one close to the patch. We're going to scratch into the wall that we've left one rock here. Then, once we've confirmed there is nothing else nearby, you will throw that in."

glitterbaby
2017-01-12, 03:29 PM
"A fine plan. I'll get to work straightaway."

JBarca
2017-01-12, 06:11 PM
You have pushed most of the rock away from the nothingness and are hard at work carving the Abyssal stone when something happens.

As you're carving you suddenly feel intense fear come across the telepathic bond that connects you to your enthralled Demons. Almost immediately after this, the connection is severed. They were either freed, temporarily or permanently, from your control through one of several means, or they were killed.

Just so you wouldn't feel left out.

antoin
2017-01-12, 06:27 PM
Feiny abruptly stops and scowls.
"I just lost those two demons. They were really afraid, and then either they were released from my command or killed. I...don't like this. Now, whoever did this is near the entrance, so we should have some time. But we... need to hurry."

glitterbaby
2017-01-12, 09:31 PM
"Understood. We can certainly find more wicked beings for our experiments at a different time and in a different place. It may have been our reason for coming here but I do believe we may have found another reason to stay. This place must be cleansed. I understand that sounds odd given that we're in a place that seems forever unclean but this is some new wickedness. I am of the opinion we sort this out."

antoin
2017-01-12, 09:36 PM
Feinschmecker glances up the tunnel and pauses in indecision.
He resumes carving, faster than before: "Pick up a rock - not the one we left for you to throw, and help!"
He insists on carving the "but 1" personally.
As he does so, you hear in your head: "Did you Detect it? My guess is that this is no form of Evil or wickedness. No, this is something else entirely. I expect this is not even part of the Abyss proper."
The small flaming humanoid usually somewhere on Feinschmecker's person disappears.

JBarca
2017-01-12, 10:01 PM
Four minutes go by as the two of you diligently scratch a note into a wall in the Abyss.

After a minute, you are both standing looking at a patch of nothingness, fully blocking your way forward. Halfir is right next to the patch, Feinschmecker is a few steps back. This patch is colorless - a harsh white that isn't bright, a dull gray that has no shade, a pitch black with no depth. It's nearly impossible to see any details. It is nothing. Your extra-normal senses can detect nothing past the nothingness.

You're aware you've been standing here for a while, and have made a number of plans to throw things into the void before you, but have gone through with none of them. Because of this, you both feel at least mildly irritated and confused - something is not adding up.

Oddly enough, there is a low pile of rocks and dust across the floor of the tunnel about 15 feet away from the patch.

Even more odd, though, is the scratches Feinschmecker notices on the wall. The first few characters are clear, if crude. After that, they vary, but decline, in quality, as though the being responsible gave up on legibility. One character, or small group of characters, is so poorly done and has suffered so much damage that it is unreadable, leaving the following message: All rocks but▓▓▓away.

Feinschmecker, you are still aware that you noticed the loss of your Demons while standing in front of this void, and the mission for which your fire familiar departed.

antoin
2017-01-12, 10:55 PM
"Why have we been just standing here so long? Weren't we going to test something with...this...Do you know what these scratches mean? 'All rocks but blah away?'"
Feinschmecker's bewildered expression turns to the void. Without really waiting for a reply, he stands 10 feet back from it, spreads his arms wide, and says, "I can't believe I didn't think of this - worth a try!"
Detect Magic on the ????

JBarca
2017-01-12, 11:02 PM
You detect nothing that you haven't detected before (the latent Overwhelming Abjuration effect).

antoin
2017-01-12, 11:09 PM
"No spells at work here...I wonder...could we bypass it? Carve around it? See if we can't get around it? If this is simply a layer, you could teleport past it."
Feinschmecker looks at Halfir, then back at the void.
"But first, maybe it'd be safer to throw a rock in?"
Feinschmecker picks up a rock from the low pile and chucks it into the void from a safe distance.
Spellcraft +24 for things that could affect memories, I can't roll on an edit.

JBarca
2017-01-12, 11:20 PM
You both are now looking at the yawning nothing again, with Feinschmecker's list of suggested tests still fresh in your minds.

Nothing active has happened since you used Detect Magic. At least that you recall.

But this is getting ridiculous, right? How many times will you convince yourselves to throw a rock? Something weird is happening without a doubt.

Spells: Programmed Amnesia, Mind Rape, Modify Memory, Memory Rot, etc. There are a bunch, and you're at least passingly familiar with most of them.

antoin
2017-01-12, 11:34 PM
"What if...let's just try this. Maybe there's something weird with the rocks."
Feinschmecker points at the ground as an invisible Celestial Dog appears.
Invis SMI.
"Run in there, boy!"
The dog is ordered to run into the something.

JBarca
2017-01-13, 12:29 PM
Several seconds pass.

You both recall Feinschmecker casting Summon Monster I, but something must have prevented it from working, since there are no summoned creatures within range of either of your senses.

Will Save: [roll0]

EDIT: So close. Oh well. I tried.

glitterbaby
2017-01-13, 11:51 PM
"Perhaps, Feinschmecker, a Divine hand would see greater success."

In a loud, stern voice Halfir then chants a sacred passage.

"Aye and it was declared! That all those marching under the banner of justice shall gain favor in the eyes of Heironeous. And those who fight in His name shall know glory!"

The spell Recitation

JBarca
2017-01-14, 12:02 AM
Feinschmecker gains a +2 Luck bonus on Attacks and Saving Throws.

glitterbaby
2017-01-14, 01:24 AM
"I'd imagine the complication is likely only occurring when this... thing is directly targeted."

Halfir casts Dispel Magic

JBarca
2017-01-14, 01:27 AM
A few seconds following the casting of Recitation, you both are aware that Halfir used Dispel Magic. But you recall nothing happening as a result.

antoin
2017-01-16, 10:55 PM
Feinschmecker closes his eyes, composing himself.
"No more spells. No, this won't budge to our spells. And if I had to guess, all the things that 'failed' were spells we attempted to target this with, in some way. This patch is having an extremely strange effect on our memories - I can't think of any other solution."
Feinschmecker pauses, eyes fixated in space as he concentrates and orders his thoughts.
"And we were going to throw some rock in there, but we never did - or what if we did, but it made us forget? Either way, I don't think anything directly affecting this is going to help us. Now, I have a few ideas that come to mind for what to do.

The first and easiest to test is to examine how it affects memory after we leave here. If you go into one of these side tunnels, can you teleport back next to me? If we write something about it, does it vanish or can we keep track of it? Such anomalies like this might attempt to erase not just how we try to affect it, but our very memory, both mental and physical, of its existence. Whether such things are a byproduct of its existence or something more nefarious is at work, I have no idea. Have you Detected Evil on this?

The second is that for as long as I've known you, your 'meditation' has helped you solve many dilemmas. Frankly, I don't know what your meditation consists of, but I've seen you resort to it many times when confronted with a problem. Perhaps that would help us here?

The third is if we wanted to try direct experimentation one more time...What if, say, we cut off a small part of ourselves and put it in there? Like the tip of your finger, or some hair, or something. Even if we forget putting it in the patch, surely we'd see your missing part and know something is up? I'm assuming, of course, that you can Regenerate yourself, either naturally or by the spell.

The fourth is back to my suggestion of Domination before. I know, an odious idea. I'm not sure how successful we'd be, either, but I might be able to get a glimpse at how this affects our minds, since I'll already be in yours, in a sense.

The fifth idea I have is contacting a friend of mine. While I don't know if he's seen anything like this before, he's at least as learned as me in arcana and the planes, if not more. Perhaps he could shed some more light on this. I have no idea if he'd be available to help us on such short notice, however. I can't imagine we want to sit around here for hours or days if he's preoccupied.

The sixth and last idea is to leave this place with an amusing story to tell for years to come. We can easily - and more safely - obtain demons to experiment on on the Prime.

Well?"

glitterbaby
2017-01-21, 04:01 AM
"Fair enough, then. No more spells.

At the very least we ought to take leave this chamber, you are correct in this. Perhaps then, we might collect our thoughts more easily.

This is certainly something I on which I ought to meditate. The only hold up for me is that I tend to trance for a full day and we have a time-sensitive task to accomplish. Taking minutes or hours to explore a matter of personal interest is one thing, but a full day? I'm not sure it would be wise.

I'll admit I am not pleased to hear such a suggestion. I can Regenerate myself tomorrow but the experience would be... unpleasant.

I will not submit to any form of Mind Control. Never. Purge these thoughts from your mind.

I may also have contacts with which we might take console. None that spring to mind immediately but I certainly have powerful allies."

JBarca
2017-01-25, 11:00 PM
You are at an impasse. You sit in a swamp with two lizardfolk. One is possessed by a Demon you brought to this Plane, his very being corrupted by the Abyss. The other watches you and the possessed creature with suspicion and fear.

You have 24 hours. What do you do?

antoin
2017-02-02, 03:35 PM
Feinschmecker floats up into a tree and sits down, closing his eyes. After about a half an hour of waiting/relaxing/meditating/sleeping/something, he opens an eye and looks down at the the possessed lizard. Concern flashes across his face as he drifts down to the lizard, but as he touches down to the ground, he appears to understand.
"So, um...the host - your friend - has to go to the bathroom. The spirit is trying to torment him with it. I'll take him to do his business and make sure the spirit doesn't try any new shenanigans. Halfir, stay here with his friend."
Staring into the possessed lizard's eyes, he says rather calmly, "Now, now, you in there, let's not be petty. COME."
Feinschmecker walks off into the forest and the lizard follows, waddling awkwardly as if in significant intestinal distress.

The lizard is ordered to follow him with the awkward waddle. After the lizard relieves himself, Greater Teleport with him.

JBarca
2017-02-02, 05:13 PM
As you turn to go:
"No. I will take him. You wait here. What sort of fool do you take me for?"

antoin
2017-02-02, 05:47 PM
The possessed lizard brightens up at that idea.
"Yes I think that's a much better idea! Just us two. You and me...friend."

Feinschmecker abruptly stops. "Ah...no. I'm sorry. Unless you want to end up the same way as your friend, I'd highly recommend staying here.While I'm able to maintain a degree of control here, it might try things I'm not prepared for once you two are alone. I take you for no kind of fool. You are brave to want to protect your friend. Sometimes, bravery isn't enough to protect you, though. You and your tribe are safest if I go with him. Rest assured that we are here to help."
He and the lizard resume walking.
Diplom 54