PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny Forethought for shorter casting times

flappeercraft
2016-10-09, 11:16 AM
So right now I just checked the feat Uncanny Forethought due to reading another thread and I noticed something. It specifically says that you can use a unused and unfilled slot to cast a spell you have the spell mastery feat on as a standard action and for those you don't as a full round action. Would that mean that with this feat you can just not prepare a 9th level slot and cast Apocalypse from the Sky as a Standard/Full-round action instead of 24 hours or not prepare a 6th level slot and cast Contingency as a standard/Full-round action instead of 10 minutes?

Necroticplague
2016-10-09, 11:24 AM
Yep. This is an old and well known trick.

Endarire
2016-10-09, 11:45 PM
Similar to Spellguards of Silverymoon: The Fast Casters (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4014.0).

Crake
2016-10-10, 02:44 AM
Most people I know houserule this to be the standard casting time if you have spellmastery, or else increase the casting time as if applying metamagic to a spontaneous caster, so anything less than a full round action becomes a full round action, and anything more than a full round action has an extra round of casting.

I personally think that it's pretty obvious that that was the intended effect of the feat, and have yet to meet anyone who would actually play the feat in it's RAW state.

Zanos
2016-10-10, 03:56 AM
Also, since the artifact for your Apocalypse from the Sky has no listed cost, it's in your 15gp spell component pouch. Have fun!

Uncanny Forethought for casting times is well known cheese. I wouldn't try it unless you like getting booked with a rules book, though. It's a great wizard feat regardless.