PDA

View Full Version : Count up initiative system in 3.5

jorulfr
2016-10-09, 03:57 PM
Hello my fellow roleplayers, has any of you tried using the Count up initiativ system from the game Hackmaster, converted to use in dnd 3.5?
It seems to make combat more fluid and play out in "real time" instead of rounds.

I am really enthusiastic about it, and im hoping someone else has had the same idea.

In essence, the system works as such
- the combat starts at second 1. And then each second or "count" everyone acts, at the same time.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-09, 04:40 PM
Would initiative still be a useful stat, or would it be removed?

How would you resolve, say, the case when one person casts antimagic field, and another casts fireball, on the same count? In base 3.5, there is a defined order of operations, but if everyone acts at the same time, it becomes unclear what happens.

jorulfr
2016-10-09, 04:44 PM
Initiative would still be valuable, i imagine it would decide who strikes first in close combat, and could also be used for the situation you are suggesting. The opposing spells could also be resolved with opposed rolls by the casters.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-09, 04:59 PM
Initiative would still be valuable, i imagine it would decide who strikes first in close combat, and could also be used for the situation you are suggesting. The opposing spells could also be resolved with opposed rolls by the casters.
If you let initiative decide whose spell applies first, and who strikes first in close combat, you are right back at having 'rounds' with successive 'turns'.

I think that modifying the game to work with an 'all at once'-style tactical mode, you need to modify action types, which entails such a comprehensive overhaul that I doubt it's worth bothering.

Zanos
2016-10-09, 05:01 PM
Sounds really irritating, to be honest.

jorulfr
2016-10-09, 05:09 PM
Well, yes and no. Yes because there has to be some order to who strikes first. And no because the system entails changes to many things, movement is changed for example, so instead of 30ft, you move 5ft per "count", this forces players to change their plans or tactics on the fly, in relation to how the enemy moves. It also requires the players to be attentive to the events of the combat, you cant move, attack and sit back until it is your turn, barring the occasional save here and there. If you do so, your character would be standing still, doing nothing while the rest of the combat moves on.

TheIronGolem
2016-10-09, 06:29 PM
This sounds like something the game needs to be constructed around from the outset. I don't think trying to backport it to a turn-based system is likely to result in anything but an unplayable mess.

jorulfr
2016-10-10, 02:44 AM
I will admit that it will be a bigger conversion, than i initially thought. But it will be worth it in the end i believe, in my eyes it eliminates the inattentive player issue, and also introduces some realism to the combat.

grarrrg
2016-10-10, 02:59 AM
realism to the combat.

*eye twitches*

Chronikoce
2016-10-10, 05:41 AM
I thought about it then considered the enormous work it would entail and decided instead that I'd rather just play Hackmaster.

The system they designed is really awesome but it is not really modular and trying to drop it into 3.5 means altering basically the entire combat system.