PDA

View Full Version : Are only mods allowed to use red text?

radthemad4
2016-10-09, 04:35 PM
EDIT:isn't red text for mods?
I never really thought about it before and figured I'd ask just to be safe.

I intend/ed to use it for character dialogue for no real reason and could easily pick some other color.

Manga Shoggoth
2016-10-09, 05:13 PM
When a Mod is acting in their capacity as a Moderator, they will post in red text. They will also usually preface their posts with a Mod name in bold; this is a sort of alter ego for them. When they post in this manner, pay close attention to what they have to say. While they have assigned subforums, they are authorized to act in any subforum.

I'm sure the Mods will correct me if this is wrong, but my understanding is that the rule isn't that only Mods can use red text, but that when a Mod wishes to post as a Mod they will use red text. Thus, when a Mod is using red text you should pay attention to what they are posting.

If you are not a Mod then the colour of your text has no meaning.

There is a "please don't" that refers to excessive use of formatting (including colour), but that is a different issue.

EDIT: There was a similar query last year: Meaning of Color Text (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?486682-Meaning-of-Color-Text) - Please note Rawhide's comments in the final post in the thread.

Rockphed
2016-10-09, 05:41 PM
Looking through the rules, I don't think that only the mods are allowed to use red text. But, if you impersonate a mod with red text, you will definitely be in trouble. By impersonating a mod, I mean:

The Mod I Just Made Up: I am impersonating a mod telling people off.

You also aren't allowed to edit mod edits to your posts.

So, if you post looks like

scrubbed

That needs to be left alone.

Rawhide
2016-10-09, 07:29 PM
Please don't use the specific (or similar) shade of red that moderators use anywhere in your normal posts.

Use as character speech in a roleplay thread is acceptable. However, you might consider using a darker shade to avoid confusion.