PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Archetype - Way of the Sacred Fist

jaappleton
2016-10-09, 05:37 PM
After seeing the Theurge from Unearthed Arcana, I got inspired to utilize the features of other classes as archetypes for another. So I thought, "If Theurge in 5E is a Wizard with a bit of Cleric, what about using Cleric for the Monk in the same way?"
I've put my own thoughts on certain things in parentheses

(And forgive my terrible formatting, I'm posting this from a mobile device)
---

Way of the Sacred Fist
Many Monks follow a Divine calling, often acting as guards for priests and clerics, or tasked with defending temples. Others take to a life of adventuring, tasked by the Monastic Order to combat the enemies of their Deity.

Blessed Knowledge
You can use your Ki to channel divine energy to cast certain spells. Beginning at 3rd level, when you choose this Monastic Tradition, you can spend 2 Ki points to cast Bless and Protection from Evil & Good. Additionally, choose a Cleric Domain appropriate to your Deity. You also gain the ability to cast the level one spells on domains bonus spell list. No material components are required for these spells.
You can also cast the Thaumaturgy Cantrip at will.

(Shadow Monks also get some spells, and some of theirs are actually 2nd level spells. These are all level 1 spells. If your Domain spell already grants Bless or Protection from Evil & Good, work with your DM to select a new Cleric spell to gain, as appropriate to your Deity)

Sacred Energy
Starting at 6th level in this Monastic Tradition, your divine connection to your Deity has grown stronger. You gain the level 2 Channel Divinity feature associated with your Domain.
(In this instance, any usage of Cleric levels, such as the Light Domain's ability, instead uses Monk levels)

Divine Strikes
You can now use your Channel Divinity feature twice per short rest. Also, your Divine connection is now strong enough to empower your unarmed strikes. Beginning at 11th level, whenever you hit a creature with your Flurry of Blows, you deal additional damage with each attack equal to your Wisdom modifier. The damage type generated is based on your Domain. If your Domain would grant you multiple choices, you're free to select one choice at the end of a long rest.
Arcane - Force
Death - Necrotic
Knowledge - Psychic
Life - Radiant
Light - Fire or Radiant
Nature - Fire, Cold, or Lightning
Tempest - Lightning or Thunder
Trickery - Poison
War - Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing

(Remember, this is only for Flurry of Blows, not all Unarmed Strikes. Clerics normally get a second Channel Divinity use per short rest at lv6)

Ki Mastery
Your divine connection reaches a new height, a connection stronger than most of your Order could ever hope to achieve. You gain the ability to cast the 5th level spells granted by your Domain's bonus spell list, without the use of Material Components. Each spell costs 6 Ki.
(The Four Elements Monk also has 5th level spells costing 6 Ki)

---
I may change Ki Mastery to something more thematically appropriate based on each Domain, like altering the lv17 Cleric features. As they currently are, some are useless on a Monk, like the Light Cleric's. Also, a lv17 Monk feature is typically offensive, and some Cleric ones are mostly utility (like Tempest). So I'm very open to that, but as it sits currently, what do you think?

Lalliman
2016-10-10, 12:36 PM
It looks quite fair to me. I'm terrible at estimating the balance of anything involving spells though, so you should really get a second opinion on that.