PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? (Fighter Champion)

Ryuu Hayato
2016-10-09, 06:13 PM
I have one question too.

My character is lvl 19 Human Champion.

My stats: STR 20; DEX 14; CON 18; INT 10; WIS 12; CHA 14.
HP: 194
AC: 20
Saves: STR +13; DEX +4; CON +12; INT +2; WIS +9; CHA +4.
Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting and Defense
Feats: Resilient (Wisdom); Great Weapon Master.
Magical Items: Luckstone; Frostband; Cloak of Protection; Mithril Plate.
Iniciative: +6
Skills: Acrobatic + 6; Animal Handling + 2; Arcana +1; Athletics +12; Deception +3; History +7; Insight +2; Intimidation +3; Investigation +1; Medicine +2; Nature +1; Perception +8; Performance +3; Persuasion +9; Religion +1; Sleight of Hand +6; Stealth +6; Survival +2.
Weapons: Greatsword +11 to hit, 3d6+5 damage; Longbow +8 to hit, 1d8+2 damage.

Shoud I put the last 2 points in Constitution to have +19 HP, +1 on CON saves and checks, and have +10 HP on Survivor instead +9? Or put +2 on Dex to have +1 on all dex saves, checks, iniciative and sometimes bow attacks? Or another thing? :smallannoyed:

Klorox
2016-10-09, 06:51 PM
CON, no doubt.

Gastronomie
2016-10-09, 07:07 PM
Apart from CON20, Blade Mastery (UA feat) seems like a good option as well, especially in conjunction with GWM.

Sigreid
2016-10-09, 07:24 PM
Con, hands down in my opinion.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-10-10, 01:43 AM
Thank you guys! Anyone else have more opinions?

djreynolds
2016-10-10, 02:02 AM
Lucky, lucky, lucky. I know you have a luck stone, but you can always use a reroll

You could take defensive duelist and use a rapier/shield when times are tough, +6 to AC is nice to get, you can use a finesse weapon with strength.

I had a similar build but half orc champion shield master, but he fought with a short sword shield and I used defensive duelist, and at level 19 I took a level in rogue for expertise in athletics, +17 not shabby when laying people out.

But I might consider, since you have great weapon master, lucky or mage slayer

I rank survivor just under the wizards signature spell, survivor is that good

Specter
2016-10-10, 06:11 PM
If you wanna wreck those hit points, take Tough for 38 extra hp!

Sigreid
2016-10-10, 07:19 PM
If you wanna wreck those hit points, take Tough for 38 extra hp!

IMO the extra hp/round regeneration trumps 40 extra hp at level 20.

Citan
2016-10-11, 03:13 AM
I have one question too.

My character is lvl 19 Human Champion.

My stats: STR 20; DEX 14; CON 18; INT 10; WIS 12; CHA 14.
HP: 194
AC: 20
Saves: STR +13; DEX +4; CON +12; INT +2; WIS +9; CHA +4.
Fighting Style: Archery and Defense
Feats: Resilient (Wisdom); Great Weapon Master.
Magical Items: Luckstone; Frostband; Cloak of Protection; Mithril Plate.
Iniciative: +6
Skills: Acrobatic + 6; Animal Handling + 2; Arcana +1; Athletics +12; Deception +3; History +7; Insight +2; Intimidation +3; Investigation +1; Medicine +2; Nature +1; Perception +8; Performance +3; Persuasion +9; Religion +1; Sleight of Hand +6; Stealth +6; Survival +2.
Weapons: Longsword +11 to hit, 3d6+5 damage; Longbow +10 to hit, 1d8+2 damage.

Shoud I put the last 2 points in Constitution to have +19 HP, +1 on CON saves and checks, and have +10 HP on Survivor instead +9? Or put +2 on Dex to have +1 on all dex saves, checks, iniciative and sometimes bow attacks?:smallannoyed:
Hi!
Honestly, you have such good stats already that i would rather suggest taking a feat: Mobile, Mage Slayer, Alert, Lucky, Sentinel or Tough are all great ways to either expand your general offense or get a small specialization.

As far as ability bump go, I'll be the black sheep and draw my vote for DEX. You already have great stats all around and beastly Constitution saves/checks, so the occasions where you are hurt on those must be pretty rare. And +1HP per turn at your level, frankly, I don't think you will really feel the difference when facing monsters of your level that usually deal >20 HP in one set of attacks. Considering that most fights lasts 5-6 rounds, 10 worst cases, if there are monsters that can put you down half your HP in one or two rounds, regaining 10 instead of 9 HP won't usually change anything imo (especially since it doesn't trigger if you were dropped to 0). Where Survivor shines is in allowing you to regain some HP while still having your full turn available, and limit the need of resource-costly healing because when the fight ends you "automatically" regains HP until you are half-life again.

Whereas +1 DEX saves means a slightly better chance to avoid/halve the damage of frequently used spells that would otherwise remove a significant to large chunk of your HP in one go. It won't make the difference often, but when it makes it you will be glad you took it. :=)

djreynolds
2016-10-11, 03:58 AM
Hi!
Honestly, you have such good stats already that i would rather suggest taking a feat: Mobile, Mage Slayer, Alert, Lucky, Sentinel or Tough are all great ways to either expand your general offense or get a small specialization.

As far as ability bump go, I'll be the black sheep and draw my vote for DEX. You already have great stats all around and beastly Constitution saves/checks, so the occasions where you are hurt on those must be pretty rare. And +1HP per turn at your level, frankly, I don't think you will really feel the difference when facing monsters of your level that usually deal >20 HP in one set of attacks. Considering that most fights lasts 5-6 rounds, 10 worst cases, if there are monsters that can put you down half your HP in one or two rounds, regaining 10 instead of 9 HP won't usually change anything imo (especially since it doesn't trigger if you were dropped to 0). Where Survivor shines is in allowing you to regain some HP while still having your full turn available, and limit the need of resource-costly healing because when the fight ends you "automatically" regains HP until you are half-life again.

Whereas +1 DEX saves means a slightly better chance to avoid/halve the damage of frequently used spells that would otherwise remove a significant to large chunk of your HP in one go. It won't make the difference often, but when it makes it you will be glad you took it. :=)

Mr Citan is always on the money.

I agree lucky would be sweet and mage slayer has both offensive and defensive benefits. Alert could be helpful, a 20th level assassin could ruin anyone's day.

I would hate to say this also, but you have survivor now, one of the best class features, you could grab a level of rogue for expertise in athletics and perception. Give up a 4th attack.

And since you have GWM, you could always grab PAM if you find a nasty polearm laying around.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-10-16, 09:08 PM
I really like all ideias, thank you guys. Sentinel seems good. More ideias?

djreynolds
2016-10-17, 12:25 AM
I like lucky. I like a level of rogue for expertise in athletics, but since you are without a shield, its not worth it

Mobile is nice, but you can't be running away. Magic initiate is cool.

But your first idea is best, plus up con.

But I want to see what you do, not many 20th level champions out there?

Ryuu Hayato
2016-10-18, 12:04 AM
I like lucky. I like a level of rogue for expertise in athletics, but since you are without a shield, its not worth it

Mobile is nice, but you can't be running away. Magic initiate is cool.

But your first idea is best, plus up con.

But I want to see what you do, not many 20th level champions out there?

Champion is better than people think. With 14 DEX you have +5 in EVERY DEX check, and this is better than seems. The problem is the people don't wanna play the game as a group. When you realize that champ is the guy you will buff, you'll see the power of archtype. You only need items that buff your abilitys like luckstone, ring/cloak of protection and weapons with extra die/dice.

- LUCKSTONE = +1 on every ability check. Look, you have +5 with 14 dex, with luckstone is +6 on every dex check. You are a pseudo rogue.
- FLAME TONGUE/ FROSTBITE = Weapons with extra die/dice is/are great on fighters, but better with Champion, because you can crit more offen. Imagine a crit with frostbite (6d6+str =17,45 with GWF) or flametounge (8d6+str = 21,6 with GWF).
- RING/CLOAK OF PROTECTION = With second fighting style, you can pick defense and don't bother so much with AC. You'll be fine, belive me.

Luckstone (uncommon); flame tongue (rare); frostbite (very rare); ring of protection (rare); cloak of protection (uncommon). See, you don't need +3 weapon/shield/plate to be effetive as people complain.

Fighters are great with buff and magical items, but Champions are awesome! :smallwink:

djreynolds
2016-10-18, 12:23 AM
And when you stand next to the paladin..... you also get his aura of protection and courage.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-18, 05:39 AM
Bumping Con is the way to go.

2D8HP
2016-10-18, 07:01 AM
You got all the way to level 19 single class?
Awesome!
If allowed, I would've been tempted by a level in Rogue (to get Expertise) and/or two levels in Ranger (Natural Explorer and another Fighting Style).
Would you say that sticking with Fighter (Survivor etc.) was better?

INDYSTAR188
2016-10-18, 07:14 AM
I noticed your build lists longsword in its attack area, you own a frostbrand, you do not have Great Weapon Fighting, and you have GWM.

-Could you retrain archery for GWF?
- ask your DM if the Frostbrand can be a great sword.
- I think you're already so bad ass at 'Fighting' I would probably take a feat. I'm partial to the lucky feat but YMMV.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-10-18, 08:19 PM
I noticed your build lists longsword in its attack area, you own a frostbrand, you do not have Great Weapon Fighting, and you have GWM.

-Could you retrain archery for GWF?
- ask your DM if the Frostbrand can be a great sword.
- I think you're already so bad ass at 'Fighting' I would probably take a feat. I'm partial to the lucky feat but YMMV.

See the first post. I have some errata. :smallsmile:

The problem of don't taking 20 on CON is Survive. I realy like the idea of taking one more feat (sentinel).

I realy don't like Lucky. It's a powerfull feat, I know, but sentinel can do so much more on battlefield. It's give to you a extra attack in reaction, if the opponent try to move. So, you'll attack five to six times, or eight to ten with action surge, on a round (if I crit, I can attack as bonus action), and reduce opponent movement to zero.

Awesome!
If allowed, I would've been tempted by a level in Rogue (to get Expertise) and/or two levels in Ranger (Natural Explorer and another Fighting Style).

Personal choice :smalltongue:. I don't imagine this character with multiclass. I have the same table about seven to eight years, and I always be this fighter, and I realy like the class.

Multiclass is strong in some conditions, but when the DM put barriers to your combo, you'll be very weak. Expertise is great! But I wouldn't put it on Athletics, because the most monsters don't have proficience, and when the are to strong to worth the expertise they are more than large, so you can't do anything.

djreynolds
2016-10-19, 04:30 AM
Awesome!

You know mt last champion had a level of rogue for expertise in athletics and had shield master. +17 to trip someone up instead of +11 is powerful.

Mage slayer also deserves a look by you, many creatures you face now may all have some minor casting ability.

I do like sentinel, but you definitely need a buddy upfront with you.

Arkhios
2016-10-19, 05:52 AM
sentinel can do so much more on battlefield. It's give to you a extra attack in reaction, if the opponent try to move. So, you'll attack five to six times, or eight to ten with action surge, on a round (if I crit, I can attack as bonus action), and reduce opponent movement to zero.

Not sure you had that right, but Sentinel does not give you another reaction on your turn, and neither does Action Surge. You only ever have 1 reaction, and 1 bonus action on any given turn.