PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] 6-inch Man

Thurbane
2016-10-09, 07:03 PM
I'm begninng to think this may be a bit much for the Q&A thread, and I want to open it up for further discussion, so here goes:

Q 183

Question(s) about the Rod of Wonder; in particular, this:

66-69 Reduce wielder to 1/12 height (no save).

A). Is this effect permanent?
B). Is it subject to Dispel Magic/Break Enchantment
C). Assuming the wielder to be a 6ft tall Human, he becomes 6" tall. If I'm reading everything correctly, he is now Fine, rather than Medium. Does he take the normal ability modifiers involved in changing size categories (-10 Str, +8 Dex, -2 Con - assuming I'm reading everything correctly)?
D). The effect mentions nothing about gear, so I'm assuming all of his gear remains at normal size?

Thoughts? Also, what are the possibilities for using this guy as a PC/NPC?

Cheers - T

InvisibleBison
2016-10-09, 08:33 PM
My opinion on the matter:

A) I'm inclined to say the effect is permanent; unlike some other rod of wonder effects, it doesn't list a duration.
B) Dispel magic only works against spells affecting someone; I don't think it would work in this case, since the shrinking isn't duplicating a spell. Break enchantment, on the other hand, can deal with effects from magic items, so I think it would reverse the shrinking.
C) I'm not convinced that Table 4-2 in the Monster Manual is a general rule for size changes, but if you accept that it is, then the shrunken guy's abilities would change that way.
D) I agree that the gear wouldn't change size.

As for using him, well... He'd probably make a really good spy. He's got a good Dex modifier, big size bonus to Hide checks, ability to slip through incredibly tiny holes, and a 30 foot move speed. His combat ability is hampered by his minuscule Strength and no reach, so he should probably use ranged weapons.

bekeleven
2016-10-09, 09:48 PM
Assuming the wielder to be a 6ft tall Human, he becomes 5" tall.How did someone divide feet by 12 and get the wrong number of inches?

Ruethgar
2016-10-09, 09:53 PM
Do note that height is the only thing changing, not width, depth, reach, or weight. You would be a 6" tall pancake.

Thurbane
2016-10-09, 09:59 PM
How did someone divide feet by 12 and get the wrong number of inches?

Well, I feel incredibly stupid now, thanks. :smallredface:

In my defence, I was doing this on a break at work, and I also am more used my native metric system.

Does this push him from Fine to Diminutive?

MisterKaws
2016-10-09, 10:14 PM
Mountain Raging Stoneblessed Barbarian Tibbits are two feet tall Large creatures, and Kensai Monks can add sizing to their bodies and become 500ft tall Medium creatures(with a huge penalty to attacks because they can't actually move their limbs properly - like realistic oversized creatures), or even 1nm tall Medium creatures. Height means nothing to D&D's size classes.

Do note that height is the only thing changing, not width, depth, reach, or weight. You would be a 6" tall pancake.

That's even sillier than my interpretations. I'm impressed.

Venger
2016-10-10, 12:36 AM
I've got a build in my bank that works with this as the gimmick:

hin disciple monk 1/telepath 3/HD monk 2/black dog 5/psychic assassin 10

strongheart halfling*

str 8 dex 14 con 14 int 18 wis 12 cha 8*
after racial
str 6 dex 16 con 14 int 18 wis 12 cha 8*

1-least dragonmark (hospitality)*
1- (strongheart halfling bonus) feat
1- (monk bonus) underfoot combat
2- (psion bonus feat)*
3- telepathic affinity (mindlink) *
4- (monk bonus) imp trip
6- expanded knowledge (compression) *
9- confound the big folk
12- feat*
15- practiced manifester (psychic assassin)
18- feat*

it's fairly self explanatory: make use of confound the big folk to skulk, collect aoos, trip, and trigger your sneak attack. use the boosts to stealth from your diminuitive size to fuel death attack and kill people without their knowledge. psychic assassin provides hips, helping with stealth, special abilities (so feats), and more SA. mind cripple is especially attractive since it's always a good idea to deal int damage to enemies.

this build can deploy confound the big folk against essentially anyone (tiny and up) but if you cursed this character with the rod of wonder and made her 2 inches tall, then you could affect anyone except other fine monsters, plus either drop EK for compression and have an extra feat, or keep it for the stat boosts. even if you're capped at fine, and can't go fine--, you'll still enjoy the dex and ac bonuses.

works very well as an NPC: an invisible gnat that pokes you in the toe and makes you stupid, then when you pass out at int 0, kills you.

this is regina phalange, toe hunter. hope your PCs enjoy