View Full Version : Which animal/magical beast has the highest land speed?

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 12:21 AM
Hi Playgrounders,

I need your expert help to find an eligible creature for the bottom half of the Tauric template, that has as high a base land speed as possible.

1) Templates are allowed, but no repeating.
Ie Paragon kobold/horse is allowed, so is Tauric kobold/Paragon horse.
But no Paragon Tauric kobold/Paragon horse.

2) LA does not matter (because I just need to make an effigy of this creature), but end result must have less than 9 RHD.

3) All official books/online content by Wizards are allowed, plus Dragon Magazine, plus DragonLance.

4) Speed must be permanent (so the Cheetah's 10x speed boost 1/hour does not count)

5) Flight speed is not required, nor are combat abilities.

The animal with the fastest land speed I have found so far is the Valenar Warhorse from
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051114a

It has a land speed of 90 ft. So I can add magebred/warbeast templates to it.

Are there any faster animals or magical beast I can use as a base for the Tauric template?

ShurikVch
2016-10-10, 06:50 AM
Shadow Creature*-Petitioner (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineMinions.htm#creatingaPetitioner) (Abyss)*-Nether Hound-Fiendish*-Fast Zombie-Paragon Creature-Dark-Three-Headed Sirrush (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/sirrush.htm)

Speed calculation:
120' - Three-Headed Sirrush
+10' - Quick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) trait
+10' - Dark creature template
X3 - Paragon Creature template
+30' - Fast Zombie template (Libris Mortis)
+10' - was made with Nimble Bones feat (Libris Mortis)
+10' - was made with Uncanny Speed feat (Dragon #312)
+10' - Nether Hound template (Dragon #322)
X1.5 - Shadow Creature template (Manual of the Planes)
+5' - Dash feat (Complete Warrior)

Total speed: 725'

*Notes:
Fiendish - because Nether Hound must be sentient
Petitioner - to cut down the HD, Abyss - to don't get Planar Commitment (also, Kiaransalee is in the Abyss)
Shadow Creature - not just give X1.5 speed, but also change type to Magical Beast, which is legal for Tauric Creature template

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 07:24 AM
+30' - Sapphire Sprint and Improved Essentia Capacity feats (MoI)
+30' - Horseshoes of speed if it's horselike (or is intelligent and has UMD) (DMG)
+30' - Animal Devotion feat (CC)
+10' - Speed of Thought and light armor (XPH)
+10' - Skin of the Construct (Celerity) feat (CPsi)
+10' - Shaundakul's boots (add to the horseshoes or to some anklets of translocation); also doubles speed for 5 min 1/day (MoF)
+10' - Quick trait (DMG)
+10' - Shape Soulmeld (Lamia Belt) feat and bind to waist (MoI)
+10' - Improved Speed feat (Drac)
+10' - Fleet of Foot feat (PGtF)
+10' - Divine Vigor feat (if it has turn/rebuke undead) (RHoD)
+10' - (Greater) collar of umbral metamorphosis for the dark creature template (ToM)
+10' - Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) feat to bind for (Celerity) (Mind's Eye Archives)
+5' - Quickness armor enhancement (XPH)
+5' - Panther mask (MIC)
+5' - Armor crystal of alacrity (MIC)
×2 - Rapid wrath weapon enhancement (Ghostwalk)
×2 - Horned helm (MIC)

There's more you can add, but I don't think you'll be able to get a mount with divine ranks, unless you stumble across Sleipnir somewhere.

Note that all of the multipliers stack, since speed and distance are explicitly treated as real world values.

MisterKaws
2016-10-10, 08:06 AM
There's more you can add, but I don't think you'll be able to get a mount with divine ranks, unless you stumble across Sleipnir somewhere.

Sleipnir is just a Legendary Horse, so no divine ranks.

Also, I think it'd be better to use flight speed and start it off with a Wyrmling Yellow Dragon template-cheesed into a magical beast.

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 08:22 AM
Shadow Creature*-Petitioner (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineMinions.htm#creatingaPetitioner) (Abyss)*-Nether Hound-Fiendish*-Fast Zombie-Paragon Creature-Dark-Three-Headed Sirrush (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/sirrush.htm)

Speed calculation:
+10' - Quick (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) trait

*Notes:
Petitioner - to cut down the HD, Abyss - to don't get Planar Commitment (also, Kiaransalee is in the Abyss)
Shadow Creature - not just give X1.5 speed, but also change type to Magical Beast, which is legal for Tauric Creature template

ShurikVch, that's amazing and absolutely beautiful!

I've read through the petitioner template several times before and never thought of using it to limit RHD. That's genius!

Also, I've always looked only at the Lords of Madness version of the Shadow template as it's newer than Manual of the Planes, I didn't realize that the older version straight out changes the type to Magical Beast even if it's not applied to an animal.

Gaming group normally allows older versions on case by case basis, but if if not, I think I can play around with the order in which the templates are applied. Maybe try to fit Pseudonatural and Dragon Spawn Abomination in there are well muahahahaha

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 08:43 AM
+30' - Sapphire Sprint and Improved Essentia Capacity feats (MoI)
+30' - Horseshoes of speed if it's horselike (or is intelligent and has UMD) (DMG)
+30' - Animal Devotion feat (CC)
+10' - Speed of Thought and light armor (XPH)
+10' - Skin of the Construct (Celerity) feat (CPsi)
+10' - Shaundakul's boots (add to the horseshoes or to some anklets of translocation); also doubles speed for 5 min 1/day (MoF)
+10' - Quick trait (DMG)
+10' - Shape Soulmeld (Lamia Belt) feat and bind to waist (MoI)
+10' - Improved Speed feat (Drac)
+10' - Fleet of Foot feat (PGtF)
+10' - Divine Vigor feat (if it has turn/rebuke undead) (RHoD)
+10' - (Greater) collar of umbral metamorphosis for the dark creature template (ToM)
+10' - Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) feat to bind for (Celerity) (Mind's Eye Archives)
+5' - Quickness armor enhancement (XPH)
+5' - Panther mask (MIC)
+5' - Armor crystal of alacrity (MIC)
×2 - Rapid wrath weapon enhancement (Ghostwalk)
×2 - Horned helm (MIC)

Note that all of the multipliers stack, since speed and distance are explicitly treated as real world values.

Thanks mate, definitely going to cram in as many of these as possible :D

In my searches, I also re-discovered Elemental grafts, particularly the part where each Air Elemental graft beyond the first grants +5 untyped bonus to land speed, so that's more speed I can squeeze out.

As to Divine Ranks, since I'm using effigy shenanigans, I was planning to apply the Einherjar template (3.5 update booklet) to the humanoid part of Tauric. The +30 to speed was what I wanted, but I'm not sure if the Divine Rank 0 will be removed by being an effigy...

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 08:49 AM
Sleipnir is just a Legendary Horse, so no divine ranks.

Also, I think it'd be better to use flight speed and start it off with a Wyrmling Yellow Dragon template-cheesed into a magical beast.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Are there any templates besides Shadow that can change a Dragon into a Magical Beast? If so, Mercury Dragons are on the table for me as well!

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 08:57 AM
Sleipnir is just a Legendary Horse, so no divine ranks.He's the son of Loki, Norse god of mischief, though. He should be at least hero deity status. Is he statted up somewhere?

Also, I think it'd be better to use flight speed and start it off with a Wyrmling Yellow Dragon template-cheesed into a magical beast.In that case, let me add the following:

+20' - Improved Speed (for flight only)
×2 - Speed while falling (add boots of gravity [Planar Handbook] to make all flight count as falling, regardless of direction)
×2 overland speed - Feathered wings graft

And if you count spells, you've also got all of the following:

+50 + 5'* Footsteps of the divine (Fharlanghn)
+30 + 5'* Cloud wings (flight only)
+30 + 5'* Aerial alacrity (+1 to flight maneuverability)
×10 + 5'* Fly like an arrow (flight only, do nothing but move, must move in a straight line, and must have taken a full move the previous round)
×2 + 5'* Wind at back (overland only)

*Note that each of these spells is boosted by an additional 5' due to the special holy symbol in Complete Champion (pg 133).

An acorn of far travel spell, if cast on an acorn from a tree in a fast time plane, gives you a lot more rounds, potentially giving you nigh infinite speed. Just make sure it's timeless with regards to magic (so your acorn won't run out of juice, like, ever), aging, and other biological processes (so you won't die, and you won't have to feed yourself nigh infinite amounts of food).

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 09:27 AM
He's the son of Loki, Norse god of mischief, though. He should be at least hero deity status. Is he statted up somewhere?

Sleipnir is stated in Deities and Demigods pg 169:
18HD Legendary Horse, Large Animal.

Was there a rule somewhere that increase speed for each pair of legs?

Necroticplague
2016-10-10, 09:45 AM

Speed calculation:

*Notes:

Doesn't work.

Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Shadow creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype and are native to the Plane of Shadow.
Nether Hound would be Undead, so adding Shadow to that would still be an Undead creature.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 09:51 AM
Doesn't work.

Nether Hound would be Undead, so adding Shadow to that would still be an Undead creature.Cast aspect of the wolf on it, maybe? Are there any effects that add the shadow template after the fact?

ShurikVch
2016-10-10, 10:17 AM
Doesn't work.

Nether Hound would be Undead, so adding Shadow to that would still be an Undead creature.Except it is not what RAW says:
Creating a Shadow Creature
"Shadow" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). The creature's type changes to "magical beast." It otherwise uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted below.Also, example creature:
Sample Shadow Creature
Shadow Wight
Medium-Size Magical Beast

MisterKaws
2016-10-10, 10:27 AM
Thanks for pointing that out!

Are there any templates besides Shadow that can change a Dragon into a Magical Beast? If so, Mercury Dragons are on the table for me as well!

Yellow Dragons are the fastest dragons. Not only do they have better flight speed at Very Young(200ft, 6HD), but they also have Good maneuverability at all levels, since they fly like spirit dragons(Wingless innate pseudo-magic flight, yet considered as Ex. - actually, it's an innate ability, which is like an Ex. ability, just that it can't be copied, stealed, disabled or changed by anything short of a Sarrukh, so even better - for some odd reason). They also have Swim and Burrow speeds, so that's even more mobility, even if they do have a better land speed, which doesn't actually do anything when you can just fly.

Oh, but you WILL have to turn them into Half-Goristro, to up their Very Young's Small size to Medium, and then Half-Mercury Dragon or some other Dragon to turn them back into Dragon Type.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 10:31 AM

Speed calculation:

*Notes:
Shadow Creature - not just give X1.5 speed, but also change type to Magical Beast, which is legal for Tauric Creature templateI've got that beat by just a bit.

30' base (as an average)
+50' + 5' Footsteps of the divine (Fharlanghn) / special holy symbol
+30' Sapphire Sprint
+30' Horseshoes of speed
+30' Epic Divine Vigor
+30' Animal Devotion (Cheetah Sprint)
+10' Speed of Thought
+10' Skin of the Construct (Celerity)
+10' Shaundakul's boots
+10' Quick trait
+10' Lamia belt
+10' Improved Speed
+10' Fleet of Foot
+10' Divine Vigor
+10' Dark creature template
+10' Astral Vambraces (Celerity)
+5' Quickness armor
+5' Panther mask
+5' Armor crystal of alacrity
×2 Rapid wrath weapon enhancement
×2 Horned helm
×5 Run feat
×2 Feathered wings (flight only)

+30' + 5' Cloud wings (flight only) / special holy symbol
+30' + 5' Aerial alacrity (flight only, +1 to flight maneuverability) / special holy symbol
+20' Improved Speed (flight)
×10 + 5' Fly like an arrow (flight only, do nothing but move, must move in a straight line, and must have taken a full move the previous round) / special holy symbol
×2 + 5' Wind at back (overland only) / special holy symbol
×2 Falling flight (see acorn of far travel and boots of gravity's subjective directional gravity)

×10 Acorn of far travel

That's 1,280' base land speed, 5,920' base flight speed, and when traveling as fast as possible overland using all of the above multipliers (including the fast time demiplane and the Run feat) and boots of the wanderer to auto-succeed at Con checks for running really fast for long periods of time, that's jacked up to 5,920,000' per round, 672,727.2727etc mph, or mach 876.78 -- nearly 877 times the speed of sound.

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 10:43 AM
Doesn't work.

Nether Hound would be Undead, so adding Shadow to that would still be an Undead creature.

Except it is not what RAW says:Also, example creature:

Necroticplague is referring to the newer 3.5 Shadow Creature template in Lords of Madness. This version only changes creatures of the Animal type to Magical Beast.

ShurikVch is referring to the older 3.0 Shadow Creature template in Manual of the Planes. This version flat out changes the creature into a Magical Beast regardless of previous Type.

I might actually be able to get my group to approve the older template though. We need to discuss.

Hope that clears things up :)

Necroticplague
2016-10-10, 10:46 AM
Except it is not what RAW says:Also, example creature:

Yes it is. The Shadow template was updated in Lords of Madness, where it states what I said earlier. For example, the sample creature is an Aberration after having the template applied.
Here's what the template starts with, up to the relevant part:

"Shadow" is a template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, undead, or vermin (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A shadow creature uses all the base creature's statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature's Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type: Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Shadow creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype and are native to the Plane of Shadow.
and here's the start of the sample creature:

Sample Shadow Creature
Shadow Choker
Small Aberration (Extraplanar)

EDIT: Darn, ninja'd by OP.

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 10:56 AM
Yellow Dragons are the fastest dragons. Not only do they have better flight speed at Very Young(200ft, 6HD), but they also have Good maneuverability at all levels, since they fly like spirit dragons(Wingless innate pseudo-magic flight, yet considered as Ex. - actually, it's an innate ability, which is like an Ex. ability, just that it can't be copied, stealed, disabled or changed by anything short of a Sarrukh, so even better - for some odd reason). They also have Swim and Burrow speeds, so that's even more mobility, even if they do have a better land speed, which doesn't actually do anything when you can just fly.

Oh, but you WILL have to turn them into Half-Goristro, to up their Very Young's Small size to Medium, and then Half-Mercury Dragon or some other Dragon to turn them back into Dragon Type.

That sounds really good! Can you let me know which book I can find Yellow Dragons in?

As to Half-Goristro, do you mean the Customized Half-Fiend Template variant here?
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 11:01 AM
I've got that beat by just a bit.

That's 1,280' base land speed, 5,920' base flight speed, and when traveling as fast as possible overland using all of the above multipliers (including the fast time demiplane and the Run feat) and boots of the wanderer to auto-succeed at Con checks for running really fast for long periods of time, that's jacked up to 5,920,000' per round, 672,727.2727etc mph, or mach 876.78 -- nearly 877 times the speed of sound.

And, being the total munchkin I am, the obvious answer is to combine both :D

ShurikVch
2016-10-10, 12:47 PM
Necroticplague is referring to the newer 3.5 Shadow Creature template in Lords of Madness. This version only changes creatures of the Animal type to Magical Beast.1. Manual of the Planes was updated (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD35_Manual_of_the_Planes.zip) to 3.5, thus - legal 3.5 book
2. Manual of the Planes is primary source for everything related to planes
(Note: later Planar Handbook updated Anarchic and Axiomatic Creature templates, but don't touched Shadow Creature. Coincidence?)

Yes it is. The Shadow template was updated in Lords of MadnessReally?

Does it says something like: "The shadow template originally appeared in the Manual of the Planes, but has since been updated with the following changes"?

Just because something have the same name and was printed later, it doesn't mean it automatically replace it's older namesake:
Effigy in Monster Manual II don't gone away after the Complete Arcane with it's Effigy Creature template
Force domain from the Spell Compendium don't deprived Tharizdun of his most powerful spell
Players in Rokugan would be hard-pressed to fulfill faerûnian [regional] requirements for Magic in the Blood
Pseudonatural Creature in Complete Arcane don't nerfed Pseudonatural Troll in Epic Level Handbook

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 10:46 PM
That sounds really good! Can you let me know which book I can find Yellow Dragons in?

As to Half-Goristro, do you mean the Customized Half-Fiend Template variant here?
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Found the Yellow Dragon, it's in Dragon Magazine Compendium 1.
Land speed remains at 20 ft throughout, and flight speed starts at 150 ft at wyrmling age.
But flight speed increases until 350 ft at the age of Wyrm (at gargantuan sized).

Mercury dragons wyrmling starts at 60 ft land and 200 ft fly.
Flight speed caps at 300 ft at the age of Ancient (huge sized).

Using ELH rules, progressing to Colossal and Colossal+ will increase flight speed by 50 ft each.

Very nice! Esp if I can use the MoTP version of Shadow template to reset the type to Magical Beast and stack on even more templates.

ShurikVch
2016-10-11, 07:22 AM
A couple of feats for a wee bit more speed:
Fire Feet: +10'; Dragon #311, required Fire Bloodline
Fury's Focus: +10'; Dragon #304, while in Rage (take Madborn template from Five Nations to be in Rage all the time)

I've got that beat by just a bit.OK, let's see...
30' base (as an average)
+50' + 5' Footsteps of the divine (Fharlanghn) / special holy symbol
+30' Sapphire Sprint
+30' Horseshoes of speed
+30' Epic Divine Vigor
+30' Animal Devotion (Cheetah Sprint)
+10' Speed of Thought
+10' Skin of the Construct (Celerity)
+10' Shaundakul's boots
+10' Quick trait
+10' Lamia belt
+10' Improved Speed
+10' Fleet of Foot
+10' Divine Vigor
+10' Dark creature template
+10' Astral Vambraces (Celerity)
+5' Quickness armor
+5' Panther mask
+5' Armor crystal of alacrity
×2 Rapid wrath weapon enhancement
×2 Horned helm
×5 Run feat
×2 Feathered wings (flight only)

+30' + 5' Cloud wings (flight only) / special holy symbol
+30' + 5' Aerial alacrity (flight only, +1 to flight maneuverability) / special holy symbol
+20' Improved Speed (flight)
×10 + 5' Fly like an arrow (flight only, do nothing but move, must move in a straight line, and must have taken a full move the previous round) / special holy symbol
×2 + 5' Wind at back (overland only) / special holy symbol
×2 Falling flight (see acorn of far travel and boots of gravity's subjective directional gravity)

×10 Acorn of far travel

+50' + 5' Footsteps of the divine (Fharlanghn) / special holy symbol:smallsigh: OP specified:
4) Speed must be permanent (so the Cheetah's 10x speed boost 1/hour does not count)Footsteps of the divine is
Duration: 1 round/level (D)The similar problem is with Speed of Thought, Skin of the Construct, Epic Divine Vigor, Divine Vigor, and Animal Devotion

+30' Sapphire SprintNote: Sapphire Sprint gives +5' per essentia invested; to get +30', character should be at least 41th level...

+10' Improved SpeedFlight only

+10' Fleet of Foot[Regional] feat. What kind of Animal/Magical Beast will qualify for it?

+10' Astral Vambraces (Celerity)Should have arms to bind (also, wouldn't stack with Skin of the Construct)

+5' Quickness armorWouldn't stack with Horseshoes of speed

+5' Panther maskWouldn't stack with Horseshoes of speed or Quickness armor

×2 Rapid wrath weapon enhancementIt's works; except Rapid Wrath is not a weapon enhancement, but specific weapon from Ghostwalk: +1 mighty cleaving shortspear

×2 Horned helmActually, it doesn't improve any movement speed at all

×2 Feathered wings (flight only)It works, but fiendish corruption... Wouldn't be Half-Celestial (or Half-Fey) template better?

×10 Acorn of far travelWhat's about it? :smallconfused:

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-11, 03:22 PM
OK, let's see...
:smallsigh: OP specified:I did mention an acorn of far travel spell from a tree on a demiplane that is timeless in regards to magic, so any buffs are permanent so long as he carries the acorn.

Also, the plane is x10 speed, which is relevant below.

Footsteps of the divine isNow Permanent (as is the acorn itself).

The similar problem is with Speed of Thought, Skin of the Construct, Epic Divine Vigor, Divine Vigor, and Animal DevotionAll of which are now also Permanent -- of course, Speed of Thought is always permanent, so long as you have your psionic focus up.

Note: Sapphire Sprint gives +5' per essentia invested; to get +30', character should be at least 41th level...Or with Improved Essentia Capacity, 18th level.

Flight onlyImproved Speed is +20' on flight and +10' on everything that isn't flight. If you're using the feathered wings graft, it takes that +10', doubles it, and then adds a +20' on top of it.

[Regional] feat. What kind of Animal/Magical Beast will qualify for it?Any of them that has 2+ ranks in Knowledge Local.

Should have arms to bind (also, wouldn't stack with Skin of the Construct)Forelegs count. Plus, he's using a tauric-type template, so he can use his regular arms for it. And both Skin of the Construct and Astral Vambraces are different sources, each granting an untyped bonus. They should stack.

Wouldn't stack with Horseshoes of speedO RLY.

"Quickness
This kind of armor increases the wearer’s speed by 5 feet. Thus, a character whose normal speed in armor is 20 feet moves 25 feet in armor of quickness."

I do believe it's untyped, unless I'm reading something wrong, there.

Wouldn't stack with Horseshoes of speed or Quickness armorI'll give you the stacking issue with the horseshoes of speed and the panther's mask. Must change that on my list elsewhere.

It's works; except Rapid Wrath is not a weapon enhancement, but specific weapon from Ghostwalk: +1 mighty cleaving shortspearAnd according to the MIC, you can transplant item abilities from one item and add them to another. Just take off the mighty cleaving (easy, since it's a standard effect) and add it onto a necklace of natural weapons or a tail scythe or a poison ring or something.

Actually, it doesn't improve any movement speed at allThe one I found in the A&EG has the following:

"Horned Helm: This dark leather helm has an open face and sports a pair of impressive deer antlers that rise from the forehead. When worn, the antlers join solidly with the wearer’s skull. The wearer’s base speed is doubled, and the horned helm grants a +2 enhancement bonus on melee attacks with the horns, which deal 1d8 points of damage."

It works, but fiendish corruption... Wouldn't be Half-Celestial (or Half-Fey) template better?I did mention in an earlier post that it's sanctified, right? It's something in the BoED that turns [Evil] items [Good] for a small cost.

Sorry, I didn't mention that. Still, it's doable if you're Evil or if you are Good and sanctify the graft.

What's about it? :smallconfused:In an earlier post, I mentioned the use of an acorn of far travel spell. I gave an abridged version at the head of this post. The x10 speed is from the demiplane the acorn's tree lives on.

ShurikVch
2016-10-12, 06:32 AM
I did mention an acorn of far travel spell from a tree on a demiplane that is timeless in regards to magic, so any buffs are permanent so long as he carries the acorn.

Also, the plane is x10 speed, which is relevant below.

Now Permanent (as is the acorn itself).

All of which are now also PermanentDang it, you opened this can of worms! :smallannoyed:
It's wrong on so many levels!
1. Acorn of Far Travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a):
you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain)Does it say anything about planar effects?! (For comparison, Planar Bubble should work much better)
2. Which plane exactly have time traits "x10 faster, timeless for magic"? (And before you cry "Genesis!", I say: no version of Genesis explicitly allow to create demiplanes with nonstandard time flow)
3. Even if such plane(s) really exist, you should hope it already have it's one grown oaks, because otherwise you will be more likely to die from old age before the first acorns
4. How, exactly, game works when different flows of time occurred on the same plane? RAW don't say anything. Thus you invoking direct DM call (which is never a good thing)

of course, Speed of Thought is always permanent, so long as you have your psionic focus up.You mean - up until the Concentration fail?

Or with Improved Essentia Capacity, 18th level.Improved Essentia Capacity at 18th gives you capacity 5, thus +25' speed. To get +30', you should wait until 31th level.
So much faster!

Improved Speed is +20' on flight and +10' on everything that isn't flight. If you're using the feathered wings graft, it takes that +10', doubles it, and then adds a +20' on top of it.Yes, you're correct. My mistake. Sorry.

Any of them that has 2+ ranks in Knowledge Local.Firstly, it's 3.0 rule which was banned in 3.5
And secondly, even if you "un-ban" it, feat still have racial prerequisites

And both Skin of the Construct and Astral Vambraces are different sources, each granting an untyped bonus. They should stack.Both Skin of the Construct and Astral Vambraces are give you Celerity (Ex) - from the Menu A of Astral Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm). Same source. Don't stack.

O RLY.

"Quickness
This kind of armor increases the wearer’s speed by 5 feet. Thus, a character whose normal speed in armor is 20 feet moves 25 feet in armor of quickness."

I do believe it's untyped, unless I'm reading something wrong, there.What you quoted is an old (2004) version of Quickness
Newer (2007) version says:
This silvery armor feels light and flexible to the touch.
A suit of armor that has this property grants a +5-foot enhancement bonus to your land speed.

And according to the MIC, you can transplant item abilities from one item and add them to another. Just take off the mighty cleaving (easy, since it's a standard effect) and add it onto a necklace of natural weapons or a tail scythe or a poison ring or something.Quote, please. Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't says what you say

The one I found in the A&EG has the following:

"Horned Helm: This dark leather helm has an open face and sports a pair of impressive deer antlers that rise from the forehead. When worn, the antlers join solidly with the wearer’s skull. The wearer’s base speed is doubled, and the horned helm grants a +2 enhancement bonus on melee attacks with the horns, which deal 1d8 points of damage."A&EG is old 3.0 book; Horned Helm since then was updated in Races of Faerûn - as a non-magical weapon; then re-updated in MIC, which brought back all of it's old magical properties - except the double-speed

I did mention in an earlier post that it's sanctified, right? It's something in the BoED that turns [Evil] items [Good] for a small cost.

Sorry, I didn't mention that. Still, it's doable if you're Evil or if you are Good and sanctify the graft. Sanctify?
I see "Sanctified Weapons", but Feathered Wings isn't a weapon.
Or do you mean Sanctify the Wicked spell? Sorry, but it doesn't work on fiends
Or do you mean "Redeeming Evil Magic Items" rule? Sorry, but
Grafts are not magic itemsYou can't redeem them

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-12, 03:11 PM
Dang it, you opened this can of worms! :smallannoyed:
It's wrong on so many levels!
1. Acorn of Far Travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a):Does it say anything about planar effects?! (For comparison, Planar Bubble should work much better)If you are standing under the branches of a tree on another plane, are you considered to be on another plane?

I'm pretty sure that's a tautology, so yeah.

2. Which plane exactly have time traits "x10 faster, timeless for magic"? (And before you cry "Genesis!", I say: no version of Genesis explicitly allow to create demiplanes with nonstandard time flow)
3. Even if such plane(s) really exist, you should hope it already have it's one grown oaks, because otherwise you will be more likely to die from old age before the first acornsYou determine the environment of the plane, which has to include planar traits, because those are part of a planar environment. Guess where time is mentioned in regards to planes? It has to have planar traits, and there is no mention as to what "normal" is for such a demiplane, and planar traits are all over the place, so choose the ones that work for you.

On the oak tree, you don't have to plant an acorn and wait for it to grow. The spell plant growth is a thing. Or just plane shift or physically transplant (hah) one. Gardeners do the latter all the time.

4. How, exactly, game works when different flows of time occurred on the same plane? RAW don't say anything. Thus you invoking direct DM call (which is never a good thing) X rounds of your time for Y rounds of their time.

You mean - up until the Concentration fail?It's not hard to boost Concentration, and unless you expend your focus, are knocked out, fall asleep, or get hit with an attack that drains your focus, you can have it up 24/7/365.25 days a year with no problems whatsoever. Note that Speed of Thought requires that you be holding your focus, not expending your focus.

Improved Essentia Capacity at 18th gives you capacity 5, thus +25' speed. To get +30', you should wait until 31th level.Sorry, I forgot how I got the 30' (as opposed to the 25'). The incarnum apotheosis spell gives an additional 5' to your movement speed due to boosting the Sapphire Sprint feat, because of that special holy symbol that grants +5' of movement to any spell that boosts your speed. It's not a huge boost, and it's a side-effect of filling the Sapphire Sprint feat, but it does qualify. Can't easily get regular access to it until higher levels, but it's still a thing.

So much faster!That 5' is multipled numerous times, and every bit counts.

Yes, you're correct. My mistake. Sorry.

Firstly, it's 3.0 rule which was banned in 3.5Where was it banned?

And secondly, even if you "un-ban" it, feat still have racial prerequisitesRemember, he's tauric. Half of him will be something else. Of course, there's also Human Blood or Human Heritage. Doable with flaws.

Both Skin of the Construct and Astral Vambraces are give you Celerity (Ex) - from the Menu A of Astral Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/astralConstruct.htm). Same source. Don't stack.Different sources granting an untyped bonus from celerity. Do stack.

What you quoted is an old (2004) version of QuicknessI quoted the SRD.

Newer (2007) version says:Then hire a psion to make it and use the psionic version that's in the SRD and has never been updated.

Quote, please. Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't says what you sayThere's a whole section about transplanting item properties, and quoting the whole thing goes above and beyond fair use. And since the rapid wrath weapon is a +1 mighty cleaving shortspear, and weapon enhancements are modular, just transplant everything from the shortspear except the mighty cleaving.

A&EG is old 3.0 book; Horned Helm since then was updated in Races of Faerûn - as a non-magical weapon; then re-updated in MIC, which brought back all of it's old magical properties - except the double-speedIt still has haste as a prereq to make it. Use the good one, not the crap one, because nobody would ever want to use that one, since it's pointless. Bleh. Kind of like most of the updated items, in fact. Like, look at the castrated torc of power preservation. Why would anyone use it?

Sanctify?Redeeming magic items, page 119.

I see "Sanctified Weapons", but Feathered Wings isn't a weapon.
Or do you mean Sanctify the Wicked spell? Sorry, but it doesn't work on fiends
Or do you mean "Redeeming Evil Magic Items" rule? Sorry, butYou can't redeem themYou can if you PAO them into a pair of boot knives or something first, hit them with a magic weapon spell, redeem them, and turn them back. Just takes a bit of forward planning.

Necroticplague
2016-10-12, 03:25 PM
You can if you PAO them into a pair of boot knives or something first, hit them with a magic weapon spell, redeem them, and turn them back. Just takes a bit of forward planning.

You can't do that with grafts. Grafts are not able to be targeted separately from the person attached to them. Once applied, a graft is just as much a part of you as you're racial features. And before it's applied, it doesn't exist.

ShurikVch
2016-10-12, 04:48 PM
If you are standing under the branches of a tree on another plane, are you considered to be on another plane?

I'm pretty sure that's a tautology, so yeah.No.
As long as you carry the acorn (and as long as the acorn is not stored in an extradimensional space like a bag of holding), you are considered to be standing under that oak tree's canopy (and thus within an area of forested terrain).It's it.
RAW doesn't says anything about other planes, thus it doesn't matter

You determine the environment of the plane, which has to include planar traits, because those are part of a planar environment.It's blatant untruth.
No version of Genesis allow you to fine-tune planar traits
You can't chose magical traits, or any material except rock or dirt, yet you somehow expect to manipulate the time itself? Seriously? :smallamused:
No version of Genesis explicitly allow to manipulate planar traits, but at least two of them - including the latest in the Tome of Magic (Word of Genesis) - directly forbid it

On the oak tree, you don't have to plant an acorn and wait for it to grow. The spell plant growth is a thing.Except that spell have no effect on how fast those plans bear fruit, thus isn't that helpful

Or just plane shift or physically transplant (hah) one. Gardeners do the latter all the time.Except plane shift work only on creatures; trees are objects

X rounds of your time for Y rounds of their time.Proof?

Where was it banned?In the Player’s Guide to Faerûn (the very same book in which we can see the Fleet of Foot feat):
The region system in this book limits each character to one and only one regional feat that must be selected at 1st level. This rule replaces the one on page 28 of the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Setting that allows a character to learn another regional feat for each 2 ranks in Knowledge (local) she has.
The regional feats presented herein are designed with the intent that a character has access to only one. Allowing a character to choose more than one may unbalance the system.

Different sources granting an untyped bonus from celerity. Do stack.They are don't grant "untyped bonus from celerity"; they grant Celerity itself:
You benefit from one special ability of your choice in the Astral Construct Menu A.
More important, it grants you one Menu A choice (EPH 186) that you can use as if you were the construct.Doesn't stack.

I quoted the SRD.Yes, like I said: old version.
I quoted Magic Item Compendium (2007).

Then hire a psion to make it and use the psionic version that's in the SRD and has never been updated.Magic Item Compendium also eliminated difference between magic and psionic items; now, there is no difference between them (power source aside); psionic version of Quickness would work exactly like magical version (except the rare cases when power source does matter)

There's a whole section about transplanting item properties, and quoting the whole thing goes above and beyond fair use. And since the rapid wrath weapon is a +1 mighty cleaving shortspear, and weapon enhancements are modular, just transplant everything from the shortspear except the mighty cleaving.Firstly, those aren't rules - those are guidelines
And secondly - what's you mean "transplant everything from the shortspear except the mighty cleaving"? Isn't mighty cleaving the only thing there?

It still has haste as a prereq to make it.So what?

Use the good one, not the crap one, because nobody would ever want to use that one, since it's pointless. Bleh. Kind of like most of the updated items, in fact. Like, look at the castrated torc of power preservation. Why would anyone use it?Because older ones are don't exist anymore

Redeeming magic items, page 119.As I quoted, grafts aren't magic items, thus you can't redeem them

You can if you PAO them into a pair of boot knives or something first, hit them with a magic weapon spell, redeem them, and turn them back. Just takes a bit of forward planning.Relevant quote:
The first step toward redeeming an evil item is to temporarily suppress its magical properties with dispel magic.Wouldn't PAO dispelled by it?