PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer's origins

thePr0fesser
2016-10-10, 12:36 AM
I'm a DM and one of my player's is a sorcerer and she asked me she asked if her wild magic surge can still happen if she's of draconic origin. I was thinking it would be fun to have that random effect once in a while but I was also wondering if that would be too overpowered.

Temperjoke
2016-10-10, 12:40 AM
It could be, but it's not consistently overpowered due to it's random nature. I would just maintain the right to veto any of the effects that might occur, and that should be enough to keep things from being too broken.

Zalabim
2016-10-10, 01:25 AM
Wild Surges are, on average, a positive, however without Tides of Chaos it won't happen very often or be as positive, so I don't believe it'd be a big enough adjustment from the baseline to cause balance problems. If anything, it would be a momentary problem that would best be handled by direct veto, like rolling an ill-timed fireball.

Wild magic effects are used as a random environment effect in some areas, so it's not that unusual. Have fun and be careful with those dice.

djreynolds
2016-10-10, 02:07 AM
I do not see why not, and you could just say when this happens you temporarily lose your draconic armor bonus for the time being

Segev
2016-10-10, 09:45 AM
What does your player want out of the Draconic bloodline? Perhaps something can be traded from that one to pick up Wild Surge.

JellyPooga
2016-10-10, 12:01 PM
I'm a DM and one of my player's is a sorcerer and she asked me she asked if her wild magic surge can still happen if she's of draconic origin. I was thinking it would be fun to have that random effect once in a while but I was also wondering if that would be too overpowered.

RAW? No.

The question to ask, really, is Why? Wild Magic Sorcerers tap into primal and chaotic magical energies, while Draconic Sorcerers tap the inherently magical blood of their ancestors. The Wild Magic table represents the chaotic nature of the magic a Wild Sorcerer wields. Has this player chosen a particularly chaotic or unpredictable Draconic Heritage? A Planar Dragon from Limbo, perhaps? If that's the case, I'd go with Segev's suggestion and swap out a Draconic Ancestor and Draconic Resilience for Wild Magic Surge and Tides of Chaos. If not, then you need to ask whether it makes sense to allow the occasional WM-Surge.

As others have noted, it won't break the game or anything to have the odd surge or two, but you need to justify it, just as you need to justify a Fighter with Arcana proficiency, for example, by taking an appropriate Background.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-10-10, 12:55 PM
Slaad bloodline. Sometimes you just accidentally someone in the goriest way possible, stuff happens.

Arkhios
2016-10-10, 11:07 PM
If you were to apply wild surges on draconic sorcerer, you could just as well apply them to all magic. I feel it would give a nice touch to magic as a chaotic force.