PDA

View Full Version : Making a knife thrower

Forumlurker
2016-10-10, 12:46 AM
Hello again playground!

I've been interested in making a knife thrower for quite a while now, and I've been reading up on my options for items, races, classes, and feats. I want to put it all together into a feasible build for use in a campaign I joined recently.

For items, I'm mostly concerned with getting an infinite source of daggers. Notable options include: gloves of infinite javelins (with javelins refluffed into daggers or darts), quiver of anariel (refluffed to bandolier, replace arrows with daggers or darts), and the blinkback belt. (this one's from pathfinder, so it may need to be back-ported)

For races, my DM has already approved Strongheart Halfling, which synergizes extremely well with this concept.

For classes, I'm thinking rogue (with halfling rogue substitution level), sneak attack fighter, scout, and the Master Thrower PrC. I'm also going to have at least a few levels of swordsage, for several reasons. First, we're using Fax Celestis's Falling Star martial school, and second, the maximum level of maneuvers available to use is 1-1 with initiator level. (The DM, who is running a swordsage PC, messed up when calculating maximum maneuver level, and decided to just roll with it)
For feats, I may go down the TWF line for the extra attacks, or I may go down the archery line. There's a lot of good things in that direction as well. I know I'll be taking Craven, but other than that I'm undecided. We're allowed one flaw.

So, what do you think? What items, feats, classes, and miscellaneous skullduggery can you suggest to make this character good?

gorfnab
2016-10-10, 01:17 AM
One build I've used previously:
Strongheart Halfling or Human
1. Rogue - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Craven, Far Shot, 2x Flaws
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Two Weapon Fighting
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF(DS)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swordsage - B: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand weapons, Shadowblade
7. Swashbuckler
8. Fighter - Hit-and-Run Tactics ACF (DotU - if your DM is lenient), Targeteer ACF (DragMag 310)- Vital Aim
9. Fighter - Targeteer ACF - Rapid Shot, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Swordsage (for Assassins Stance)
11. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
12. Master Thrower - Dead Eye (DragMag 304)
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Improved Precise Shot
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

Other items to consider:
Rogue's Vest (MIC)
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM)
Bracers of the Hunter (SoX)

darkdragoon
2016-10-10, 01:36 AM
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades from MIC would seem to be cheaper and more flexible.

gorfnab
2016-10-10, 02:10 AM
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades from MIC would seem to be cheaper and more flexible.
The Gauntlet is a Swift action activation, meaning it can only be used once per round. The Gloves of Endless Javelins (in this case modified to daggers) are a Free action to use, meaning they can be used as many times in a round as needed.

Brannmuffyn
2016-10-10, 09:23 AM
Sneak attack builds are very difficult to consistently land damage with as a thrower. I would personally choose to go Bard/Fighter/Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade using Dead Eye (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/dragon-compendium--109/dead-eye--3345/index.html) and Dragonfire Inspiration (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/dragon-magic--62/dragonfire-inspiration--733/index.html) as a damage source instead. The two weapon fighting tree is great for this build as well.

A Badge of Valor, a Vest of Legends, Inspirational Boost (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/spell-compendium--86/inspirational-boost--3914/), and Song of the Heart (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/song-of-the-heart) go along way to boost your damage potential.

Bard 3/Fighter 2/Warblade 1/Master Thrower 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower +4 acts as a good base for the build. Bloodstorm Blade 4 allows you to throw your daggers infinitely so you don't have to worry about carrying around a crap ton of daggers. In fact, it cuts down the amount of daggers you need to exactly 2, which you can enchant heavily.

This is from memory of a build I did forever ago, if you're interested I can pull some more stuff out for you.

Forumlurker
2016-10-10, 11:34 AM
One build I've used previously:
Strongheart Halfling or Human
1. Rogue - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Craven, Far Shot, 2x Flaws
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Two Weapon Fighting
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF(DS)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swordsage - B: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand weapons, Shadowblade
7. Swashbuckler
8. Fighter - Hit-and-Run Tactics ACF (DotU - if your DM is lenient), Targeteer ACF (DragMag 310)- Vital Aim
9. Fighter - Targeteer ACF - Rapid Shot, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Swordsage (for Assassins Stance)
11. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
12. Master Thrower - Dead Eye (DragMag 304)
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Improved Precise Shot
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

Other items to consider:
Rogue's Vest (MIC)
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM)
Bracers of the Hunter (SoX)Thanks! I'll definitely look into some of the things in this build. I've seen invisible blade mentioned a few times in other threads, but one of it's features, flanking at range, has already been houseruled to apply to all ranged attacks. (not to mention there's a melee rogue/swordsage in the party who uses the Island of Blades stance regularly)

Sneak attack builds are very difficult to consistently land damage with as a thrower. I would personally choose to go Bard/Fighter/Master Thrower/Bloodstorm Blade using Dead Eye and Dragonfire Inspiration as a damage source instead. The two weapon fighting tree is great for this build as well.

A Badge of Valor, a Vest of Legends, Inspirational Boost, and Song of the Heart go along way to boost your damage potential.

Bard 3/Fighter 2/Warblade 1/Master Thrower 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower +4 acts as a good base for the build. Bloodstorm Blade 4 allows you to throw your daggers infinitely so you don't have to worry about carrying around a crap ton of daggers. In fact, it cuts down the amount of daggers you need to exactly 2, which you can enchant heavily.

This is from memory of a build I did forever ago, if you're interested I can pull some more stuff out for you.
ooo... This is a different take on things. I'm not terribly worried about applying sneak attack damage. (although skirmish is another option if I go scout.) Falling Star and the other swordsage schools have a bunch of options for dishing out damage or applying sneak attack. Let's also not forget Master Thrower's knife tricks. (sneaky throw, weak spot, and palm throw are the three I'm thinking of).

That said, I do like the idea of this build, and I can probably tweak it a bit to fit the concept I have in mind. Having the character be able to buff the entire party AND be a walking blender is pretty nice as well. It also solves the ammo problem, and lets me have a few enchanted knives over a bunch of regular ones.

lylsyly
2016-10-10, 12:46 PM
ooo... This is a different take on things. I'm not terribly worried about applying sneak attack damage.

Then you can consider the Martial Rogue From UA or SRD (gives up sneak attack for the fighter bonus feats). Archery feats and TWF feats trees can be helped by the added feats. At least for the rogue levels in the build.

Just a thought.

Forumlurker
2016-10-10, 01:15 PM
Then you can consider the Martial Rogue From UA or SRD (gives up sneak attack for the fighter bonus feats). Archery feats and TWF feats trees can be helped by the added feats. At least for the rogue levels in the build.

Just a thought.
Whoops. Could've phrased that better. I meant that I should be able to apply sneak attack damage fairly reliably. I was already aware of the martial rogue option, but had decided against it in favor of sneak attack.