PDA

View Full Version : Cambion Death Question ~ Lore

GR0PED
2016-10-10, 11:43 AM
So i have been working on my charismatic demon love child of Graz'zt going as far as editing the custom race using JamesMusicus point system (Since standard Cambion's have wings which don't make sense for children of Graz'zt) .. But one thing i wasn't sure about was the lore behind such characters..

Technically being half demon, half human the character would have a soul (i think.. could be wrong) ~ so if they died would they respawn on an abyssal plain and alas become corrupted (would make a cool pc to npc villain story) or since they have a soul would they just die like everyone else ?

The character is Chaotic Neutral since has managed to avoid dealings with the Abyss so far ~ any thoughts would be much appreciated since i am still pretty new to D&D Lore

Falcon X
2016-10-10, 03:07 PM
Cambions are borderlines on so many things and up to interpretation on others, so it is something I would make sure you are on the same page as a DM, as it might be tough to prove an argument.

Here are my thoughts:
- Cambions are like first generation tieflings. Seeing as tieflings have full souls and are considered mortal, I think you would treat cambions the same way.
- I believe they would die and have an afterlife in a similar manner to a human, unless they personally made some strange pact with a fiend while alive that drew out the bloodline in a stronger way.
Of course, there are many theories as to what happens when people die in D&D (and I could elaborate) but generally they go to the realm of their deity or a realm that is aligned in a similar manner to themselves. There, they become petitioners.

Belac93
2016-10-10, 07:09 PM
Well, in the novels about tieflings (which has a cambion in it), they talk about how; 'a cambion can't come back to life like other devils.' So I'd assume they have at least some soul.

GR0PED
2016-10-11, 08:51 AM
That's great info thanks guys :D

GR0PED
2016-10-11, 09:00 AM
Ill just throw this question in here to save making another thread ~ I was under the illusion that Tiefling's were small humanoids for some reason.. But upon closer look there really isn't much difference between a tiefling and a cambion is there ? There is no reason to not play the tiefling as a son of a demon / human relationship and just change the characters looks to reflect the demon parentage ~

Just giving the tiefling Abyssal instead of infernal ~

DizzyWood
2016-10-11, 09:20 AM
Ill just throw this question in here to save making another thread ~ I was under the illusion that Tiefling's were small humanoids for some reason.. But upon closer look there really isn't much difference between a tiefling and a cambion is there ? There is no reason to not play the tiefling as a son of a demon / human relationship and just change the characters looks to reflect the demon parentage ~

Ya both my DMs allow encourage this kind of fluff mixing. It just makes everything so much more fun and personal.

Falcon X
2016-10-11, 09:21 AM

You've got it.

I would personally build a cambion like a tiefling, technical-wise. However, since they are first generation tieflings, they are going to have a lot more of the look of their fiendish parent. So, THEORETICALLY, they could have more power too.
But I say just keep it simple. Mod a tiefling.

As for size, tieflings and cambions would by default be medium size, like humans. However, they usually come with certain deformities. Said deformity could include a small or large size.
Back in the day (2e Planescape), we used this fun table to build a part-fiend: https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0484/32/1469391579275.jpg

GR0PED
2016-10-11, 11:43 AM
My DM is pretty much the same Dizzy :D so should work out pretty well thankfully

You've got it.

I would personally build a cambion like a tiefling, technical-wise. However, since they are first generation tieflings, they are going to have a lot more of the look of their fiendish parent. So, THEORETICALLY, they could have more power too.
But I say just keep it simple. Mod a tiefling.

As for size, tieflings and cambions would by default be medium size, like humans. However, they usually come with certain deformities. Said deformity could include a small or large size.
Back in the day (2e Planescape), we used this fun table to build a part-fiend:

The demon father would be Graz'zt so being a first gen tiefling child would pretty much just be taller, dark skin with out tail ? Had no wings either but does has horns ! I can just use the unearthly beauty for fluff instead of actual stats since Tiefling is pretty charisma heavy already ~ And sorry to say the link keeps saying access denied !

DizzyWood
2016-10-11, 12:25 PM
You could make him SEEM more powerful in some ways without giving him actual power. It would depend what class you are going with but. Some spells could be refluffed to show his origin and have some scary hellish visual effects. Maybe if he takes the dash action puffs of brimstone rise up from his footsteps that sort of thing.

GR0PED
2016-10-11, 12:55 PM
Well the thaumaturgy cantrip which comes with the Infernal Legacy ability which pretty much lets me change the colors of all flames in the room.. cause harmless tremors and amplify my voice by 3 times all at once for a minute ~ Which can easily make me seem all powerful if i ever needed intimidation !

In the end this is all for a barbarian build so i should be plenty powerful with lots of fluff ! I can swap fire resistance to acid resistance and the darkness spell out.. The +1 Int to +1 Str then its pretty much a child of Graz'zt the last thing which concerns me is ~

Infernal Legacy. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these Spells.

Can a Barbarian even cast a 2nd-level spell ? :L

Addaran
2016-10-11, 02:01 PM
Infernal Legacy. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Hellish Rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these Spells.

Can a Barbarian even cast a 2nd-level spell ? :L

Yes, but not while raging. The race get the ability to cast one 2nd-level spell per long rest but only hellish rebuke. Basically, it does a bit more damage then a normal hellish rebuke cast by a lvl 1 warlock.

GR0PED
2016-10-11, 02:22 PM
Yes, but not while raging. The race get the ability to cast one 2nd-level spell per long rest but only hellish rebuke. Basically, it does a bit more damage then a normal hellish rebuke cast by a lvl 1 warlock.

Awesome sauce :D well thank you very one for the help ^.^