PDA

View Full Version : Warmage

Cowboy_ninja
2007-07-10, 08:38 PM
im not sure what to do with my warmage at the first few levels.... later on he just doesnt have enough feats and in the begining he doesn qualify for feats.

he was originally a battle salwart sorc that was gonna be a "wanna-be-fighter"

i changed him to warmage because it just fit his personality/background better plus he can wear armor.

anyway i was gonna arcane disiple the war and strenght domains but knowledge religion is not one of his class skills. which means i have to wait until 6th lvl feat to get my first one.

anyone know how to get around that? something that makes religion a class skill or that will allow me to put ranks into a crossclass skill past the maximum ranks?

also a way for a warmage to get the extra edge feat AT 4th level? when he qualifies?

also any other cool idea i havent thought of. for the first 5 levels for a human warmage.

thanks all!

Callix
2007-07-10, 08:49 PM
No way to get extra edge at 4th.
Look at overall requirements. Prestige classes like Spellwarp Sniper do much more for a Warmage than early feats. So pick a prestige class that matches your idea, and use the early feats to grab the dump feats the class requires (they all have them). Alternatively, Spell Focus (Evocation) and Skill Focus (Concentration) are surprisingly good low-level warmage feats. Combat Casting is a trap, if you were considering thism take Skill Focus. Also, if you want to be in melee much, concentration is a critical skill, so Focus isn't a waste. Otherwise, with so many Evocation spells in your repertoire, Spell Focus isn't a bad option. Arcane Devotee (War) is... I'll let a more experienced optimiser discuss it in ways which do not violate forum rules.

PinkysBrain
2007-07-10, 08:59 PM
So you are going to play a caster with no buff spells except for once a day domain spells and put him into melee ... and you think that fits just because the warmage can wear armor without suffering ASF?

Anyway, the education feat from PGtF makes all knowledge skills class skills.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-07-10, 09:14 PM
So you are going to play a caster with no buff spells except for once a day domain spells and put him into melee ... and you think that fits just because the warmage can wear armor without suffering ASF?

Anyway, the education feat from PGtF makes all knowledge skills class skills.

.............. <sigh>.......... you're right........ i had over looked the 1/day maximum on the domain spells i thought its just a free add-spells-to-your-list feat........ which pretty much denies me my buff spells......

i have to rethink this......

i feel bad i already changed my character once so i cant do this to my DM again he's new at DM'ing and already changed his plot once because i went from sorc to warmage......

so

anyone know how to make a decent melee combatant from a warmage?

my longterm plans are to excentric learn (PHBII) alter self and polymorph so i can be a master transmogrifist by lvl 12.... but a lvl 1-11 plan would be helpful....

Omnipotent_One
2007-07-10, 09:17 PM
.............. <sigh>.......... you're right........ i had over looked the 1/day maximum on the domain spells i thought its just a free add-spells-to-your-list feat........ which pretty much denies me my buff spells......

i have to rethink this......

You can try taking gish prestige classes. Try out abjurant champion, eldritch knight, and spellsword.

MrNexx
2007-07-11, 12:02 AM
The problem with the warmage is they're designed to do one thing: Heavy Artillery. They do this very well... if you need something blown up, a warmage is a good option. However, they've got a poor BAB, and don't have the HD to even reliably back up meleers, due to their MAD.

If you're going with a Warmage gish, and you want melee, look at the spells you DO have. Also, look into Sudden Metamagics... get Sudden Maximize as fast as you can, because it will help you a lot in your damage dealing. I created a feat called Improved Sudden Metamagic (http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/8790.html) that you might try talking your DM into allowing; beinga ble to whip out max-damage, or over-max damage spells is what you're about.

1st level:
Fist of Stone: Mainstay. Gives you a decent weapon and strength boost, with a general duration of "1 Combat." Since it remains flexible, you get to cast spells with it.
Chill Touch: Strength Damage, not a penalty; it's not as strong as Fist of Stone, but they can be combined (cast Fist of Stone, Chill Touch, then hit for 1D6 + Strength*1.5 + 1D6 damage for your level in rounds). It's also a touch spell, meaning you can do it very accurately, even against things that are well-armored.
Shocking Grasp: Another touch spell; better damage than Chill Touch, but a one-shot.
True Strike: Very Useful for that single, absolutely-must-hit attack. When you're using a maximized attack spell, think about casting this first.

2nd level
Blades of Fire: Short duration makes this a very chancy spell; however, it's a swift action, so it's useful for that quick shot of fire damage.
See if your DM will let you add some other spells to this; I would think that Spiritual Weapon and Flame Blade would be on the Warmage list, but they apparently decided against it.

3rd Level:
Fire Shield is your friend. You like Fire Shield.
Poison: Great spell; it has the potential, if maximized, to be a killer. If not, it will often weaken a foe to make them easy prey. Note the special save this one has!
Ring of Blades: Useful when you need space... there will be times when a bit of breathing room is desperately needed.

And then you get NOTHING until Tensers Transformation that just screaoms "I fight in melee." So, I would suggest getting 3rd level spells (which is, IIRC, 6th level), then start exploring your options in terms of prestige classes.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-11, 12:24 AM
.............., .........., ........ ........ ......, ...... ......; .... ....!

Ack, your ellipses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis) are all-consuming! I know, there's a strong urge to write your pauses down when you pause for thought. However, increasing the amount of dots in your ellipses will not serve any useful purpose, any more than it would if you did

this

every time you

paused to think about what you want to

say next. Three dots will almost always suffice.

Draz74
2007-07-11, 12:28 AM
Inyssius Tor, I accuse you of impersonating William Shatner! Only you managed to do it in writing ...

Ikkitosen
2007-07-11, 02:22 AM
Can you go back and change to Battle Sorc (online SRD variant rule) instead? They get medium BAB, armoured casting, D8 HD and a martial weapon. They lose spells known and spells/day, but you could still get buffs and blasting.

Or ask your DM to houserule medium BAB for warmagi - they need the help.

Or for a "proper" melee caster play a Duskblade from PHBII.