PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Adept (dandwiki) Homebrew balance?

X3r4ph
2016-10-10, 03:23 PM
Hey everybody.

I have been playing the UA Shadow Sorcerer for a few sessions but I am not really feeling the shadow vibe. So I began searching for alternatives and found this:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shadow_Adept_(5e_Archetype)

What do you think about the archetype? I think it is much closer to the original class from 3.5, but there might be some balance issues with a few abilities. For example:

Shield of Shadows
It's like Shield on speed. But only in dim lighted areas. Many ways for the DM to put stick in the wheel on this one. Still a very handy use of ones reaction.

Shadow Spell
Very nice ability to try and steal spells. I love this mechanic. Not sure how breaking it is.

It gets a lot more extra spells as well. Personally I think this is fine. The sorcerer already only gets barely more spells than the ranger. So what is a handful of more spells?

Are the spells balanced though?

Net of Shadows and Shadow Spray seems fairly balanced, yes?

Slashing Darkness seems underwhelming when compared to Scorching Ray. I mean sure it is Necrotic Damage, but it deals a little less damage for a 3rd level spell slot and you have no option of just using a measly 2nd level slot.

Shadow Well is like Banishment. It targets Wisdom instead of Charisma, and doesn't have the options of getting rid of an opponent for good, but it does have a nice frightened condition. Seems fairly balanced. Although, balanced with one of the best 4th level spells.

Darkbolt 14d8 upfront, or spread it out so you can apply turn based extra damage. Seems cool. Not sure if unbalanced.

Enshrouding Gloom Very handy for helping to trigger Shadow Shield etc.

Shadow DoubleLooks fun. I wonder if I ever get to this level.

Living Shadow Yeah, it's cool and all. But will anyone ever get to level 18?

So what do you think? Is there anything that strikes you as completely unbalanced?

Callin
2016-10-10, 04:15 PM
Nothing stands out as overtly broken to me other than 120 darkvision through magical darkness at level 1. Some other things could use a tone down but all in all flavorful

X3r4ph
2016-10-11, 09:32 AM
Yeah. Perhaps that ability should scale with the class. Like 30ft to begin with and an extra 30ft every three levels.

How about Shield of Shadows? Is that more or less +2AC and Dex saves all the time? I mean most campaigns are in dim light right? Especially in level 6.
Should this ability cost 1 SP and the improved version 2 SP?