PDA

View Full Version : Extending Weapon Property?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 05:42 PM
I'm asking out here because the Q&A threads never answer these questions.

Anyone know where this weapon property came from?

Magic Weapon Abilities - Extending
An extending weapon can alter its length to add or subtract 5 feet of reach. Once per round as a free action, the wielder of an extending weapon can make the weapon assume a length 5 feet longer or shorter than its normal length. The wielder must state, at the beginning of her turn, whether the weapon extends or shortens. Melee weapons can be turned into reach weapons to threaten foes 10 feet away, but when extended, the weapon no longer threatens foes within 5 feet of the wielder. Reach weapons can be set to threaten targets 5, 10, or 15 feet away. If set for 10 feet, the reach weapon no longer threatens adjacent foes, and if set for 15 feet it no longer threatens opponents 5 or 10 feet away. The extending property can only be added to Large hafted melee weapons (anything except a sword), flails, chains, whips, and similar weapons.
Caster Level: 5th
Requirements: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, enlarge, reduce
Price: +1 bonus
I encountered it some time ago, but I can't figure out where it originally came from. It's not a dand-wiki thing, is it?

Venger
2016-10-10, 06:53 PM
I'm asking out here because the Q&A threads never answer these questions.

Anyone know where this weapon property came from?

I encountered it some time ago, but I can't figure out where it originally came from. It's not a dand-wiki thing, is it?

this isn't a real 3.5 weapon property. while I can't find it on dandwiki, that's probably because of its terrible search and indexing. it's also possible it was homebrewed someplace else.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 06:56 PM
this isn't a real 3.5 weapon property. while I can't find it on dandwiki, that's probably because of its terrible search and indexing. it's also possible it was homebrewed someplace else.Might it be 3.0? Possibly 2nd party? Being WotC-licensed but not WotC-made is weird, but not unheard of.

Venger
2016-10-10, 06:57 PM
Might it be 3.0? Possibly 2nd party? Being WotC-licensed but not WotC-made is weird, but not unheard of.

oh you mean you might've read it in one of the green ronin or sword and sorcery books? that's certainly possible, but I don't know all of those.

Zanos
2016-10-10, 07:00 PM
The changeling spear property in MIC is similar on some levels, since you can change the spear between a reach and non-reach weapon as a swift action.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 07:00 PM
oh you mean you might've read it in one of the green ronin or sword and sorcery books? that's certainly possible, but I don't know all of those.Those usually don't have the WotC stamp-of-approval. I'm thinking something like some of the campaign setting books, like Planescape or Dragonlance.

Name1
2016-10-10, 07:01 PM
Stupid question, but... I've searched for that Weapon Property too after finding it on Realmshelp and never found it either. Did you find it there too? I haven't found a reference to it anywhere else D&D related. I think it exists in Pathfinder though...

Venger
2016-10-10, 07:03 PM
The changeling spear property in MIC is similar on some levels, since you can change the spear between a reach and non-reach weapon as a swift action.

combine it with sizing for endless fun

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-10, 07:06 PM
Stupid question, but... I've searched for that Weapon Property too after finding it on Realmshelp and never found it either. Did you find it there too? I haven't found a reference to it anywhere else D&D related. I think it exists in Pathfinder though...Shhhh. We can't talk about that here.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-10-10, 07:19 PM
It's Realms Help homebrew, as far as I can tell. That site has been experiencing some creeping misinformation and homebrew for a while. It's got the bane quality listed as a +2, for example. I think a couple people around here have done accurate compilations of equipment properties. Sorry, no links at hand.

Necroticplague
2016-10-10, 08:29 PM
It's Realms Help homebrew, as far as I can tell. That site has been experiencing some creeping misinformation and homebrew for a while. It's got the bane quality listed as a +2, for example. I think a couple people around here have done accurate compilations of equipment properties. Sorry, no links at hand.

If you look at the relevent list on the site, it quite damningly has a blank line after "From", unlike almost all the others that have a source of some type (and the others ones also have effects that give the distinct 'not official' quality because of their unusual design.).

Fizban
2016-10-10, 10:17 PM
I was gonna say it's probably hidden in an adventure, but that homebrew case sounds pretty solid.

Caranthir70129
2019-08-31, 07:59 PM
I know this is WAY to late but I found it, kinda. Extending Weapon Special Ability Dragon 302 (3.0) p84

jdizzlean
2019-09-01, 02:20 AM
The Mod LIfe Crisis: Activate weapon property - anti necromancy