PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Space Weapons For A Collector

Afgncaap5
2016-10-10, 06:26 PM
tl;dr - Any suggestions for psychic weapons and/or crystal or adamantine weapons for a player who wants to collect "space weapons" that can easily be used by characters who aren't psionic? Oh, or Incarnum weapons not in the basic source?

Long Version:

I'm running an Eberron game, and I told everyone to come up with their "character concept" before coming up with race and class, and one player decided he wanted to be an aristocratic person who collected weapons, specifically "space weapons" made from materials that fell from the sky (I'm pretty sure there's a subtle Avatar reference at work here, and I'm cool with that.) He asked a few questions about the campaign world and the options that would lend itself well to this, and he decided he wanted to focus on weapons that were primarily made from adamantine and Siberys shards. He decided he'd play a Half-Orc Fighter who was a member of House Tharashk, one who was enlightened enough to be a scholar and historian (and student of combat) in spite of the hit to intelligence that half-orcs get.

I liked the concept and agreed to it even though I knew there were a few problems, first and foremost the fact that Siberys Shards aren't really known as things that lend themselves to weaponry. They're typically limited to enhancing the powers of dragonmarks instead of "general magic" like bloodstone shards, and to a lesser extent things like "altering the flow of magic" (since some metamagic can be applied to them (but, again, typically only for the benefit of dragonmarks)). It was then pointed out to me that all Quori Embedded Shards use Siberys Shards, and that the Riedrans desire shards that can boost their own psychic capabilities. So, I decided to expand them a bit to allow their lore to more apparently match the lore of Khyber shards.

Nightshards: Aberrant Marks, Black Magic, Necromancy, Binding
Bloodstones: Magic!
Sunstones: Dragonmarks, Holy Magic, Dreams, Prophecy

So, that made it obvious to me: if he wants to collect magical Siberys Shard weaponry, a good portion of them would probably be psionic in some way. Also, due to the nature of how psionics works and due to the nature of dreams, I'm thinking about also opening this up to weaponry that relates to Incarnum.

So... yeah. My challenge now, then, is to get some magic weapons that use psionics, incarnum, or holy magic in a way that won't require the bearer to themselves by psychic, soul-wielding, or holy. While I've got a lot of inspiration from the Expanded Psionics Handbook already, I was wondering if there were any gems I should keep an eye out for.

shaikujin
2016-10-10, 09:55 PM
From the title, I thought you meant things like light sabers and phasers :)

For official special materials, there's Blood Glass in Secrets of Xendrik. It's volcanic glass with traces of dragonshards.

Made into weapons, they do 1 extra damage due to being sharp, and can be enchanted with a WSA that works like morphing, except that it's a flat cost instead of a +1 WSA.

Could serve as inspiration for other materials.
Having the materials lend affinity to certain WSA and making these WSA easier to enchant might be another idea.
Following up on that idea, maybe have the materials give a free weapon template like those in DMG2.

Other psion-ish special material includes Deep Crystal and Riedran Crysteel.

Afgncaap5
2016-10-10, 11:15 PM
From the title, I thought you meant things like light sabers and phasers :)

For official special materials, there's Blood Glass in Secrets of Xendrik. It's volcanic glass with traces of dragonshards.

Made into weapons, they do 1 extra damage due to being sharp, and can be enchanted with a WSA that works like morphing, except that it's a flat cost instead of a +1 WSA.

Oooh... yes, that sounds like more or less exactly the kind of thing I wanted. Thanks!

Could server as inspiration for other materials.
Having the materials lend affinity to certain WSA and making these WSA easier to enchant might be another idea.
Folloing up on that idea, maybe have the materials give a free weapon templates like those in DMG2.

Other psion-ish special material includes Deep Crystals and Riedran Crysteel.

Aye. I've already got a few Deep Crystal weapons in mind (fun fact: Deep Crystal and Normal Crystal have a hardness and hp/inch value that puts most Dragonshards between the two, so an eagle eyed player might notice the fudged details between them. I'm positive that won't be happening, though.) I considered Riedran Crysteel since, well... as a "crystal that's good for swords" it's almost exactly what he wants. Sadly, Crysteel is most useful in the hands of a psion, which is sort of what led me to this topic of discussion. He's gonna be a half-orc fighter so not many chances to be psychic (especially since he's gonna be using at least one feat for a Dragonmark.)

Thanks!

One Step Two
2016-10-10, 11:45 PM
A while back a friend and I compiled every weapon special material we could find into a single sheet, the only problem is we didn't include sources.
It's a fairly exhaustive list though, but it pertains to weapons only not armors:

NameTypeDescriptionCost (L/1H/2H)EffectNotes/Restrictions
AdamantineMetalBlack metal3,000Bypass DR/adamantine. Ignore 20 pts of hardness. 30% more hp than steel. Hardness 20, 40hp per inch of thickness-
Alchemical SilverMetalSilver bonded with Iron20/90/180Bypass DR/silver, -1 penalty to damageCannot be combined with Mithral, Adamantine, or Cold Iron
AurorumMetalLuminous steel that gleams with indigo4,000If sundered, pieces will reconnect if touched together (typically a Full Round Action)-
Blue IceMetalDark blue opaque ice that doesn’t melt500Gain +1 Enhancement bonus on damage, 50% lighter than steelSlashing weapons only
BronzewoodMetalExtremely hard wood500 per poundWeight 10% less than steel-
ByeshkMetalPurple sheen1,500Gain +1 Enhancement bonus on damage, certain creatures (in Eberron) are vulnerable to thisBludgeoning weapons only
CalomelMetalPale gray, almost translucent, and water droplets constantly condense on the naked item2x priceBypass DR of creatures with fire subtype as if it were magical-
Cold IronMetalSpecial iron mined deep underground & forged at low temperatures.2x priceBypass DR/cold ironAdds +2,000 gp to cost of enchantments
CrystalMetalFortified crtsyal similar to masterwork steel, except for appearanceMasterworkHardness 8, 25hp/inch of thickness-
Damascus SteelMetalRare metal with wood-drain patterning3,000Bypass DR/adamantine. Ignore 20 pts of hardness. 30% more hp than steel-
DarkwoodWoodRichly coloured wood that is strong and light10 gp per poundWeight 50% less-
DarksteelMetalPurple metal1,500Weapon deals +1 Electric damage.-
Deep CrystalMetalCrystal of above-average quality, found at the hearts of large veins1,000As Crystal for non-Psionic characters. If Psionic, as a free action that does not provoke AoO, wielder can channel psionic power into weapon. For 2PP, weapon deals +2d6 damage, will remain charged for 1 min or until next hit. Hardness 10, 30 hp/inch thickness-
DensewoodWoodStrong, hard, heavy wood similar to iron2x priceHardness 8 (comparable to stone), 20 hp per inch of thickness. DC for breaking increases by 5. weights twice as much-
DlarunMetalBone-white metal, often mistaken for ivory, with a greenish sheen in candlelight. Also known as Icesteel1,500Weapon deals +1 Frost damage.Can never be enchanted with fire effects (e.g. Flaming)
DragonboneWoodA thigh (or similarly large bone) of a dragon100 + Mighty costRange increment +20 ftComposite bow (short or long) only
Dragonfang-A tooth or claw of a dragon300Treated as Masterwork. In addition to +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls, deals 1 point of non-magical energy damage, type of which is based on dragon's breath weapon (if dragon has a breath weapon that deals energy damage). This damage does not stack with other energy damage of same type dealt by weapon.Slashing or Piercing
DuskwoodMetalA smoky gray wood as hard as iron, but very light1,500Any steel or mostly steel weapon is considered Masterwork and weighs 50%.-
Fever IronMetalVolcanic, semi-solid metal, influenced by the Weave, and made solid hrough magical process1,500Weapon deals +1 Fire damage.Can never be enchanted with cold effects (e.g. Frost)
Flametouched IronMetalIron speckled with red1,000Weapon is considered Good-aligned-
Frystalline-Pale gold crystal2,000Weapon is considered Good-aligned. Hardness 10, 15hp per inch of thickness-
GoldMetalAlchemically treated gold2,500Weapon deals +1 Acid damage and +1 Fire damage. Becomes heavy weapon, dealing damage as though one size category larger, and becoming an Exotic Weapon. Weight 200%Can never use Weapon Finesse with a heavy weapon. Can wield a heavy weapon 1 size too small without non-proficiency penalty.
HizagkuurMetalPale silvery-gray metal1,500Weapon deals +1 Electric damage and +1 Fire damage.Can never be enchanted with cold effects (e.g. Frost)
LivewoodWoodGreen-coloured hardwood with a highly magical nature1.5x priceTreated like normal wood, except for following. Plant Growth causes worked livewood to sprout small branches and leave, though diminish plants has no effect. Speak With Plants allows character to communicate with it, though item has no more awareness of surroundings than normal plant. Blight deals damage to object as though plant creature (1d6/lvl, ignores hardness), can use Tree Stride to more from one Livewood object to another. Hardness 6 and 10 hp per inch of thickness-
Mage-Forged Electrum-White-gold metal50/225/450Ignored the DR of elemental creatures, but takes a -1 penalty to attack and damage against Outsiders, Undead, and Aberrations-
MithglinMetalAn alloy of one part adamantine and two parts mithral1,750Bypass DR/adamantine. Ignore 17 pts of hardness. Hardness 17, 35hp per inch of thickness. Weight 75%-
MithralMetalSilvery, glistening metal-/2500/5000Weapon can be used with the Weapon Finesse feat, -1 penalty to damage-
Mournlode, PurpleMetalMottled purple700Bypass DR of undead as if it were cold iron or alchemical silver, whichever is more appripriate-
OerthbloodMetalMetal containing black flakes6,000+1 Luck bonus on damage, foe damaged receives stacking -1 penalty on saves vs magical effects for 1 round-
OrichalcumMetalA rare metal of dusty rose colouration500/2,000/3,000Treat your BAB as higher for the purpose of determining maximum penalty to attack with Power Attack or Combat Expertise, 1 higher for Light weapons, 2 higher for One-Handed weapons, 3 higher for Two-Handed weapons. Additionally, gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls when using those feats, a +2 bonus if penalty >= -5, or a +3 bonus if penalty >= -10.-
Pandemonic SilverMetalIron bonded with extradimensional silver.9,000/11,000/13,000All properties of Alchemical Silver, if unsheathed in at least a light breeze, weapon 'screams', causing everyone within 30 ft bar wielder to make a Will save vs Cover for 1d4 rounds, DC based on wind strength. Light (0-10) DC10, Moderate (11-20) DC13, Strong (21-30) DC16, Severe (31-50) DC19, Windstorm (51-74) DC22, Hurricane (75-154) DC25, Tornado (175-300) DC28Slashing or Piercing
PearlsteelMetalGleaming, shining steel covered with a blue-white sheen1,500When used in water, damage is reduced by -2 instead of half, unless Slashing, where only reduced by -1. Weight 25% less-
PlatinumMetalAlchemically treated platinum2,500Weapon deals +1 Cold damage and +1 Sonic damage. Becomes heavy weapon, dealing damage as though one size category larger, and becoming an Exotic Weapon. Weight 200%Can never use Weapon Finesse with a heavy weapon. Can wield a heavy weapon 1 size too small without non-proficiency penalty.
Riedran CrysteelMetalIron / crystal alloy1,500If weilder has at least 1 Psionic power point, has +1 Enhancement to damage-
Rimefire IceWoodPale blue ice that gives off 20’ radius of illumination. Melts if in temeratures over 40 degrees.750Treated as wood and can be fashioned as such, touching it causes 1 Cold damage per round-
SerrenWoodWood from Arvandor, the uppermost of Arborea’s three layers4,000Grant Ghost-Touch ability to fired arrows as an Ex abilityBows only
ShiftsilverMetalSilver mystically hardened with moonlight and a Shifter’s blood1,500Always masterwork, treated as alchemical silver for overcoming DR, does +2 damage to creatures with DR/silver, if Shifter forged Shiftsteel weapon using own blood, receives +1 bonus on attacks-
SilverMetalAlchemically treated silver1,000Bypasses DR/silver, and deals +1 damage to creatures with DR/silver-
StarmetalMetalGreen metal5,000Bypass DR/adamantine. Ignore 20 pts of hardness. Deal +1d6 damage vs Extraplanar creatures on Material Plane-
Stygian Ice-Black ice that oozes pale blue mist.6,050Contact (including wielding) deals +1d6 Cold damage, +2 Wis damage (WillNeg DC12), at 0 Wisdom, victim takes 2 Con damage, at 0 Con, victim rises as a Wraith in 2d4 rounds. Each time wielder deals damage, must make DC15 Reflex save or weapon takes damage also. 5hp per inch of thickness, hardness 3, fire damage not halved against it. Takes 1 point of damage each round it exists in environment above freezing. As it melts, gives off fumes that nauseate anyone within 5 ft, FortNeg DC12-
Solarion True-SteelMetalFine iron with a silvery gleam1,000Gain +1 bonus on confirmation of Critical Threat roll-
TargathMetalSoft metal30/100/200Anyone wearing or carrying Targath receives +2 Resistance bonus to Fort saves vs disease. Certain creatures (in Eberron) are vulnerable to this-
ThinaunMetalDark glittering steel10,000/15,000/20,000If in contact with a body when it dies, creature's soul becomes trapped in weapon and cannot be raised. If weapon present when raise attempted, requires only have material components.-
ZalantarWoodRichly coloured wood that is strong and light10 gp per poundWeight 50% less-

You can re-fluff any of them as "space metals" or space debris interacting oddly with natural environs if you like.

shaikujin
2016-10-11, 01:42 AM
Since crystals and gemstones are associated with psionics, another source of inspiration may be Magic of Faerun.

That book has a list describing the bonus of different gemstones when they are attached to a wand.

Eg, if Rubies gives +2 CL to Fire spells, you can make Dragonshard infused Diamonds, which when attach to a weapons, add +2 damage or +2 CL to Fire related WSAs.

Having an existing list to use as inspiration makes a lot of things easier.

Sayt
2016-10-11, 01:43 AM
Pathfinder has the Skymetals (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/technologyGuide/hazards.html#skymetal), which are extraterrestial metals, all of which, barring Djzet, of which can be used as metal weapons (Although some require precautions)

Afgncaap5
2016-10-11, 01:58 AM
You can re-fluff any of them as "space metals" or space debris interacting oddly with natural environs if you like.

Aye, I may well do this. While I want to reserve things like Adamantine and Starmetal (can't believe I forgot that one...) for metals that fall from meteors, another thing I'm thinking about doing for some other things would be having them come from some of the twelve moons (or possibly from a fragment of the now-destroyed thirteenth moon.) Thanks for the list. :smallsmile:

Since crystals and gemstones are associated with psionics, another source of inspiration may be Magic of Faerun.

That book has a list describing the bonus of different gemstones when they are attached to a wand.

Eg, if Rubies gives +2 CL to Fire spells, you can make Dragonshard infused Diamonds, which when attach to a weapons, add +2 damage or +2 CL to Fire related WSAs.

Having an existing list to use as inspiration makes a lot of things easier.

Nice idea. I don't have many Forgotten Realms books (I tend to stay in either Greyhawk or Eberron when not using my own setting) but those look a lot like some of the things I was considering cribbing from one of the 4e Eberron books that had something like a grand total of two magical Focus items that used Syberis shards. I don't have Magic of Faerun but I might be able to get it from a friend who has a few more books than I do. Thanks.

shaikujin
2016-10-11, 02:25 AM
Here's a cheatsheet, so you don't need the actual source book.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?304193-3-5-Wand-Dorje-Gems-Guide

The table formatting was mangled by the forum migration, but it should still be readable :)