PDA

View Full Version : I need a defensive spell for my bard

NecroDancer
2016-10-10, 07:55 PM
My lore bard is level 6 and I need to choose a defensive spell for one of my magical secrets. I want the spell to be different (not just an AC boasting spell) and so far I have my eyes set on either "blink" or "mirror image" (shouldn't that spell already be on a bards spell list?). I can only choose one of these spells because my other magical secret is going to be counter spell. My other spells are:
LEVEL 1: charm person, faerie fire, identify, cure wounds
LEVEL 2: invisiblity, silence, suggestion
LEVEL 3: major image, hypnotic pattern

Wondermndjr
2016-10-10, 10:21 PM
Mirror Image, if your heart is set on a defensive spell. No concentration and is a very solid defensive boost. OTOH there is debate about whether it will protect you from spells that force saves instead of attacking, like Hold Person. Ask your DM about that. Blink will definitely protect you from those, but it's unreliable and you can be screwed over by RNG. Also, Blink uses a higher level slot.

If you aren't completely sure about a defensive spell, Find Steed is the cheesiest option available. The wording lets you target your steed with spells like Cone of Cold, which say the range is "Self." Of course this is heavily subject to DM fiat. You can also look at picking up Bless for buffing, Spiritual Weapon for damage, and Spiritual Guardians for AoE offense (clerics get all the good spells). Whatever your party lacks, you can fill that gap. Counterspell is certainly a great choice for the second slot but it's not mandatory.

Biggstick
2016-10-10, 10:49 PM
What are your current stats? What level is the game going to reach? What is your role in the party during combat? Outside of combat? These pieces of information will help us pick out a solid spell.

Edit: took a closer look at your spell list. Drop Cure Wounds and pick up Healing Word. Using a spell as a bonus action ranged heal will be of a higher usefulness to your efficiency in combat.

Specter
2016-10-10, 10:54 PM
Mirror Image won't use your concentration, but won't protect you from saves.

Blink will save you from everything, but you'll need to rely on luck.

Other alternatives are Haste, Shield of Faith, Blur and Misty Step.

Citan
2016-10-11, 02:57 AM
My lore bard is level 6 and I need to choose a defensive spell for one of my magical secrets. I want the spell to be different (not just an AC boasting spell) and so far I have my eyes set on either "blink" or "mirror image" (shouldn't that spell already be on a bards spell list?). I can only choose one of these spells because my other magical secret is going to be counter spell. My other spells are:
LEVEL 1: charm person, faerie fire, identify, cure wounds
LEVEL 2: invisiblity, silence, suggestion
LEVEL 3: major image, hypnotic pattern
Hi! :=)

My suggestions:
- Mirror Image if you have high DEX and need concentration for something else.
- Armor of Agathys if you don't have high DEX, need concentration for something else and wade sometimes into melee.
- Haste if you don't have high DEX, don't need concentration and stays afar from melee (dropping concentration means you are powerless for a round, if among enemies, high chance of death).
- Blur or Blink if you don't have high DEX but don't need concentration (Blur is perfect against attackers, Blink does rely on luck but you will usually get the perk often enough to make it reliable. Note though that since you can't control it, there may be some situations where it actually works against you, since even your allies cannot interact with you).

djreynolds
2016-10-11, 03:13 AM
Magic secrets, can you grab the shield spell? My favorite. Simple and elegant.

Just grab resilient wisdom is nice.

Conjure animals, makes for a nice buffer.

Mirror image is probably your best choice, right up there with blur, and together both saved my wizards bacon.

A level in wizard, cheesy, but it will give you access to as many 1st level wizard spell scrolls you can buy or scrounge for having a 13 in intelligence.

JellyPooga
2016-10-11, 04:01 AM
As is frequently the case, who else is in the party and if there's any spellslingers, what are their spells known? This should influence your decision too.

If you don't have a Druid or Ranger, for exampe, Pass Without Trace is one of the best party buffs going. Nothing quote says "defence" like avoiding a fight altogether by sneaking the whole party around an encounter. Beacon of Hope is another party buff that is often overlooked I think, but a powerful defence; advantage on Wis Saves in a fight against a spellcaster could be a lifesaver, not to mention the more literal lifesaving advantage on death saves and max healing.

Then there's the question of what sort of defence you're looking for. Spiritual Guardians, for example is ostensibly an offensive spell because it's a direct damage spell. It so produces a visible manifestation that is likely to warn off potential attackers, making it a potent ward against attack; no defence like a good offence and all that. Another tack to take, on the aggressive defence front is debuffs; Slow is an excellent defence.

Alternatively, a battlefield control spell might be up your alley; Plant Growth, Sleet Storm and Wind Wall could be options.

As I say, though, this decision needs to take into account who else is in the party, what your role in the party is and how far you're willing to stretch the definition of the word "defence".

MrStabby
2016-10-11, 04:31 AM
counterspell is probably the best defensive spell a Lore Bard can pick up.

It is superb in terms of power, it keeps your action free and works superbly with Jack of All trades.

odigity
2016-10-11, 04:57 AM
counterspell is probably the best defensive spell a Lore Bard can pick up.

It is superb in terms of power, it keeps your action free and works superbly with Jack of All trades.

Would you call it superbest?

Feuerphoenix
2016-10-11, 05:20 AM
Maybe also Sanctuary is a viable choice, since none of your spells are forcing attack rolls for you+ no con+first lv!

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-11, 06:43 AM
Someone above said Find Steed because cheese. Ignore that. It was debunked from working that way two years ago.

Citan
2016-10-11, 08:58 AM
Someone above said Find Steed because cheese. Ignore that. It was debunked from working that way two years ago.
?? I don't see what cheese you could make with Find Steed. Out of curiosity, could you plz point out a thread explaining the concept?

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-11, 09:20 AM
?? I don't see what cheese you could make with Find Steed. Out of curiosity, could you plz point out a thread explaining the concept?
First response is bad advice, that's all I was saying.

<snip>
If you aren't completely sure about a defensive spell, Find Steed is the cheesiest option available. The wording lets you target your steed with spells like Cone of Cold, which say the range is "Self." Of course this is heavily subject to DM fiat.
<snip>

It doesn't matter that CoC has a range of Self, you are not the target of the spell and therefore cannot share it with your Steed.
Range =/= Target
If you want a thread about it, do a search, there are tons of them.

Citan
2016-10-11, 10:26 AM
First response is bad advice, that's all I was saying.

It doesn't matter that CoC has a range of Self, you are not the target of the spell and therefore cannot share it with your Steed.
Range =/= Target
If you want a thread about it, do a search, there are tons of them.
Thanks, did miss that post.
And no need to search, I really don't see how any DM could accept that. This is plain incoherent however you look at it, because it is just confusing the range of the spell (cone, with just an indication that the point of origin is self) with the actual target (obviously everything other than self which happens to be in the area).

How could even someone try to make this happen is a true mystery to me. XD

Zanthy1
2016-10-11, 10:33 AM
I'm gonna go with either mirror image or spiritual guardians. I had a cleric who was scared of fighting so every encounter he just put that up around himself and would casts buffs and heals from within. At lower levels it worked wonders cause weaker mobs would just die on their way to me. At higher levels still worked, just not as effectively as cause the baddies have higher HP.

Ashrym
2016-10-11, 01:48 PM
Control spells are a good defense. Blindness/deafness removes line of sight as part of the blind condition and has attacks coming in at disadvantage usually. I would personally inflict blindness to help the entire party instead of a single person spell. Bit of a trade off in that a person knows he or she will get some benefit from mirror image or blur while there is a save involved in other spells.

Given the number of concentration spells on the list already I think the choices should definitely be looking at spells that don't require concentration, although I would add bane to the list as something cheap and not often considered. The CHA save on it is useful, it gives an effective AC increase, and it allows for landing vicious mockery more easily.

If you want a recommendation between mirror image or blink then I would go with mirror image. If it were me, I would probably take blindness/deafness and cast it in a 3rd level slot for accuracy reasons. Picking spells is always a tough choice at any rate.

NecroDancer
2016-10-11, 06:35 PM
The rest of the people in my party are:

A life cleric who is a blaster/healer

An arcane trickster who the scout/glass canon.

A devotion paladin who is a tank that can nova