PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Halloween One-Shot?

thedanster7000
2016-10-11, 11:47 AM
I'm going to be running a horror (or just spooky zombies, etc.) one-shot at Halloween with 3-5 friends. We're going to be using Roll20 and it'd ideally be some sort of survival, defend-the-base scenario where the players would eventually die, perhaps returning as undead, but with a twist to make it more interesting than that. Any mystery or secretive PVP ideas would be a bonus.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Saint Jimmy
2016-10-11, 12:03 PM
If you have ever played Mafia you know what I am talking about. You could have one who is secretly a vampire and wants the party to fail, but the others don't know who he/she is. They have to find out who the vampire is, while fighting the zombies. The challenge for the vamp is to appear like he or she is on the people's side, but still win. If you like this idea I can elaborate on it more.

ComaVision
2016-10-11, 12:21 PM
There's a cool adventure I was just reading about for D&D 3.5 that sounds like that.

It's called Tammeraut's Fate and it's in Dungeon magazine #106. The gist is that the group gets stranded on an island as undead start swarming the building they're in. They have prep time to barricade the place or set traps etc.

thedanster7000
2016-10-11, 04:18 PM
@Saint Jimmy
Sounds precisely what I was looking for, if it would work over Roll20, please continue.

@ComaVision
The premise sounds good, but I'm trying to get away from D&D as I don't personally feel it fits a horror atmosphere, I could easily be wrong though I suppose.

Saint Jimmy
2016-10-11, 05:00 PM
Cool! Unsure of what roll20 is, assuming that it is some sort of d&d. Basically it's just role playing, the vampire shouldn't be any different then the players. I would avoid them having to kill someone every night like in mafia though. From what you said there are not enough players, although with more that would be interesting. The vamp basically wants to secretly help the undead, but obviously wants to appear like he or she is helping the players. I would also reccomend having players secretly write actions they want to do on a sticky note or something and hand it to you so it's not obvious who ruined the barricade and stuff. For that matter, if you let them set stuff up, the vamp can sabotage it. They can do anything they want like normal d&d, just make sure whoever is the vamp is ok with it and has a decent stealth score. Also keep a sheet of each player handy for doing opposed rolls like stealth vs perception, so they don't know who the vamp is.
Is that good, or do u need more clarification? Glad it helps, I may do this now!

thedanster7000
2016-10-12, 01:56 AM
Cool! Unsure of what roll20 is, assuming that it is some sort of d&d. Basically it's just role playing, the vampire shouldn't be any different then the players. I would avoid them having to kill someone every night like in mafia though. From what you said there are not enough players, although with more that would be interesting. The vamp basically wants to secretly help the undead, but obviously wants to appear like he or she is helping the players. I would also reccomend having players secretly write actions they want to do on a sticky note or something and hand it to you so it's not obvious who ruined the barricade and stuff. For that matter, if you let them set stuff up, the vamp can sabotage it. They can do anything they want like normal d&d, just make sure whoever is the vamp is ok with it and has a decent stealth score. Also keep a sheet of each player handy for doing opposed rolls like stealth vs perception, so they don't know who the vamp is.
Is that good, or do u need more clarification? Glad it helps, I may do this now!
Roll20 is an online tabletop service where all players have a constant view of the same map, the vampire could message privately, and the map could only be active during combat perhaps, or give supposed locations.

Thanks! This looks like it'll run well.

Saint Jimmy
2016-10-12, 08:52 AM
Your welcome! Online it should actually be easier to hide the identity of the vampire from the other players. Good luck!