PDA

View Full Version : On the High Seas (IC)

Croverus
2016-10-11, 01:13 PM
The gulls sound in the port as ships come and go, unloading goods from distant islands and loading up passengers and cargo to be taken to other destinations, some going to the same islands they come from while others head to other coastal cities. Traveling by ship was sometimes safer or faster than traveling by the roads, as bandits had been a more common danger on the back roads that branch of from the High Road that leads to the capital. The trade town of Aurendel spans the Twin Rivers as they empty into the ocean, large bridges acting both as a way to cross the rivers and as spots to dock for river-worthy boats. The mid-day sun shines on the town as traders and shoppers move about in the bustling town.

Near the ocean docks is a small Tavern, the Sour Kipper. It is here that three travelers will begin some grand adventure or another. With the ocean before them and the mainland behind, their possibilities are endless, as long as they can learn to work together and find a common goal. Coin could do for now, but time will tell. The Sou Kipper, like many taverns, has a posting board near the bar with various rewards being offered for slaying monsters, guarding merchants, or exploring the wilds.

tieren
2016-10-12, 01:26 PM
Lars sat in a corner of the inn idly plucking on his Lute and picking at the bread and cheese which he ordered with his ale.

His Lady had sent word through one of her Pixie messengers that her eyes were turned towards the sea and his presence was desired in this theater, so he had come. Many leagues in the saddle of his untrained Mastiff had left him a sore and tired gnome, but the omens had been clear that She wanted him coming this way.

Whatever She asked of him it was his pleasure to do, for he loved his Lady and would faithfully serve her in all ways for always. She wanted him at sea and he would get there.

He was reminded of a sea shanty once taught to him by a satyr friend of his and he began to hum a few bars while strumming the melody...

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-13, 02:13 PM
Heavy footsteps mark the entrance of Rylie, a large female dragonborn with pale bronze scales and piercing blue eyes. She pauses briefly to let her eyes adjust, then sidles over to the bar. She sits near the far end where she can keep eyes on the space as well as the entrance. When the barkeeper comes for her order she delivers it in a low gravely voice, then looks towards the job posting board with an air of disinterest.

yutikohyla
2016-10-13, 05:56 PM
Torin stands, taking a moment to stretch. He had been spending time sitting on the docks while reading over some of his books. Inhaling the salty sea air he smiles and lets out a sigh of pleasure. Putting his books away Torin begins walking towards town.

Time for some breakfast. He thought to himself. I should also check the board as well. Could be an interesting job posted there.

Reaching the Sour Kipper he strolls to the bar. After ordering a small breakfast of sausage and toast he sits at a nearby table. He begins to hum while he pulls out his map. His eyes stroll across it, as if looking for something that is not there.

Croverus
2016-10-14, 12:40 PM
A while passes after the third of the intrepid adventurers arrives at the Tavern when a Crier enters, walking over tot he board and taking down some completed papers and adding a few new jobs tot he board. He then takes out a rather large poster and turns to all in the Tavern.

"Hear ye, hear ye! The Merchant Prince Federand Alithos calls for heroes to sail to the Isle of Blackwater and assist in establishing an outpost in the name of the Highever Trading Guild! Applicants are to report to the docks by sunrise tomorrow to Captain Alexia Vendet and speak with the Guild representative! All applicants accepted for this job will be paid 100 gold up front, an additional 100 gold upon safe arrival of the ship to the Isle, and further payments based on the time it takes to establish the outpost! Food and lodging will be paid for by the guild during this time!"

At this he puts the post on the wall beside the board as it would take up half the board by itself. Several adventurers that are in the tavern go to take a look but most shake their head, muttering that it's not worth the risk. A couple do check the board and some leave, possibly to claim some of the new jobs.

yutikohyla
2016-10-14, 04:26 PM
Alithos? That name sounds somewhat familiar. What was the name of that island though? Torin gets up to check the newest posting at the board. Reading over it he goes back to consult his map. His puts his finger to the mainland and aimlessly circles the coastline looking for the Isle of Blackwater. After checking and then double checking he realizes that it is not on his map.

"Oh ho! An unmapped island ripe for exploration. Possibly even lost tomes?!" He was talking to himself, but his voice had definitely risen to a near shout in his excitement. Torin jauntily walks back over to his table to have his breakfast. He would have to make preparations. Find somewhere to stow his boat and stable his camel, Manfred. Of course there was the possibility that he would be able to bring them both.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-14, 04:45 PM
Rylie only half noticed the elf up until he began to excitedly shout about the new posting. A slight twitch of her lip reveals fangs, she growls after Torin.

Indeed, surely you have saved us all the trouble of reading it ourselves.

With an irate flick of her ear she turns back to quietly regard the new posting while shoveling a heaping forkful of her meal into her mouth.

tieren
2016-10-14, 09:43 PM
Larz strums a quick finale and walks over to the elf with the map.

Hullo friend, I am Larson Gustavo of Murkudo in the Bleak Swamp of Olindare, Green Knight of the Lady Isaboe (fanfare of french horns sounds as a result of minor illusion cantrip). Did I hear you say the island from the poster isn't on your map?

How good are your maps? Do you believe the island may just be too far to appear?

Like yourself my Lady has a great love of forgotten lore and wild places.

If you intend to journey to this place it would be my pleasure to accompany you. We may have an edge in getting the work if we apply together.

yutikohyla
2016-10-16, 06:50 AM
Torin tries to quickly swallow his breakfast to address the gnome and ends up slightly choking. "Ack. Excuse me, you just took me off guard."

He extends his hand out to the gnome. "My name is Torin Wirfet, it is a pleasure to meet you." He motions for the gnome to join him at his table. He smooths out the map so it is easier to see. Casting Prestidigitation, Torin will light up the land outside of the central continent.

"There is nothing on this map named Isle of Blackwater. I double check my map every week or so with whatever the locals have. It's actually been a long time since I've added anything to my map." He offers Larson some of his un-eaten breakfast. He points to the outside edge of the map. "According to the posting, the Island should be somewhere on the outer rim of this map. In the Mists of the Edge. Have you heard of it?"

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-16, 10:01 AM
Rylie drops her payment for breakfast on the counter then lurks over towards the Gnome and Elf. She easily peers over them at the map.

"It is a strange place" she rumbles matter of factly.

She breathes deeply and adds"I would join you in taking this job if you wisps would accept me."

tieren
2016-10-16, 09:33 PM
Lars turns around from his study of the map, and looks, up and up (and up).

Well hello there, you are a tall drink of water aren't you? I don't presume to speak for my new elfin friend here, but I always appreciate more company. The more the merrier I always say, and the merrier the better.

Lars casts a quick prestidigitation himself to clean the grime from his face and the bread crumbs from his mustache, then hops up to stand on his chair and extends his hand

I am Larson Gustavo, but my friends call me Larz, in fact, I can't recall anyone that doesn't call me Larz (I have many friends)

yutikohyla
2016-10-17, 07:03 AM
Torin smiles and the newcomer, and bows his head down slightly. "Well hello there, Miss. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Torin."

Torin finishes his breakfast. Folding the map he places it back in his pack. "I would have no qualms about either of you joining me. In fact, I believe I would quite enjoy the company." He smiles at them.

That smile turns to a frown. He glances away and his hands idly play at his pants. "You may take issue joining myself though. I should let the both of you know ahead of time... I'm a devout pacifist. I will never cause harm to any creature. Good, evil, or trying to rip off my face it doesn't matter."

He perks up a little bit. He raises his arms waist high in a halfhearted shrug. "I am quite good at escaping combat though. I have a few tricks to halt or hinder. I suppose those could be useful to you if you were to be adamant about fighting."

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-17, 10:42 AM
Rylie dips her head in acknowledgement to each in turn. Her eye ridges quirk slightly Larz's magical cleaning, and she briefly focuses on him more intensely before addressing them both. "I- am Rylie."

Briefly a corner of her lip curls revealing several fangs, when Torin explains he is a pacifist. "All the more reason to have me." she states as she moves around the table to sit.

tieren
2016-10-17, 12:39 PM
The pacificism doesn't bother me, despite my intimidating physical presence, My Lady is of the Arch fey and encourages me to meet her goals through charm, wit, and cunning as often as brute force. Not that a nice magical boost isn't appreciated every now and then

Larz puffs up his chest to emphasize his physical might and gives Torin a wink.

In fact, have you ever heard the tale of the nymph the satyr and the troll? You see there was this nymph who lived in a pool in a stream who then had the displeasure of a troll taking up residence under a bridge over the stream, so the nymph came up with this plan to get the satyr..... Larz gleefully chats away for some time, occasionally using minor illusions to boost the performance...
and that is why they are called "cobble-stones"!

Larz laughs hysterically and looks about for the reactions of his new friends...

yutikohyla
2016-10-18, 09:41 AM
Torin claps his hands together. "Well, now that we have agreed to journey together... What shall we do with the day? The posting did say to meet at the docks tomorrow."

He grabs his pack and gets out of his chair. He puts a few coins on the table to pay for his meal. "I did not have anything in particular to do today. I would gladly accompany one, or both, of you. Otherwise I suppose I'll ask around about this island and we can meet at the docks tomorrow?"

tieren
2016-10-18, 10:45 AM
hmmm tough crowd, will need to break out the top shelf material next time...

I don't have any specific plans. I wonder if I should try to sell my mount or wait to see if we can bring him on the ship. Its a dog so wouldn't take up as much space as a horse. He'd be pretty useless on the ship but could come in handy exploring the island I suppose.

Do you think we should try to coordinate our outfits for tomorrow? Maybe if we all got matching cloaks or something it would give the impression we were an organized unit and not three strangers who met in a tavern.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-18, 12:32 PM
"I have no other plans." Rylie says, then adds "If we are to have matching cloaks, perhaps we should have a name as well."

Croverus
2016-10-19, 01:44 PM
The three adventures join together and prepare for the trip the next day, getting the matching cloaks to look more like a team and buying any supplies they need. The morning comes and the three head down tot eh docks, a riding dog and camel in tow. A large Goliath stands at the start of the dock the ship they will be on is tied up and greets them. He gets their names and notes they are a group, writing them onto a list. He lets them know that they are the first group of three to sign up so they'll probably get a spot for sure, and the boat they have can be used as an extra shoring boat, which is a bonus. There are a handful of other adventurers at the docks waiting, mostly solos and a couple of pairs. All of them mind their own business, though a few glance the trio over, curious about the group competing for a spot on this adventure.

yutikohyla
2016-10-19, 04:23 PM
Torin looks over the other applicants. He wondered how many would be joining them on their trip. He wondered how many would survive; assuming that the rumors were true. He wondered if the three of them would survive. Knowledge, strange creatures, ancient ruins, and death all flash in his mind. "Worth it."

He looks the boat over. He turns to the gnome and dragonborn. "I suppose that we are to wait here until decisions are made" He yawn, and rubs his belly slightly. "Kind of wish we had stopped for some breakfast. Mmmmm, eggs."

"I wonder how long our trip to the Isle is supposed to take." It had been awhile since Torin had truly been to sea. While he would like to take leisure in their going he was overly excited to see these Mists with his own eyes.

tieren
2016-10-20, 10:47 AM
Larz looks over the crowd looking for the largest warrior present.

You there! Do you care to prove your metal to our would be employers? I challenge you to a duel!

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-20, 12:04 PM
Rylie's stomach grumbles in response to Torins talk of breakfast, she fishes a food ration out of her pack and breaks it in half to offer to Torin.

"I do not think there are any eggs in this, but...." She turns to Larz as he throws out his challenge, she looks at him, then the rest of the travelers gathered on the dock.

"Interesting" she growls. She does nothing else but watch, curious to see what will become of Larz and any would be opponent.

Croverus
2016-10-20, 10:39 PM
A tall Krynn with broken horns turns and stomps over to Larz, towering over him. An equally large axe rests upon his back and he snorts, his ear twitching. "I accept your challenge. I am Draga of the Red Sand Isle. Prove your honor" At this he takes a step back and draws his axe. Other adventurers start to gather around the two, forming an impromptu ring.

yutikohyla
2016-10-21, 03:09 AM
Torin turns to Rylie. "This seems... unfair. Hope he knows what he is doing." Torin does not watch the fight.

tieren
2016-10-21, 07:57 AM
Well met Master Draga, thats the spirit!
I am Larz of HEDG, Green knight to the Lady Isaboe

I thank you for your willingness to participate in this demonstration and I hope it will give you an opportunity to show your prowess as well. I am often underestimated in these circumstances and feel a need to prove my worth, I imagine you don't have that problem.

Larz smiles at Draga, gets off the dog mount and dons his shield, loosens the lashings where his staff is secured behind him, and casts Armor of Agathys before turning around...

Know I mean you no ill will and will do what I can to heal any damage I will cause you after our duel is complete. Let us battle until one of us is knocked senseless or yields. Do you need any time to prepare yourself?

While waiting for Draga's response Larz uses his Eldritch sight to inspect the Krynn and see if he is using any magical equipment or currently under a magical spell effect.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-21, 10:43 AM
Rylie does not join the circle, but cranes her neck a little to keep an eye on the combatants.

"Not fair to who, I wonder".

She keeps unconsciously offering part of her rations to Torin.

Croverus
2016-10-21, 12:41 PM
Draga slams his chest with one fist while raising his axe and letting out a loud roar, his eyes seem to become bloodshot as he grips his weapon tightly and prepares to charge. The gathered adventurers start murmuring to each other about the fight, one halfing in leather armor starts going around taking bets from the crowd, seeming to be used to do such things. He approaches Torin and Rylie, "Any bets on who's gonna win. Money's on the Krynn to send the challenger into the sea with one good strike, though the smart money is that the challenger has some tricks up his sleeve. Odds are 3 to 1, minimum bet is 5 gold."

Draga charges forward with another roar and swings his axe, slamming it into Larz and slashing hard across his torso, blood spattering onto the dock. The chill cold clinging to Larz blasts outward, shards of ice hitting the Krynn as he backswings wildly, but aims too far to the left and misses. His axe splinters the wood of the docka nd he growls, turning his bloodshot gaze on the challenger.

You take 17 slashing damage from the axe. Your Armor of Agathys spell is expended and does 5 cold damage to Draga. Your turn.

tieren
2016-10-21, 05:35 PM
Larz reacts to the axe blow with a gesture towards the raging Krynn who is momentarily surrounded by swirling green flames.

Ho there big fella, you seem like you need to cool off a bit

Larz chants some archaic verses and Command's Draga to "SWIM"

Croverus
2016-10-21, 06:21 PM
Draga growls in pain from the flames and prepares to swing again at Larz when the word of his magic reaches the Krynn's ears. He pauses his attack and shakes his head, then turns and jumps off the dock into the water. After a few seconds he turns to look at Larz from the water and growls. "Cheap trick! Draga is coming up there and gonna toss YOU in head first!" He makes his way towards some spokes sticking out of a support beam to start climbing back up.

tieren
2016-10-21, 07:41 PM
Come now Master Draga, you couldn't have expected me to try to out muscle such a prime physical specimen as yourself, don't begrudge an old trickster his tricks.

Larz walks 20 feet up the dock from the support Draga is swimming towards and lays his hands on his chest to close the wound.

As Draga reaches the support and begins to climb up Larz walks another 20 feet and fires an eldritch blast down at him.

Croverus
2016-10-21, 08:10 PM
He growls as the eldritch energy crashes into him and leaps onto the dock. He roars and charges forward, not pulling his axe from his back and instead covering the distance to Larz in a full dash, ending it by snapping his head downward trying to bash Larz with his skull. Larz's shield deflects the charging Krynn just in time and he goes headfirst into the dock wood, tearing his horns free from the wood as he looms before Larz, blood at the corner of his mouth.

tieren
2016-10-21, 09:31 PM
after rebounding from the narrowly deflected bulls rush, Larz draws his staff over his shoulder and swings it at his opponent.

Rylie, Torin, please take note that if he does toss me in the water I will be in immediate need of rescue as I will sink like a rock in this armor.

Calls Larz above the din of the melee.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-21, 09:48 PM
Rylie makes a show of shaking her own chain-mail "I would advise that you not get thrown in the drink!" She shouts back, though she is already dropping her pack and stalking around the crowd to keep a more active view of Larz.

Croverus
2016-10-22, 04:34 AM
Larz's staff makes a loud crack sound of wood on bone as it strike the Krynn right in between his eyes, blood dripping down from the wound. Somewhat dazed, Draga swings down wildly with his axe, which completely misses Larz and embeds the entire blade into the wood. Draga tries pulling it free but failing to do so immediately he lets out a huff and then sighs, standing up straight and holding up a hand, palm out and fingers spread. "Draga concedes, Larz of HEDG. Draga cannot beat you in this fight. You may use tricksy magicks, but a good warrior uses what they have." He makes a fist with one hand and brings it to his brow then extends it down and forward, hand opening witht he palm up as a Krynn sign of respect.

As several of the adventurers gathered pay up or get paid for bets they have made, a loud whistle blows from the ramp up tot he ship and a tall Goliath makes his way down the walkway, stopping with clipboard in hand. A figure steps out from behind the Goliath, a female being with a combination of sylvan and feline features, including elven ears, cat eyes, and very sharp looking claws. She wears a green long coat with silver buttons and trimming and a red under short, with black boots and pants. The Goliath hands her the clipboard and she takes it, scanning it briefly before speaking.

"I am Captain Alexia Vendet. This is my ship, the Sea Tigress. Six of you will be hired onto as temporary crew members of my ship, and upon reaching the rumored Isle of Blackwater, will be under the order of the representative of the Highever Trading Guild, which would be Mister Glade, whom all of you spoke with when you first stepped on this private dock and had your name placed on this list an hour ago. I must say we have quite an outcome for this, though only two groups actually signed up,a nd small ones at that. The rest of you lot signed up as solo adventurers, a habit I encourage you to change in the future as it will get you killed with no one to care. Best case the contract you are on includes others and they will bring your body back to your hometown for a proper burial. Worst case one of your "fellow" adventurers decides to kill you and take your stuff just as the contract is completed, and keep your cut of the reward for the rest of the group. Now then, onto the six who will be coming.

Of the two groups we have the only group of three, the HEDG Knights... I am not goign to bother asking about the acronym as I don't care. But you're a group, or at least pretending to be, and that's what the job was asking for. Also of all those that applied no others have a boat of their own and we could certainly use that. The other group is a pair of adventurers from the Champions of Fate Adventuring Guild. Glad to have your service, it is always a good thing to have professionals on board. Of the 7 individuals who applied alone I had only one more choice to make and with this sorry list the only that stood out is... Draga of the Red Sand Isle. Draga, I know of your clan, met your father for a time even. It'll be good to have a Krynn on board. That is my selection, the rest of you can bugger off to the drink hole you wait in. The six selected shall report on deck within 20 minutes with everything you are taking with you. The Goliath to my side is my First Mate Ogren. He will show the 6 of you where your quarters will be and we will discuss what roles you can help with on the ship. This is not a free ride, you will be expected to do some work on the voyage. That is all."

With that she turns on her heels and heads back to the ship, not stopping for any questions. Ogren shoos away the adventurers that did not make the cut and then asks the six to follow him on board. The two adventurers from the so called Champions of Fate include a female gnome with deep tan skin, bright golden eyes and short green hair that seems to spike up in random directions, wearing leather armor and carrying a longbow and quiver on her back and a dagger and handaxe in her belt. The other adventurer has a heavy cloak and at first glance seems to be a figure wearing very ornate armor made of metal and wood, though the figure's face is covered by a visor and hood. The figure stands roughly 6 feet tall and is broader than most humans. They and Draga begin to follow Ogren towards the ship. Draga pauses to speak to Larz, "Now we shall see how we do side by side."

tieren
2016-10-22, 06:47 AM
Thank you Draga, you are a powerful and honorable warrior. It took nearly everything I had to stave off your attacks, but let it not be said that I am not a man of my word.

Larz reaches up and touches the Krynn casting Cure wounds, using his final spell slot.

I am sorry I don't have more strength left to do more, perhaps my cleric companion can offer some additional assistance.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-22, 07:55 AM
As the match comes to an end, Rylie retrieves her pack and gives Torin a clap on the shoulder, then joins Torin and Draga, who she acknowledges with a nod.

"Well met." She says, then intones several words of healing for the Krynn.

[roll0]

tieren
2016-10-23, 04:21 PM
After healing Draga, Larz gets his dog and leads him after the Captain towards the gang plank onto the ship. He requests permission to come aboard and then proceeds to introduce himself to the crew and inquire after where to store the dog and where their berths will be.

Also, if time permits would definitely try to squeeze in a short rest, even volunteering for a night watch to accomplish it asap.

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-23, 06:59 PM
Rylie inclines her head sheepishly at the weak effects of her spell.

"I am not a "cleric" in the truest sense. You may call me Rylie Wiivai...clanless." She nods to Draga again, then plods towards the ship after the rest of the crew.

Once on deck she asks after what duties she may perform while onboard, adding that she is an able carpenter with her own tools should those services be needed.

yutikohyla
2016-10-24, 06:57 AM
Torin board the ship. He looks around to admire the woodwork. He catches up with Rylie and Larz, a small portion of a ration hanging from his mouth. Mmmph, sorry guys. I must have spaced out for a moment there. Fine ship though, wouldn't you say?"

When he knows which cabin is his he will unpack. After unpacking he heads back up to the deck. Brushing some hair off his brow he scans around for the First Mate or Captain to offer his services. It has been a long time since he crewed on a ship, but he did have experience. He simply hoped he wasn't resigned to scut work. "Ahoy! Captain! Ready for order, Ma'am."

Croverus
2016-10-25, 07:42 PM
Draga thanks both for the healing, which at the very least stops the bleeding from his head injury and heals some of the burns from Larz's magic. He boards, heading below deck with all the adventurers. The cabins that the group are brought two are dived into two rooms with three beds each. The First Mate leaves it up tot he adventurers how to divvy it up, noting each bed also has a nightstand beside it and a foot locker to store things. The Goliath gives them all a rundown of the ship, stating they are allowed to freely travel among the crew deck, the top deck, and tot he storage hold if being escorted by any crew member. The First mate takes Larz's dog down to the hold himself as well as Torin's camel. Torin's boat takes the empty space on the ship where a shore boat would have been. The crew are all about their work and few talk actively with Larz as he goes around introducing himself. Ogren does answer Larz about berths saying that there are a couple of islands on the way to where the Isle of Blackwater should be but until the Captain finds someone to plot out their course in more detail they'll be in open ocean for the time being.

After having a bit of time to get settled they can hear the crew going about departure preparations. The sails are let out and the Captain stands with her First mate at the helm as the helmsman brings them out of the docks. As they pull away so readies to give out the jobs as Torin approaches her. "Ah yes, your group application mentioned you had some experience on a ship, though I'm curious how good you are at navigation. We lost our previous navigator and several other crew while returning from our last job, lost the rowboat then too. We have a map in my quarters that you could use to plot out our course."

tieren
2016-10-26, 10:22 AM
Ahoy Captain! How may I be of service? I may not be a carpenter or navigator, but I have a strong arm and willing heart.

Croverus
2016-10-27, 01:50 PM
"Mr... Gustavo is it? I could use some extra hands in the rigging keeping the sails in proper position. Hope yo don't have a fear of heights." To other adventurers she also hands out jobs. Draga is asked to stand at the bow of the ship and help them with navigation, as Krynn are instinctively skilled at avoiding getting lost, even on the open ocean. The gnome from the Champions of Fate guild is tasked with assisting the chef in the kitchen, which she seems eager to do and promises to improve the quality of meals to a higher degree than to be expected on a long term trip at sea. The mysterious cloaked individual climbs up to the crow's nest to take watch. Rylie is the last to be assigned a job, and the Captain asks her to be a porter, moving goods from storage to wherever they are needed on the ship. Also Rylie is tasked with examining the ship periodically and perform any maintenance her skills with carpentry would allow.

tieren
2016-10-27, 03:10 PM
Aye Aye captain, I'll go stow my gear and report to the first mate for an assignment in the rigging.

Larz goes back to the cabin, removes his armor, pack, shield, lute and staff and stores them in his foot locker or on or under his bunk as space may allow. He then reports back the main deck and inquires after the first mate to find out where he is needed in the rigging and makes his assent.

yutikohyla
2016-10-28, 02:49 AM
"Navigation you say? Aye, Captain. That I can do. I shall chart us a course with haste." Torin heads into the cabin. He lays out all the charts and maps and begins plotting the course. While he is in there he will copy onto his own map any new information that he gained.

After plotting their course Torin sits around for a few minutes. On a separate map he then decides to plot their course as if leaving from each individual landmark along their way. Just in case they somehow get turned around and wind up at one of them.

When he is finished he returns to the deck. "First Mate! Our course has been set. By your leave, then?"

cobaltstarfire
2016-10-28, 09:18 AM
Rylie inclines her head to the captain and says "This job pleases me, I shall stay bellow deck unless called upon." Then she returns to the cabin where her companions have stowed their belongings to drop hers off as well. Once she is settled, she pops her head out of the door intent on spotting a crew member to help get her acquainted with the layout of the ship as well as give its condition an initial inspection.

Croverus
2016-10-28, 02:55 PM
The First mate, Ogren, follows Torvin in to look at the map and nods in approval. "Very thorough. The Captain will be pleased. We'll need you each day to spend time comparing our course with your charts to ensure we are on route. The Krynn that came aboard, the one your friend fought, he will be helping with that. Krynn are well known for their instincts at sea with avoiding getting off course. I'll let the Captain know you are finished. Your duties otherwise will be to check for any birds arriving with news for any aboard but otherwise do what you will. You and the other Adventurers will dine with the captain in the evenings, which will be in... two hours. Good day." After that, Ogren heads off to find the other Adventurers and inform each of them about the plans for dinner, insisting that they would not want to miss it.

Larz familiarizes himself with the rigging and meets three crew members who work up there, two halfelf twin brothers named Pike and Tike who seem almost a mirror image of each other. Getting people to mix them up seems to be a game of t heirs as they frequently claim they are the other twin for their own amusement. They are friendly and light on their feet, moving about the rigging almost gracefully. Th Third rigger Larz meets is a young human male who says his name is Jacub. He seems to have an aversion to wearing shirts, which shows off several nasty scars on his back. He is a bit gloomy, especially compared to the twins. Eventually Ogren calls up to Larz and tells him to come down and prepare for dinner with the Captain, and to go get the Champions of Fate adventurer who is up in the crow's nest keep watch.

Rylie meets another porter below deck, a humanoid with a bluish tint to his skin and hair that seems always damp. He tells her he is a Aquan, more commonly known as a Water Genasi on this plane. He introduces himself as Crash, and says that porting is good work as it gives him a lot of time to himself, to leave the ship and enjoy the waters when they are going at a slow pace. He shows her the fastest paths through the ship, as their are multiple pints to move between decks and some are more crowded than others, which he avoids both because he prefers not to be distracted and because it is easier to move things between these spots. Ogren eventually finds Rylie and tells her that she and the other Adventurers will be dining with the Captian each evening, before he goes to his own duties.

tieren
2016-10-29, 03:21 PM
Larz calls "aye, aye" down to Ogden and climbs up to the crows nest to meet the mysterious cloaked figure from the adventurers guild.

yutikohyla
2016-11-01, 03:25 AM
Torin spends time building a rapport with the crew. He helps them with their tasks until it is time to head to dinner. At such time he will knock on the door. "Torin reporting for dinner. Permission to enter, Captain?"

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-02, 11:37 AM
Rylie spends much of her time bellow decks, enjoying the simplicity of physical labor, and observing the ships status. Come dinner time she finds her way to where the captain and others are dining.

Croverus
2016-11-04, 01:48 PM
Larz climbs to the crow's nest and finds the mysterious figure gazing into the horizon through an interesting looking spyglass; interesting mainly for the fact that it has a crosshair on the glass and doesn't seem to fold up like most do, and the bottom of it a has some form of clip as if it could be mounted to something. The adventurer lowers and turns to regard Larz. Beneath the cloak Larz can only make out the ornate helmet the figure apparently wears, and strange eyes that glow a bright green. The figure speaks, his voice sounds slightly absent of emotion. "Ah, one of the HEDG Knights. Is there news from the deck? Assure teh First Mate I could remain up here the whole voyage with little issue if necessary."

The other two members of the HEDG Knights make their way to the captain's dining room where Captain Vendet, the First Mate, the Krynn Draga and the Gnome from the Champions of Fate are already there getting ready. A few have mugs of wine or ale already poured, though food has not been served. Also present in a somewhat round man wearing merchant's garb and constantly adjusting his cap while reading over a large book. The Captain greets Torvin and Rylie and offers them both drink and a spot at a long table, which has a well made meal of roasted meet, a wheel of cheese, several loaves of bread, and a large bowl of some sort of broth. There is also a variety of fruits in bowls.

tieren
2016-11-07, 09:09 AM
The adventurer lowers and turns to regard Larz. Beneath the cloak Larz can only make out the ornate helmet the figure apparently wears, and strange eyes that glow a bright green. The figure speaks, his voice sounds slightly absent of emotion. "Ah, one of the HEDG Knights. Is there news from the deck? Assure teh First Mate I could remain up here the whole voyage with little issue if necessary."

Hello there friend, we have not yet been properly introduced. My name is Larson Gustavo, green knight to the Lady Isaboe, now of the HEDG Knights. It is a pleasure to meet you.

The first mate told me to pass orders to you that we are to report to the Captain's quarters for dinner. I suspect she wants to speak with us about the upcoming legs of our adventure and wants us all present. it is my understanding the rest of your companions have also been summoned.

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-09, 09:35 AM
Rylie gives the captain a nod and takes a seat, she drinks sparingly of the offered drink.

"Your crew member Crash showed me your ship, there is nothing major to repair. Crash mentioned that there are barnacles, but that is beyond my scope."

yutikohyla
2016-11-09, 09:44 AM
"Good evening, Captain." Torin takes a seat next to Rylie. He takes a sip from his cup. He sits without a lean, and rubs slightly at the scar small scar above his eye. Looking around the table he admires the food. Sure it may not be extravegant, but it beats having to cast Prestidigitation on travel rations.

tieren
2016-11-10, 12:09 PM
Larz makes the acquaintance of the reclusive warforged adventurer and then heads down to the captain's quarters for dinner. Before entering he uses a couple of casts of prestidigitation to clean himself up and look (and smell) presentable to polite company.

He then enters the captain's quarters and finds himself a place at the table.

tieren
2016-11-11, 02:44 PM
Larz listens intently to the Captains words about the dangers they face and the options available to them.

I for one do not feel we are properly equipped to deal with an underwater threat like the militant merfolk encampment and we should give them a wide margin of safety.

At this point I am less concerned about the raiding pirates from the archipelago despite their efforts at domesticating the orca, and I believe it best to proceed through their territory.

Having been raised in a swamp I do not share the captains rather racially motivated hatred of the lizard folk and I see no particular reason to investigate their home and the rumors of cults forming on their island.

I am rather intrigued by the stories of the unusually intelligent carnivorous apes defending the golden temple at the top of the volcano on their island and would definitely be interested in investigating that if we can spare the time.

What do the rest of you think?

Croverus
2016-11-11, 04:04 PM
The hooded and cloaked figure is last to arrive, apologizing and taking up seat. He does not make any move to get any food or drink. The ranger from the guild speaks up. "I have encountered lizardfolk in my time and while some are not hostile, they are suspicious of outsiders so regardless of our intentions we should be cautious if we interact with them. The raiders should be handled relatively easily, that is what we were hired for. I agree we should avoid the merfolk."

Draga nods along having similar opinions about Larz's assessment. Then the Krynn points out the issue of payment upfront. At this the rotund man in the cap closes his book and nods nervously. "Quiet right. I was told to pay each of you 100 gold at the beginning of this journey. I can have that coin delivered to each of your beds. The primary mission for you lot is to protect the ship and upon arrival establish a region for myself and my men to begin setting up a site, acting as guards for the camp and securing the surrounding region of any potentially hostile creatures or groups by whatever means you can. Once the camp has been set up and the region secured we are expecting a supply ship from the merchant guild to arrive a week after our initial arrival, which will bring supplies and more guards. At that point you will all be paid the rest of the coin. The good Captain will be departing upon the arrival of the supply ship and will take back any who wish to return to the mainland, though any that wish to stay on can receive further payment for continued efforts guarding the site."

yutikohyla
2016-11-14, 06:12 PM
Torin sits silently and listens to the back and forth between everyone. He takes a small bite of cheese and bread. It's quite tasty to him even though the bread is a couple of days old. Eventually he stands up.

"Honestly I'd rather take my chances with the Merfolk. As territorial as they are they can be bargained with. Gold is harder to come by underwater so it is more precious to them. In addition; last I knew they were highly appreciative of those who spoke their language. I could be the liaison for us if it were to come to that.

Though I would agree with Larz in his assumption that the bandits are less of a threat... Orcas are no joking matter if they have somehow been tamed. In either case I still believe that there can still be a mostly direct route that avoids most of the territory of either. I've already charted our course, but if someone who knew more about areas of danger would like to take a look I would be pleased."

Torin sits back down and sips at his drink some more.

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-14, 09:20 PM
Rylie simply sits quietly listening to the others converse, occasionally taking small sips from her drink. When she finally feels a pause in the talk she leans forward and growls.

"Much of this ships damage is from pirate incursion. Captain, is there anything else you can tell us about these pirates?"

Croverus
2016-11-15, 10:00 PM
"They call themselves the Blooded Reapers. They are... a volatile group. They enjoy inflicting pain, often they take prisoners to torture for days on end. They will often use jagged blades, or coat their weapons in poisons or even alchemical fire to inflict grievous wounds. Rather than using a ship such as mine they prefer smaller skiffs and sailboats so they can surround a target and attack from multiple angles, boarding a ship as quickly as they can. We didn't see them do this the last time they attacked, but we have heard rumors that they will chum the waters to bring sea predators to the battle, adding a bit of chaos to the scene. They have never been negotiated with, and can only be driven off. Luckily we managed to avoid any damage tot eh Sea Tigress' main sail so we were not left dead in the water by their raid."

tieren
2016-11-17, 03:36 PM
Interesting, are we likely to encounter them on the route Master Torin has laid out for us?

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-17, 04:04 PM
Rylie nods acknowledgement to the captain, and settles back into her seat, her brows knotting together in thought.

yutikohyla
2016-11-18, 04:07 AM
"I say my assessment still stands i would rather try to strike deals with the merfolk than deal with the pirates."

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-18, 09:32 AM
"Aye" Rylie says in response to Torin.

"The merfolk do not sound like much of a threat. Crash did describe the damage caused by the pirates as from a ballista."

tieren
2016-11-18, 09:50 AM
I'm fine with whatever you all decide, but I would prefer to be on more even footing with an enemy that needs...well, footing, and air. But perhaps you are right and we can get by on diplomacy if need be.

Would anyone like me to go retrieve my lute for some entertainment for the evening?

Croverus
2016-11-20, 01:45 AM
The captain nods and encourages him to retrieve his instrument while she looks over the plans. She notes it will be a week before they have to make the decision of who to deal with, and at least with the merfolk there is a possibility of things ending diplomatically. When Larz returns with his lute, the hooded figure takes out a small pied pipe and plays along with whatever turn Larz starts up.

tieren
2016-11-21, 09:29 AM
Larz retrieves the lute from his room and returns to the gathering. He tells a couple of jokes while he tunes the strings, then begins to play a cheery tune called "My Lady Dances".

Croverus
2016-11-23, 05:16 AM
The music plays on and finally the Captain stands. "Thank you for joining me this evening. I am going to be calling it a night. Ogren will be on watch for most of the night. I suggest you all get some sleep, it has been a long day. May tomorrow bring smooth sailing." She toasts to the adventurers, then bids everyone a good evening as she heads to her cabin. The Merchant Guild Representative, Mister Glade, heads down to the cabin deck to get some sleep as Ogrin calls in two crew to clean the table, taking away the food and silverware and putting back the charts and maps. The gnome assists them, heading down to the cook to help preserve uneaten food before she goes to bed. The cloaked adventurer returns to the crow's nest, climbing up it methodically. Ogrin heads out onto the main deck to give out the orders to move into night sailing.

About half of the crew is still up, managing the sails and going about chores, taking shifts to allow everyone a decent rest. The helmsman has set the wheel so it stays on course, allowing him to catch a few winks of sleep as he stands on the top deck. The decks are dimly lit with lanterns.

tieren
2016-11-23, 08:56 AM
Lars also turns in for the night.

yutikohyla
2016-11-23, 05:15 PM
Torin will return to his room. Once there he goes into his trance. Once that is finished he will tidy himself up and begin to help the crew on the deck.

Croverus
2016-11-30, 04:26 PM
The sun rises the next day with no commotion occurring that night. Clouds gather in the sky and a light rain begins, making the mood above deck dreary. The morning routine is uneventful as each of the heroes goes about their duties. Around midday a thick mist gathers and the ships slows. The cloaked adventurer calls down from the crow's nest that visibility is limited to the point he can barely make out the deck. The rain continues as the captain calls for the crew in the rigging to pull up the sails.

Please make Perception checks

tieren
2016-11-30, 04:53 PM
Larz does his best to whistle a merry tune while gong about his work in the rigging.

Perception:
[roll0]

cobaltstarfire
2016-11-30, 05:31 PM
Rylie only comes on deck to work on the repair of old battle damage, she likely spends more of the day bellow decks than above.

[roll0]

Croverus
2016-12-02, 02:04 PM
Up in the rigging, Larz spots two shadows, some kind of winged creatures perhaps, glide alongside the ship, obscured somewhat by the mist. Rylie, leaning somewhat over the side of the railing to examine some damage on t he outside of it caused by grappling hooks, looks up in time to see a form pass just feet from her. The mist makes details hard to notice but she makes out a creature with wings or flippers, a span of 8 feet across. Th creature glides past almost silently. It has not distinct head or neck but a mouth on its underside is visible, with eyes on the side of it's body. It falls back tot he water, making almost no splash. A second form rushes past Rylie and then lands against the outer hull below the deck-line, a loud slapping sound as it's wide, relatively flat body smacks into the wood and it seems to suction itself to the outer hull about 10ft below Rylie. It has a pair of long, thin tails with barbed spikes on the end that whip about defensively and Rylie can hear crunching as it seems to be biting into the wood.

cobaltstarfire
2016-12-03, 09:14 PM
Rylie growls deep in her throat, but resists the urge to breath on the creature. Faint wisps of cold dance around her face as she turns and roars towards the crew.

"The ship is under attack!

tieren
2016-12-05, 10:42 AM
Larz calls below:

Ahoy on deck, movement to port side (assuming it is on the port side) Large shapes in the mist.

If larz is aware of the one on the hull and has line of sight to it, he will try to hit it with an eldritch blast, otherwise he is going to make his way down from the rigging to the deck to report to the master at arms for combat orders.

yutikohyla
2016-12-09, 10:13 PM
Torin rushes up from the cabins. He grabs his staff so he might parry incoming attacks. He peers into the mist trying to see anything. [roll0]

tieren
2016-12-20, 01:24 PM
After missing with the eldritch blast, Larz begins to carefully climb down to the main deck.