PDA

View Full Version : An unusual situation for a Construct

zambosa
2016-10-11, 02:08 PM
To make a long story short, my sorcadin(sorcerer/paladin) found a way to build a flesh golem(with magical help) without violating his oath, using only bodies that were donated for experiments, and without forcibly binding a soul(A lot of work on my part and the DM allowed it).

At any rate he also found a way to give it sentience with the help of another wizard(More headache) and yet remains the construct type without becoming a "living construct"(DM's ruling)

Said construct was also allowed to gain class levels(Which shocked me and was ruled by the DM) and this is where we have a problem.

The construct is currently set as a sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple 8(Could have given it a much better class choice but I'm trying to avoid the DM throwing the book at me lol)

My problem is that I am setup for Dragon apotheosis at level 10 Dragon Disciple which changes the constructs type to dragon(which is a bit of a mess since the construct has no constitution score.)

The half dragon template states "A half-dragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here. "

Would that mean that the traits of the construct type(Immunity to poison, sleep,paralysis, stunning, and so forth) be retained even though the type is changing to dragon? Would the Construct gain a constitution score? Or just die from the transformation since they do not have a constitution score and are now "living"?

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

Necroticplague
2016-10-11, 02:25 PM
The half dragon template states "A half-dragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here. "

Would that mean that the traits of the construct type(Immunity to poison, sleep,paralysis, stunning, and so forth) be retained even though the type is changing to dragon? Would the Construct gain a constitution score? Or just die from the transformation since they do not have a constitution score and are now "living"?

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

No. the traits of the type are intrinsic to having the type unless you have something that says otherwise (like human heritage does). They would not gain a con score, since nothing explicitly says they gain one. As a result, they would still not be alive. However, alive and dead aren't the only two possibilities.

InvisibleBison
2016-10-11, 02:30 PM
According to the Monster Manual (p. 209), when a template changes a creatures type it gains the augmented <x> subtype, where <x> is its old type, unless the template says otherwise. Half-dragon template does not say otherwise, so your golem is going to be a Dragon (Augmented Construct). This means he gets the traits of a dragon and the features of a construct, except as overridden by the specifics of the half-dragon template. As I understand it, that means he's got the following traits and features:

Traits
-60' darkvision and low-light vision
-Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects
-Proficient with all simple weapons and whatever weapons are mentioned in its entry (since it is humanoid in form)
-Proficient with no armor
-Eats, sleeps, and breaths
Features (these only apply to his racial HD)
-d12 Hit Die (normally d10, overridden by half-dragon)
-3/4 BAB
-No good saves
-6+Int skill points (normally 2+int, overridden by half-dragon)

As for the Constitution issue, I'm not sure if there's any RAW answer. I'd keep the golem as non-living, and thus with a null Constitution, with all the effects thereof.

zambosa
2016-10-11, 10:16 PM
Thank you both for clearing this up :smallsmile: