PDA

View Full Version : How common are "casual" or "comedic" 5e campaigns?

Albions_Angel
2016-10-11, 03:31 PM
So this is an odd one, and I am not looking to start an argument. I have a small sample size and may have just been unlucky, but I wanted to ask about 5e games played by people I consider more experience than your average player.

In my (limited) experience, it would seem 5e games are more predisposed to slapstick comedy or overly fanciful caricatures. Here is my questionable, anecdotal evidence.

As far as 3.5e goes, I have been with one group for 4 years, and been in the same club as 2 other groups during that time. The tables were full of laughter and fun but the content of the games was serious and the laughter was more like campfire jokes and comments than laughter at the game.

With that group, we did play a brief 5e premade 3rd party campaign. It wasnt to our liking and we stopped, but before we did, we all noted that the grey text seemed to have a LOT of slapstick. The mayor of the town was farcical. The Orcs were dimwitted and moronically clownish. The grey text made light of orcish raids, and storming the orcish encampment included an "encounter" with orcish toddlers in a brightly coloured orcish playpen. We were all a little uncomfortable about that (even the DM) but the grey text seemed to strongly hint that we were supposed to kill the toddlers, retrieving a plot-important ring from one of their nappies. We were a good only party and the grey text asked that all players be good or neutral. Very odd. But it was 3rd party.

I also played a longer 5e campaign with a housemate as DM. His first time DMing and his second ever game. It was full of slapstick, and if you could make him laugh, your character could do it. At one point a party member broke a staff and basically nuked a city. Thousands died. No consequences and the players fell about laughing (all 5e players of at least one game) while I was sat there in some confusion.

I also watched the above DM as a player in another game. Different group of people save for him. Again, very comedic. They snuck up on a sleeping Wyvern at one point. I was expecting them to creep into ideal battle positions and get a surprise round of combat, maybe 2 if the DM was nice or the rolls were good. Nope, the Wizard asks if he can see the Wyverns bottom. The DM considers for a long time, then says "Yup" and the wizard announces he rams his hand up the dragon and casts shocking grasp. Everyone falls about laughing and when the DM recovers he announces that the electricity travels up through the dragon and stops its heart. Queue the rogue yelling "We fisted a dragon to death!" and more laughter.

But that was all overlapping groups, right?

Well now I have a new group in a new city and I am about to start a 3.5e campaign. They are all first time 3.5e players but have all played at least one 5e game each. 3 from the same group, one from a different one who has played several 5e games.

In a break in character creation, I ask them about their other games, and all of them trot out stories, lots of stories, of mistakenly getting married to an orc due to a language barrier (oh ho! Interesting plot developing, maybe an escape, or a jail break, or getting kidnapped by a rival orc faction or...) and having to fake enjoying the first night of the marriage. Or accidentally hiding from the town guard in the brothel as concubines, only to be sold to a passing trader for use in his harem. Or getting into a literal pissing contest with a giant. All toilet or sexual humor.

It sort of confuses me. Its the sort of thing I would expect to see from 12 year olds who have found the "Book of Erotic Fantasy", not "seasoned" D&D players. Sure, sometimes that can be fun, but my memories of campaigns are rarely the comedic moment and often the heroic ones, or the desperate ones, or the ones where I died saving the party or they died saving me.

Am I just (un)lucky in my experiences of 5e? Is 5e written in a way that suggests a more cartoony version of D&D that breeds this kind of thing? Is it a more causal system? Do you guys have ANY idea why my experience of 3.5e games (both IRL and over on the 3.5e boards) seem to be more serious than 5e ones? Those of you that were 3.5e before 5e, have you noticed a change?

I should say, I have no issue with other people playing the game like that. Its not for me, but each to their own. All power to them. Just curious if there genuinely is a trend.

JellyPooga
2016-10-11, 03:57 PM
I think you may have just had a bad 5ed experience. If anything, I've found 5ed to be a little more grounded than either 3ed or 4ed, which both had a tendency to go off the rails with crazy builds and campaigns that stretched the bounds of verisimilitude.

Perhaps it's that very grounding, in which an army of goblins is still a threat to high level characters for example, that has driven your group to find the "crazy" elsewhere. "If there's no rules for it, you have to make it up", kind of thing.

If that's the kind of game that your group enjoy and you're finding you don't join in the humour so much, perhaps it's time to find another group or try another system.

The One Ring, for example, is a very good system for grounding a group that's prone to silliness; the "sacrosanct" nature of the original source material encourages a more sober approach to plot-lines and character interactions. You even get mechanically penalised for the sort of non-heroic deeds you described and you get rewarded for being particularly heroic (you can even benefit from dying heroically!).

Thrudd
2016-10-11, 04:04 PM
Obviously, this has nothing to do with editions, it's just the people you're playing with. Silliness happens in all role playing games. 5e is no more or less silly than all other editions.

Falcon X
2016-10-11, 05:33 PM
Obviously, this has nothing to do with editions, it's just the people you're playing with. Silliness happens in all role playing games. 5e is no more or less silly than all other editions.
I largely agree, though 5e might allow for it more.

First off, if you look at monster blocks in the monster manuals of 5e and 3.5. 3.5 tends to be more straightforword in presenting "just the facts", while 5e plays of some of the flavor of the creatures. It really is a way for the writers to make each creature seem unique and fun.

Secondly, 5e is built for you to focus less on the build of your character and more on what you do with that character. Some of this might lend itself to casual gaming.

HOWEVER, I have actually seen 5e produce more serious games for the same reasons. In 3.5, it was easier to create ridiculous or overpowered characters, thus allowing slapstick to happen just based on what characters could do. 5e doesn't allow for special powers that just make everything insane.
The focus on long campaigns and normal character builds have also helped more people to take the gameplay seriously.

At the end of the day, I think it was just the mood of your group at the time.

mgshamster
2016-10-11, 05:48 PM
It's mostly the group. Im playing a serious game, but there were a tone of jokes and laughs when we had a player who was more likely to make jokes and laugh about horror.

Since he left the game (due to a job), it's become more somber

However, if you're looking for a more light hearted game, try using the rest variant that changes short rests to 15 minutes and long rests to one hour. And cut enemy HP in half. That will create a more lighthearted adventure.

Sigreid
2016-10-11, 06:26 PM
It's a combination of bad modules and group mood. Nothing remotely like that has happened in any of the 5e games I've been part of. In fact I've never had anything like that in any of the RPGs I've played, except when everyone was drunk...

JumboWheat01
2016-10-11, 06:45 PM
It's definitely a group thing. The group I'm in is definitely a lot more light-hearted bunch, we enjoy a good laugh and just fooling around. Even with our DM's more "serious" world, we get our kicks in. Even our deaths are fun, I lost my last character because I tried to calm a ghost by singing a tawdry tavern song.

2D8HP
2016-10-11, 10:18 PM
OOC silly comments sure (maybe mostly from me), but in-character silliness?
No not really, and I've played with a few different groups.
I really don't have an explanation for what you experienced.
I'm really curious if it continues for you.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-12, 06:24 AM
I think it was partly the 3rd party module, which sounds totally idiotic and not at all in line with 5e or D&D at all, really. And then a case of a group that you joined in (you were the outsider, they enjoyed the stupid humor). Next were the stories:
1 - the Orc marriage thing was likely a lie. That's a long-running meme on Reddit, and while quite funny, it started in a humorous campaign and then became "internet famous" as a story about critical-fails in D&D.
2 - everyone remembers different stuff, if they're even remembering honestly and not just +1ing each other. If you had started with a tale of epic heroism, you would have probably heard more stories like that.

I've also found that in-game humor can be the sign of a weak DM. They let players get away with whacky, stupid stuff because they can't tell them no - they've lost all control of the table, or they don't know how to reign in the shenanigans. It's similar to a DM who can't keep players on task, and the table just devolves into 2hrs of people looking up silly YouTube videos to watch together.

I'm a player in a campaign with that problem right now. I end up having to step up and snap everyone else out of their stupid outbursts (DM included) so that we can get back to task. Last session we had 2 girls at the table just go totally bonkers with descriptions of how they were essentially torturing an enemy who simply wouldn't die. It got to a point where other players at the table were kind of put-off by the level of juvenile sadism on display. They weren't making attack rolls, mind you - they were just describing hypotheticals and so on. The DM started this by not simply killing the bandit when he went down. He was the last enemy alive and had been knocked prone. One character delivered an overhead chop with a great axe, and connected. Boom. Should have died right there. Coup-de-grace, instant Crit, dead. But no. So the Wizard comes up and stabs down with her sword. Again - should have died. But no. Cue stupid...