PDA

View Full Version : What is this feat called?

SangoProduction
2016-10-11, 06:05 PM
EDIT: I do recall there being a feat that allowed you to cast a spell without the appropriate level in a casting class. I think it was used in tricks to get early access in to some PRCs.
It wasn't called Magic Initiate. Thus my problems, lol.

Venger
2016-10-11, 06:10 PM
I know magic initiate gives some low level spells for taking the feat. But I can't find the book it's in, and Google is just giving me a load of 5e. Seriously I'm looking for 3.5, you bastard search engine!

I don't think there's a 3.5 feat called "magic initiate." do you remember what slas it gave?

SangoProduction
2016-10-11, 06:22 PM
I don't think there's a 3.5 feat called "magic initiate." do you remember what slas it gave?

Oh. There isn't...oh. OK. I was reading a 5e forum...god damn it. Well, I do recall there being a feat that allowed you to cast a spell without the appropriate level in a casting class. I think it was used in tricks to get early access in to some PRCs.

That association is probably what made me think it was 3.5...well, do you know of the feat that I described?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-11, 06:22 PM
Are you talking about Initiate of Mystra?

That's Player's Guide to Faerun.

eggynack
2016-10-11, 06:23 PM
There're a ton of initiate feats spread across a number of books, and I think they all add some spells to your list and grant some neat ability. Checking a filter, it looks like they show up in races of destiny, dragon magic, power of faerun, champions of valor, player's guide to faerun, and champions of ruin. There are also some feats without the initiate category but that are basically initiate feats, and those are in eberron campaign setting and faiths of eberron (and perhaps some I don't know about). There are some in dragon magazine too, particularly 342. So, yeah, I think that's most of them. Could be missing some here or there though.

Name1
2016-10-11, 06:23 PM
I think that feat is a 5e feat. I haven't seen a 3.5 version anywhere...

EDIT: That teaches me to leave the reply window open... Anyway, if you want SLAs, you could take a Dragonmark...

Troacctid
2016-10-11, 06:24 PM
You're probably thinking of Magical Training, which is the closest 3.5 analogue to the 5e feat.

Zanos
2016-10-11, 06:26 PM
Oh. There isn't...oh. OK. I was reading a 5e forum...god damn it. Well, I do recall there being a feat that allowed you to cast a spell without the appropriate level in a casting class. I think it was used in tricks to get early access in to some PRCs.

That association is probably what made me think it was 3.5...well, do you know of the feat that I described?
Precocious Apprentice can get you a 2nd level spell at first level, but is kind of dysfunctional.

Magical Training gives you a handful of cantrips.

SangoProduction
2016-10-11, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help you guys.

Venger
2016-10-11, 06:49 PM
EDIT: I do recall there being a feat that allowed you to cast a spell without the appropriate level in a casting class. I think it was used in tricks to get early access in to some PRCs.
It wasn't called Magic Initiate. Thus my problems, lol.

did you need access to a specific spell, or prc? or were you just trying to enter a prc that said "cast xth level spells" or similar? that might help us narrow it down

Thaneus
2016-10-12, 01:07 AM
I remember:
Versatile Spellcaster+Highten Spell
Earthspell
Sanctuariy Spell

They are used for a lot of early entry tricks to get 3rd level spell with level 1 like in the warmage 1+rainbow servant 10... or do i get you question wrong?