PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Swordsage

PunkManiak
2016-10-11, 09:31 PM
I'm working on a character idea for my first time playing the game. I'm working on developing the Frost Elves, which is something of a custom race.

The characters core things which I will need to look into are sneak attacks, and sneaking so he can serve as back-up for thieves. Movement speed, acrobatics, and climbing for quick running and movement, and lastly on the skills, I kind of wanted to make the character a drummer, or performer for a bit of quick cash.

As for weapons, this is about to get tricky. He would wield a hunting knife for sneak attacks, throwing knives for ranged attacks, originally used for hunting, and then the big problem. The character's main weapon is tricky, it's something of a greatsword crossed with a Bo staff. It's long slender and built like something of a needle. It would act like a greatsword but be wielded like a Bo staff, great sweeps, lunging stabs, and spinning slashes. It would be an exotic weapon, I think, and if possible the damage would be based on his dexterity.

As for armor, I was intending for the character to wear nothing but light armor, most likely leather or animal fur. His main means of defense would be dodging, which would hopefully be boosted by his wisdom. His Three main stats would be Dexterity, Wisdom, and Constitution, with Charisma as his dump stat.

Does anyone know how to build a character like this starting at level 1?

Rebel7284
2016-10-11, 10:01 PM
Perhaps use the stats for Spiked Chain for your main weapon? Then you can use Shadow Blade to add Dex to damage. Also, a level of Hit and Run Sneak attack Fighter gives you Dex to Damage against flat footed opponents and Sneak attack as a class feature so that you can take something like Craven to boost your damage output.

PunkManiak
2016-10-11, 10:20 PM
Part of the reason I'm going with swordsage, is for the Desert Wind Maneuvers, which hopefully I'll be permitted to re-fluff as Arctic Wind. This is in part, because at the character's core, he's supposed to be attuned to the cold. (If possible, I'd like to look into the homebrew Falling Star for it's maneuvers affecting ranged combat, that's if they affect throwing knifes.)

I'm more trying to work out the kinks and make it so I can start as this kind of character starting at level 1, and moving forward in a campaign. If possible, I may want to add Dancing under performance, as a minor skill, and maybe if it's covered a bit of crafting for whiskey.

TBH, I'm hoping to find an online game I might be able to get into, and I'm probably going to have to discuss this stuff with a DM.

PunkManiak
2016-10-12, 01:37 PM
Anyone, able to help me iron out the kinks in the class build?