PDA

View Full Version : Remove Class Levels?

ArtikSnow
2016-10-11, 09:55 PM
Is there anyway to remove class levels from a class you do not want.

Malimar
2016-10-11, 10:06 PM
Let a wight punch you a few times. Fail your Fortitude saves when the negative levels turn into level loss.

flappeercraft
2016-10-11, 10:07 PM
Is there anyway to remove class levels from a class you do not want.

Get negative levels from any source that can be permanent and purposely fail the save. Although this only works for the most recent levels IIRC

ArtikSnow
2016-10-11, 10:12 PM
Let a wight punch you a few times. Fail your Fortitude saves when the negative levels turn into level loss.
I thought of that but I ment as in loose levels from a class and put it in an other because I'd prefer not to loose and instead put them in other class I already have that benefits me more.

Malimar
2016-10-11, 10:22 PM
I thought of that but I ment as in loose levels from a class and put it in an other because I'd prefer to out them in other class I already have that benefits me more.

You can do that with negative levels, you just gotta re-earn the experience. Or possibly use a Thought Bottle. (Though some DMs might require you to take the same levels as you lost, especially if you use a Thought Bottle.)

There are also retraining rules in Player's Handbook 2. Retraining class levels requires working with your DM and going on a special quest.

Morcleon
2016-10-11, 10:24 PM
You could always use PHB2's retraining rules to retrain those class levels into something that you do want.

Crake
2016-10-11, 10:51 PM
You can do that with negative levels, you just gotta re-earn the experience. Or possibly use a Thought Bottle. (Though some DMs might require you to take the same levels as you lost, especially if you use a Thought Bottle.)

There are also retraining rules in Player's Handbook 2. Retraining class levels requires working with your DM and going on a special quest.

You could also just, you know, cast restoration?

You could always use PHB2's retraining rules to retrain those class levels into something that you do want.

Reselecting class levels comes under rebuilding, not retraining, which requires a bit more work on the DM's side of things, requiring an adventure and whatnot, unless the DM just handwaves it I suppose. The negative level method works perfectly fine for this, is core, doesn't require DM approval, and requires less effort beyond finding/making a wight then casting restoration. The only thing it cannot do is replace your first class level (assuming you have no racial HD).

Emperor Tippy
2016-10-12, 03:17 AM
The only thing it cannot do is replace your first class level (assuming you have no racial HD).

You get around that by getting afflicted with Lycanthropy.

Step 1: Store your XP in a Thought Bottle.
Step 2: Craft Contingent Break Enchantment on yourself.
Step 3: Craft Contingent Surge of Fortune on yourself.
Step 4: Get yourself level drained down to 1 class HD.
Step 5: Store your current XP total in a second Thought Bottle.
Step 6: Get drained down to 0 class HD.
Step 7: Use second Thought Bottle to gain 1 level.
Step 8: Activate Contingent spells to cure Lycnthropy.
Step 9: Use first Thought Bottle to regain all other XP.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-12, 05:19 AM
You get around that by getting afflicted with Lycanthropy.

Step 1: Store your XP in a Thought Bottle.
Step 2: Craft Contingent Break Enchantment on yourself.
Step 3: Craft Contingent Surge of Fortune on yourself.
Step 4: Get yourself level drained down to 1 class HD.
Step 5: Store your current XP total in a second Thought Bottle.
Step 6: Get drained down to 0 class HD.
Step 7: Use second Thought Bottle to gain 1 level.
Step 8: Activate Contingent spells to cure Lycanthropy.
Step 9: Use first Thought Bottle to regain all other XP.

Ooh, that is quite clever. Afflicted Lycanthropy has LA +2, though, so a level-drained lycanthrope can't go lower than ECL 3 (1 RHD, 2 LA). That's easily dealt with by storing XP in the second thought bottle at 4 HD instead of 1, but it's worth noting.

Are there any other acquired and removable templates which can stick some RHD on a humanoid, or is Lycanthrope the only option for that?

Edit: taking another look at the thought bottle, I'm not sure if this works.

When a user’s experience has been stored within the bottle, he can subsequently access the bottle to restore his XP total to exactly what it was when it was last stored, negating any levels lost in the interim
"Negating any levels lost in the interim" gives me the impression that the character would regain the exact levels they lost, with identical class/feat/skill/spell/etc selection(s).

Kaje
2016-10-12, 06:15 AM
Die, create a suspiciously similar new character.

ShurikVch
2016-10-12, 06:46 AM
1. Read and study the Darklight Codex ten hours daily for three months.
2. Turn into 1st level Darklight Wizard
3. Tell your DM you will get at-will cost-free Animate Dead at 5th level, and 9th level spells - at 9th.
4. Ask to change class
5. Profit!