PDA

View Full Version : Revised Ranger fun

Naanomi
2016-10-11, 10:48 PM
Wizard guy causing problems, we try to ambush him on the docks but he knows because wizardry... but we still are spread about the battlefield advantageously

I win initiative, advance and throw a net at him. Entangling strike. Pet gets a free attack, giant crab hits and grapples. On its action, crab goes over the edge into the water. Wizard is triple strength check locked, can't verbal underwater, and is drowning.

So far pretty satisfied with Beastmaster Mk. 2

Foxhound438
2016-10-12, 04:12 PM
+10 respect for using crab friend

But yeah, that's pretty cheeky and good, lol. the net was probably overkill.

ZX6Rob
2016-10-12, 04:22 PM
The new Ranger is amazing. I'm having a blast with my own Deep Stalker, but the temptation to re-roll him as a Beastmaster was incredible.

What do you call your crabby companion?

Naanomi
2016-10-12, 06:23 PM
He started with a more serious fantasy name but at the insistence of the party he is called Zoidberg

Sigreid
2016-10-12, 06:27 PM
The new Ranger is amazing. I'm having a blast with my own Deep Stalker, but the temptation to re-roll him as a Beastmaster was incredible.

Because I'm not really an underdark fan I keep calling it the Dark Stalker Conclave in my mind since the powers work really well in the dark...underdark not required.

Oramac
2016-10-13, 02:30 PM
Because I'm not really an underdark fan I keep calling it the Dark Stalker Conclave in my mind since the powers work really well in the dark...underdark not required.

I agree. Screw the Underdark. That place sucks.

Anyway, OP, that's a great story! I'm glad you're having fun with it, and I'm looking forward to playing my own Beast Master as well.

rigolgm
2017-10-01, 09:09 AM
Wizard guy causing problems, we try to ambush him on the docks but he knows because wizardry... but we still are spread about the battlefield advantageously

I win initiative, advance and throw a net at him. Entangling strike. Pet gets a free attack, giant crab hits and grapples. On its action, crab goes over the edge into the water. Wizard is triple strength check locked, can't verbal underwater, and is drowning.

Rangers can easily get the Silence spell too, which can really hamper a Wizard :)

StoicLeaf
2017-10-01, 11:54 AM
you can cast underwater.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/21/can-i-cast-underwater/

Mortis_Elrod
2017-10-01, 08:50 PM

That is true crab fishing.

Potato_Priest
2017-10-01, 09:47 PM
you can cast underwater.
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/21/can-i-cast-underwater/

It might not prevent spellcasting, but I can easily imagine it preventing verbal components, which many spells have.

Saiga
2017-10-01, 09:49 PM
I've looked around at other Sage Advice tweets and Mearls has said it's still possible to do V components underwater, Jeremy has clarified that RAI is that while possible your character won't be holding their breath after doing so (immediately go to suffocation).

Maxilian
2017-10-02, 08:39 AM
I really want to play something like this (Ranger with Crab pet, sadly the Crab is not a valid option for Revised Ranger, so i had the idea mainly to use it with a PHB Ranger, but maybe i will try to sweet talk my DM into it :P )

Naanomi
2017-10-02, 08:52 AM
I really want to play something like this (Ranger with Crab pet, sadly the Crab is not a valid option for Revised Ranger, so i had the idea mainly to use it with a PHB Ranger, but maybe i will try to sweet talk my DM into it :P )
It fits the 'other pets' optional guidelines though

Maxilian
2017-10-02, 09:46 AM
It fits the 'other pets' optional guidelines though

True, for some reason i forgot it was not out of the possibilities (and in general, it will always be better with that Ranger as you can increase your pet hit chance -so easier to grapple and increase the grapple scape save)

Easy_Lee
2017-10-02, 03:21 PM
I've looked around at other Sage Advice tweets and Mearls has said it's still possible to do V components underwater, Jeremy has clarified that RAI is that while possible your character won't be holding their breath after doing so (immediately go to suffocation).

Seems like that ought to have been in the book. I know some folks around here are unimpressed with the underwater rules.