PDA

View Full Version : [MitP] Echo of the Red

adanedhel9
2007-07-10, 10:29 PM
This critter's been in my monster book for some time, but I've never actually used it. I really don't know where the idea came from: I think the name just kinda popped into my head, and the rest of the creature followed.

ECHO OF THE RED
Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 7d12 (45 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 deflection), touch 16, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-
Attack: Incorporeal touch +6 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +6 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Clamorous aura, thundering touch
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, immunity to sonics, undead traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str -, Dex 17, Con -, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Listen +13, Spot +13
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Dodge
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 8-12 HD (Medium); 13-16 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Points of blood-red light accompany a din of vague screams and explosions. The noise is so loud that few other sounds can penetrate it. The points continuously rearrange themselves, floating up and down, back and forth, tracing a vague humanoid form.

The Echoes of the Red are the spirits of those who have died violent deaths in extremely loud environments (typically battlefields). They roam the area in which they died, seeking peace and quiet, but never realizing that they are the source of the noise they flee.

Echoes attack anything that creates noise, continuously hoping to end their torment. If a silence spell is ever used on an Echo, or if some other method is used to diminish its sound, it instantly becomes peaceful, though it will still defend itself. Only under these circumstances is any meaningful communication with the spirit possible.

COMBAT
Echoes of the Red rarely bother with tactics or strategy; they simply charge attack until their opponents are dead. When attacking a group, they often will focus on the creature making the most noise, though some Echoes have memories of what killed them and will preferentially attack similar creatures.

Clamorous Aura (Ex): An Echo of the Red continuously emits an extremely loud noise. This noise varies from Echo to Echo, but is never identifiable as any particular creature or event. This noise drown out all other sound, making speech useless and otherwise disrupting creatures within 60 feet of the Echo. All such creatures act as if deafened, taking a -4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically failing any Listen checks, and suffering a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components. These effects continue for 1 minute after leaving the aura.

Thundering Touch (Ex): The incorporeal touch attack of an Echo of the Red acts similarly to a Thundering weapon. On a successful critical hit, the touch deals an extra 1d8 sonic damage, and the target must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or be deafened permanently. The save DC is Charisma-based.

DracoDei
2007-07-10, 11:45 PM
Short and unique... sonic based attacks are the rarest sort to so more variety is always nice.
MitP Vote: Yes

KingGolem
2007-07-11, 08:07 AM
I agree with DracoDei. It's an interesting monster and its stats are short, sweet, and to the point. And that is why you recieve my

MitP Vote: Yes

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-11, 08:45 AM
I say yay. MitP: Yes

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:15 PM
Very nice. MitP Vote: Yes.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 09:45 PM
Great monster; I've gotta use it in my next horror adventure. And yes, sonics are virtually ignored in most designs. I've played entire campaigns where they never came up.

MitP Vote: YES

Frank
2007-07-31, 03:58 AM
Concise and well written. Most people would have mentioned the irony of the monster's existence. I'm glad you didn't.

MitP Vote: Yes.

Matthew
2007-08-01, 09:34 PM
Nice work.

MitP: Yes