PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Move at Full Speed in Armor?

Erit
2016-10-12, 12:15 AM
So far in 3.5 I've found 4/9 levels in Knight, and the Champion of Corellon Larenthion PrC. Are there any other ways to get past the speed reduction of medium/heavy armor that don't hinge on having someone to cast Knight Unburdened on you every few hours?

Zanos
2016-10-12, 12:21 AM
Tooth of Savnok pg. 79 in Tome of Magic. Technically only 2k gp, but is specifically listed as being unique. Also comes with some downsides of displaying Savnoks sign/influence.

Adam...?
2016-10-12, 12:28 AM
Dwarves can move their full speed while wearing medium or heavy armor. Of course, their "full speed" is 20 ft., so I imagine that's not the solution you're looking for.

Besides that, a binder who binds Aym can ignore speed reduction from medium or heavy armor, and there are probably at least a few magic items scattered around various splatbooks that can also help.

Venger
2016-10-12, 01:01 AM
Dwarves can move their full speed while wearing medium or heavy armor. Of course, their "full speed" is 20 ft., so I imagine that's not the solution you're looking for.

Besides that, a binder who binds Aym can ignore speed reduction from medium or heavy armor, and there are probably at least a few magic items scattered around various splatbooks that can also help.

Just buy the boots of striding and springing. +10 to movement speed. done. and a +5 to jump if you care. helpful for leap attack and related goodies like sudden leap or battle jump

Kelb_Panthera
2016-10-12, 01:04 AM
Venger has the right of it. Don't worry about getting your full movement in armor, just boost it high enough the reduction doesn't matter. If you're lucky, the DM will just add the boost to your adjusted speed instead of adjusting your total speed (medium and heavy armor reduces your speed by 1/3, rounded to the nearest 5ft increment).

Venger
2016-10-12, 01:15 AM
Venger has the right of it. Don't worry about getting your full movement in armor, just boost it high enough the reduction doesn't matter. If you're lucky, the DM will just add the boost to your adjusted speed instead of adjusting your total speed (medium and heavy armor reduces your speed by 1/3, rounded to the nearest 5ft increment).

Thanks. Yeah that's probably the best bet in most situations. I checked the phb/dmg and I don't see a rule about there being a formula that reduces speed to 1/3 rounded to the nearest 5 foot increment, just the chart. so I think by raw you actually do just add the boost to the adjusted speed. is this rule someplace else?

Zanos
2016-10-12, 01:51 AM
Another suggestion is to use armor that doesn't count as medium or heavy, such as medium armor made of mithral, or heavy armor with the half-weight(underdark) property.

Venger
2016-10-12, 02:03 AM
Another suggestion is to use armor that doesn't count as medium or heavy, such as medium armor made of mithral, or heavy armor with the half-weight(underdark) property.

making it out of darkwood or getting feycraft armor is also an option.

One Step Two
2016-10-12, 05:28 AM
My favorite trick is a dwarf with the Quick trait. 30ft movement speed in full plate! They can even tumble!

Darrin
2016-10-12, 08:35 AM
There's also the Half-Weight armor property in the FR Underdark book. This lets you treat heavy armor as if it were light. Not exactly cheap, though... +3 enhancement.

MisterKaws
2016-10-12, 09:30 AM
Yeah, Tooth of Savnok is the easiest way. Though, you'll probably want to have a Glamered armor and a 1/day Eternal Wand of Lesser Restoration(which your friendly divine caster can cast for you if you don't have UMD), to counter Savnok's annoying influence.

Darrin
2016-10-12, 09:52 AM
Yeah, Tooth of Savnok is the easiest way.

I still think that's a mistake the editors didn't catch. Savnok doesn't have "Dwarven Step", that's Aym's ability.

MisterKaws
2016-10-12, 10:37 AM
I still think that's a mistake the editors didn't catch. Savnok doesn't have "Dwarven Step", that's Aym's ability.

Most likely. Still works, though.

Darrin
2016-10-12, 11:09 AM
Most likely. Still works, though.

How does the lesser restoration help, though? Savnok's influence requires you to never remove any armor/shield/AC item, and if you do, you take a -1 penalty on attacks/saves/checks. So every time you put down a shield or take off a protective amulet/ring, you have to rip the tooth out, put it back in, and wait 24 hours to activate again. I don't see anything about ability damage.

barakaka
2016-10-12, 09:51 PM
The spear named Rapid Wrath from Ghostwalk doubles your movement speed. Even if you went down to half from your armor, you'd be good!

BearonVonMu
2016-10-13, 10:45 AM
Pathfinder has a set of Glamered Full Plate armor (20,000 gold) that is effectively +3 full plate that does not have an armor check penalty or spell failure or speed reduction.
At least, that is how we interpreted the half-filled out wondrous item entry.

darkdragoon
2016-10-13, 11:45 AM
Mithral or dragoncraft to count as lighter armor.

Crake
2016-10-13, 12:07 PM
making it out of darkwood or getting feycraft armor is also an option.

Neither of those two actually affect armor weight category at all.

Erit
2016-10-13, 12:45 PM
Pathfinder has a set of Glamered Full Plate armor (20,000 gold) that is effectively +3 full plate that does not have an armor check penalty or spell failure or speed reduction.
At least, that is how we interpreted the half-filled out wondrous item entry.

Or if one can spare two-three feats, Unhindered Way. Move faster and ignore armor speed reduction. Psionic, sure, but it's subtle enough that it can slide right by in most cases.

It isn't an issue to deal with in Pathfinder, at least to me. Hence why I was asking in terms of 3.5. And so far, the answers I'm getting point in the direction of "This cannot be done before mid levels without a specific racial ability". Binder might be interesting, though it'll be hard to justify on the character concept I was working on when I chose to ask this question; noted for future reference all the same.

Rebel7284
2016-10-13, 03:06 PM
This is probably pretty obvious, but: ride a horse/riding dog/dragon?

Flickerdart
2016-10-13, 03:19 PM
Regardless of how much armour you wear, you fall at the same rate as an unarmoured character.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-13, 03:23 PM
You can steal a Hound of the Hunt's Total Freedom ability.

MisterKaws
2016-10-13, 04:41 PM
How does the lesser restoration help, though? Savnok's influence requires you to never remove any armor/shield/AC item, and if you do, you take a -1 penalty on attacks/saves/checks. So every time you put down a shield or take off a protective amulet/ring, you have to rip the tooth out, put it back in, and wait 24 hours to activate again. I don't see anything about ability damage.

You suck it up and keep all protective items, upgrading as necessary. The penalty is to stop the fatigue from sleeping in heavy armor.

Eisfalken
2016-10-13, 08:22 PM
Regardless of how much armour you wear, you fall at the same rate as an unarmoured character.

O, reverse gravity, how I love thee; let me count the ways...

Erit
2016-10-14, 01:33 AM
This is probably pretty obvious, but: ride a horse/riding dog/dragon?

Because I live to spite mounted combat for all the attention WoTC tries to force us to pay it. That and this campaign involved a lot of cramped spaces in which a mount of any useful description would be a hindrance at best.

MisterKaws
2016-10-14, 02:23 AM
Because I live to spite mounted combat for all the attention WoTC tries to force us to pay it. That and this campaign involved a lot of cramped spaces in which a mount of any useful description would be a hindrance at best.

One level of Windrider and you can get a Druid as a mount. Doubt that'd be useless.