PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feasible ways to aquire Hypersonic Movement & Attack/Combat Speed at epic levels?

Schattenbach
2016-10-12, 09:05 AM
Hello,

I'm interested in what feasible ways - if really necessary, that also including Cosmic Descryer boosted epic magic or using Supernatural Spell to cast Spellcraft DC 0 spells due that Frostburn Fire thingy epic spell component that reduces Spellcraft DC when included as component), I guess ... but no excessive template stacking and such - its actually possible to for creatures aquire hypersonic speed (Mach 5 or higher) Movement & Attack/Combat Speed and the like.

Target line, is, obviously, at least Mach 5 and if that works out, lets see how things will go in increasing that even further, from Mach 20 up to approaching light speed (lets ignore FTL for now).

There's also the need of being capable of being handle (both so that the body doesn't give in and that the mind is able to operate just fine) such high speed, too, so let's not forget that, too, as otherwise the character would just end up some stain at some mountainrange.

Has someone some suggestion about how to actually reach that kind of speed?

MisterKaws
2016-10-12, 09:23 AM
You can do that easily with a Kobold Wizard at lvl 1, y'know...

Jowgen
2016-10-12, 09:35 AM
Footsteps of the Divine with a cheese-boosted duration seems like a good baseline. I did a thread recently about abusing Hallow to this end, and I think Mach 7 was reached straight up (albeit for only 1 round).

Inevitability
2016-10-12, 09:47 AM
A Lightning Thief can effectively reach any speed, and it's easy to be one at epic levels. Combine it with the 'Sun School' feat, which nets you a single attack every time you instantaneously move adjacent to somebody, to destroy entire armies in literally no time.

If you aren't familiar with the Lightning Thief trick, it exploits the DC 80 epic use of Sleight of Hand, which lets you move another creature your size or smaller up to 10 feet in any direction, combined with the ability to make SoH checks as a free action at a -20 penalty.

If you have an equally skilled ally (Body Outside Body works, and so does Ice Assassin), you can continuously move each other, as long as both of you can make a DC 100 check.

Darrin
2016-10-12, 10:26 AM
Zahnik Bhoom (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17943699&postcount=115) can get up to Mach 2 on foot. Add in some flight or a fly like an arrow spell and Mach 4 shouldn't be too hard. I was working on a variant that worked in Drunken Master 2 so you didn't have to charge in a straight line, but I don't think I finished it yet...

There's also the need of being capable of being handle (both so that the body doesn't give in and that the mind is able to operate just fine) such high speed, too, so let's not forget that, too, as otherwise the character would just end up some stain at some mountainrange.

The DMG doesn't have any rules for taking damage from air friction or collision at high speed, so I'm not sure this is necessary yet.

icefractal
2016-10-12, 09:35 PM
Depending how high-power the campaign is:

Permanent Emanation (Consumptive Field)
Requires being able to cast the spell, so probably some Cleric levels but there are other methods. Then you sacrifice an arbitrarily large number of chickens (or whatever).

It gives you NI Strength, which among other things, means you can Jump any distance. But that normally doesn't make you go faster, it just takes longer. Except, the Sudden Leap maneuver (Swordsage/Warblade 1, or get an item that gives it to you) lets you jump your full distance as a swift action. So you can do that DBZ-style jump where you just suddenly appear there in an instant, to any point you can see.

Oh, and incidentally it gives you insta-kill melee attacks (and ranged, if you take Brutal Throw), makes you incredibly durable, and increases your caster level by 50%. Also, if you take one of the throw maneuvers from Bo9S, you can hurl people into orbit.

Zancloufer
2016-10-12, 10:02 PM
Really low optimization, but IIRC there was an Improved Haste spell that doubles speed. Combined with a rather old Dragon, a speed boosting item or feat and the Run feat and they could "sprint" fly at something like 415 KM/h (or like Mach 0.5) pretty much for hours on end.

Trick after that point would be to stack on more speed boosters or multipliers. Longer lasting the better.

Venger
2016-10-13, 12:12 AM
Footsteps of the Divine with a cheese-boosted duration seems like a good baseline. I did a thread recently about abusing Hallow to this end, and I think Mach 7 was reached straight up (albeit for only 1 round).

Even a standard DMM extended persistent spell gets you going pretty darn fast.

Inevitability
2016-10-13, 12:54 AM
Even a standard DMM extended persistent spell gets you going pretty darn fast.

The errata makes it so that the spell is discharged, making it an invalid DMM target.

Venger
2016-10-13, 08:12 AM
The errata makes it so that the spell is discharged, making it an invalid DMM target.

oh does it? that's a pity, so the footsteps of the divine trick won't work anymore.

weckar
2016-10-13, 12:16 PM
If you have an equally skilled ally (Body Outside Body works, and so does Ice Assassin), you can continuously move each other, as long as both of you can make a DC 100 check.Except free actions can only be taken on your own turn, so your movement per round is still rather limited...

Secret Wizard
2016-10-13, 12:26 PM
For Pathfinder, it's pretty easy.

An 18th level Monk of the Four Winds with the Aspect of the Tiger, and a pair of Boots of Speed for reliable Haste, can, once per minute, do a pounce at 1100 feet per second, roughly Mach 5.

MisterKaws
2016-10-13, 12:45 PM
Except free actions can only be taken on your own turn, so your movement per round is still rather limited...

Dvati. notenoughcharacters.

weckar
2016-10-13, 12:56 PM
Dvati. notenoughcharacters.
Touché my friend. Touché...

Anthrowhale
2016-10-13, 06:45 PM
The Clockword Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496834-The-Clockwork-Wizard-Everything-in-no-time) can go any speed relative to the view of a non-Time Stop observer.