PDA

View Full Version : Spell Storing Weapon Spells

ZhanStrider
2016-10-12, 10:48 AM
Alright, we recently found a +3 scimitar of spell storing, but we have a caveat. Whatever spell is cast into it, is there forever. Anytime it hits a creature in melee it discharges that spell.

Only touch and ranged touch spells can be put into it.

What spell should we have an Infinite Spam Sword of?

Segev
2016-10-12, 10:56 AM
If you want straight damage, combust cast by a 10th level or higher caster is almost impossible to beat under the conditions you've given: 2nd level spell (so fits under the 3rd level limit) that does (CL)d8 fire damage as a touch spell.

Necrotic cyst would be fun, if you had somebody who could take advantage of it.

Though thinking about it, bestow curse is probably the nastiest thing you could do. If the DM requires you to pick a specific effect, go for something like "-6 to Con." If he doesn't... well, have fun spamming nasty effects on your targets!

ZhanStrider
2016-10-12, 11:21 AM
If you want straight damage, combust cast by a 10th level or higher caster is almost impossible to beat under the conditions you've given: 2nd level spell (so fits under the 3rd level limit) that does (CL)d8 fire damage as a touch spell.

Necrotic cyst would be fun, if you had somebody who could take advantage of it.

Though thinking about it, bestow curse is probably the nastiest thing you could do. If the DM requires you to pick a specific effect, go for something like "-6 to Con." If he doesn't... well, have fun spamming nasty effects on your targets!

Bestow curse is a good one

Telok
2016-10-12, 12:57 PM
Melf's Unicorn Arrows with a high caster level? No save, no SR, ok damage, knockback.

Wait! Get some metamagic on that sucker. It would be worth a couple psychic reformations to load up as many sudden meta feats and energy adds as possible.

flappeercraft
2016-10-12, 05:04 PM
Slay living, destruction, vampiric touch, greater dispel magic, slow and bestow greater curse could all be good options although due to how it works simulacrum and Ice assasin could be interesting choices. Those could work if there is no spell level limit or something along the lines of that also added on it being there permanently.

barakaka
2016-10-12, 09:40 PM
Really, please make sure to run whatever spell you decide on by your DM. He could be in way over his head and have to sunder the damned thing if he's not careful.

It's spooking season, so I'm gonna suggest some dark stuff.

Seconding flappeercraft's suggestion of Vampiric Touch, as I dig the whole "All powerful as long as I'm doing ____" feel. "Your strength is my stength." This just hits so many nice flavour spots.
As Segev said, Necrotic Cyst (Libris Mortis) could be pretty cool, depending on your friend's alignments.
Ray of Enfeeblement could also be pretty nice. While not as good as Bestow Curse, it may be better for lower OP PCs.
Shivering Touch is also pretty high up there as far as debuffing your enemies is concerned.
Dessicate (Sandstorm) for turning people into raisins.
Poison from the Druid's list is pretty nice.
Death Knell for taking power from the weak.
The Flesh Fails mystery (Tome of Magic) gives ability damage that I presume compounds on multiple hits.
Umbral Touch mystery (Tome of Magic) deals some damage and applies slow and I believe can be applied to a spell storing weapon.
Aberrate (BoVD) could prove cool.
Rotting Curse of Urfestra (BoVD) has a corruption cost, but damn is it cool. Same goes for Seething Eyebane.

A side note is that mysteries are cast as arcane spells by lower leveled Shadowcasters.

Keld Denar
2016-10-13, 12:11 AM
Poison, off the druid list, is pretty solid. 1d10 Con. It has a fort save, but each failure makes it worse, and even one failure is pretty critical. Exactly 3rd level.

Telok
2016-10-13, 12:35 AM
Poison, off the druid list, is pretty solid. 1d10 Con. It has a fort save, but each failure makes it worse, and even one failure is pretty critical. Exactly 3rd level.

Eh, a Fort save, spell resistance, and immunities all make that a sub-par choice in my eyes. At the point at which +4 weapons are running around I'd be looking for either damage that bypasses at least one of the above defenses or a save and/or suck spell.

Troacctid
2016-10-13, 12:47 AM
Remember, it doesn't have to be an offensive spell. You could go with something like Cure Serious Wounds, Vigor, Invisibility Sphere, Fly, Enlarge Person, etc.

Fizban
2016-10-13, 05:22 AM
Second what barakaka said, it's unlikely your DM realizes how powerful this is. The balancing factor of Spell Storing is that you still have to pay for the spell, and he's giving you infinite castings of a spell as part of an attack. That said, remember that metamagic does not increase the actual level of the spell. So take whatever spell strikes your fancy and have it cast as a Twinned Maximized (Rod) Sudden Empowered X, if you want maximum carnage. Or don't do that.

Edit: oh, Telok already got there. Well I gave more detail. Ish.

Mordaedil
2016-10-13, 05:38 AM
Alright, we recently found a +3 scimitar of spell storing, but we have a caveat. Whatever spell is cast into it, is there forever. Anytime it hits a creature in melee it discharges that spell.

Only touch and ranged touch spells can be put into it.

What spell should we have an Infinite Spam Sword of?
By discharge, does that mean it no longer fires? So you get a single shot sword?

Jowgen
2016-10-13, 08:12 AM
Purely for coolness, I suggest Bind to Hell, from FC2.

Every creature you strike the killing blow on with that weapon then has it's soul trapped frozen in Stygia, no save, no SR. Never worry about the BBEG coming back from the dead EVER. :smallsmile:

ZhanStrider
2016-10-13, 09:00 PM
By discharge, does that mean it no longer fires? So you get a single shot sword?

No it's infinite use. The spell just can't be changed.

Calthropstu
2016-10-13, 11:18 PM
Ranged touch or touch eh?

3rd level or less?
Using a sudden twinned, maximized via rod orb would be perfect. Still 3rd lvl, and it is some massive damage, especially from a crit.

Fizban
2016-10-14, 03:55 AM
Oh shall we count the ways. 1: there is no Sudden Twin Spell, 2: the Orb spells are 4th level (unless there's something I'm badly unaware of), 3: the spell stored in a weapon does not multiply on a crit, the best you could do is try to have it roll it's own attack.

If you want a 3rd level spell that deals more damage than Scorching Ray or Combust, try Hailstones at cl 20 for 20d6. Or Chain Missile at cl 20 for 10d4+10 untyped [force].

Zanos
2016-10-14, 04:12 AM
Second what barakaka said, it's unlikely your DM realizes how powerful this is. The balancing factor of Spell Storing is that you still have to pay for the spell, and he's giving you infinite castings of a spell as part of an attack. That said, remember that metamagic does not increase the actual level of the spell. So take whatever spell strikes your fancy and have it cast as a Twinned Maximized (Rod) Sudden Empowered X, if you want maximum carnage. Or don't do that.

Edit: oh, Telok already got there. Well I gave more detail. Ish.
And also that you can't generally full attack with a spell storing weapon and have the spell apply on every attack...

Gurston
2016-10-14, 06:34 AM
Really, please make sure to run whatever spell you decide on by your DM. He could be in way over his head and have to sunder the damned thing if he's not careful.

It's spooking season, so I'm gonna suggest some dark stuff.

Seconding flappeercraft's suggestion of Vampiric Touch, as I dig the whole "All powerful as long as I'm doing ____" feel. "Your strength is my stength." This just hits so many nice flavour spots.
As Segev said, Necrotic Cyst (Libris Mortis) could be pretty cool, depending on your friend's alignments.
Ray of Enfeeblement could also be pretty nice. While not as good as Bestow Curse, it may be better for lower OP PCs.
Shivering Touch is also pretty high up there as far as debuffing your enemies is concerned.
Dessicate (Sandstorm) for turning people into raisins.
Poison from the Druid's list is pretty nice.
Death Knell for taking power from the weak.
The Flesh Fails mystery (Tome of Magic) gives ability damage that I presume compounds on multiple hits.
Umbral Touch mystery (Tome of Magic) deals some damage and applies slow and I believe can be applied to a spell storing weapon.
Aberrate (BoVD) could prove cool.
Rotting Curse of Urfestra (BoVD) has a corruption cost, but damn is it cool. Same goes for Seething Eyebane.

A side note is that mysteries are cast as arcane spells by lower leveled Shadowcasters.

In the spooking season theme Animate Dead, everyone you kill gets up as a zombie to fight for you

Calthropstu
2016-10-14, 06:51 AM
Oh shall we count the ways. 1: there is no Sudden Twin Spell, 2: the Orb spells are 4th level (unless there's something I'm badly unaware of), 3: the spell stored in a weapon does not multiply on a crit, the best you could do is try to have it roll it's own attack.

If you want a 3rd level spell that deals more damage than Scorching Ray or Combust, try Hailstones at cl 20 for 20d6. Or Chain Missile at cl 20 for 10d4+10 untyped [force].

Fine then, sudden maximized, twinned via rod.
Totally thought it was 3rd. Guess you could go lesser, but eh. Chain missle doesn't require an attack roll which is why I didn't suggest it. Barring that, I might go with vampiric touch here. Twinned + Maximized auto hit every time you hit with the sword? Can you say super tank? And no save? The living thing is a nasty drawback though.

And tell me where it says a spell cast through a weapon strike does not get a crit? I know in pathfinder it specifically DOES. Hence super crit magus builds.

Janthkin
2016-10-14, 06:53 AM
Remember, it doesn't have to be an offensive spell. You could go with something like Cure Serious Wounds, Vigor, Invisibility Sphere, Fly, Enlarge Person, etc.I want to second this - storing CSW means infinite healing for one casting of a 3rd level spell, ever.

Janthkin
2016-10-14, 06:56 AM
Remember, it doesn't have to be an offensive spell. You could go with something like Cure Serious Wounds, Vigor, Invisibility Sphere, Fly, Enlarge Person, etc.I want to second this - storing CSW means infinite healing for one casting of a 3rd level spell, ever.

And tell me where it says a spell cast through a weapon strike does not get a crit? I know in pathfinder it specifically DOES. Hence super crit magus builds.

Critical: The entry in this column notes how the weapon is used
with the rules for critical hits. When your character scores a critical
hit, roll the damage two, three, or four times, as indicated by its
critical multiplier (using all applicable modifiers on each roll), and
add all the results together.
Exception: Bonus damage over and above a weapon’s normal
damage, such as that dealt by a sneak attack or the special ability of a
flaming sword, is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

J-H
2016-10-14, 07:13 AM
Touch of Idiocy. Deal 1d6 int, wis, cha damage on-hit, no save. You can't reduce a score below 1, but an allied spellcaster sure can. In the meantime, your weapon is delivering major Will save debuffs while also disabling most spellcasters in 1 to 3 hits.

TIPOT
2016-10-14, 07:40 AM
Touch of Idiocy. Deal 1d6 int, wis, cha damage on-hit, no save. You can't reduce a score below 1, but an allied spellcaster sure can. In the meantime, your weapon is delivering major Will save debuffs while also disabling most spellcasters in 1 to 3 hits.

Generally if you hit a caster though they should probably be dead in 1 to 3 hits.

I think single target save or die are the way forward, Tasha's hideous laughter, hold person bestow curse or poison all seem strong.

J-H
2016-10-14, 08:21 AM
I like the no-save aspect of ToI. Hold Person is great - as long as you're fighting living humanoids. Touch of Idiocy works on everything except constructs and undead.

Fizban
2016-10-14, 09:10 AM
Fine then, sudden maximized, twinned via rod.
There is no rod of Twin Spell, try again.

Already answered, Pathfinder allows it because it's effectively a set of houserules written by people who wanted everything to crit.