PDA

View Full Version : Diplomat [NPC Class]

The Demented One
2007-07-10, 10:54 PM
Diplomat

Diplomats are not heroes or adventurers, but their importance is no less importance for this. Masters of eloquence and oration, a diplomat can be anyone from a respected ambassador to a famed lecturer to a simple rural man who has a way with words. Relying on subtlety and manipulation to achieve their aims, Diplomats can be found in almost every culture, as they are necessary to the proper running of civilization. They are not master swordsman or powerful mages, but even adventuring heroes should think twice before crossing a diplomat.

d4 HD

Class Skills
The Diplomat’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility) (Int), Perform (Oratory) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Speak Language (N/A).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Bonus Feat, Diplomatic Favor

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Bonus Feat

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Feat

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Diplomat class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Diplomats are proficient with daggers, light and heavy crossbows, quarterstaffs, rapiers, and short swords. Diplomats are proficient with light armor, but not with any kind of shield.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
At 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th levels, a Diplomat gains a bonus feat, chosen from the following list. He must still meet all the feat’s prerequisites in order to gain it.

Deceitful
Force of Personality (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Force_Of_Personality,CAd)
Investigator
Iron Will
Leadership
Master Manipulator (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Master_Manipulator,PH2)
Negotiator
Skill Focus
Sweet Talker (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sweet_Talker,CS)
Wanderer’s Diplomacy (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Wanderer~s_Diplomacy,PH2)

Diplomatic Favor (Ex)
A Diplomat can call in favors from his allies. To call upon a character for a favor, that character’s attitude must be at least Friendly. When calling in a favor, the Diplomat must make either a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check. The DC of the check requires on the favor he seeks. A simple favor, such as procuring an inexpensive item free of charge or finding cheap lodgings, typically has a DC of around 10. A more significant favor, such as holding a group of rowdy adventurers in the local lock-up for a week or gaining a meeting with a figure of high standing, typically has a DC of around 20. Finally, a dangerous, very expensive, or illegal favor typically has a DC of around 30. A Diplomat may use this ability a number of times per week equal to half his class level. However, he may not seek a favor from the same character more than once a week.

JackMage666
2007-07-11, 04:21 AM
I gotta say, it's not bad for a 1 level dip, even for a PC. Diplomatic Favor's a pretty nice ability, plus gives some pretty decent skills.

None of which would be necessarily gamebreaking, but I could see a Bard dip in this.

Jallorn
2010-06-25, 04:50 PM
I don't see anyone taking this class all the way through. Too many dead levels.

You at least need a capstone.

arguskos
2010-06-25, 05:12 PM
Jallorn, did you miss the NPC designation? This fits exactly with the other NPC classes and how generally useless they are for PCs.

TDO, I like it, though I question why a given game needs it. The Aristocrat can serve as this role plenty fine. Why create another, more specialized, version of the Aristocrat's role?

sigurd
2010-06-25, 06:11 PM
I think you could make a pretty good argument that pc's would already have the diplomatic favour feat - seems like a natural mechanic to use.

I think it needs at least 2 more skill points and\or a few options for types of diplomat, maybe medium Bab. As it is it is substantially worse than every class (not necessarily a bad thing).

I might use it to build on but right now its too vanilla.

S

Merk
2010-06-25, 06:17 PM
I think this would be better represented as a feat or skill trick (for Diplomatic Favor) instead of an NPC class. An expert can do everything this guy does, minus the bonus feats and the unique ability, but a dedicated "diplomat" is only going to choose feats that go along with that anyway.

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-25, 06:17 PM
I don't see anyone taking this class all the way through. Too many dead levels.

You at least need a capstone.

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't revive ancient threads. Check the rules on Thread Necromancy.