PDA

View Full Version : Is this a new trick?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-12, 06:10 PM
Okay, so we have the fact that spellblades (from Player's Guide to Faerūn) make you immune to a targeted spell, while also allowing you to smack the spell at someone else like a magical tennis racket. Any time you're affected by the spell, you can retarget it elsewhere.

We also have the Spell Stowaway feat (from the Epic Level Handbook) that affects you with a spell you're capable of casting anytime someone casts the spell within 300' (and within Line of Effect, and presumably Line of Sight as well).

So let's say you have Spell Stowaway (Greater Celerity) and a spellblade that's attuned to greater celerity. If an enemy mage casts greater celerity, is there anything stopping you from taking a swing at the incoming greater celerity and bouncing it like a tennis ball at, say, the party druid?

Name1
2016-10-12, 06:16 PM
I believe that doesn't work, simply because you aren't actually targeted by the spell, even if you gain it's benefits. As far as I can see, you only get the magic effect as if it had been cast on you, as opposed you counting as the intended target for all purposes.

I could be wrong though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-12, 06:22 PM
I believe that doesn't work, simply because you aren't actually targeted by the spell, even if you gain it's benefits. As far as I can see, you only get the magic effect as if it had been cast on you, as opposed you counting as the intended target for all purposes.

I could be wrong though.Spell Stowaway does have the following line:

"You are attuned to the magic you chose. If another spellcaster within 300 feet of you uses this magic, you also immediately gain the magic's effect as if it had been used on you by the same caster."

This allows for more than just targeted spells, but "as if it had been used on you by the same caster" means that you're targeted just as though you were the target for the spell.

The wording is a bit loose, but it needs to be in order to prevent being restricted to targeted only spells.

Jowgen
2016-10-13, 09:45 AM
Originally I was going to say that I don't think it quite makes the cut, as the original caster still casts the spell at the target(s) of his choosing and the spell takes effect as intended on it/them.

However, after reviewing the Spellblade's description, I changed my mind.

The spellblade can indeed only be attuned to a targeted spell, but the trigger for its activation is: "when the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell" (emphasis mine).

To "gain the magic's effect as if it had been used on you" very much seems to qualify as being "subjected" to the spell, as far as I can tell. Obviously, neither phrases have proper hard rules terms in them, so DM-discretion applies, but I see it working.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-10-30, 05:12 PM
Now I want to know two things:

1.) What would make good spells and psionic powers for this, either because you want to A.) buff yourself (via regular Spell Stowaway, such as with time stop), B.) buff an ally within range (snake's swiftness, maybe?), C.) screw over an enemy by casting it at yourself and bouncing it at him (transcend mortality), or D.) screw over an enemy by bouncing the spell at him that he targeted at you (dominate monster)?

Here are some I have so far: Anticipatory Strike
Celerity, Greater
Celerity, Lesser
Celerity
Contingency, Psionic
Contingency
Dimension Door, Psionic
Dimension Door
Eyes of the Oracle
Haste
Hustle
Master Earth
Miracle
Plane Shift, Psionic
Plane Shift
Reality Revision
Schism
Snake's Swiftness, Mass
Snake's Swiftness
Synchronicity
Teleport, Greater
Teleport, Mass
Teleport
Temporal Acceleration
Time Stop
Transcend Mortality
Tree Stride
Wish
Word of Recall
And 2.) What would be some unusual ways of using this combo that haven't been mentioned yet? Various teleportation options make it very hard to follow someone (friend or foe) if they 'port out unexpectedly; that's why I have the teleport- and plane shift-type spells in there. Any other ideas?