PDA

View Full Version : DM Help If you were turned to stone, how much would you weigh?

dropbear8mybaby
2016-10-12, 06:43 PM
My group now has two stoned characters that they have to carry for a long, long way before they get to civilisation. This is one of those instances where the weight of something really, really matters.

But how the hell do you work out how much a person, turned to stone, would weigh? I don't even know where to start...

Jormengand
2016-10-12, 06:56 PM
In 3.5, the material components for Flesh to Stone are a reference to the production of limestone, which weighs 2.56 times as much as water, the main constituent part of the human body. Therefore, your weight would be about 2.5 times your weight in life. Limestone is fairly light for stone, but other stone such as granite is 2.7 times as dense as water, so the difference isn't massive.

Cernor
2016-10-12, 07:05 PM
D&D 5e suggests to multiply their weight by 10... But that's a pretty huge overestimate.

Google says muscle and other fleshy matter is approximately 1 g/cc, as opposed to the 2.7 g/cc of granite. Bone is ~3.9g/cc for men or 2.9 g/cc in women, and makes up about 15% of body mass. Overall, you're looking at a mass increase of approximately 2.5x for both men and women (2.51x vs 2.46x).

If all their gear is stoned as well, you can increase that to 3.5-4x to account for all the air gaps which spontaneously became stone. But 2.5x seems plenty heavy enough, especially considering the awkwardness of lugging a statue around.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Max_Killjoy
2016-10-12, 07:07 PM
That was going to be my method, too -- compare density.

denthor
2016-10-12, 07:45 PM
We keep it simple

201 pounds for my female 1/2 orc do not worry about gear multiply by 8 =1,608 pounds of statue

Chipping does no damage lose an arm or other parts does matter.

Professional stone mason or pottery can make things right with damage. Dmg says you even lose hit points with damage.

Is there any thing close? Thorp with less than 50 beings, evil kolbolds that can be hired they will honor a contract. Much fun had contract says transport not fight you owe us for our loss. They never had a chance. Sob

veti
2016-10-12, 07:47 PM
The lightest stone I can think of is pumice, which floats - positively bobs, in fact - in water. If they're turned into that, then they now weigh about one-quarter what they did when they were flesh and blood.

The downside is that if they're made of pumice, large parts of their body will break or abrade off before there's any chance of getting them restored. Which might disappoint people a little.

I would suggest marble as a "reasonable" type of stone to turn them into. Marble has a density of about 2.56 g/cc, so "2.5 times living weight" sounds about right as an approximation.

dps
2016-10-12, 08:10 PM
My group now has two stoned characters

In many groups, it's the players that are stoned :smallbiggrin:

Mr Beer
2016-10-13, 04:54 AM
Humans are pretty close to the density of water (1g/cm ^3) so just multiply by their starting weight by the density of whatever rock you want them to be made of.

Found a long list here:

http://geology.about.com/cs/rock_types/a/aarockspecgrav.htm

Storm_Of_Snow
2016-10-13, 06:01 AM
There's also some cavities which may or may not be filled in with stone on petrification - the digestive tract, respiratory pathways, ear canals and so on, and bones aren't completely solid. That'll affect the weight.

Mastikator
2016-10-13, 10:03 AM
Make the stone porous and keep the mass exactly the same. Super convenient on many fronts.

Bohandas
2016-10-13, 10:08 AM
Make the stone porous and keep the mass exactly the same. Super convenient on many fronts.

That's what I was about to say. Pumice or somehing.

There is the issue of shattering though.