PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lv10 Slayer / Red Mantis Assasin; Advice wanted!

StygianRose
2016-10-13, 12:37 AM
I was hoping that some friendly people could help me with my Red Mantis Assassin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=974912)

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on my spells. General advice is appreciated though.

I'm using the Cleaner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer/archetypes/paizo---slayer-archetypes/cleaner) Archetype and am also a VMC Rakshasa Bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/rakshasa-bloodline) Sorcerer.

This is my first time ever building a PrC, so I'm a little lost. I don't care if my build is the MOST OPTIMIZED EVER, but I'd like to be useful in and out of combat enough that I won't be dead weight. Preferences for out of combat power over in combat power, though.

Krazzman
2016-10-13, 01:51 AM
First of all you should head over to nova''s Pathfinder Optimization Guides Compendium. There you will find a slayer guide. (Can't link because writing from phone).

I would probably go for half elf and try to get the profiency from race if I don't mix something up.

DracoknightZero
2016-10-13, 02:42 AM
Last time i attempted at a red mantis i went for Ranger, the divine tracker archtype that switch out hunters bond for some divine warpriest blessings and the important part: Free prof in favored weapon if you follow Achaekek.

Atm working on another revision where i consider going warpriest, but the dex req is rather heavy if you try to dual whield, so getting the benefit of ranger combat styles is rather handy.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=269585 was my last attempt.

See if you can get some inspiration on how you want to forth, though its not mega optimalized and it have Horizon walker dip for dimension door shenanigans.

Geddy2112
2016-10-13, 12:52 PM
Looks solid. An AC of 16 is a joke at this level though, so you are a major glass cannon. Most things worth their salt can hit you with a 2 on the dice on their main attack. If you are building for this level, I would almost skip armor and go straight for adding to touch AC and CMD via deflection and a ring of protection. I don't see why you need mithral chain, you have no dex bonus so regular chain would save you some gold. You are also at the level where AC is starting to matter less-most of the worst things are targeting saves and touch AC. Not sure if you rolled or bought stats, but I would probably back off the con and add some into dex- slayer has plenty of HD and good fort saves, mantis is only d8 and bad fort but you should still be okay. It will boost reflex, touch AC, and initiative, all very very important.

You don't have a bonus slayer talent at level 4, you get without a trace instead. You have deathwatch eyes so blood reader is a bit less needed anyways. Deathwatch can foil a lot of monster abilities like freeze and detect if people are actually constructs/robots, undead, etc etc. Very handy in and out of combat.

I like the VMC for your build-the +5 to bluff as a swift is very useful out of combat, and resistance to magical lie detection is icing on the cake. The mind reading helps with your high sense motive as well. At 11th level, the bloodline feats are garbage and eschew materials is not great either. I would probably take stealthy for a +4 to your stealth. getting constant nondetection at 15th level is awesome, doubly so for a sneaky assassin type.

The big sells of the crimson mantis assassin are the prayer attack, sneak attack prog, and spells. The other stuff is fun and cool, but not as important. Your current spell selection is pretty good, but I question the need for fabricate disguise with your sleeves of many garments and high disguise/bluff skills. Likewise, glide is meh when you already have feather fall-the times you will need glide over feather fall are virtually never. Vanish is a great call as it is functionally like invisibility in combat; grab greater invisibility at level 4. I would pick up silent image over fabricate disguise every day of the week-even with a lower DC for the level you are at, it is no sv if interacted with, and one of the most powerful spells in the game unless your DM hates illusions.

You will need mirror image up almost every fight to avoid from dying-it is one of the best defensive spells in the game. Alter self is a better option that glide as it is both an out of combat disguise spell and a buff-in addition to boosting strength, you can grab darkvision, LLV, etc etc. When you can get 3rd level spells grab fly, at 4th level greater invisibility and you are set. As a rule, avoid picking up things that allow saves unless it is a very powerful AoE spell or critical for your build-use magic for utility and buffing yourself into next week.

Consider getting at least a rank in all class knowledge skills to help the party, unless you have a bard or wizard covering everything. Anything the party is missing but you have as a class skill deserves at least one.