PDA

View Full Version : D20 SuperHeroes?

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-11, 12:49 AM
is there such a thing? if so: can you please post a link to buy the books?
if not could you please tell me a good system to run a Superheroes campaign, thanks if you do.

-Dean

Koga
2007-07-11, 01:08 AM
Mutants and Masterminds is pretty close.

It's not exactly the d20 system, and The Koga's not even sure is wotc matireal. (Then again he prefers third company stuff rather then big buisness wotc. It tends to be more exotic and passionate!)

Green Bean
2007-07-11, 01:25 AM
Like Koga said, Mutants and Masterminds is probably exactly what you're looking for. It definitely is a d20 system in that it's the only die you'll actually need to run a game. It isn't a WotC game; I think it's done by Green Ronin, who also did the True20 system. The M&M homepage is here. (http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/)

Dhavaer
2007-07-11, 01:30 AM
There's been talk about d20 Spectaculars, an add-on for d20 Modern. Not sure what's happening with it, though.

Leohat
2007-07-11, 01:34 AM
Hero System is pretty much the gold standard for the superhero genre.

Well, ok, GURPS runs a close second.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-07-11, 01:40 AM
I fourth the suggestion of Mutants & Masterminds. It's a d20 system, runs superheroes (and many other genres, in theory) very well, and its character-creation is one of the richest around. Also has some of the most hilarious/awesome archetypal characters around (Doc Otaku being a personal favorite for self-loathing reasons).

You can buy it here (http://www.greenronin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1), or for somewhat cheaper on amazon.com

Kurald Galain
2007-07-11, 05:48 AM
Well, ok, GURPS runs a close second.

GURPS? For supers? No wai!

I'd recommend Aberrant, actually. And TORG. Definitely TORG.

fireinthedust
2007-07-11, 05:18 PM
Mutants and Masterminds all the way! For loads of genres, indeed!

yeah, I heard about the spectaculars, but I think balancing levels of super powers is tough to do (my guess for why nothing's been ehard about it). The jump-in factor of suddenly having massive strength or being impervious to bullets... well, it's hard to do alongside the other class-based powers in d20 games. As well, if you want to play Cyclops or Superman, why should their blasts (doing x damage) be unlimited while the party mage, psion or whoever has a daily limit? (although that's the same issue for low-level wizards and the party archer, but I digress)
and if the system can't do that, replicate the heroes like batman and superman, spiderman or others, it's not going to do its job with the fans.

M&M you jump in at a level (usually 10) and buy your points right there. It's d20, so skills and feats are still game and function; the way their system is set up is more free-form than 3.5 or d20 modern, so you can play anything (ie: it doesn't matter if your +10 damage is from being a trained fighter, a robot or an alien, the modifier to the die roll is still +10).